[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it necessary to have autism to draw like KJG?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 14

File: 1457687717881.jpg (72KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
1457687717881.jpg
72KB, 800x533px
Is it necessary to have autism to draw like KJG?
>>
>>2726206
Autism as in dedication and patience? If that's the criteria, then every successful man and woman in any industry vies for the title of most autistic motherfucker on the face of the earth.
>>
>>2726206
No, just about 30 years of Drawing Every Day mostly from life, nothing autistic about having a solid daily routine.
>>
No, but it helps. Jack Kirby drew in a similar manner, top to bottom like a scanner without any construction.
>>
>>2726208

Someone needs to make a drawabox-esque website called "Autistic Thinking" or something. It'll expound on the magical ingrained talent of people on the spectrum to be hyper focused on particular subjects throughout their lives and offer lesson plans urging you to "release to autist within".

It's a program encouraging the reader to singlemindedly pursue a goal every day, I guess.
>>
No but you definitely need to be autistic to make this thread.
>>
>>2726206
ITT aptitude deniers.

The hypothesis is that everyone is created exactly alike with exactly the same skill-set and only training can develop any skill. Training which develops these skills progress equally for everyone, if they study the same concepts in the same manner.
Of course, this is ridiculous, but arguing with these people i.e. creationists, flat earthers, social science majors etc is hopeless, because their logic is based on self-interest.

No replies needed, just stating facts. Maybe it will sink in over time.
>>
nobody on this board knows stop wasting your time
>>
>>2726234
Not gonna make it.
>>
>>2726234
>The hypothesis is that everyone is created exactly alike with exactly the same skill-set and only training can develop any skill. Training which develops these skills progress equally for everyone

Literally no one ever said or implied that, you dumb fuck.
>>
>>2726206

No, you need to be "just" very precise in your work and have drawn a lot.

He has very, very strong perspective and proportion skills which he perfected. And by perspective I mean that he doesn't think in terms of vanishing points, but "boxes" perspective (in a pic in OP it's only 90 and 45 degrees, I don't think there's a single one with 62.5 degree or 22.5 degree rotated box).

What KJG showcases on his huge cluttered drawings is generally this - that he has big visual library and remembered construction of lots of things by heart.

See at the upper right "I can draw a duck, so rotating camera downwards, opening a beak of a duck and making her "mechanical" by showing decorated construction is no problem".

And that's with all: I can make big mature elephant from the front, so I'll scale it down and make small one from the side.

Hell, see at similarities - small elephant has EXACTLY the same pose with legs like a horse with rider in the front.

And the other horse hind legs have very similar position and same perspective as legs of a human diver.

I'm pretty certain he thinks like that when he constructs his drawings, that's why you see how he jumps from one part of one figure to another and then again to another - he just draws similar things first.

Omitting construction lines is his whole gimmick, but he can do it because he did it thousands of times before and sees the box without drawing it.
>>
I don't see what's so controversial about photographic memory having an impact on one's ability to work. It is so obvious he has something to that effect when you listen to him talk and watch him work, he is able to envision so much beforehand and never stores references anywhere but in his head. It's literally the art world's equivalent of the musician's absolute pitch, which is widely accepted as the rare gift of a select few. Does it mean there is zero hard work involved, or that you need it to produce work of KJG's quality? Absolutely not. But maybe you shouldn't expect to be able to work in exactly the same way, at the same speed - the only problem is if you believe you have to do just that in order to find any meaning in your art.
>>
>>2726234
(You)
>>
>>2726238
So, which statement is wrong?

Is there a difference in skill level between people despite the level of training? assuming the training is identical in every aspect?

or is there a difference in peoples ability to train a skill despite identical training in every aspect?
>>
>>2726259

No one is arguing everyone is equal. People are different. They learn differently. Some have biological advantages (e.g. photographic memory) . Some have environmental advantages (e.g. rich parents or parents who valued discipline - A S I A N S).

But you don't NEED either to train yourself to professional level.
>>
>>2726206
It's really just down to motivation. Even you can 'draw like KJG', but he's spent more time on getting better on being able to draw like that so his drawings look better than when you try it.
>>
File: 455t35t.jpg (99KB, 900x667px) Image search: [Google]
455t35t.jpg
99KB, 900x667px
No.
Proof = I can draw good like him but I'm not autistic
>>
>>2726295
I hope to god this is bait
>>
>>2726295
Is that Marathon?
>>
>>2726268
Okay, in that case we agree. You don't need "talent" to be great.
>>
Just curious, does Kim Jung Gi actually have autism or is it a coping method?
>>
>>2726392
>does Kim Jung Gi actually have autism or is it a coping method?
No he's a normal dude. Some people initially assumed he must have autism because he was doing things no one before had done except for a couple idiot savants, but it's clear now from his numerous demos and interviews and so on that he is a very normal person.
>>
are any of his older drawings up anywhere? Like before he was gud? That's something I'd love to see though I doubt they're out there.
>>
>>2726497
i have some older stuff I'll see if i can find anything not too great
>>
>>2726505
>>
>>2726497
In his books there are some of his older comics he did in his 20's. He was already a pro then though, and they are pretty good, but they do betray that he is human since they should he is constructing everything and planning a lot more, and they lack that same ease and linework/brushwork he has now. They still use pretty inventive perspective though.
>>
File: 2109699476_f4dddcbe_0045.jpg (319KB, 497x700px) Image search: [Google]
2109699476_f4dddcbe_0045.jpg
319KB, 497x700px
>>2726505
I wouldn't call these bad but I imagine if someone posted this in a draw thread or whatever the'd get a pretty tepid reaction
>>
>>2726512
That shows some damn good perspective skills actually and a really good understanding of form, plus a real confidence since there's no underdrawing on them and he's inventing some of them. If someone posted that in a draw thread I'm sure there'd be multiple people asking for their blog.
>>
>>2726512

