[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Portfolio showcase

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

File: Sheila, the thief.jpg (278KB, 1000x1613px) Image search: [Google]
Sheila, the thief.jpg
278KB, 1000x1613px
Hello Anons!

I come humbly to show my portfolio and ask for critiques. I want to become a Magic the Gathering artist, and one day illustrate my own story.

My portfolio: https://www.artstation.com/artist/robmichel

Thanks in advance!
>>
>>2696150
Really weak
>>
>>2696150
weak
>>
>>2696162
Thanks Anon. Any tips to improve?
>>
>>2696150
They're probably just trollen, OP.

I dont really know much about painting and how to get into MTG and shit, but all the characters in your portofolio seems really static. There is very little movement in them, as in the poses of the characters, which makes them seem a bit lifeless to me. It feels as in all the pictures, the characters are "posing" for the camera, and it's not a picture of an actionfilled scene (The goblin mage, diablo 3 fanart for example)
>>
>>2696150
Everything is painted the same way. Like all your materials are the exact same matte-ish plastic look. I think you should focus on getting more variety in there, so have your metal feel like metal, get different types of cloth, get the ground to feel like gravel or earth, the rocks to feel rough and hard etc. Using texture and varying the ratio of diffuse vs specular reflections is important.

Otherwise I would just use more reference. The faces and designs are all a little bland and generic, the colours and shapes are a little boring. Use reference to bring in aspects to your artwork that you aren't able to make up out of your head. I think art needs a bit of serendipity like that to be interesting.
>>
IS VERY GUD TO ME, LITLE ROBSON
>>
>>2696170
I'm struggling to have movement, but I'll try to improve that in my next studies.

>>2696172

More references and variety, noted! Thanks!
>>
I go to masturbation myself with the your portfolio
>>
>>2696184
I'm flatered!
>>
>>2696150
Not sure if you're trolling with someone else's artstation. But in case of a slim chance it's actually you.

Your problems are fundamentals(surprise-surprise).

In order of importance:
1. Value
2. Edges
3. Anatomy

Work on those, and remove weakest pieces from you gallery - bach, violinist, troll.
>>
>>2697119
Thanks! I was already thinking about getting those removed. I just did that, they were kind of old.
>>
>>2696150
Does 3D matter in portfolios nowadays?
>>
File: 41234`2342.jpg (6KB, 227x225px) Image search: [Google]
41234`2342.jpg
6KB, 227x225px
>>2696150
edges, values, colors (things looks the same), subject matter is "Correct" but kinda boring, careful with fan art. all in all its all mileage and connections you seem good enough to get low to mid tier level jobs little more time and you will be there already. ask dave rapozza and dan warren for tips they reply a lot to people you might get lucky. in the end no one can tell you whats the best portfolio but yourself , you're doing well anyways.
>>
Of all the GoT characters, it just had to be Reddit's trifecta of Jon, Dany and Tyrion

jesus fucking christ
>>
>>2696150

Really good stuff OP, you obviously have the skill, just need to refine some fundamental (like the other post have stated).

If anything for sure needs work it's probably the static nature of your art. None of it's super dynamic and your angles are kind of weak/samey.

Only other real advice is probably do way less fanart. That works if you're trying to commission/reelance probably but I can't imagine people who will review your portfolio will care for it much. If I was personally reviewing a portfolio I would much prefer original content, don't know if that's the general case however.
>>
>>2697151
I don't know. Maybe only if you need to work with it, or to show that you can experiment with different fields.
>>2697159
Thanks! I've been doing some low level jobs already, but I wasn't sure what to focus on my development. I'll try to reach these guys!
>>2697168
Hey, don't mess with the three dragons!
>>2697170
I'll stop with fan art for a while. It will surely gimme some visibility, but it won't give me the RIGHT jobs.
>>
this is like early maybe mid 2000's mtg art work level.

Just keep working op and you need more action in your work it's a little boring and motionless.
>>
>>2696150
What is so good about working with mtg?

sounds like a shit gig. Make your own game.
>>
I could see the one above as an actual mtg card. I like them, but as some other guy said there could be more movement in some of the characters the, and the girl's face in new skies ahead is kind of offputting.
>>
>>2697262
It's widely considered to be the job that shows you've "made it" as a fantasy artist. It's sort of the classic benchmark. It also pays better than pretty much any other tcg except maybe Applibot, and since it's such a popular game that's been around so long a lot of artists grew up playing it so want to be a part of it.
>>
>>2697270
Don't ever talk to me or my wife's brothers uncles grandmas cousins friends sisters nephews dogs moms owners aunts sisters brothers mothers son ever again
>>
>>2697276
Shush.

You post these dumb comments everywhere.
>>
>>2697284
actually this is my first time posting one of these comments
>>
>>2697285
okay make it your last too.

thank you.
>>
>>2697300
>implying I don't do things just to spite and annoy people
>>
>>2696150
You might want to draw the rest of the image first before you apply for that job
>>
>>2697526
holy shit.
>>
>>2696150
Nice to see u around the art game my man <3 <3
>>
Great painting skills.

Shit story telling.

Extremely dry concepts.
>>
You're heading in the right direction.I'd say you should work on gestures.Right now most of your characters are really stiff.What I feel like you should focus on though is composition.I'd start by bringing the camera closer to the action.
>>
>>2696150
>adding tattoos piercings and an "attitude" to my pure waifu
kys
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.