[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/abeg/ - Absolute Beginner Thread:

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 201
Thread images: 47

Because there's no reason to keep cluttering up the Beginner Threads with our shit.

I have nothing to show because I have been working and not practicing because I am stupid ;_;

No the OP of the last thread btw
>>
>>2696263
Why would you create such a train path? Just put it on the ground.
>>
>>2696357
Trains are terrible with slopes, they can't go up very well since they're so heavy. That's why they blast holes through mountains for them instead of going up and down.
>>
where is the line between /abeg/, /beg/, and the drawthread?
>>
>>2698077
only god knows
>>
>>2696263
Why even bother with beggining?

Strat /nbeg/ - Never Beginner Thread, where you can whine about work, depression, lack of inspiration, lack of neuroplasticity after 25, procrastination and all other stuff that stops you from drawing.

Keep everyone up to date about your zero progress.

Inform us daily how you are still not sure, if you should go to an art school.

It will also keep /ic/ clean, since 50% threads here are about that.
>>
File: bored_baby.jpg (29KB, 455x290px) Image search: [Google]
bored_baby.jpg
29KB, 455x290px
Fuck me, did you really need to make ANOTHER one of these?

Just post in the beginner thread. Absolute beginners can go there - the advice you get there for your trashy 5 minute halfassed "sketch" is going to be the same as you get here.
>>
>>2698256
>75% of the threads here are about that
FTFY
>>
>>2698256
keeeeeeeeeek
>>
>>2698256
Ever watched Andrei Rublev? Not everyone is autistic. People just need more reason, a revelation of faith, before they can truly submit themselves for their creation. This catharsis may take time and effort to achieve. We need to encourage each other, share our own opinions and story of strives, not only insult. Amateurs shouldn't whine all the time, and professionals should give words of advice, encouragement, and wisdom, not just technical advice. Some fresh and encouraging inspirations would be nice too, because even the most mvp artist on /ic/ seem to lack decent ideas.
>>
I didn't know there was a level below the /beg/ thread, just read the sticky, lurk and draw for a few months, that's it. Does that sound like that much of a struggle?
>>
>>2698277
Some people don't operate on advice and kind words. Some people never take it seriously when it's all fun and games 24/7. What some people really, really need is the harsh truth and being put in front of a choice - stop trying, either do or don't.

A simple 'ur a faget' can change a life.
>>
>>2698256
bodied
>>
>>2698270
>tfw you put hours into a drawing and post it legitimately proud of the tiny semblances of progress and douchebags assume i spent 5 minutes on it just because im new and shit all over it
Feels bad man )^:
>>
>>2698283
>being nice doesn't influence everyone equally so i'll just act like an asshole all the time to everyone
wew
>>
>>2698612
Maybe hold of posting for your first week of drawing, or if it isn't your first week get fucking real you aren't putting hours in
>>
>>2698624
>"How dare a beginner post in a beginner thread!"
If you say so senpai (:
You oughta run this board since you know so much
>>
>>2698277
Today i had no revelation of faith, so I drew nothing. Is it even possible to have a catharsis after 25?

>TFW not autistic enough to draw

/r/ encouragement and wisdom.

Wanted to add Andrei Rublev to watch but couldn't find him. What's his DA?
>>
Hey guys I am a absolute beginner. I got myself a graphic tablet but I absolutely suck at using it. I cannot even follow the lines if I try to trace a image of my waifu.

Are there any basic trainings methods to re-learn how to use a e-pencil?

Note I have not drawn anything for like 25 years. But just now I happen to have plenty of free time to do something new.
>>
>>2701409
peter han's dynamic sketching exercises
>>
>>2701415
thanks. This looks like good training
>>
File: IMG_2505.jpg (1008KB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2505.jpg
1008KB, 4032x3024px
why are my angles so high
>>
>>2701703
this dumb phone. it should be rotated to the right
>>
>>2701703
Get Erik Olson & his perspective bullshit asap. Just lesson one will help you out.
Also buy a ruler ffs
>>
>>2701703
What's that supposed to be? You do know that two parallel lines converge to a point on the horizon, right?
>>
>>2701736
Or Scott Robertson's Basic Perspective Form Drawing
>>
>>2701703
This has to be bait. No one is this shit at drawing.
>>
>>2701703
You should use a ruler or straightedge.
>>
>>2701703
is this what happens when that neuroplacebo thing kicks in? I'm only a few years off 25, but I don't want to go from bad to total shit like this anon.

Drawing every day prevents this, right?
>>
>>2702087
>falling for the meme

the only thing that breaks down as we age is our ability to fight off cancer
>>
So did most of the people on this board just decide to take up drawing one day? Or been drawing most of their lives? I just thought about it taking it up a few minutes ago and came here to have a look
>>
>>2702162
We come from all walks of life. Read the sticky though.
>>
File: lines.png (113KB, 1000x707px) Image search: [Google]
lines.png
113KB, 1000x707px
Got a Wacom Intuos Pro and I'm completely lost. Using Krita 3.0.1.

