[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/QTDDTOA/

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 320
Thread images: 59

File: no meme answers.gif (11KB, 181x222px) Image search: [Google]
no meme answers.gif
11KB, 181x222px
Couldnt find one so h-here i go!

questions thread
>>
The reason i started this thread was for my own question of course:

Anyone else realize that being on /ic/ and comparing yourself to other artists in general kind of made you forget the point of drawing, which is to have fun?
>>
>>2691342
Yes.
>>
>>2691342
>comparing yourself to other artists
I think this is the main part of your problem
draw for your own sake not draw like your artist waifu
thats probably why you find it boring.
nothing to do w /ic/
>>
>>2691341
Does anyone know whats happening when one day you are creating awesome, quality stuff you are happy with, then the next day everything you draw looks terrible? Its currently messing with my head.
>>
>>2691424
Well, have you ever done anything athletic and you got in your "zone", and you felt like king of the world all day, but the very next day you felt like a tired incompetent sack of shit? It's for the same reason.
>>
>>2691423
i dont find it boring, but i am stressed out by drawing. more than i think is normal, to the point where i burn out too often.

its not just drawing, too. this problem originated in my previous 'craft,' which was the major I got my bachelors degree in. started out loving it, ended not being able to work at all from fear/stress, and then jumped ship to art, the thing i thought would be 'the real passion.'
>>
>>2691428
then your problem isnt your work its yourself
>>
>>2691431
exeactamente, mon freund. the fear of persecution dwarfs self fulfillment, which leaves me feeling sick.

but im getting better. a few months ago i was in too deep to see any of this about myself. i believe that it starts with self-respect.
>>
>>2691432
always remember to beat your meat once a while
best of luck
dont quit practicing, draw some lolis for fun
>>
>>2691437
if only i had you here to suck me off while telling me what a devoted artist i am
>>
autismfag with a question:
a customer at my day job commissioned me based on my shitty chalkboard sign art... on what basis am I supposed to charge how long I take or how shitty I am or let them pay what they think its worth? they want a portrait copy of a photo in graphite, ty in advance ic
>>
>>2691448
if its that much work to think about, just do it for free and curry favors.
>>
>>2691452
ty for the response its not so much effort to think of it I just thought id ask cause ive never done a commission before
>>
>>2691448
[hours it will take, rounded up] X [what your time is worth]

Cost of materials is negligible in this case, but it's something to add when it matters. Keep in mind art is skilled labor and you should pay yourself above minimum wage. Copying a photo isn't exactly hard, but don't undersell yourself. It's something most people can't do.
>>
>>2691478
wow, im gonna use this as my rule of thumb.
>>
>>2691478
ok ty I might have to consider counting fewer hours though cause I am genuinely slow and it wouldn't be fair to charge per hour if it take me 20+ what someone normal could do in 4 - 5.
>>
How the hell do I stop pressing down so hard on paper when drawing? And what are the usual places to find hi-res photos of classic art, if I ever wanted to study the masters?
>>
>>2691492
drawing from the elbow is what helps me not put ditches in the paper
>>
File: SoZ7Fhs.gif (994KB, 450x221px) Image search: [Google]
SoZ7Fhs.gif
994KB, 450x221px
>>2691342
I just got over this myself actually. I think in a way seeing really good artists on /ic/ made me a bit jealous and hopeless but I kind of realize, just like how >>2691423 says, i remembered that I got into drawing because I liked doing it, not because I was trying to git gud, or get a thousand followers on tumblr. Nothing wrong with setting goals but don't lose sight of why you're really doing it. Like Thedore Roosevelt said "Comparison is the thief of joy." Be inspired by others but don't value your art based on the people around you.
>>
I'm following Loomis' instructions on Drawing the Head and Hands to the letter, but somehow it always looks wrong. Can someone explain the face proportions to me like the retard I am?
>>
File: 1453953059643.jpg (55KB, 417x417px) Image search: [Google]
1453953059643.jpg
55KB, 417x417px
Clip studio paint is fucking retarded.
Why is stabilization still enabled when the bar clearly says fucking zero? I click on it, type 0 for the value. There's still fucking stabilization. Every brush.

