[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

LINE OF ACTION

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

File: lineofaction2.jpg (171KB, 698x825px) Image search: [Google]
lineofaction2.jpg
171KB, 698x825px
I dont get the line of action.
How does it work?
How do you decide what limbs to allign to it?
Theres something missing
>>
post some images of your own and I'll show you
>>
You just gotta feel it.
>>
File: tumblr_n3xh91F2Vr1tugm28o1_1280.jpg (648KB, 1200x1650px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n3xh91F2Vr1tugm28o1_1280.jpg
648KB, 1200x1650px
>>2697943
it's not really an exact science or anything, just an abstraction of the overall flow of the figure. The more the limbs form a consecutive line with the spine, the stronger the line of action. It always goes from the spine towards the limb that lines up with the flow of the spine the most. In a grounded figure, that's usually the weight bearing leg.
>>
Would it be correct to understand the line of action as some bezier curve that just influences all limbs, like marionette strings?
>>
>>2697943

IMO don't actually draw the line of action, just think of it as a tool to explain the general direction of gesture/attitude and help you create more dynamic poses.
>>
>>2697943
The line of action is bullshit.

The images still show worthwhile things you should keep in mind.
>>
>>2697950
I guess you don't want help then.
>>
>>2697960
>top left
Oh GOD my DDIIIIICCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKK
>>
>>2697960
That image shows that line of action is just a confusing term for "proper use of negative space"
>>
>>2698070
Uh, no, not at all actually. It explains how to make a stronger statement with the gesture of a pose by making the line of action more fluid.
>>
>>2697943
If you can't tell, just give up.
>>
>>2698088
>Uh, no, not at all actually
Are you retarded?
That image is basically about more effective use of negative space.
Are you mentally deficient?
>>
>>2698244
it has nothing to do with negative space you tard
>>
>>2697943
>How does it work?
Line of action creates a sense of life and movement, which in turn creates a 'dynamic pose'. IMO not always necessary for drawn art but definitely in sculpture and heavily detailed pieces because it helps the audience get a sense of what's going on faster.

>How do you decide what limbs to allign to it?
Always the spine. After that, consider the 'active' parts of your image. Punching? Make sure the line includes the arm. Generally you want to exaggerate the rest to emphasise the line; a leg might be outstretched, or whatever.

Look into straight vs curved lines too, there's a lot of that in your OP image.
>>
>>2698524
Ignore him, he doesn't know shit.
>>
>>2697960
>>2697943
lol these are both shit

Yeah gesture is important to keep your poses from looking stiff, but at the same time everything doesn't always need to be exaggerated to the utmost limb-breaking extreme.
>>
>>2699907

>drawings by one of the best animators of all time is shit

okay buddy thanks for your wisdom
>>
>>2699907
>lol these are both shit
Looking for trouble boy. I'm guessing you came from a "the only good art is realism" background

>everything doesn't always need to be exaggerated to the utmost limb-breaking extreme.
No shit, ops pic is from a cartoon animator probably for cartoon animators where they need to know when and how to exagaggerate
>>
File: 1472858217048.jpg (334KB, 1200x977px) Image search: [Google]
1472858217048.jpg
334KB, 1200x977px
>>2699907

>Doesn't understand drawing for animation.
>Opens big fat stupid mouth anyway.
>>
>>2699907
Obviously not everything has to be exaggerated to the extreme, one of those images you quoted even says as much. But if you want to learn about line of action, it's easiest explained via exaggeration and the kind of artists who make the most use of this concept tend to be animators, who usually do work with a lot of exaggerated body languages and poses.
>>
>>2699907
Post your line of actions
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.