[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Realism drawing paper

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

Can I do life drawing exercises on crappy printer paper? Pic related is a pretty good life drawing(IMO) and I'd like to achieve this level of realism in my studies.

But I'm assuming this isn't possible with just graphite & printer paper. Or is it? Would I need a drawing pad with special paper to achieve this level of tone & light/shadow when rendering?
>>
My goal is to start by drawing objects around the house like chairs, sofas, tables, etc.

But whenever I post drawings that I think are realism I get flooded by people telling me they're photocopy-tier drawings. Apparently I can't tell the difference so I'm selecting the best examples I can find in Google.

But to be clear I would like to draw from life without photocopying or symbol drawing. Accurate rendering, proportions, volumes/forms, and ultimately take these skills out to draw things outside my walls.

But printer paper has no texture. It seems impossible to get a quality finished drawing on printer paper. But am I just really shitty so I don't know how? Or do I need a specific type like newsprint?
>>
>>2718352
Printer paper is fine to work on. It's thin and you can only rework it so much, but it's acceptable. If you want to do long studies that are taking a lot of time and energy though just get some proper paper. Printer paper is only recommended when you plan on going through reams of the stuff doing lots of quick sketches.
>>
Printer paper doesn't have enough texture to catch graphite the right way, that's why most artist who find themselves using printer paper will use ball point pens instead.
>>
>>2718358
>>2718352

It doesn't really matter what kind of paper you have, printer paper is ok.

>But to be clear I would like to draw from life without photocopying or symbol drawing(...)

Read the fucking sticky. Go grab the "Keys to Drawing" by Dodson or even fucking "Drawing on the Right Side" or that Nicolaides book or whatever.

Just fucking draw. Copying is important to learn first to get the sense of how to place lines and how to keep proportions.

Don't worry. Draw objects around your house, do lots of drawings, check book once in a while, get back to /ic/ when you will have a problem.
>>
>>2718364
>It doesn't really matter what kind of paper you have, printer paper is ok.
>I don't know what I'm talking about the post
>>
>>2718359
>>2718360

If I want to do long studies with graphite what type of paper should I get? There's a lot out there and I'm in the 5-year-old tier with drawing so I have no idea what to do other than draw from life.
>>
>>2718367
A lot of paper is going to be personal preference. Some like really texture paper, some like it very smooth, some like it in between. Some like it slightly off white, others like it very white. Just go to an art store and flip through the sketchbooks and see what they feel like and what you think you might like to draw on. Then buy a couple different ones and see. Any major brand should have decent enough paper, and as a beginner you can't tell the difference anyways between decent and amazing paper. Sketchbooks aren't that expensive anyways, especially if you consider how long it takes to fill up. You can also talk to some of the employees at the store if you are really lost.
>>
>>2718378
So basically just grab a bunch of sketchbooks and go to town. I think I can do that.

I was gonna try the larger pads of paper because they're bigger than a sketchbook and offer more room to do larger drawings. But my biggest concern is the paper so thnx anon
>>
>>2718438
>So basically just grab a bunch of sketchbooks and go to town. I think I can do that.
That's probably your best bet, yes. Printer paper is not as good as sketchbook paper and is only recommended for the fact that it costs pennies and everyone has access to it.
>>
>>2718352
I'm pretty sure your pic related is a hard-ground wax etching.
>>
>>2718931
The artist's name is Safet Zec and he's a Bosnian painter. I'm not sure if he would do etchings but he has many other "drawings" that look like the chair so he frequently works in that medium
>>
>>2718358
If you want to avoid being accused of just photo copying then move around when drawing. See more information then just a camera can and put that info in the drawing, like cast shadows reflected light stuff to create depth that you can't get with a camera
>>
>>2719084
Yeah, I just googled him. Most definitely an etcher. And op pic is most likely hard-ground and aquatint.

See, this is what /ic/ doesn't teach you about what art school teaches you.
Sincerely, honours degree in fine arts alumnus.
>>
File: 20160901_210323.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px)
20160901_210323.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
It is not finished yet but
>>
>>2718352
You could use printer paper, or you could, you know, drop 4 bucks for a pad of good drawing paper at wal-mart.

The point of draft paper is to have some tooth, which printer lacks.
>>
>>2720234
>drawing from photo
If you don't want to be call a photocopier, draw from life or your own photos. It's more genuine, putting a piece of yourself into the drawing. Get some taste as well.
>>
>>2720234
>That ear
holy fuck
>>
>>2720234
Man I love sketching but I hate how tedious shading is! Looks nice but the lazy ass in me is crying
>>
>>2720247
>drop 4 bucks for a pad of good drawing paper
What do you consider to be good drawing paper? What type of pad?
>>
>>2720247
>good drawing paper
>walmart
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.