[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is harder, to git gud at drawing or to git gud at making music?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 1

File: doe.jpg (180KB, 720x591px) Image search: [Google]
doe.jpg
180KB, 720x591px
What is harder, to git gud at drawing or to git gud at making music?
>>
i dont think theyre comparable at all senpai. might as well compare art to sports or something
>>
>>2712137
They're probably equally difficult to fully master at genius levels (Mozart vs Sargent). To get a basic grasp of and do it competently I think music seems a bit easier. It's not uncommon to get 10yo kids playing violin or piano at a professional level, but you never get that in art until people are in their late teens. I think the main difference is that music you can learn to play something written by someone else, whereas in art you need to come up with your own composition each time.
>>
>>2712146
Nonsense.
Anything that takes effort is comparable.
>>
>>2712137
I guess it depends on the person.

I do both and making music is waaaay harder for me, I also receive more positive feedback on my drawings/illustrations than my music.
>>
>>2712148
okay compare making music to making art objectively then.
>>
>>2712137
Asian parents push their kids to become piano "prodigies" are much more common than Asian parents pushing their kids to become renaissance art masters.

Then again, learning to play music and learning to compose are pretty different, like how drawing from reference and drawing from imagination are different.
>>
>>2712151
Not that anon, but there are lots of parallels for sure. You can match up different movements in painting and music, different genres or styles of music match with different ones in art, you can have commercial music (pop, film soundtracks etc) that matches up with illustration or concept art, digital art vs electronic music, sampling vs photobashing etc

Both are disciplines that take years to master, have a long history and lineages, use many similar concepts like layering of textures or contrasts, starting with sketches and moving to final work, improvisations, composing etc.
>>
>>2712155
>Asian parents push their kids to become piano "prodigies" are much more common than Asian parents pushing their kids to become renaissance art masters.
I'm sure this is true, but they do push art there too. I don't even live in asia but the asians I knew when I was in high school told me of when they were kids they were forced to do art classes where they copied casts, learned oils, watercolours, and drawing. They all hated it and all quit art, but I mean the education and push was still there at a young age.
>>
For me, music is harder.

Someone has yet to write "Loomis" style approach to music theory and composition.
>>
>>2712162
This. I could play etudes or whatever even though it's been 6 years since I've touched an instrument but if you asked me to make my own composition I'd be fucked. Even basic music theory is complicated.

When I watch people do improv/rap battles and am always stumped on how they do it. It's really fucking hard. Imagine writing a whole musical piece from scratch? Fuck that, I'll stick to drawing.
>>
It's difficult to compare the two. I know the music field better than I know the art field, so I'll just dump a bunch of details here and any of you who are professional artists can compare.

As a musician, you need to start early and practice hours every day or you will never reach the level needed to enter any decent orchestra. (I'm going to define orchestral playing as "making it" in this case. The vast majority of musicians don't make it.)
>but muh neuroplasticity meme
Music requires so much coordination that it's just extremely difficult to start later on. You can always be a decent hobbyist if you devote some time every day for a couple years, but most musicians need at least two decades of experience to actually be gud at a competitive level unless you have some ridiculous innate talent. Most accomplished musicians (those who make it in into a good orchestra) start somewhere between 5-7 years old and end up with a job in their 20s-30s, and then try to keep auditioning for orchestras that have higher standing/pay than their current orchestra. Granted, talent doesn't really matter in the long run in this field unless you end up a soloist and your talent gives your playing an extra spark that distinguishes you. For most musicians, practice beats talent - orchestral playing is all about achieving a high technical and musical skill level.
Anon above me who said it's not uncommon to get 10yo kids playing violin or piano at a professional level - yes, you're right, but playing music and composing are completely different things. With art you don't need the added stress of performing in front of a live audience.

If I've left out anything, feel free to ask questions. I just don't think it's possible to compare the two fields unless you know them both intimately, and I don't know art enough.
>>
Played three instruments for about 12 years and I found it to be significantly easier than drawing, but not for the reasons you might think.