Pic related is "Superimposing Lines" exercises from Lesson 1 of drawabox. What the fuck am I doing wrong? If I can't even draw correct lines I'm fucked...
>>
>>2704789
Have you managed to do the excercise traditionally? Can you post that for comparison? (just so we know it's not the software just fucking your shit up)
>>
File: comic001.jpg (419KB, 680x2114px) Image search: [Google]
comic001.jpg
419KB, 680x2114px
>>2704789
You're drawing too slow, and letting your lines wobble. This exercise is pretty difficult, so don't expect to be able to nail it perfectly immediately (or even after plenty of practice). It's something you do regularly for a long time.

What you should be seeing right now are smooth lines, but that likely part slightly near one end. That is, as opposed to wobbly lines that waver back and forth around the guideline.

Pic is the comic drawabox has to explain the issue behind the wobbly lines.
>>
>>2705185
They wobble cause he sucks. It ain't about speed at all. It wobbles even if you go fast.
>>
>>2704789
keep it up, anon. build that muscle memory.
>>
>>2705185
Seriously, the author of drawbox is insufferable.
>>
>>2704795
>>2705185
>>2705187
>>2705202
I'm the anon from before. Thanks for the nice comments.
Pic related is 10 superimposing lines in traditional 2H pencil. Tried going faster but still wobbly...

I'll go and build some more muscle memory, then move to the next exercise. If I get stuck, I'll post again.

I disabled Windows Ink and Forced proportions, anything more I should do? Also, why does Krita not recognise the "Rotate" function of the Ring? It just zooms in and out.
>>
File: IMG_20161006_172803.jpg (2MB, 4160x2336px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161006_172803.jpg
2MB, 4160x2336px
>>2705787
Forgot pic, I'm dumb.
>>
File: 20161006_153520.jpg (678KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
20161006_153520.jpg
678KB, 1600x1200px
Rate my arm
>>
>>2706346
6/10 not bad
>>
File: 8D.jpg (5KB, 67x109px) Image search: [Google]
8D.jpg
5KB, 67x109px
>>2696263
>>
>>2705789
You should really learn the lessons and watch the video demonstrations carefully.
You're not suppose to grind up a particular lesson or exercise until you're satisfied, you're to try your damned best on the exercises and do the homework as provided and move on to the next lesson.

Drawabox is designed so that all your lessons from previous lessons are applied to the next lesson. For example everything you learn in Lesson 1 is applied in Lesson 2. Everything in Lesson 1 and 2 is applied to Lesson 3 and so forth. Every day before sit down before doing a lesson you should pick 2 exercises (note: exercises, not lessons, not homework, but exercises) from the previous lesson you learned and do them. This gives you a refresher and warms up your hand.

Follow instructions as followed and take your time doing what is presented, you're asked to work in a felt tip pen or a brush pen for various reasons: 1.) To discourage you from randomly scribbling, randomness is not how you become better. You're to think, prepare, and plan each individual stroke. It may become troublesome at first, but over time you'll get use to it. And 2.) Too see what your mistakes are. You're to face your mistakes head on and assess why and how you fucked up to better understand how to prevent them in the future.

Ultimately you can do Drawabox anyway you damn well please. But to absorb the most from the program you really should stick to what is recommended..

>>2705789
Lesson 1 explains the common errors to lines.
Wobbly lines = Too slow, you're overthinking. Let the pen do the work and stop second guessing yourself
Stray lines = You're going too fast, speed is no the name of the game; you're looking for accuracy.

The Super Imposing line exercise is to help you find the middle ground that works best for you that lets you stay accurate without sacrificing line quality. The exercise is designed to get you use to going over a line, which eventually evolves into the next exercise "ghosting"
>>
>>2707607
You're Uncomfortable aren't you?
>>
What repercussions are to be had if I immediately jump into figure drawing with no drawing experience under my belt
>>
>>2707683
You will get frustrated and bored, then you will stop drawing.
>>
>>2707683
just go for it if it's what you want to do, dude. there's no right way to learn to draw. jump right into what you think you'll enjoy, kids do it all the time.
>>
File: 1475974368716841794332.jpg (504KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1475974368716841794332.jpg
504KB, 1600x1200px
>>2706346
Can you give me some tips to improve it then
>>
>>2708084
Meant for>>2707347
I need some sleep
>>
>>2707607
Thanks for the tips again. I'll take it into consideration. I think I get how I should manage the lessons now. (I do them in both traditional and digital.)

I'll do the ghosting thing now because Super Imposing lines has become extremely boring (I've done much more than the recommended 2 papers full of lines) and I feel like my creativity is slowly dying when doing those lines...