PLEASE. Someone help me. I can't use this program if it forces stabilizers on my fucking lines. My only other option is Photoshop and that's even worse for lining. Is there any work around for this? Google has nothing either.
>>
File: everybody do the.jpg (104KB, 493x565px) Image search: [Google]
everybody do the.jpg
104KB, 493x565px
>>2691517
Holy shit I think I got it - I was dividing the thirds wrong (based on top of the head instead of the hairline), I'm a retard indeed.
>>
>>2691341
I want to copy this style. What would be the best method of achieving this goal?

I believe studying all of his works, while looking at distinct traits within each work, will help me copy his style, but im unsure if thats the right way of doing things.
>>
>>2691682
I would look what kind of education or school the artists in question went to. That might help to understand their process and thus the result.
>>
Is it me or is Hamptons figure drawing book really unfinished? The info is good, the drawings are mostly great, but I feel like it skips around where some parts are extremely well organized and clear while others just pass over information really quickly. His stuff on the shoulders is passed over very fast, he doesn't even seem to have a section on the break down of the biceps and triceps in the same way he did the earlier torso muscles. Whats the deal?
>>
>>2691767
I wanted to make a thread about this too, anon. Lots of things raise questions on how to to a particular thing when X happens and there is no solution. I've tried watching some Q&A's from him and his answer to everything is "lol just find another approach".
>>
>>2691426
and that reason is...?
>>
How do I learn shading/values?
>>
>>2691800
Your art lobe is all pooped out, homie. Your brain wants to do what you want to make it do, but it doesn't want to do it on a consistent basis because it's very mentally intense.
>>
>>2691478
and unlike normies if commissions/free lancing is your only source of income unless your popular you might have some days where you *dont* have enough clients to fill that 9-5.
>>
Is there any merit to teaching yourself how to draw rather than following a guide or any sort of teachings other than things such as anatomy and etc?
>>
>>2691938
>teaching yourself how to draw
yes
>rather than any sort of teachings
no
>>
File: 1467559014176.png (155KB, 453x466px) Image search: [Google]
1467559014176.png
155KB, 453x466px
If I have an ipad and a computer with windows 7, how should I go about using it as a drawing tablet? I was thinking about using it as a another display for my computer first, but what's recommended to install for using an ipad specifically as a drawing tablet? Also, is there a specific kind of pen that I need in order for it to work on an ipad? Keep in mind I just want the cheapest options that work or else I'd get a real tablet for this.
>>
>>2691496
Thats a great quote to keep handy.
>>
File: street signs.png (179KB, 391x389px) Image search: [Google]
street signs.png
179KB, 391x389px
>>2691496
Yeah, Theodore Roosevelt can say that, but who am I compared to him?
Also, is this captcha a fucking joke?
>>
File: RhodiaWNB-01.jpg (74KB, 500x532px) Image search: [Google]
RhodiaWNB-01.jpg
74KB, 500x532px
Opinion on Rhodia for art? theyre cute af
>>
How does construction work in a pen drawing? Compared to graphite where you can lightly do it that's not the same case in a pen drawing since you'll see the lines anyway. Should I just do it like a pencil anyway?
>>
If I were to make a tumblr to post my stuff and I occasionally drew nsfw stuff, should I post said nsfw stuff under a completely different name?
>>
>>2692348
You draw over your construction work or just do it in your head.
>>
Is there a quick way to grab all the images in a thread? It's so slow to do it manually in a reference thread.
>>
>>2692474
The DownThemAll! extension for Firefox does this. Last I checked there weren't any extensions that came close to DTA's functionality, and it's one of the main reasons I use Firefox.
>>
>>2692539
>tfw use chrome
Well shit
>>
>>2692559
It's not like you're only allowed to install 1 web browser
>>
What book does /ic/ recommend for reading about 20th century or modern art?
>>
>>2692864
Good survey book to start off with
http://www.thamesandhudson.com/Modern_Art/9780500238417
>>
File: persp.jpg (161KB, 1003x659px) Image search: [Google]
persp.jpg
161KB, 1003x659px
How can I fit an ellipse into that blue square?

I'm trying to learn it and just don't get it. The red should be minor axis but it won't be in this example? is the perspective fucked or ellipse can only fit into perfect square?
>>
File: Untitled.png (137KB, 503x389px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
137KB, 503x389px
>>2692909
(Sorry my pic looks like shit, no tablet atm.)

You mean like this? I'm not sure I understand your problem.

