[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I overcome symbol drawing?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (99KB, 500x637px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
99KB, 500x637px
How do I overcome symbol drawing?
>>
>>2726289
Break everything down into shapes, form and line. Not aspects or objects.

Construction is your friend. Your ally. Treat him well, he fights for you.
>>
>>2726297
What's the difference between shapes and objects?
>>
>>2726408
Literally one dimension.
>>
>>2726408
Shapes are the means to convey the illusion of the image of an object.
An image consists of 2-dimensional shapes. An object is an interpretation of one or multiple shapes.
To learn accurate observation you try not to interpret the shapes but treat them as an abstract composition. You compare the proportions of lines to one another, observe their angles and distances and try to place them accurately.
Think about it, no object = no symbols you could use for it. So thinking about abstract shapes instead forces you to observe carefully.
>>
>>2726413
Are there exercises other than drawing upside down that are good for building this understanding?
>>
>>2726422
Idk where you got the upside down drawing from but you could try painting a lot of skin with emphasis on individual muscle groups and shadow of said groups.
You are bascially seeking to define form, which is impossible without a decent understanding of light.
>>
>>2726289
>>2726422
Practice blind contours. Try to draw objects without looking down at your paper and without lifting up your pen. It's going to feel stupid and the drawing will be bad, but this a technique that helps separate your right and left brain. It teaches your hand to draw what you see without being preoccupied with making everything look like the symbol it represents.

Other things to do: study negative shapes (the space in between shapes), think less about lines and more about shapes/tones, and practice gestures.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.