[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Master studies

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: Mead schaeffer045.jpg (477KB, 1269x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Mead schaeffer045.jpg
477KB, 1269x1600px
Hi /ic/,
What are the best master paintings and illustrations to study value and composition from?
>>
File: 1472440080125.jpg (1MB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1472440080125.jpg
1MB, 2560x1600px
>>2712108
Ruan Jia
>>
Banksy is really good
>>
>>2712108
the ones of the masters you love
>>
>>2712108
There is no best person to study, it comes down to personal preference once they are master level. Just study the artists who you want to paint like.
>>
The problem is - my whole life I was ignorant towards art until I started learning to draw and paint. And I checked the more "mainstream" artists like Rembrandt, Monet, van Eyck, Caravaggio etc and I can't find anything that I would like. I'm not saying they are shitty or something, because I can see the skill but they don't move me in any way. I am inspired by a lot of modern concept art, but again - I don't many names and if I'm not losing something when not looking at the old masters.
So basically I'm hoping you'll throw your favourites and I'll find something for me out of this.
>>
File: EakinsTheGrossClinic.jpg (964KB, 1211x1500px) Image search: [Google]
EakinsTheGrossClinic.jpg
964KB, 1211x1500px
>>2712141
You dont have to be moved by the artwork in order to learn from it. I've studied alot of stuff that i don't really find interesting, but knew i needed to learn certain things from.

And alot of times i implement elements to make it more interesting and fun to study. Like adding supernatural elements and/or creatures and so on to the study. Reimagine the piece in a way, while still learning a ton from the original. Take pic related as an example. Try to look at it and find a new narrative for it, add some steampunk stuff, creatures, make the guy a mutated freak of nature, make it post apocalyptic, scifi etc.

You'll still learn alot, maybe even more since you'll be more motivated and like the exercise way more.
>>
File: lecture3.jpg (143KB, 1200x771px) Image search: [Google]
lecture3.jpg
143KB, 1200x771px
>>2712154
Funny you use that example, because Mullins did exactly that in this image by adding in a harpy eagle and some mechanical stuff and inventing his own composition. That said, this is probably way too advanced for a beginner to do and not the best advice until they are at least intermediate or higher skill level.
>>
>>2712154
I'm still to n00b to add my stuff to the painting but i'm definitely saving this idea for later.
Maybe I'm just looking at this the wrong way. From what lessons about master studies I could find, it was everywhere said that the main thing in finding paintings to study from was to like them and i have trouble finding stuff that i like. Maybe i'm just to obsessive about this
>>
>>2712154
>>2712161
beautiful stuff
>>
>>2712161
Cool. I'd say that this is more inspired by, than a study of the original.
>>
>>2712174
Maybe spend a few days learning some art history, just get a feel of what different painting styles from different time periods looked like. Wikipedia is an okay start for this, and you can use other websites to just browse art at random like wikiart or the-athenaeum.org then see what catches you attention. If you like something then find out who did, and find more of their work. You can also find out what artists that person worked with, taught, was taught by, or admired to find similar pieces.
>>
>>2712180
Yeah it's more an homage or cute reference than it is an actual study. I just thought it somewhat relevant to the conversation and image you posted.
>>
>>2712174
I can give you some names of artists that may interest you more than the old masters, but who you can still learn a fuckton from;

Steve Huston - Fantastic for dynamic rendering and movement

Ruan Jia - Amazing lighting and rendering, he doesnt give two shits about anatomy though, so study his work purely for lighting and rendering

Piotr Jabłoński - Just overall an amazing artist, worth studying for his lighting, storytelling, colors, composition, rendering and basically everything.

Phil Hale - Fantastic for movement and dynamic compositions, maybe even more so than Steven Huston, although Phil hale is more rebelious in everything from his lighting and brushwork to his subjectmatter and color. Something definitely worth studying.

Sergey Kolesov - In my opinion a damn near perfect artist. Study everything you can from this man.

Frazetta - Composition

You'll learn alot from studying these guys, but don't forget to always look waaay back in time and study the masters that these guys studied to get gud.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.