That shows a higher skill level than anyone posting on /ic/ though
>>
>>2726512
>imagine if someone posted this in a draw thread or whatever the'd get a pretty tepid reaction
>>2726522
>learn to anatomy
might be b8 but I kekked anyway
>>
>>2726512
how long ago was this? pretty rudimentary compared to the giant intricate madness he produces now. impressed by how much he's progressed.
>>
>>2726793
intricate ≠ better

He's improved over the last couple years, but don't be deceived by the simplicity of a sketch into thinking it is somehow lesser. Those little sketches are still done at a very high level.
>>
>>2726821
pretty true, they aren't bad at all. I'd just say those drawings don't possess the same character and uniqueness that his art has now
>>
File: 057_2109699476_27805ebb_0049.jpg (626KB, 984x700px) Image search: [Google]
057_2109699476_27805ebb_0049.jpg
626KB, 984x700px
>>2726825
Eh, I personally like his simple sketches the most. That's where the most character comes through to me, and I think the restraint they have works in their favor. I actually think a lot of his complex work starts to get worse about halfway through his process until he overdoes it and turns it into an overworked overdetailed mess (this happens on his giant demos a lot).
>>
File: 047_2109699476_c9d9e210_0039.jpg (591KB, 984x700px) Image search: [Google]
047_2109699476_c9d9e210_0039.jpg
591KB, 984x700px
>>2726831
His brush pen stuff actually might be my favourite
>>
File: 114_2109699476_078aca3f_0106.jpg (551KB, 742x700px) Image search: [Google]
114_2109699476_078aca3f_0106.jpg
551KB, 742x700px
>>2726832
so simple and yet so expressive <3
>>
File: a425.jpg (194KB, 600x780px) Image search: [Google]
a425.jpg
194KB, 600x780px
>>2726833
This (and the next image since they are one image) is a really awesome one for the way he actually let's the image breathe with some empty space and then the brush pen works really well for those black spots, and the unusual angle makes it super successful imo.
>>
File: a426.jpg (208KB, 600x780px)
a426.jpg
208KB, 600x780px
>>2726834
>>
>>2726834
>>2726833
love love these
>>
File: Cat-Vulture.jpg (390KB, 1443x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Cat-Vulture.jpg
390KB, 1443x1000px
>>
File: street-code-jack-kirby.jpg (720KB, 1600x1090px) Image search: [Google]
street-code-jack-kirby.jpg
720KB, 1600x1090px
>>2726210
Jack Kirby is dead so he's irrelevant and your drawing probably looks better than this picture.
Jack Kirby can't compose worth shit
>>
>>2726223
Only if you truly want to. If you don't want to be "autistic" and not dedicate your time to something you like, by all means go ahead. There's nothing wrong with either pursuing your passion or being a jack of all, master of none
>>
File: you.png (39KB, 417x534px) Image search: [Google]
you.png
39KB, 417x534px
>>2726209
>>
>>2726859
Did he compensate for the lack of form unity with hue? I don't know much about Jack Kirby's work.
>>
>>2726869
Having only one symptom of a disorder that is difficult to diagnose and requires a doctor to do so do not mean he has it. If you just are going by obsessive qualities then all professionals in any field would be considered autistic.
>>
>>2726869

You presumably draw regularly and have an intense interest in it.

And if you don't
>not gonna make it

So I guess all artists are autists.
>>
>>2726869

Having am intense passion and drive for something like art or making music isn't autistic because its a matter of practicality. You want to get good so you have to devote a great deal of time for it.

Having an interest in trains and only trains and knowing everything about them for the sake of being interested is autistic since theres no practical value to having such an in-depth knowledge of a benign interest
>>
>>2726869

The point in this definition is the thing said person is obsessive and repetitious about is fucking weird. Just doing a generic activity every day isn't autistic. Look at that guy on deviant-art who draws the exact same fucking picture with minor differences over and over and says it's a new character he's invented. Being really good at something and doing it every day has nothing to do with compulsively repeating an action.
>>
>>2726874
>>2726879
>>2726881
you redditors fall for bait hard. i like his drawings. i dont know who he is because ive started venturing into other boards.

OP should have got a better quality pic.
>>
>>2726859
this is really close to being great, but the bottom left half goes full retard with the perspective, its like everyone is falling in to a pit
>>
>>2726359
Then wtf did you shit up this thread for
>>
>>2726888
>Merely pretending
>>
>>2726888
He is quite a big guy to be honest.
>>
>>2727262
from your point of view
>>
>>2726869
That means literally every person who is highly skilled in their profession is autistic.
>>
Autism anon, really?

Fucking pick up any fucking drawing utensil and draw. study. practice. have fun.

It's really that simple, christ...
>>
>>2728627
>It's really that simple

Anything's simple to someone with a simplistic outlook. In reality "draw. study. practice. have fun." has a lot of complexities, at least the first three.
>>
>>2728652
Yes, but your time is still better spent getting to work than worrying about stupid questions like if something is only possible for someone with autism.
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.