[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This book came out in 1999. Any good how to draw anime books

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6

File: 51QWJS7P4HL.jpg (53KB, 336x475px) Image search: [Google]
51QWJS7P4HL.jpg
53KB, 336x475px
This book came out in 1999. Any good how to draw anime books written before then?

Particularly, I'd like to learn to draw manga and anime in the 1960s and 1970s style- the Osamu Tezuka era.
>>
You should look at manga and anime from that era then. That's the best references you'll get. This means hitting up a library or a bookstore.
>>
>>2692296
I have lots of manga from the era, especially from Tezuka and his disciples, but not how to draw books.

Like, I have a book from the 1930s on how to draw rubber hose animation written by the master of that style- Bill Nolan. I can't believe with how popular manga was in the 60s and 70s nobody wrote a how to draw book.
>>
there are no books other than shitty ones like in your OP image because drawing manga, in whatever style, is something japanese feed on as they grow from childhood into adolescence. When they finally decide to draw their own manga, the style they choose to depict their world with is an amalgamation of every influence, swimming in their subconscious. Not to mention, japanese humor is fucking weird. Japanese tropes in general are really awkward when emulated by a western artist. Even koreans try to copy it and its definitely not manga. There's manhwa that isn't bad, but it definitely isn't manga.
>>
>>2692325
But the earlier stuff from the 50s and 60s had clear influence from American cartoonists like Otto Messmer, Bill Nolan, and Segar.
>>
>>2692308
That's because manga was made to be copied easily and therefore they didn't need to create a how to, because the manga itself is a how to. How else do you think assistants work? They can't read a how to everytime.
>>
>>2692332
As opposed to 1930s newspaper cartoons?
>>
>>2692329
yeah, but that's history. It is interesting to think about how it evolved, though.
>>
File: tumblr_md4wqkOlrI1rbye5lo1_500.jpg (104KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_md4wqkOlrI1rbye5lo1_500.jpg
104KB, 500x750px
>>2692339
Yeah, I love it.

I wish a few anime series would get back to that.
>>
>>2692344
illuminati confirmed
>>
>>2692282
I think your best bet would amazon jp or you can download the manga or manga anthology from somewhere online, maybe bakabt?. And use those for study reference.
>>
Semi-related, but what happened to anime in general? There used to be a wide range of unique styles up until the early 2000's, but now even good, serious anime like the latest GitS looks a lot like deformed moe shit.
>>
>>2692282
I haven't seen old books yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if they exist. they certainly aren't in the open on the internet. You could have also luck searching for older art related magazines and manga magazines and early comic market stuff.
>>
>>2692308
If you already have the books then just grab some tracing paper and trace the characters. Break down their bodies into shapes, find the center line, get a sense of the flow. Obviously not a step by step guide, but it will help you understand how the characters are built.
>>
File: image.jpg (148KB, 1280x480px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
148KB, 1280x480px
>>2692626

>Le millenial moeshit meme

Dude, that thing has been up since forever.

Even since the eighties, there hasn't been any degree of variation in many styles, mainly because the greatest influences were universal at that time.

You can find it anywhere. It's easy to learn and really cheap to copy, let alone animate.

I can only think of retarded nostalfags talking about le moeshit as a brand new trend.
>>
>>2692308
They are out there, probably in japanese only. I also am looking.
>>
File: 1441682255047.jpg (28KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1441682255047.jpg
28KB, 500x500px
>>2692626
If you watched anime every season, you'd understand the subtleties and how different each style is to each other.

Just this season, we had Mob.

https://a.pomf.cat/chxyci.webm
>>
File: 1335360596658.jpg (785KB, 1250x1855px) Image search: [Google]
1335360596658.jpg
785KB, 1250x1855px
>>2692626
Ok, so

Back in the 80/90s you had fewer shows and more OVAs, many of which were unrelated to the TV anime. As you can see from the chart, there was less TV anime in the entire year of 1990 than there are in a season now.

But anime is still a niche genre, and these studios are all competing with each other to appeal to a niche audience, so there's less room for the experimental and unique stuff of decades past.

That's my theory, anyways.
>>
>>2698652
>anime
>niche
how? japs love their anime shit don't they? you see anime characters on the sides of trains and buildings all the time.
>>
>>2699472
You do, but its like Shin-Chan. Dragon Ball and Doraemon, mostly stuff for kids similar to how we use Batman or Charlie Brown for ads and stuff.
Anime is still seen there as for kids only, even with the artistic freedom for the genre in there
>>
check out manben
it's seriously amazing
documentary videos of mangaka working

http://www.dailymotion.com/playlist/x4dqih_HabaneroScans_urasawa-naoki-no-manben/1#video=x3b9jon
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.