[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Art isn't about trying to be photography anymore

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: 1428403271135.jpg (65KB, 620x786px) Image search: [Google]
1428403271135.jpg
65KB, 620x786px
And it often never was in the first place.
Yet people continue to worship the human form like being the 1000th person to draw an accurate portrait is gonna get them anywhere in the current year.
You will never make it until you give up that delusion.
>>
>>2718700
Who asked?
>>
>>2718701
You're not gonna make bro.
You don't need to be an example though.
>>
>>2718703
Why wont i make it? How am i being an example in any way whatsoever?

Maybe dont make shitty threads so you can feel smart.
>>
File: Anders Zorn (9).jpg (47KB, 468x599px) Image search: [Google]
Anders Zorn (9).jpg
47KB, 468x599px
Realism =/= photorealism. Aspiring to be a realist painter doesn't mean you're trying to do a camera's job. Also acting like getting a portrait painted and getting a photo taken is the same thing to a consumer is retarded, the kind of person who wants a portrait painted is going to get a portrait painted.

Also if you look at a well done figure drawing it doesn't look like a fucking photo anyway.
>>
>I hold these forms in my mind long enough to express them accurately. I have pored over every detail in my sight and chosen only the most significant to be displayed on my canvas. I KNOW my subject better than it will ever be known by another, and only by looking at the product of my intention--this painting--will you be able to glean a small share of that experience.
>Check it out, I pushed a button! Totes going on insta! Filters!

10/10 for making me reply for the fifth time this goddamn month
>>
>>2718721
>>Check it out, I pushed a button! Totes going on insta! Filters!
Implying photography is not a skill in itself or an artform. Plenty of photographers have put more time and energy into setting up their shots than many painters have in doing a painting.
>>
>>2718730

Not him and you're absolutely right, but I'd argue the decisions a photographer needs to make are mostly composition, maybe a little bit of post processing which can bring in colour theory.
>>
>>2718706
>the kind of person who wants a portrait painted is going to get a portrait painted.
So... nobody.
Or tourists in New York.
>>
>>2718755
Yeah I don't think many people commission portraits of themselves these days. Maybe some positions of power like some government jobs will get you your portrait painted, but I can't think of many other people that would need/want a realist portrait painting of themselves.
>>
File: 1475952745637.jpg (44KB, 554x500px) Image search: [Google]
1475952745637.jpg
44KB, 554x500px
>You will never make it
>Posts Van Gogh, who only sold one piece of art while he was alive
>>
>>2718764
He made it posthumously.
/ic/ will NEVER make it.
>>
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
troll line
>>
>>2718739

There's also choice of lens that influence perspective and bokeh, not to mention things like length of exposition, lighting etc.
>>
Oh look another retard who is butthurt his "style" got called out as shit
>>
>>2718986
>>2718730
As someone who is a photography hobbyist as well as a painter, I can tell you that painting realistically requires a mich hogher level of skill. It's honestly not even really close. Photography is about having an expensive lense and the right light conditions. Once you learn how to use the technology, they will do the work for you. Painting never gets easier. The learning curve actually steepens after you get the basics down.
>>
>>2718995
>Photography is about having an expensive lens
No wonder you're still a hobbyist if that's what you think. Sure a nice camera can make your images look nicer in the same way that good quality paints will have more intense values and colours than cheap student brands, but if you think that's what makes the difference between good and bad paintings then you are very misinformed.
>>
>confusing photorealism and realism

This place was bad enough to begin with
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.