[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

photoshop performance thread

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

post your specs

> Open photoshop
> Create 20k x 20k (Pixels), 300 dpi canvas
> Create 3 layers
> On the third one, add 400% uniform noise
> Flip canvas horizontally 4 times
> Time how long it takes to flip a 5th time
>>
>>2720689
Is this just a ruse to crash people's computers/photoshop?
>>
>>2720690
if your computer crashes doing this, you might need an upgrade
>>
>>2720689
>20k x 20k
This will make it crash for most people here. And no, I don't have money for a better PC.
>>
>>2720703
A good PC isn't a must have, but if you were to spend say 6 hours per day drawing, every day and know you'd really want to get into art, a good PC should be the first thing you'd seek for
>>
>>2720706
That's true, but a 20k resolution is really unnecessary high for most uses. Sure it's nice, but it's by no means a must.
>>
>>2720689
>Create 20k x 20k (Pixels), 300 dpi canvas
Why is the PPI at all relevant? 1ppi or >9000 won't change the size of the file, 20k pixels are still 20k pixels no matter how many inches you cram them in.
>>
>>2720711
Empty layers and flipping the canvas multiple times doesn't make a lot of sense either.
>>
>>2720708
The 20k resolution in this case is for the sake of testing performance, which you cannot test with a 1k resolution.

Also, most big production work tend to be around 15k, but end up resized to 5k.
>>2720711
Photoshop still processes DPI even tho you cannot see them.
>>2720718
Same thing as above, photoshop still processes empty layers even tho they are empty. An empty 20k x 20k layer is harder to process than a gradient filled 2k x 2k layer.
>>
File: 44925.jpg (30KB, 460x460px) Image search: [Google]
44925.jpg
30KB, 460x460px
>>2720711
I used to have a potato computer and going from 72 to 1 dpi almost doubled my performance on a 2000 x 1500 canvas.
>>
if i did everything right... it took 8 seconds
>>
>Photoshop still processes DPI even tho you cannot see them.
Processes it how? All PPI changes it the physical size of your print. It is literally just a tag in your file, it doesn't affect file size or how much memory it uses. 1ppi or 20000 ppi will perform the same if the amount of pixels is the same.
>An empty 20k x 20k layer is harder to process than a gradient filled 2k x 2k layer.
that's like saying a full bottle of water is harder to lift than an empty bottle.
>>
>>2720729
>that's like saying a full bottle of water is harder to lift than an empty bottle.
I typed this backwards like a retard but you get the picture. Just test this yourself and look at the numbers. Empty layers don't add anything to your file.
>>
>>2720729
just try for yourself man
>>
how to economize computer's work with photoshop?

I usually work with +60 layers, some of them masks, with transparency or different layer modes

it only feel swow with some kind of brushes or when rendering a jpg/png save file
>>
>>2720736
>I usually work with +60 layers, some of them masks, with transparency or different layer modes
Most work doesn't require this. Try to merge layers when you can. If you are doing some complex client work that requires this then upgrade your computer.
>>
>>2720735
What would you like me to try? I get exactly the same file size, same scratch size and same amount of memory allocated whether the file has 1 ppi or 29999,999. I can add as many empty layers as I'd like and that doesn't change either, while adding a black to white gradient across one of these layers adds 1.12G to my file size, over 3GB to scratch size, and another 1,89GB of RAM allocated, according to task manager. As for the test in the OP, no matter the amount of empty layers, PPI, or how many times I flip the canvas, the amount of time it takes isn't affected.
Flipping the canvas several times after adding the noise layer, the shortest it's taken is a little under 2 seconds, and the most is about 5.
>>
>>2720736
smart objects
>>
>>2720753
Isn't that like a nested file though? It would still slow down the computer.
>>
>>2720689
>Mfw still using Windows 98
>Mfw I have to work in quadrants with my art
>>
Tried this with a I7 4790k with a slight overclock, 5th flip took 1.4 seconds.
>>
>>2722028
I know jack shit about computers but shouldn't the amount of RAM determine how well you do in this exercise instead?
>>
>>2720706
I'd try a sketchbook instead.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.