How much should I be able to do in a single sitting? Half of a lesson? Also, is it a good idea to go through all 15 lessons of the website, or is there a point where the lessons fall apart?
>>
>>2708101
If you do tackle drawabox digitally, make sure you try your best to emulate pen (no erasing), the goal of Drawabox is to teach drawing while improving your line confidence and accuracy; as stated above randomness is not to be encouraged (no chicken scratch!).

Yeah, super imposing lines would definitely get boring after a while, just do the minimum required for the homework and move on!

Do as much as you like, it's up to you. I won't encourage sitting through all exercises AND homework of a lesson in one go. Just do as much as you can/want and then take a break and when you come back give the lesson a reread and knock out whats left.

The lessons are structured in a way where I recommend that you do all of them in order. Lessons feel very repetitive but none seem to fall off, for me at the very least.
>>
>>2698612

Anon, if it takes 5 minutes to identify the flaws in the drawing you spent hours on, it takes 5 minutes to identify the flaws.
If you're new the flaws are going to be pretty fucking obvious even if you put in a lot of effort. You don't need to put equal effort into the critique as the person put into the work.

The point of posting your work here isn't to get asspats, there are plenty of far better venues for that if a pick-me-up is all you want. /ic/ is a place to get shit on and maybe 1 in 10 times actually have someone who knows what they're talking about give you a good critique.
>>
>>2708271
I'll unbind Ctrl+Z in Krita then. I think I'm getting the hang of the lessons, so I won't be posting too much any more unless I hit a wall. Thanks again.
>>
>>2696263
Could someone post that tutorial with the shrimp please?
>>
Bumping this up. Getting into Hampton. Any advice?
>>
File: image.png (370KB, 653x3801px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
370KB, 653x3801px
>>2711615
>>
>>2707683
Split a drawing session into two parts - studies and creativity. Practice the basics during the first part, then you'll have earned a bit of time to do what you like - figures, anime, abstraction, whatever.
The figure is the most complex thing that exists and we all know that if you don't follow the simple→complex rule, you are bound to fail.

>>2712016
Hampton is quite advanced and assumes that you already know the basics. He's a splendid teacher, but if you're starting out you should first look into Keys to Drawing, Fun With a Pencil, Drawabox and Proko, more or less in this order.
>>
>>2714188
What are "basics"
>>
Today marks day 14 of drawing, wish me luck
>>
>>2714196
sorry for the delay
I literally listed books and websites that explain this in detail, but here's you basics:

>The basics I:
1. Learn to hold the pencil.
2. Learn to draw a line.
3. Learn to draw a shape. (2D)
4. Learn to draw a form. (3D - perspective)
5. Learn to connect forms inorganically. (still life)
6. Learn to connect forms organically. (gesture)
7. Learn to draw simple organic subjects. (plants, insects, small animals)

>The basics II - the human:
8. Learn to draw the skeleton - proportion and landmarks.
9. Learn to draw a mannequin - proportion and perspective.
10. Learn to draw muscle (force) and fat (weight).
11. Learn anatomy. Plenty of books on this topic.
12. Put it all together.

Don't think of this like a staircase, you're never standing on one step only. It's more like a kettle of soup where you add more and more ingredients while stiring up what you already know, every day. The foundation is always more important than the design.
>>
Any tips on lettering/numbers or guides?
>>
>>2714871
Look into typography for that. There are specific guidelines as far as that stuff goes, but as long as you have a ruler it can be easy to do.
>>
>>2714644
Should I just draw everything in the book/do the exercises? A lot of books that you listed are just words words words words psuedoscience tapping my locked potentional and all that boring bullshit
>>
File: obinban.jpg (99KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
obinban.jpg
99KB, 600x600px
>>2707369
>>
>>2715233
With Keys to drawing - sure, you can just skim through it and do the exercises. It's for the absolute beginner who suffers symbol drawing, line confidence etc. It's still a pretty good read tho.

Fun with a pencil is also more of a skim through kinda book, just to get a general idea about the importance of construction in drawing.

With Drawabox I recommend doing it with patience and reading it as well, 'cause there isn't a lot and it's a very good resource for construction.

Proko makes short videos where he specifically tells you what, how and how much you have to do.
>>
is there a tutorial out for various methods of head and facial construction? i'd like something inbetween the detailed and cartoony loomis styles for quick practice. or would it be best to just experiment with references?
>>
How do you draw someone bending or sitting? I have so much trouble with both of those, I can only seem to draw someone standing up.
>>
>>2716227
Read a book, nigger.
Noone will teach you about perspective here.
>>
>>2716129
Standard loomis head is great, but I dislike the fact that the actual head is not rounded, it's more like a capsule shape.
You can draw a ball for cranium, a curved line in perspective for eyes and a little shadow under the nose, that's what I like to do.
Triangle for the points of hairline, back of the head and chin is pretty good, too.
Or just lay down some landmarks important for the pose you're drawing, like the back of the head where spine connects or the jawline.

