[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How much detail is needed before you stop calling it a sketch?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: ee1fsd230.jpg (28KB, 500x243px) Image search: [Google]
ee1fsd230.jpg
28KB, 500x243px
How much detail is needed before you stop calling it a sketch?
>>
>>2701846
>How much detail
It's not about the detail itself, it's about the perception of said detail. If you are drawing and don't think it's complete work, and you think it's just a rough draft of what is to come, then it's a sketch in your eyes; which is what art is all about, subjectivity and perception.

In other words: You'll never make it.
>>
~ 64%
>>
I do love seeing good sketches but why
do people never finish them?
>>
File: 1448905546121.jpg (16KB, 261x163px)
1448905546121.jpg
16KB, 261x163px
>>2701871
there's a sort of "raw energy" that comes with sketches. it's impulsive and captures what the artist truly meant with the idea; while finished pieces that started as a sketch are indeed nice, there's a certain appeal to rawness that some people crave
>>
>>2701871
>>2701922
yeah, I like that shit, and sometimes just prefer them over the final
>>
>>2701864
>In other words: You'll never make it.
kek
>>
How are you so post to get to the
final if you marry your sketch?
>>
>>2701929
>so post

You mean supposed?

As to your question, you need to sort of learn how to not marry your sketch. This is what teachers do in art school - they set up multiple projects so no student falls in love with one certain piece. Just keep cranking out art and you'll realize that each one is mileage to get to the next, and eventually you'll reach your magnum opus or some shit.
>>
What happens when that fails? And you don't end up doing anything.
>>
>>2701871
>>2701922
Or you're like me and always love your sketches but despise your finished works so you rarely finish a piece.
>>
What constitutes as a sketch is relative to your standard output. There is no hard fast rule.
>>
>>2701846
A sketch is just something that hasn't been rendered. If you are using lines and implied details it's a sketch. A sketch can be very detailed even, but still be a sketch.

Well that's my thinking on it. Something from "How to Render" really.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.