[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

TOP 3 PAINTERS

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 10

Post your top 3 favourite painters.
Critique other peoples shitty taste.
>>
>>2723407
I don't have a top 3. There's too many I admire and I don't really rank them like that.
>>
^
>>
>>2723407
1. Ruan Jia
2. Ruan Jia
3. Ruan Jia
>>
>>2723412
this.
I could name top three in a given movement, otherwise the question is too broad.

but I'll name three top-tier just for kicks:
Rubens
Liu Xiaodong
El Greco
>>
>>2723439
So you're the anon that likes Liu Xiaodong. Now and then I see that painting of his posted here of the girls sitting on that cart with the rubble behind them and the skinny dogs. May I ask what draws you to him so much? I like his work, but I would never consider him a top favourite, even among contemporary Chinese painters.

Also I'm curious what your work looks like with those influences you mentioned that are all pretty different from each other.
>>
Arthur Streeton
Singer Sarge
Waterhouse
>>
>>2723407
Zdzisław Beksinski
Drew Tucker
Roger Dean

>>2723423
ugh, grow up.
>>
1. I
2. I
3. I
>>
>>2723444
I admire the immediacy of his paintings, how quickly he can capture he essence of a scene, he always works from life, and I think that shows in his work.

I also admire his scale (pic related).

Basically, it's the type of painting that I find most enjoyable to make, working representational from life but keeping it loose, and it has an honest sort of feel to it that I think the viewer picks up on.
>>
File: 1472025959399059792.jpg (163KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
1472025959399059792.jpg
163KB, 900x600px
>>2723459
(forgot pic)
>>
De kooning vermeer and tolouse lautrec
>>
>>2723863
I'm ok with this
>>
Da Vinci
Van Gogh
Rembrandt
>>
Egon Schiele
Bob Ross
Dan Luvisi
>>
>>2723968
Obviously bob ross isn't a stellar painter. But I've been watching his videos on youtube a lot lately and I actually really admire them, I don't really know how to describe it but I'd also put him in my top 10 maybe. He gets bonus points for being so comfy
>>
>>2723985
but he's top 10 for being an educator or an entertainer and not a painter, right? let's not be silly.
>>
>>2723407
Rembrandt van Rijn
Gustave Courbet
Michelangelo

tfw when every normie will say picasso
>>
>>2723407

1. Albrecht Durer
2. Alfons Mucha
3. Francisco Goya
>>
>>2723407
1. Vincent van Gogh
2. Claude Monet
3. Henri Edmond Cross

Kinda wanted to put matisse on here, but I don't really like a lot of his famous works..
>>
File: display_imagewqd.jpg (360KB, 1060x1097px) Image search: [Google]
display_imagewqd.jpg
360KB, 1060x1097px
Akseli Gallen-Kallela
Frederic Leighton
Edgar Degas
>>
>>2724118
i dont think picassos name has been in popular circulation since my parents generation

actually im not even sure if people in my generation would have a favorite painter.

;_;
>>
>>2724703
>actually im not even sure if people in my generation would have a favorite painter.
Probably most people don't have a favourite painter because they simply have never spent time looking at art and learning about different artists. The normies that do know some art usually will say really generic stuff though like Mucha, Klimt, Van Gogh, or Monet. Some of the younger ones might mention a popular digital artist who worked on their favourite game.
>>
File: FEATURE_2010_Out_of_Beichuan_3.jpg (772KB, 1334x1000px) Image search: [Google]
FEATURE_2010_Out_of_Beichuan_3.jpg
772KB, 1334x1000px
>>2723461
He made everyone look uglier
>>
>>2724724
It's probably somewhat intentional, though I agree he didn't really capture the likeness very well when I compare them side-by-side.
>>
Gottfried helnwein
Beksinski
Wayne barlowe
>>
>>2723957
lol
>>
1. atkinson grimshaw
2. hopper
then either john bauer or toulouse lautrec
>>
>>2723407

Leonardo de Vinci
Vincent van Gogh
Me
God

(In that order)
>>
>>2723407
The 3 grandmasters of our generations

Sakimichan
Ilya Kuvshinov
Loish
>>
>Ilya
>>>/i/nstagram
>>
Rembrandt
Serge Marshennikov
Jeremy Mann