>>2716227
Draw a bean shape or the famous animator's pillow.
>>
>>2716227

I came here to say the bean but someone else said it before me.

For real though, drawing beans is shockingly helpful for constructing good poses. Proko has a good primer video on it. From there you need to get the hang of attaching limbs to them and knowing how best to foreshorten, which at its most basic means you should have a rudimentary idea of perspective and basic shapes.
>>
When someone says draw the motion not the contour, what do they mean; how do you SEE the motion in lines?
>>
>want to draw figure
>learn drawing basic shapes and positioning them in 3d in my mind and on the paper
>learn how to combine shapes
>decide to read "Keys to Drawing" book on how to draw
>they say to draw the contour and not the shape first

H e l l o ?
>>
File: lineofaction2.jpg (171KB, 698x825px) Image search: [Google]
lineofaction2.jpg
171KB, 698x825px
>>2716477

It takes some getting used to, but most tutorials on gesture drawing will talk about it. The common phrase is finding the line of action.

For example, as an exercise if you were to take pictures of people in motion, try and capture the motion in one or two lines.

Pic off of google but it illustrates the point of what a line of action is. I find if you establish that line first and then build on top of it your stuff will look more dynamic. If you're using a photo ref it doesn't hurt to exaggerate the line of action a little, I find trying to copy the post 'accurately' makes it stiff more often than not. Try to use curves rather than straight lines unless you're intentionally going for a really solid / stiff pose.
>>
>>2716481
silhouette --> geometric forms --> detail

many people will just skip the first step when copying what they see
>>
I'm stuck on learning basic shapes.
I can't seem to make a perfect cube, sphere or cylinder.
>>
I've been drawing casually my entire life, but I'm still shit at it. I can do okay within my comfort zone, but when I try to venture beyond that it just goes right to hell. It's demoralizing. It's like I'm not getting better at all even though I'm practicing.
>>
>>2716735
Are you drawing with your wrist? If so, try drawing with your elbow or shoulder instead.
>>
my lines turn out wobbly on a tablet unless i go slow and lift my arm. it doesn't feel the same as on paper
>>
>>2701703
Look around your house and draw boxy furniture from life. You are trying to draw boxes like you learned from geometry, but they don't look like that in real life. Go draw boxes from life, it will help.
>>
Why do I feel so uncomfortable drawing human figure?

I don't have this problem with any other object or landscape.
>>
>>2718213

Because the human body is complex and little mistakes look very 'wrong' compared to many other subjects (a hill that looks 'wrong' doesn't repulse us the same way a face or body that looks 'wrong' does).
>>
File: 1449947753093.jpg (30KB, 948x711px) Image search: [Google]
1449947753093.jpg
30KB, 948x711px
>>2696263
The conception of a beginner thread is a cancerous idea.

It's unnecessary filtration and containment of bad art.

Those threads are constantly under the influence of the infamous Dunning-Kruger effect.

I'd say those threads need to be uprooted and removed from this board. They're mainly causing a great deal of harm. I'm watching people post "references" only to then immediately draw shapes and lines. No form. No 3D. The blind leading the blind.

Beginners should be shitting up the draw thread and getting ripped apart, not hiding out in a hug-box.

The draw thread shouldn't be "pretty picture general". I believe it should serve a more utilitarian purpose than that.
>>
>>2708084
You need to check out draw-a-box, and you need to spend a minimum of 2-3 hours on each lesson.

You're not above anything that he's showing you.
>>
>>2696263
>>2718253
The greatest insight I've had into the path I should follow has come from the draw thread on /ic/, not the beginner thread.

It's a damn shame the mods are so detached from the happenings of the board.
>>
File: shit.jpg (190KB, 835x652px) Image search: [Google]
shit.jpg
190KB, 835x652px
fun-zies :D
>>
>>2718213
What do you mean by uncomfortable?
Do you just not like looking at the naked human body or does its complexity intimidate you?
>>
>>2720410
>>
File: stravinski upside down.jpg (102KB, 699x936px) Image search: [Google]
stravinski upside down.jpg
102KB, 699x936px
>>
File: IMAG2198.jpg (278KB, 986x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG2198.jpg
278KB, 986x1000px
I seem to have a pretty good idea of the sphere now, but still struggle with Loomis' heads. Any other exercises I could do, or just more practising?
>>
>>2720286
It's a messy sketchbook just like the masters have and I appreciate the effort and all, but you probably aren't as good as you think you are. Start at the start, move towards the finish.
Work on your muscle memory and line quality so you can draw larger. Learn to draw form instead of flat muscle shapes.