There's this thing called an interest art school where kids as young as 5 are assigned a mentor - not some shitter with a diploma, but an actual mentor who "made it". He tells you specifically what, when and how to practice and shares one or two sessions a week to check your progress and point out mistakes, focusing on technical and artistic growth. Also it's almost free, like $150 a year.

This is absolutely normal in music, in every class there's at least three or four kids in this process. If there was something similar for visual arts, well...
But noooo, visual art must be about self expression and relaxation, fucking hell.
>>
>>2712157
imo theyre more unalike than alike. even 'testing' at a micro level is completely different. if you get a piano and tell 10 players to play whatever song (assuming they can play at that level well) they eitherplay the song perfectly/with fee mistakes or they fucking dont. theres no 'i can sort play this' in music. theres a uniform objective standard in music. now take a 'literally equivalent' for art. take 10 painter and say 'paint this tree in under 4 hours'. youre going to get all kinds of variations in things like finishing times, color palette, value ranges, levels of details, etc. the reason is the skill sets are completely fucking different. also thats not even considering the audiences subjective feelings about the music vs art. you can say you didnt like the piece being played but you cant really argue that it wasnt played correctly. even 'objective' standards can be argued with in art.

i dont think they should be compared at all.
>>
I've been a musician and artist (drawing, mostly) for the last 17 years. I can tell you without a doubt that drawing is more difficult. "Gud" in the music industry nowadays requires very little knowledge, and you don't even need skill with an instrument. (Nope, not even your voice) You can reach moderate success with nothing but an understanding of your choice of software. There is no such thing for drawing. You can't download "le instant musician" software for drawing.
>>
>>2712216
>There is no such thing for drawing. You can't download "le instant musician" software for drawing.
Uhh yes you basically can. Using 3d programs like modo and then photobashing a bit and you can create professional quality images if you know the software and can't really draw.
>>
>>2712216
hence the reason why producers opt the title producer rather than musician
>>
>>2712146
>i dont think theyre comparable at all senpai

Nah dawg, composing a song has a lot of similarities to creating a painting. There is normally a focal point some kind of a crescendo that everything leads up to. You can think of visual noise in the same way you think of audio. Things get more saturated and more detailed near the focal point, you compose music in the same way, you tend to gradually add more layers of sound as you build up to that crescendo.
>>
>>2712155
Chinamen don't understand art, since music is less subjective they value it over art.
>>
>>2712220
eh not really. think some long 8 min piano song and how much variation there is in the melody/rythym. you have create every micro sec of that of that piece and keep it interesting and make sure it fits the rest of the piece. when you sketch out a pianting and lay the basic color,value blocks, thats its, creativity is gone, and its all techinical skill from there pushing detail up yor current level plus maybe learning a bit from the creating the piece.
>>
>>2712147
well said anon
>>
>>2712137
Music composition or playing live?

It's hard to gauge; Both drawing and music have a lot of skills which are not core skills, but still necessary. But at their core, I can't judge. They both seem the same.
>>
>>2712147
To be fair though, most parents take music more seriously than art and that's reflected in their music education. I know tons of kids who are currently being privately tutored on how to play an instrument, and they are expected to take their lessons very seriously. I know zero kids whose parents hired a private art tutor for them to learn things like structure, form, perspective, etc. If children were instructed in art the same way they were instructed in music, we could very well have kids who draw at near-professional levels.
>>
>>2712634
Are private art tutors even a thing anymore? Never heard of it once during my time at school.
>>
>>2712634
>If children were instructed in art the same way they were instructed in music, we could very well have kids who draw at near-professional levels.
The thing is that we can look back into history when it was common for kids to be apprenticed under a master of have private art tutors if they showed any potential. And those systems certainly produced masters, but they did not become masters as children, usually it wasn't really obviously professional high level stuff until their late teens or early twenties, and the true master stuff would be much later than that.
>>
>>2712150
Post your work
>>
>>2712680

firez-da.deviantart.com (mostly finished stuff)

firez-tbr.tumblr.com (a little bit of everything)