You can fit an ellipse in any rectangular shape. If you fit an ellipse in a square, it becomes a perfect circle.

And there's no way that can be your minor axis if the plane of the ellipse is that blue box.
>>
>>2692930
Shouldn't the minor axis be perpenidcular to the surface on which ellipse will be placed? I'm not really sure how to find minor axis here.
>>
File: 1474820854656.jpg (234KB, 667x502px) Image search: [Google]
1474820854656.jpg
234KB, 667x502px
>>2692935
I think we are talking about two different things here.

There is the "axis," like the axis of a wheel, which passes through the central point of the ellipse and is perpendicular to its plane, and then there are the geometrical ones, like i showed in the pic.
>>
>>2692935
>>2692945
Also, If we are talking about that "wheel axis," there is no major or minor one, it's just an axis.
>>
>>2692945
The wheel axis shouldn't be the minor axis though?
>>
>>2692949
I don't know. I don't think so. Where did you learn that?
>>
my tablet drawing skills dont match my paper drawing skills. i just cant seem to be able to draw a straight line although i have pen pressure on. i have a mac and i draw on ps for which there is no stabilizer. its incredibly frustrating to know that ill spend 30 minutes drawing what id draw in 10 on paper. what do i do
>>
>>2692958
Scott Robertson book, and it's similar in perspective made easy i think.

It feels like ellipses are just guessing than any solid method.
>>
File: Untitled.png (175KB, 600x470px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
175KB, 600x470px
>>2692967
Oh well, idk. The name doesn't matter though.

Anyway, is your problem solved? Do you see how the axis is perpendicular to the center of the ellipse?

Yeah ellipses are a bit difficult. There actually are geometrical ways to construct them, but it is much faster to just draw them freehand.
>>
>>2692973
So is minor axis completely pointless in drawing ellipses? You just draw points in middle on square sides and freehand ellipse there?
>>
>>2692979
That perpendicular axis you call the "minor axis" is basically useless, unless for example you were drawing a car, where you would have both wheels aligned to the same axis.

What do the perspective books say? I'm actually a beginner and I have not read those yet, but I used to do technical drawing (perspective, projections, etc.) back in high school, so I know the basics.
>>
>>2692979
>>2692984
But basically yeah, I think you need to freehand it
>>
>>2692973
This isn't right. The minor axis should be roughly in line with that red dotted line going to the left vanishing point.
>>
>>2692989
I don't understand. Can you make a quick sketch or something?
>>
File: persp2.jpg (58KB, 526x357px) Image search: [Google]
persp2.jpg
58KB, 526x357px
Here is some other example. The vertical line should be perpendicular to surface and be minor axis.

But it doesn't seem like i can construct any ellipse with minor axis like that.
>>
Ok ... here i come.
Question 1: I have a wacom intuos with a6 workspace ... will upgrading to a5 make my work much more comfortable (a4 quite big ... so i dont consider it too much ... is it worth considering?)?
Question 2: I find that i aproach sketching in a very geometrical way ... sketching every edge and making it look almoust like technical drawing ... while other artists seem to put focus on other areas like light areas ... what should i write into google to learn about it? I cant seem to find it on my own (i lack the english vocabulary here)
>>
>>2692992
http://www.automotiveillustrations.com/tutorials/drawing-ellipse-in-perspective.html
>>
>>2692989
>>2692998
Are you retarded? Minor axis is the small axis of an ellipse, major axis is the big one.
>>
File: Untitled.png (96KB, 500x389px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
96KB, 500x389px
>>2692998
As I said before, that cannot be the minor axis.

http://www.mathopenref.com/ellipseaxes.html

Look at what axis are. The green one is the minor axis dude
>>
>>2693005
The reason people are having trouble is they are trying to fit an ellipse (representing a circle in perspective) into a shape that is NOT a square in the slightest, but a very stretched rectangle, so of course it looks odd.
>>
>>2693002
Ooooh, I see what the problem is.

This can only work if the plane of the ellipse vanishes to that vanishing point. In the first example you made, the vanishing point was the opposite one.