>>2720701
Sorry but no, you don't have a very good idea of how the sphere works.
Drawabox is what you need.
>>
>>2720746

>Sorry but no, you don't have a very good idea of how the sphere works.

His lines are messy but if he did those from imagination he understands the form, which is the point of the exercise.

>>2720701

Keep practicing, but if you haven't done other shapes do them. The anon isn't wrong about drawabox, it'll teach you lots of basic forms which are fundamental for construction drawing. It'll compliment Loomis well.
>>
>>2720746
>>2720763
Thanks both!
And you are right, I'm way to insecure about the forms. I had hoped that I would get a feel of it by diving into loomis, but I guess it was prematurely done.
>>
>>2720773

>but I guess it was prematurely done.

I wouldn't say so. Learning forms and basic shapes is basically step 1 of learning to draw, unless you buy into some people on this board's opinion that you should spend 3 years drawing straight lines before you even touch a spherical form. I say keep going on Loomis, but check out Drawabox for a different resource on a similar concept.

It takes a lot of mileage to start getting clean confident lines, but you can still get an understanding of the fundamentals in the mean time. Practicing any will inevitably also be practicing your line control. The better your understanding, the more confident your lines will be.
>>
File: redline.jpg (65KB, 959x607px) Image search: [Google]
redline.jpg
65KB, 959x607px
>>2720701
>pic related

>>2720763
>>2720774
Truly understanding the form can take decades, anon. Vilppu spent his entire life trying to grasp that concept and all of his drawing videos are basically an attempt to share this immense knowledge with us.

It's most definitely not a step 1. A step one would be learning to hold and control your pencil, step two is drawing a straight line. If you rush any of these most basic exercises, you'll suffer in the long run. Drawabox (or "dynamic sketching for noobs") stresses this a lot. Loomis is not that easy to grasp, not for an /abeg/.
>>
File: gilbert.png (773KB, 868x429px) Image search: [Google]
gilbert.png
773KB, 868x429px
Have a question.
I can't go to sleep without the answer it itches so bad.
How this thing is called when you use graphical representations which are non functional. For example apple ipad keyboard had ridges depicted on it's keyboard f and j keys.
I read an article or some shit and I remember this thing about apple keyboard.
And now I want to know how is it called. Tried googling every which way, came to no fruition.
>>
>>2720796
can you rephrase your question in english?
>>
>>2720796
>skeuomorph
>>
File: 20161022_134215.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20161022_134215.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
Should I give up
>>
>>2721162
Dont be a pussy, friend.
>>
>>2721164
is it good
>>
File: pencil measuring.jpg (133KB, 1600x1117px) Image search: [Google]
pencil measuring.jpg
133KB, 1600x1117px
Is this how pencil measuring works? for example do you bring your pencil closer in order to make bigger drawings and further away to make small ones?
>>
>>2721169
No. But it doesn't mean you can't do better.
>>
File: 20161022_135950.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20161022_135950.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
I dont know how to improve practice isnt helping
>>
>>2721179
It is helping, you just don't think it is. Keep drawing and you'll see it if you look back a month.
>>
>>2721174
>>2721179
oops
>>
File: trash.png (270KB, 962x236px) Image search: [Google]
trash.png
270KB, 962x236px
Am I doing Loomis right? Is his stuff supposed to be copied or what?
>>
>>2721207
If you don't know if you're doing Loomis right, then you're doing it right. Loomis is just construction. Putting things together like a puzzle. Put a nose, ears, eyes on a blank ball to get a face.
>>
>>2721208
That's it? Repeatedly? Even through most recent practice looks like absolute shit compared to early ones?
(Is there even an explanation for this sort of phenomenon?)
>>
>>2721207

At a guess I'd say not entirely. Are you copying blokefaces out of the book or making your own?

They're simplistic and cartoonish for a reason. You'll notice they're basically all made out of very simple shapes. The idea is that you should be able to 'invent' a face using mostly basic shapes like spheres.

Take the noses for example. Are you able to 'wrap a line' around the noses in your drawing in the same way as you would a simple sphere? If you are, you're on the right track. The main idea is to understand the face as a series of shapes plastered onto a ball.
>>
>>2721210
Line control comes with time. This phenomenon is no phenomenon, it's called practice. You go up and you go down, but it's always going to get better if you keep drawing.
>>
>>2721215
Unfortunately, the first. Even though the book said that I was supposed to copy the blue lines >only, I ended up copying the black ones as well. But that's what I suspected, that's why those faces turned out to be better than I expected. (Still terrible, anyway.)

About the nose, I THINK I may able to pull out one properly though I felt too intimidated by my lack of skill to actually try it out. In the end, I guess I just needed somebody else's direction, thanks for the advice. I'll try to post more trash in case it smells better.

>>2721216
If you could only guess how many times I've dropped drawing because of that. Good to know it's all about grinding.