As for my music, I usually upload it through videos on my YT channel (last 7 are mine, everything else are just my subs of others' music):

Youtube.com/firezfps
>>
it really depends on what kind of music you are trying to play. rock music, no.... classical or baroque... yes.... also writing it takes wayyyyyyyyy longer than painting or drawing i think (at least in my experience it would have taken way longer to write music than do a painting.) thats why i stopped doing music because no one was gonna listen to it anyway in this day and age so why do it. i much prefer to do drawing as i came to find out i still play music for fun though..-a former classical composer.
>>
>>2712699
oh and to add on to this most modern music is not difficult if thats what you are going for , i just said rock as an example. trance music, rap , all that stuff is easy as shit if you know what your doing. but once you try to get into classical or baroqe or romantic and stuff like that it gets way hard.
>>
>>2712700
Why though? What is classical, baroqe, etc. music even used for nowadays too
>>
>>2712702
exactly the reason i quit, no one was gonna listen to that shit cus no one these days outside of the seemingly few people who like it would care. but thats the kind of music i liked to make and play. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMSwVf_69Hc <was my idol haha listen to that fucking harpsichord solo. and thats why i took art up again instead of music. because it was easier.
>>
>>2712704
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5JD-HejeWg <one more from the god Bach and the great Karl Richter to end my input into this conversation.
>>
>>2712708
>>2712704
Listening to this I am so happy civilisation went digital. The amount of noise is unbearable.
>>
>>2712714
its a shame its not a better recording. Glen Gould has some good recordings of it though on the 915 fugue its on a piano though. very clear sounding . i have yet to see anyone play the brandenburg #5.1 allegro solo better than Karl Richter though. which is disappointing.
>>
It's easier to get good at playing a guitar than painting a picture, it's easier to improve at image design than song writing.

With learning a guitar it's "fuck that note was wrong, my tone is off" There is clear write and wrong and a clear solution to your problems.
With learning to draw it's "Okay time to juggle perspective form anatomy and more all at once without clear cut solutions to my fuck ups that are instantly apparent." You won't be able to understand your own mistakes deeply enough to come up with the best solutions and implementing solutions even if you know them is miles from the cut and dry "no dude, the chord is xyz not xyi" of music.

With writing a song you get "I don't like it, too much ___insert_onomatopoeia___ you know what I mean?"
With composition/design "oh the pose isn't very dynamic, your value range is really low, get rid of those tangents, the lighting here is too even, there is no clear focal point" Once you CAN draw learning to put those skills to use creatively isn't as frustrating as coming up with a good song. It's why you have one hit wonder bands but artists very rarely end up with one fantastic piece and then a bunch of generic garbage.

Art is this fucking behemoth hill that peters out into a fairly comfy path once you get through the hell that is the git gud phase then you eventually "make it" and get to the point where you can in fact draw. You never stop improving but there are certainly people who are at the "made it far enough that I can draw pictures and not desire death" and the "everything I draw makes me reach unconsciously for the lighter" phase with a little muddy area between them.

Music is more of a murky swamp you have to sail through, getting your boat rigged up and ready only takes you a little bit of time but good fucking luck striking dry land where you want to be because it's largely guess work.
>>
>>2712702
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJSiaf9m55s
>>
>>2712747
>
Art is this fucking behemoth hill that peters out into a fairly comfy path once you get through the hell that is the git gud phase

>Music is more of a murky swamp you have to sail through, getting your boat rigged up and ready only takes you a little bit of time but good fucking luck striking dry land where you want to be because it's largely guess work.

also another reason i stopped, music composition especially in classical etc. music is hard because to quote frank zappa all the good music was already written by those guys in the fancy wigs and stuff. (that and there is no audience for it. and orchestras charge like 80k to play your music unenthusiastically. )

where as art new things can be done when you get to the hill top of the get gud stage fairly easily.

also in my opinion the git gud hill on music is much higher when you want to play like someone like Bach and all those guys and play it like Karl fucking Richter. that shit takes some extreme grinding.
>>
>>2712747
/thread
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.