[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

are some people special?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6

File: 1470678932866.jpg (69KB, 636x616px) Image search: [Google]
1470678932866.jpg
69KB, 636x616px
I have a question.
With all those special visitors straight outta tumblr recently (bless them), is there anyone who's never had this depression?
>a few years long, lack of motivation, daily suicidal thoughts yet too cowardly to kill yourself, food/drink/sleep/hobbies don't make you happy anymore, that kind of stuff
Everyone here has had it at some point, right?
>>
>>2698988
Not sure what you're talking about with people out of tumblr...but anyways, depression is fairly common, but not exactly normal. Seems to happen to a lot of artists though, myself included. Try therapy or pills.
>>
Every artist gets depressed, but the best learn how to get over it and grind. I didn't really have suicidal thoughts, but I fucking hate my art now that I know how terrible I am kek. By "every artist gets depressed" I mean every single one, not even exaggerating or anything, I know that statement covers a lot, but really, I do believe it to be the truth. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huwOsyPseII

>hobbies don't make you happy anymore
I actually had to get more hobbies because all I used to do was draw and burnt out hard. Hobbies like liftan weights helped me stay focused and expanded my knowledge of anatomy kek.
>>
Depression is most often the result of a faulty childhood (abuse, neglect, daycare etc). Artists are often quite in tune with emotions, and it would make sense that people prone to be more empathetic or emotional choose a creative path. These two factors somehow combine to produce emotionally damaged creative individuals.
People who have depression are subconsciously looking for more attention, understanding, and a way to connect with other people (those who don't just kill themselves or quietly rot away). This leads to them expressing their problems online, which is of course easier to do over the internet than irl. This vocal minority makes it seem like all artists are depressed
>>
>>2698988
Yeah no, I've never had that issue.
>>
>>2698988
Nah man, im actually pretty happy.
Even if im pretty shitty.
>>
>>2699007
>Every single one
Not really
>>
Nah, I eat well and excercise often. Suicide thoughts can happen, but it's mostly cognitive dissonance while being near ledges regardless of mood.
>>
>>2698988
Only unhappy people who had a rough childhood go through this. Which just so happens to be a majority of artists.
>>
>>2698988
I have I'm diagnosed with MDD and some anxiety thingy that I don't remember a while back after 2 failed suicide attempts

had to regularly take anti-depressants at some point just to function and decided that it wasn't worth it since it was expensive and didn't want to rely on them

a few things that have helped me is

1. getting a pet to keep you company helps a lot

2. find a physical hobby to do I personally found lifting to be the best since you just focus on numbers and form to guage how well you're doing martial arts can be kind of depressing since the progression isn't linear

3. get out of the house even if you're not into meeting new people just going out and walking around helps a lot

4. lack of motivation is usually associated with lack of anything to draw so going out and meeting new people help with this process. a process I'm not all too fond of but it's necessary to go out and experience the world to be as creative as the people you look up to
>>
>>2699358
How do you learn to interact with people?
>>
>>2699359
hobbies are the easiest ways to go about it
lifting and martial arts give me an easy way to start a conversation because of common interest and you can just work your way from there

this is why I suggested hobbies because it's a gateway to meeting new people as well
>>
>>2699353
Actually when I heard that extreme depression and anxiety manifests in young people who have had traumatic experiences as small children, it all made sense. And then I was able to say to myself "this isn't you, this is something that was caused by that one thing that happened when you were like 5, and all that other shit after that, it's not you and it's not your fault", to know that it's not my fault was just enough to slowly start to crawl out of that dank dark hole OP is talking about.

My entire early 20's were spent on this realization, but better late than never. At least I know.
>>
>>2699330
yeah sure there is that one Mr. Sunshine 24/7 that is also HUMAN??? yeah right. You only know them from the outside anon.
>>
>>2698988
>Tumblr
>not /r9k/

Your new is showing.
>>
>>2699388
Artists go on tumblr not /r9k/, that's for trash.
>>
>>2699376
>have had traumatic experiences as small children

But anon... those experiences WERE MY FAULT

Nigga I feel worse.
>>
>>2699362
What are some easy hobbies or normal hobbies?
>tfw art is a hobby
>>
File: 1463374135825.gif (97KB, 498x594px) Image search: [Google]
1463374135825.gif
97KB, 498x594px
>>2699391
No, anon. It's not your fault.

https://youtu.be/GtkST5-ZFHw
>>
>>2699266
This explains my initial question well enough, but since we're having a discussion without major shitposting, let's keep it running.

Is depression caused by existential crisis no different from the regular one? My life's great, parents love me and nothing prevents me from being a fucking surgeon if I wanted, but well I don't. Logically (with some minor religion and philosophy) I came to a conclusion that everyone would be better off if I didn't exist and left no children or thoughts behind for people to follow. I can also be happy only when not thinking, that means drinking, pumping my brain with endorphins from sport (which is basically a drug), getting caught up in the process of drawing or deliberately focusing on keeping my head empty.
Honest question, do I keep denying my findings for the rest of my life, off myself or is there something I'm missing?

>>2699388
Don't you tell me you believe an average robot and a tumblrina are comparable.