While at it, I tend to do 30 mim gesture exercises (The "class mode" available at Pixel Lovely.) Anything I should keep in mind? Should I focus on Loomis or at gestures?
>>
>>2721225
Just do what you are doing, don't change it up or anything. People change too quickly because they don't see results. Huge mistake. You'll be changing all your life if you do that.
>>
I've learned anatomy and can draw a figure from imagination for the most part but can't grasp gestures at all

I would watch proko do it and say to my self "hey, that's pretty easy" and when i start the gesture drawings i stumble over and keep tripping. I can't keep proportions, but when I focus on proportions i lose the gesture
>>
>>2721260
If you haven't been trying for a month or longer, just keep trying. Understanding comes with time.
>>
Picked up a copy of Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain or w/e it's called. And currently going through the book and finding each excercise and noting what page it's on

But do I really need the materials they "require", like the make-shift view finder and what have you? Or can I wing it
>>
>>2721264
Nevermind figured out instead of using a "viewfinder" and an object irl, i can just make a viewfinder in photoshop and find an object online to place it over.
>>
>>2721271

>i can just make a viewfinder in photoshop and find an object online to place it over.

Anon, 99% of references online have already had the "viewfinder" applied. The viewfinder is useful because your field of vision is generally wider than what your subject is going to be, and it helps you focus on your subject. When it comes to photography, the photographer has usually already composed the shot. Unless your ref is some wide angle shot, you won't need to impose a viewfinder.

Don't skip drawing from life entirely. The viewfinder isn't required for drawing from life but it doesn't hurt if you've got some cardboard and a box cutter lying around.
>>
I also picked up Drawing on the Right Side of The Brain, but I also got Loomis Fun with a Pencil, Keys to Drawing, and Hampton Figure Drawing because I want to be able to draw people.
I'm a begginner artist but can understand construction and learned my fairshare of anatomy in the past, but was wondering if I should go through them one at a time in order, or can I jump around? I just want to draw naked girls.
>>
>>2721299
Keys to Drawing is enough to draw naked girls.
>>
>>2721300
From sight sure, but waifus don't exist irl so thats why I have loomis and hampton
>>
>>2721307
Once you draw enough from sight, you'll be able to copy from memory and just fix up things a bit with your imagination. It's cheating, but no one cares if you cheat as an artist.
>>
I've studied loomis but i cant seem to think of things to draw, how into creativity
>>
File: 1444833118447.jpg (77KB, 600x822px) Image search: [Google]
1444833118447.jpg
77KB, 600x822px
>>2720887
thank you very much
>>2720881
>pic related
>>
I borrowed Drawing on The Right Side of The Brain from my Uni library, should I just work through that as a starting point then branch into Loomis?
>>
File: 2.png (1MB, 1600x408px) Image search: [Google]
2.png
1MB, 1600x408px
Can you guess what these objects are, or is my drawing too shit?
>>
File: IMG_20140606_225321.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20140606_225321.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>2721778
Also have some boxes.
>>
>>2721779
>think boxes are too straight
>probably used a ruler
>see ellipses
>oh shit skill is genuine
>>
>>2721810
boxes aren't that hard to get straight m8..
>>
>>2721810
m8 i didn't use rulerz. It took me like 3 days of drawing boxes for 2 hours straight to get that, it's not hard at all.
>>
>>2721778

Onion, lemon, pot?
>>
What's the name for the "skeletons" that people draw when starting to draw a person? Do artists, particularly comic artists, draw those every time they draw a person, or is it more of a beginner thing?
>>
File: DSC01783.jpg (2MB, 2673x2388px) Image search: [Google]
DSC01783.jpg
2MB, 2673x2388px
I've never made a vaporwave thingy before but how's this? I edited a photo I took in quebec by changing up the color balance and throwin in some trees and grid and some cherry blossom n shit
>>
>>2722030

I think that the cherry blossom tree takes away from the vaporwave aesthetic. I think it looks good other than that, though.
>>
>>2706346
upper arm is WAY too long for how long the forearm is, unless the perspective is skewed, which I don't think it is.
>>
>>2721310
So just copy my favorite porn images until i can create them on my own?
>>
File: 20161023_165419.jpg (2MB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
20161023_165419.jpg
2MB, 1536x2048px
>>2721162
Another. pls critique
>>
I want to kill myself
>>
File: IMG_20131214_181502.jpg (278KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20131214_181502.jpg
278KB, 1200x900px
>>2722012
First one's a pomegranate!
>>
>>2722197
We all do anon, it's okay.
>>
why is there a /beg/ and a /abeg/ thread? the quality of work is pretty much the same in both actually the work in here is better than in /beg/ to be honest. Its just splitting things up further for no reason.
>>
>>2722196
I really like your inking style, it reminds me of marjane satrapi's.
But holy fuck you need to work on your faces (especially the second one). Use references
>>
>>2721172
nah
you just use it to compare different elements (ie this arm is 2 times longer than this head, etc...)
>>
>>2722657
abeg is for artists who just picked up the pencil
beg is for self-hating artists who picked up the pencil years ago but say they'll draw but never do and then bitch about how futile life is

abeg = no experience
beg = little experience
>>
>>2721779
>>>/beg/
>>
>>2721751
Damn I downloaded the pdf of this one.
Is starting with this one alright or Should I start with the draw a box thing?
>>
I've just started getting into drawing.