I don't know if I explained myself clearly enough.
>>
>>2693008
Do you even know what an axis is? It means it splits it symmetrically, which that green line doesn't. If you correct the red rectangle to be an actual square in perspective then an ellipse will fit in it properly with the minor axis being vertical.
>>
>>2693010
What about representing ellipse in perspective and fitting it into rectangles? Will this distort ellipse into some other shape then?
>>
File: Untitled.png (250KB, 1003x659px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
250KB, 1003x659px
>>2693013
I hope you understand what i mean from this image.

That red line cannot be an axis of that ellipse, because it is perpendicular to the plane of the ellipse.
>>
>>2693017
It does split it symmetrically. But you have to imagine that in perspective.

And you don't need that to be a square. An ellipse can also fit in a rectangle, not just in squares.
>>
>>2692964
If you want a straight line, stop dicking around and either use the shift+click command or the line tool. For clean lines in general that aren't necessarily straight but aren't wiggly pieces of shit, download HejStylus. Google it.
>>
>>2691341
what do I tell people that are constantly trying to get me to try to focus on selling work, when I know that I'm not ready. I mean without being a jerk about it. I'm so tired of people trying to distract me from my git gud with this oh there are people not as good as you selling their work bullshit. I don't care about them I'm not going to sign or sell anything until I say I'm ready! but my loved ones keep pressuring me and treat me like I'm failing when I tell them that I won't even think about it until I'm at a MUCH higher level.
>>
>>2692964
It means you can't draw a straight line in general. No one complains about these things because they realize they'll just keep working at it until it becomes straight. There's no other way.
>>
Major axis on an ellipse meets the minor at a real 90 degree angle not in the fucking perspective angle. Where the major and minor cross is also a real half way point on the box not the perspective center. Robertson making retards out of everyone.
>>2693013
What is shown here only works that way because its in 1pt perspective, not two pt like the art the anon posted before.
>>
File: 1474828340946.png (285KB, 1003x659px) Image search: [Google]
1474828340946.png
285KB, 1003x659px
>>2693326
pic related
>>
File: 1451253767005.jpg (1011KB, 2280x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1451253767005.jpg
1011KB, 2280x1600px
>>2691341
How do I get started with human body perspective and foreshortening, Is there any book about it?
>>
>>2693186
well, I guess as a fellow artist who is also very new to the whole business side of things:

are you being honest to yourself? Is your day literally 14 hours of drawing or is there a 30 minute wedge of time where you can look into the business aspect. Are you meeting people? Do you want to meet people? Do you know how important that is to selling work? Are you carrying your art on your person at all times when you do meet people? Do you understand why that is important?

Also, How good are you looking to get? Why are you so against deviating from your training regimen, if you have one at all? Do you understand that making money is how to be involved in society, and to be an artist that is involved in that way works and thinks in a totally different manner?
>>
>>2693492
why is the line work on anime often so good and nice to look at? I don't get it.
>>
Afros. Fucking how?
>>
>>2693561
They master line weight and contrast.
>>
>>2691341
having a LOT of trouble understanding how to use edges... any clear breakdown?
>>
>>2694481
Maybe this helps.
http://muddycolors.blogspot.de/2015/04/10-things-about-edges.html
>>
>>2693528
hmm you bring up a lot of points that I hadn't thought about,,,I want to sell realistic fine art paintings. my day is balanced between work , and art, but I have recently carved some of my time out so that I can exercise and eat right (which is helping a lot in general). I do want to meet people but I am not. I also don't have any of my work to show because all of my work is studies.(maybe that's an issue) I can forsee a time when I will have some creative work to sell, but I just cringe when I think about trying to sell anything. it seems fraudulent if I don't really believe that my work is salable. I guess I have some thinking to do...
>>
Are there entry level jobs for the film industry? Or is it basically, you become a junior concept artist, then a senior concept artist.
Can you go from environments or texturing to a concept position?

What's the ladder in this industry? Is there one?
Obviously you become manager eventually, and or anything else bigger...but then you're not doing as much artwork.