>>2699393
Something cheap that doesn't put a lot of pressure on you. Slow running (barefoot is cool) , cycling, regular exercise, plain-air drawing, reading, learning an ukulele, whatever makes you feel alive I guess.
>>
File: hellodarkness.gif (491KB, 460x345px) Image search: [Google]
hellodarkness.gif
491KB, 460x345px
>>2698988
Oh yes, I had that, it was because I hit burnout. Took me 2 years to get better...so yeah
>>
>>2699413
>Don't you tell me you believe an average robot and a tumblrina are comparable.

Both are desperate virgins.
Both blame external factors for being shit themselves.
Both shit on the opposite sex.
Both are fat.
Both are ugly.
Both have special snowflake issues.

>Muh aspergers and depression don't allow me to have a job.
>Muh genderfluid discrimination.

Both stay on a safe internet hugbox with retarded like-minded individuals to feedback on their faggotry.
>>
>>2698988
Yeah, I had my own hole I got stuck in for a good long while. Couple of suicide attempts, NEET for a few years, pissing in bottles and wishing I was dead, the works.

All my own fault too, really.

I didn't just snap out of it, it took someone showing me that my problems were solvable by giving me a little control over my own life. It wasn't much, but it was enough.

Idk, most artists seem to go through real low periods. Wouldn't be a problem except this is a craft that demands dedication through thick and thin, ey?
>>
>>2699266
>eople who have depression are subconsciously looking for more attention, understanding, and a way to connect with other people
This... is sadly badly what most people think.

Some people it's a physical brain disease that that causes their mental illness. The wiring in their brain is fucked.

For those people telling them to "get over it" would be like trying to run a 64bit program on a 32bit processor.
>>
>>2698988

Never had depression, but i've been miserable and frustrated for pretty much all my life. It's more like a dark valley with no life nor light and I must scavenge what falls to survival. Sometimes I have burts of self-hatred if that counts.
>>
File: 1475476583604.jpg (96KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1475476583604.jpg
96KB, 640x640px
>>2699378
>you only know them from the outside anon.
Do you realize that this also applies to you anon. Just because I perceive life one way doesn't mean other people do it the same way too.
>>
>>2701273
So people just magically got this brain issue only recently? Gotta be a fast development. Because the rate of supposedly depressed people has skyrocketed and went hand in hand with the comfort and daily life improvements of the general population.

On top of that, it also closely follows the wealth of a nation. Any nation. The more commodity, the more depression.

Go ask some tribe in africa how many of them are depressed. Go ask some 1950's coal miners. I bet none of their brain happens to be wired for it, what a coincidence.

It's always a "get over it bitch" problem. You're depressed because you watched too much tv and like a cuck you lived years of your life idolizing others so much so that you became a slave to them instead of growing yourself.

Half the people I know claim are depressed and in serious need of help. They spend 100% of their free time doing the most obtuse and drone shit you can imagine, like cheering for a music band to make more money or thinking they individually matter to them so they write them a letter. Turns out when you are never faced with a single problem in your richfag life you have to create your own to make it interesting.

People who reject this also reject coming to terms with reality for any other reason because they've been spoiled to hell and back. That's a natural response for them. Depression is more about parents having no long-term education plan than the emo kid wanting to suicide.
>>
File: envelopingdarkness.png (25KB, 376x538px) Image search: [Google]
envelopingdarkness.png
25KB, 376x538px
>>2701289
is
isn't that depression
>>
Smart people learn things faster. Go read a philosophy book then start drawing.
>>
>>2699002
I've tried eight pills that were prescribed now. And about three years of therapy.

Just fuck me up. The only things that work are opiates.
>>
>>2699390
>tfw I go on /r9k/ to suffer
>suffer and hate myself
>drink
>>
>>2705026
>tfw the brain can be so fucked up that it needs pills
What do you even do in therapy though? Isn't it the same shit as self-therapy that normal people do?
>>
>>2705035
>tfw I go on /r9k/ to have fun and talk to robots because I have no friends
>>
>>2705036
Usually I sit there playing Skyrim. When I'm high I tell the therapist why I hate therapy.

I have also used therapists to manipulate my family. That's probably the one good thing.
>>
>>2705040
sometimes
I go there
and I convince myself I'm a misogynist

t. a woman

[spoiler]only when I'm fucked up or didn't take the meds that do nothing but upon which I depend after months of use, I swear[/spoiler]
>>
>>2705047
Oops. That was me. I can't function. Kill me please.
>>
>>2698988
What is the source of that image, I tried looking around but I couldn't find it.
>>
>>2705127
Nevermind, found out. Monobeno. Typing smug brought up a lot more results.
>>
File: 1472260051395.png (852KB, 612x609px) Image search: [Google]
1472260051395.png
852KB, 612x609px
>>2705047
>>2705035
I did these everyday for like two or three months before I said "fuck this shit" and vowed to never lurk that board again- it's just not healthy even if the memes are super dank
>>
>>2705161
I can't pull myself away, the memes
they're too dank
and the people
I relate to them in the autistic depressed degenerate druggie fuck sense
and the misogynist threads
I hate women
but also men
but also women so.
You know.
I even hate myself!
>>
>>2699353
i come from a middle class family in america and went to a private catholic elementary school and i still went through that shit
what happened
>>
>Everyone here has had it at some point, right?

No.

The worst depression I get is usually during the winter when I have a few months of feeling kind of shitty and unmotivated, but I never get suicidal.
>>
>>2698988
dont use medicine op

exercise by pushing yourself a little further than what you would normally do(jog for five minutes longer, walk an extra mile or bike to new location and try new shit(draw new shit, listen to new shit)
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.