How the fuck do you draw a circle? Seriously, I can draw a circle, but it always comes out like a scribbly mess, as though someone was constantly batting the pencil every step I was drawing.

what is the best way of drawing a smooth one? Quickly or slowly?
>>
>>2722738
Drawing on The Right Side of the Brain teaches you how to SEE and how to draw what you SEE.
Keys to Drawing teaches you how to SEE and how to draw what you SEE.
Eye to hand to paper

Drawabox teaches you how to CONSTRUCT based on strong fundamentals of utilizing geometric shapes such as the box. (hence the name)
Loomis teaches you how to CONSTRUCT

Anyways you don't HAVE to do one over the other, or one before the other. You can do both simultaneously if you'd like.
Just draw, really.
But I would reccomend doing Lessons 1 and 2 of Drawabox, and repeating the exercises daily as a 15min-30 min warmup before tackling your Drawing on the Right side of the brain exercise of the day.

You can skip all the pointless drivel in the book, just do the exercises.
>>
File: diagram_armpivots.jpg (48KB, 400x393px) Image search: [Google]
diagram_armpivots.jpg
48KB, 400x393px
>>2722742
Draw with your shoulder

http://www.drawabox.com/lesson/1
>>
>>2721779
Try without drawing out the VPs
>>
File: 20161024_134700.jpg (2MB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
20161024_134700.jpg
2MB, 1536x2048px
>>2722668
Thanks. I thought the second one was one if my best :/. Is this better or worse? She's meant to look surprised.
>>
>>2721778
that pot one is pretty good. Keep it up bud
>>
>>2722746
my shoulder can't hold a pen
>>
>>2723086
Your wrist is still going too hold the pen.
What anon was saying is that you need to do the circle motion using your shoulder, while your wrist is completely locked.

Do NOT use your wrist to make the circle motion. Using your shoulder to do the motion will make your lines instantly better.
>>
>>2723086
kek
>>
>>2722940
I like:
>the composition
simple but it works
>the body
really, it's impressive for someone posting on /abeg/
>your use of values
making everithing dark but your character draws the eyes of the viewer to the character

I don't like
>the nose
I know noses are weird, but look at reference photos dude. This looks like it was made by a 8yo
>the chicken scratching
your inking was so clean in the other ones, why'd you need to chicken scratch on that one? the body is fine, but look at the hair or the background. Looks nasty doesn't it?
>the lack of eyebrows
how did you forget about eyebrows? You have two of them on your face.

She does look surprised, good job on that, but she'd look even more surprised with eyebrows.

Overall you're pretty good, I wouldn't have wasted my time on you i I tought you had no potential. You definitely have potential, but you gotta practice
>>
File: 1476492205431.png (148KB, 645x772px) Image search: [Google]
1476492205431.png
148KB, 645x772px
>>2722965
There is no keeping it up. That was 2 years ago and I gave up a long time ago.
>>
>>2723516
well then pick up a fucking pencil and a fucking sheet of paper and don't be such a gigantic faggot
>>
Any books or resources that teaches you how to draw people interacting with one another (like fucking), I can draw one figure fine but when I draw another figure interacting with it that new figure looks flat
>>
>>2723588
post examples
>>
>>2723588
Draw through the forms
>>
File: q6ZNNEX.jpg (78KB, 924x571px) Image search: [Google]
q6ZNNEX.jpg
78KB, 924x571px
>>2723527
>>
I didn't draw this, but is this guy lacking the fundamentals? I watched a bit of his stream on Twitch yesterday and found him not very good, but he works as an illustrator, so he can't be that bad. Would like to get the opinion of someone who knows this stuff on it.
>>
File: orc_man_by_sam_peterson-d5ljt7r.jpg (150KB, 1144x699px) Image search: [Google]
orc_man_by_sam_peterson-d5ljt7r.jpg
150KB, 1144x699px
>>2724039
>>
>>2724039
>>2724041
>>
>>2724039
>>2724041
Poor proportioning.
>>
>>2724039
I would say that he has workable fundamentals. Its enough for him to churn out fantasy pieces to fulfill client's brief.
>>
File: image.jpg (58KB, 511x643px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58KB, 511x643px
>>
File: image.jpg (48KB, 464x612px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48KB, 464x612px
>>
File: image.jpg (53KB, 496x632px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
53KB, 496x632px
Mugsssss
>>
>>2704789
Go grab a ruler and try to draw straight lines on your tablet using it. I worked with an intuos for half a year when I was a fresh beginner and didn't realize drivers were making my lines go wonky until I literally discovered they were wobbly even with a ruler. After that I went traditional. Far easier to learn without the added abstraction.
>>
>>2724022
aww don't cry anon
I was just mad cos you are wasting a lot of talent
>>
File: image.jpg (811KB, 1918x2370px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
811KB, 1918x2370px
Mugz guy here. Just fininished watching prokos first video. Wut u guys thank
>>
File: image.jpg (626KB, 1758x2268px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
626KB, 1758x2268px
>>
File: kurv.jpg (466KB, 864x1536px) Image search: [Google]
kurv.jpg
466KB, 864x1536px
Bad overall, but I like how his left leg turned out.
Should've used reference for the pose.
>>
File: 1474395878396.jpg (85KB, 550x358px) Image search: [Google]
1474395878396.jpg
85KB, 550x358px
>>2724417
looks ok you just need study FDFAIW no joke it will help
>>
>>2724452
I think I have downloaded this already a while ago. Gonna look into it, thanks.
>>
Which Loomis book is the best for fundamentals?
>>
>>2724452
>>2724832
>>2722745
God I'm autistic.