But where do you start position wise?
>>
How do you guys deal with stress while drawing? In my case whenever I draw anything all I can think about is how bad I am and how much better everyone else is and how there are tons of younger people who are miles ahead of me in skill and talent and then I give up for the day because I can't handle all those thoughts.
>>
File: thinking.jpg (8KB, 247x204px) Image search: [Google]
thinking.jpg
8KB, 247x204px
got to write my dissertation on erotica in art and cant use the web, anyone got PDFs of books on related subjects?
>>
I have a question. Why is /ic/ so dead lately???
>>
File: 135381475047.jpg (613KB, 1200x924px) Image search: [Google]
135381475047.jpg
613KB, 1200x924px
what's the source, and where can i get more of their stuff?
>>
>>2695288
That looks a bit like Ron Lemen to me. Maybe search up his stuff. Otherwise Michael Hampton or Kevin Chen are also similar.
>>
>>2695102
Summer is over.
>>
>>2695288
imagine FX How to draw anatomy if you buy it, it comes with a cool DVD!
>>
Can you faggots read a book and stop arguing about basic perspective shit every thread?
>>
How do I turn off tilt sensitivity on intuous Pros?

Google only shows me how to disable pressure sensitivity
>>
>>2695325
makes sens
>>
I feel like everything is gonna look like crap until I learn to draw digitally. Is this true?
>>
>>2695910
Nope.
>>
>>2695566
what's on the dvd? mostly i avoid videos because it's a slog to sit through the chaff.
>>
how do you deal with negativity and depression

just whenever I draw something, I think that it's ass instantly. I tried to practice but nothing helps

please no "get gud" trolling
>>
>>2696104
i don't
I thought about going to a psychiatrist with it, but my pride wont allow me go.
negativity with art is hard to overcome, you just gotta close your eyes and keep moving your legs until you reach the point where you can say that you are better than most of the people in the community that you post in. That realization helps a little
>>
crap, sorry for posting the pic, ignore it
>>
>>2696155
what was it ?
>>
is it pathetic to paint an imaginary girl?
>>
I really struggle with hatching drawings digitally even though I can generally get pretty clean hatch lines traditionally - is it just a fact of life with tablets (non-monitor ones) or is there a good approach for digital? Do I just need to zoom right in and spend forever on it?
>>
The way I draw is by sight measuring and I think it's really unreliable.

What is the best way to actually learn the art of drawing? I can draw but I don't think I know what it means to construct. I look at a photo reference and already I'm reducing it down to the lines that i'll put down on paper in my mind.
>>
>>2696356
for example, ill look at a photo and study it and usually the basic lineart will be really hit or miss. The proportions will be wonky, and I'll get too excited at getting it correct when the drawings not even done yet that ill just give up and go to the next photo ref, thinking i 'aced' it.

am i alone in this?
>>
>>2696356
>>2696361
scratch that, i dont think im sight measuring WELL. i just found some online tutorials and am gonna start taking this seriously.
>>
>>2691341
Is there a way to connect a Wacom Intuos to Android?

Any drivers or something? I have this tablet and it has a USB port on it... I finally bought a hub and I want to connect a keyboard, mouse and my graphic tablet.
>>
File: texture.png (77KB, 723x849px) Image search: [Google]
texture.png
77KB, 723x849px
Is there a reason why the texture isn't showing? I also tried downloading that block texture brush from ctrlpaint and couldn't get texture to show on that one brush either.
>>
>>2696422
I don't use ps but looks like the contrast is 0
>>
File: asdfasdf.png (785KB, 1000x952px) Image search: [Google]
asdfasdf.png
785KB, 1000x952px
Should I try looking for furry porn commissions?
Am I good enough? Or is it impossible to say with so few drawings?

I need some extra cash and it would be great to earn it while drawing.
The thing is, that I don't have much experience with figure drawing - I've spend last year drawing only still lifes, so I don't have much to show.
On the other hand I heard that even ridiculously bad artists can earn money by drawing porn - it it true?

If you think that I'm too shitty for this, then pls just redpill me. I don't want to spend months drawing furry porn portfolio and networking if nobody is going to commission me anyway.
>>
File: 123.png (73KB, 723x849px) Image search: [Google]
123.png
73KB, 723x849px
>>2696422
idk maybe this is the problem?
>>
>>2696436
If you can draw a good fur texture, you'll be among the best 1s in no time. For what you want, the only problem I see is the flatness of your drawings. Try better rendering.

You'll have big bux for sure if you stick to a specific fetish. Those niches are really small and have little to no competence. Otherwise, you'll have to whore your way to the higher positions. Post on a regular basis, it doesn't have to be daily, but be consistent.