Lots of others I like too, though, plenty could easily have made the list.
>>
Iain McCaig
Karl Kopinski
#3 is usually any historical painter, and changes constantly: Zorn, Sargent, Saul Tepper, Rene Gruau, etc

The top two stay consistent, though
>>
>>2725291
sar·casm
ˈsärˌkazəm/
noun
the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.
>>
>>2725310
>muh nigga
>>
Berthe Morisot
Mark Tennant
Fung Chin Pang

I am not a Van Gogh fan or really an Expressionist fan at all
>>
>>2726161
Van Gogh is post-impressionist
>>
J.M.W.Turner
>>
File: VAN GO!.jpg (127KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
VAN GO!.jpg
127KB, 1920x1200px
>>2724899
Put some respect on Mr. Van Gogh
>>
Philip Guston
Richard Diebenkorn
Franz Kline
>>
File: Vermeer-view-of-delft.jpg (1MB, 3000x2491px) Image search: [Google]
Vermeer-view-of-delft.jpg
1MB, 3000x2491px
Vermeer
Rembrandt
Dali

These guys are gods of painting.
>>
Raphael
Mantegna
Poussin

Only patrician in this thread.
>>
File: jwwaterhouse-rferri-repin.png (768KB, 1200x420px) Image search: [Google]
jwwaterhouse-rferri-repin.png
768KB, 1200x420px
newfag here
>>
>>2729538
Ferri is pleb taste especially for a top 3, but Waterhouse and Repin are solid.
>>
>Bruegel the elder
>Caravaggio
>one of the dudes who was into breakfast scenes in the netherlands.
>>
>>2729544
I heard that.
His anatomy is top tier though, I'd switch him out with Michelangelo but hes considered a sculpto and it might be disrespectful to call him a painter rather than just someone who painted well.
>>
Is Spain alright for Art museums?

Im going to be visiting some family during the summer but I might seriously spend a few days in Spain (its a connecting flight) before hand.
>>
>>2729544
Repin literally painted plebs. Art of plebs for plebs.
>>
File: Sadko.jpg (584KB, 1500x2128px) Image search: [Google]
Sadko.jpg
584KB, 1500x2128px
>>2729580
kys
>>
File: Repin_Cossacks.jpg (2MB, 4174x2468px) Image search: [Google]
Repin_Cossacks.jpg
2MB, 4174x2468px
>>2729608
>>
I ' m in the netherlands right now. Which painters should I study except Vermeer, Rembrandt, De Kooning and Van Gogh?
>>
>>2729608
I think he's joking about the subject matter of Repin literally often being lower class peasants ie plebs. His work was also more relatable to the common man than many other painters of the time.
>>
>>2729612
You just named artists that are completely different from each other except for where they happened to live geographically. Their styles, time periods, and ideals where all very different. I say you should look at more art and decide for yourself what you like or don't like, what you respond to or not, and then find more artists based on that. Don't let some internet stranger tell you which artists you need to study.

Pro tip: where you live is largely irrelevant because you have access to hi res images of just about every important painting in the world through the internet, and you can also go to the library or order books online. Plus most galleries in major cities will have at least a few paintings from masters of various time periods and nationalities so you can see things in person too. Don't limit yourself to artists from your region. That said, check out Frans Hals because he was a really awesome Dutch painter.
>>
>>2723407
Francis Bacon
Lucian Freud
W.D. "Bill" Hammond
>>
>>2729617
>>2729608
That is what I meant, but I wasn't joking. Repin's paintings are quite literally paintings made to appeal to pleb taste, even more than most pleb artists.
>>
>>2723407

Caravaggio
Rembrandt
Alphonse Mucha
>>
>>2724912
>hopper
my nigger
>>
1. H.R Giger.
2. Gerald Brom.
3. Brian Froud.

I'm not into classics.
>>
>>2729835
>I'm not into classics
It shows, anon.
>>
1.Michelangelo
2.Frederic Edwin Church
3.William-Adolphe Bouguereau
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.