I´ll download some PDF and draw some shit.
>>
File: 1475284187486.jpg (118KB, 467x750px) Image search: [Google]
1475284187486.jpg
118KB, 467x750px
>>2724832
Fun with a pencil
>>
>>2724832
Figure Drawing For All It's Worth
>>
>>2724832

Fun With A Pencil gets you started and eases you into his methods of head construction.

Figure Drawing is exactly what it says as is Head And Hands.

Successful contains a lot about the fundamentals, the five shapes and perspective bits, but would be a heavy leap for someone who isn't already knowledgeable or geared. It's like... A supplemental of the basics or an expansion on.

The others. Don't know.
>>
>>2723241
Thanks for the honest feedback. I suck at noses. Yeah I forgot the eye brows that feel when drawing on speed amirite
>>
I dont know wtf to draw. Where to begin, anything.

I've been on/off with drawing for years. But I've never put time in because any time I try to learn it's always shit. And any time I try to draw people, or anything with symmetrical curves. It looks like lopsided shit. so idk wtf to do.

I want to learn to draw and paint, but meh.
>>
>>2725708
Well, practice drawing symmetrical curves a lot until you get gud.
Try drawing on graph paper if you're really having trouble telling if what you're drawing is symmetrical.
Other than that it's all just practice.
>>
File: 1424397621474.png (474KB, 705x485px) Image search: [Google]
1424397621474.png
474KB, 705x485px
>scott says perspective curves as it moves further from the vanishing point

well that explains why everything i've produced thus far looks like shit. all that "hur connect the dots, anon!" instruction was only half the truth; they watched me stumble with a stick and a blindfold with no goal
>>
>>2728229
What did you do before that?
Show example, I wanna kek
>>
File: IMG_2544.jpg (85KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2544.jpg
85KB, 1024x768px
>>2728242
o-ok...
>>
>tfw shit
>>
>>2725708
charles bargue drawing course
>>
>>2722015
I'm pretty sure Marvel uses it in their early constructions, as they have something like that shown in Drawing Comics - The Marvel Way right when they begin talking about making the figure. Don't know if there's an exact name for it, but it's highly convenient and isn't something done only by beginners.
>>
>>2724417
You can always use yourself for a reference. Strike the pose you want and stand in the mirror
>>
>>2728248
Forget about distortion, you CLEARLY do not have the basics of perspective down.
>>
>>2728698
give me the full critique senpai
>>
>>2721778
Pommegranat, pomelo, pot.
>>
How should I hold my pencil?
I read the whole "draw with your arm instead of your wrist" in draw a box.
But should I let my hand rest in the paper or not?
Should I hold the pencil at a certain angle?
Should I hold it differently than I usually do it to write stuff?

Maybe I'm thinking this too much, currently I'm trying to draw 250 boxes.

[spoiler] this new ads are fucking retarded[/spoiler]
>>
>>2731236
>I'm trying to draw 250 boxes.
That website has driven far too many good people to autism.
>>
>>2731239
Soo I shouldn't follow it's advice and I should try something else?
>>
>>2731246
Do whatever you feel is working and helping you make progress. The moment it stops working, move on to something else.

Personally I don't think drawing mass quantities of context-less boxes and cylinders is particularly helpful. I'd rather be drawing actual stuff.
>>
WAKE ME UP
>>
File: image_1.png (2MB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
image_1.png
2MB, 1200x1600px
Thread posts: 201
Thread images: 47

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.