[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Taxes and Freelancing

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6

File: images.jpg (8KB, 276x183px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
8KB, 276x183px
Quick question for freelancers out there,
How much money do you have to make to pay taxes for it? do you pay taxes for it regardless of how much you make?

I am freelancing on the side and have no clue what I'm doing, help me out famalam.
>>
Isn't it like 4k or something
>>
>>2702352
Where are you from?
>>
>>2702352
>>
File: 1452102196853.jpg (92KB, 612x612px) Image search: [Google]
1452102196853.jpg
92KB, 612x612px
>>2702352
I'm not OP, but how good do you have to be to make a living doing freelance work on average?

Is it concept artist tier?

I know Harrypartridge can barely pay his rent.
>>
>>2702418
That completely depends on where you're living and how much you want to live on. If you want to live like trash, I think you could be amateur tier and still make enough to pay the bills.
>>
>>2702422
>amateur

How amateur are we talking here?

Do you mean as amateur as the art this guy picks at/when the students first started?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri214tmYTgM
>>
>>2702435
Sure, my tiering list is amateur, semi-pro and pro. You could make money as an amateur, but you aren't shooting for the lowest here. Clearly, you'll shoot for your highest work, so you can make money regardless of any factors. As long as you look like you get the fundamentals even if it's off, non-artists probably can't tell.
>>
>>2702436
Shit, wrong video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rI6q6bv7do
>>
>>2702422
Thats interesting...

Assuming you're living like trash, what kind of place do you think you could make this work? also, what type of freelance stuff are you guys talking about? like selling your paintings, or trying to get clients for more corporate stuff?

I live in NYC for example, and it seems like a good place to make connections and market your art, but at the same time there is a ton of artists and rent is very expensive
>>
>>2702440
NYC is one of the most expensive cities to live in, trying to pay rent with a job you can make from literally anywhere in the country with an internet connection sounds like a pretty retarded idea. Try Nebraska or Kentycknyet.
>>
File: 14694612382903.jpg (202KB, 940x1346px) Image search: [Google]
14694612382903.jpg
202KB, 940x1346px
UpWork bad or good workplace?
>>
>>2702442
yea, but i've also seen NYC painters who make average-tier art but they're able to market themselves well and be somewhat succesfull

theres not many people to sell your art to if you live in fucking nebraska....although its obvious youre talking more about commercial art
>>
God, just answer OP's fucking question. Who cares if he's amateur shit tier or not.

At what amount does OP have to declare his earnings?

I'm in NY as well.
>>
>>2702605
in the united states you must declare your earnings if you make more than $400 in a fiscal year via self employment

you also must file your self employment taxes quarterly

as far as i know, if you make 10k or fewer, you don't get taxed federally, tho you still have to pay the FICA (social security and medicare) tax along with whatever your local state's tax rate is

the simplest way is to google "[your state] self employment tax calculator" to get a rough number of what you can expect

but also don't forget your deductions, the standard deduction is p generous if you're making less than 15-20k, tho keep track of your expenses on job related purchases throughout the year, if you build a beefy new computer, purchase a cintiq, or some other big price tag items (like say actually paying for all the software you use) you might be getting closer to where it's worth itemizing.

OOH also if you have a place where you live that's dedicated to work (say some kind of office or whatever) you can possibly deduct your mother fuckin rent, so that's possibly a thing to look into, tho i'd really suggest consulting some form of tax expert on that shiz.

please note that i may be totally off on all this shit, i fuckin suck at taxes, use some kinda tax expert (think h&r block or whatever you have in your area) if you're a lazy/helpless idiot like me
>>
>>2702625
man, THANK YOU!

This s exactly what my accountant told me. He said to be safe and i should declare everything. He told me my computer has deprec value, can be written off. My rent, because my upstairs is the office and even my internet bill can be written off, due to the fact i use it to transfer the images for payment.
>>
>>2702453
Bad.

Too much effort lurking and proposing every single day in order to find the 1% of good jobs posted - and even then, it'll probably be a terrible experience.
>>
>>2702726
they also take a huge cut
>>
>>2702461
Use the internet to sell bro.
>>
>>2702361
From Canada, making under $1000 a month from it
>>
>>2702453

I'm actually wondering about the answer to this as well.
>>
I knew a sci fi bookcover painter,and she had a saying:

My Life is Tax Deductable!

She goes to movies-Research,she buys books and comics-Research. Art supplies,rent for her apartment(studio),deductable. Travel to Cons and hotel rooms,and I bet even games and other entertainment products-Research. And she also said to sell your originals for cash so you can claim you still have them,"Gave it as a gift for my Great Aunt Petunia".

All sorts of dodges and tricks to keeping your cash proceeds yours.
>>
File: 1474760149246.jpg (25KB, 339x360px) Image search: [Google]
1474760149246.jpg
25KB, 339x360px
>>2702352
Can someone explain me why US freelancers even have to pay taxes in the first place?
>>
>>2704075
because our government are extortionists.
>>
>>2704079
but can't you just... not tell them you're making money that way?
>>
>>2703342
This is borderline criminal, how can this be?
>>
>>2704083
not really if they find out that become tax evasion.
>>
>>2704083
They'll find out, one way or another. It's the IRS.

Tax evasion is considered a serious crime. It's best not to fuck with the federal government.
>>
>>2704086
Finding legal loopholes is how rich people dont have to pay taxes.

You can base your entire career on that.
>>
>>2704115
Taxes are important and aren't and were never your money anyways. Pay the fucking taxes.
>>
File: tumblr_n739ux9f2c1tuqgoto1_500.gif (50KB, 440x275px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n739ux9f2c1tuqgoto1_500.gif
50KB, 440x275px
>>2704120
i refuse
>>
>>2704120
no they are not. fuck taxes and fuck you buddy
>>
>>2704120
>being a filthy statist
>>
>>2704083
if you're able to get paid and pay for everything in cash then this is possible, otherwise the IRS will just go to your bank and get them to handover your account history and unless you can prove all that money came from someone just gifting it to you you're gonna have to pay a sizable fee on top of the taxes you would've owed on it. and don't think you can get someone to just lie and say they sent you the cash cause then they gotta prove where they got it from.

>>2704075
cause you still benefit from federal and state resources that are paid for with, surprise: taxes. tho as long as you keep track of your expenses while self employed it's not too hard to get a sizable deductable like >>2703342

>>2704086
the government has tax incentives to push people in the direction of benefiting the economy. if you're a professional in the creative field then almost any creative work you spend money on can be viewed as a research. cons where you go to sell shit or make business connections are also pretty self explanatory in terms of business expense, tho that last one about selling originals and claiming you gifted them away is very literally tax fraud and if that money enters your bank account in any sizable and consistent numbers the IRS will start asking questions.
the problem is that incentives meant for the average individual and/or small business get taken advantage of by rich people and major corporations with more money than god who can afford expensive lawyers who stretch tax laws and incentives far beyond their intent.
>>
I don't think you should cares about taxes if you live in shit country without pensions. Like in Russia.
>>
>>2703342
>rent for her apartment(studio)
Huge if true. I might doing this and start writing off my anime figures
>>
What are good places to freelance on?
Upwork and freelancer.com are fucking horrible cancers of the earth
>>
>>2702418
It's now about how good you are it's about how connections you have.
>>
>>2704120
wew lad
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.