As a last note: There's better ways. Srsly. I sell watercolors and portraits to my neighbors.
>>
>>2696104
>draw something, I think that it's ass instantly. I tried
recognizing your own work is ass sooner and sooner means your ability to use your eyes is developing faster than your drawing ability, and is normal.
quitting practicing the moment you notice your work is ass means you will stop practicing sooner and sooner. push through it.
>>
>>2696548
This, once you accept that you're ass because you are ass, then you suddenly improve much quicker since you aren't trying to appear as better than you really are.
>>
>>2696436
I started doing furry porn over a month ago (fat/bara/muscle/r34 type stuff). Ive gained 300 followers with 20 submissions and made over $250 since I opened commissions (current prices are $40 for a single 'painted' character with no bg, I will eventually be doubling prices over time as demand increases).

I don't like furry porn, it's eh to draw, but I have a pretty solid grasp of imaginative figure drawing and it's extremely easy for me to do. I still spend about 15 or 20 hours a week on it which is more time away from real art than I'd like but it's necessary.

If you're amateur with figure drawing or imaginative drawing and anatomy then I don't suggest it, it'll turn in to a waste of time and you'll hate it if you're not in to furry.
If you're decent and able to whip out complex poses and sexy stuff in a short time then go for it.
Look at justmegabenewell on FA, he makes bank on furry but that's because he is good drawing what they like and fast, he has a decent understanding of anatomy.

Tl;dr:
If you can work quickly and get something at least 75% good as JMGN then sure, try it out. If not then you might make a bit of money but it won't be worth the effort, just keep focusing on getting good and what you enjoy.
Or you could always do niche fetishes like diaper porn, scat etc. You'll get commissions no matter what then probably.

Also don't spend months on a portfolio for furry shit. Just draw something and post it, if people like it then keep posting.
>>
>>2696567
I hope you understand that only works in the short run and not the long run.
>>
How do you do cast shadows?
>>
How important is 3D to environmental art?
>>
File: page-031.png (2MB, 2650x3275px) Image search: [Google]
page-031.png
2MB, 2650x3275px
>>2696719
Scott Robertson How to Render pages 30-49
>>
File: page-033.png (2MB, 2650x3275px) Image search: [Google]
page-033.png
2MB, 2650x3275px
>>2696745
I should add: Robertson's approach is a purely technical approach. Most of the time, simply eyeballing cast shadows is fine I think.
>>
>>2696441
>>2696567
>>2696569
Thanks for those detailed responses! To be honest, I'm surprised that I found so helpful people here.

Anyway, I'll give this idea a try; see you later in a porn thread ;^)
>>
>>2696720
Very. 3D is standard for industry
>>
>>2696853
Man, at what kind of level? Does it have to be as good as professional 3D modelers too?
>>
Where can ı found any other selfpromote threads except /ic/
>>
How did you overcome the fear of setting up commissions for the first time?
>>
>>2697015
Just do it.
>>
Honestly I think everybody should be learning 3d at this point, it would be stupid not to. Considering the many potential directions the creative industry might go in the future; there is no scenario where it will become less important to know 3d than it is now, and there are many potential scenarios where it might become mandatory to know 3d. Don't get left behind, learn it now. It's not even that hard.
>>
>>2697093
It's already time consuming when we still have to work on the fundies.
>>
>>2697015
Fear? I felt excitement.
>>
>>2697143
3d requires less fundies desu

like, far less
>>
How much will drawing from photographs help me progess? I know drawing from still life is important, but will I make meaningful improvement in my art by drawing from lots of images as well?
>>
>>2697212
Anything can help a lot, but everything also has diminishing returns. In other words, do a little bit of everything. Also the difference between drawing from life and from photographs is not that significant.
>>
Ugh. Every time I come here, I feel like I need to start back at the basics, as if I've been learning the wrong way this whole time.

Anyways, my question is where to find a good 3D head model for studying the structure of the head? I've tried reading Loomis but I can't stick with that. I feel I've gathered enough to apply what I've learned some other way.
>>
>>2697212
Yes and no. The thing is, drawing from photos doesn't really push you to think in 3D at all, and that's the problem with them. You fall into copying 2D shapes very easily. If you aren't using photos specifically to look up reference for something you're having trouble with, just drawing stuff to draw, then they're fine for learning proportion and getting mileage, but you shouldn't get stuck with them if you aren't yet thinking in 3D.
>>
>>2697148
>>2697023
I feel terror

this is my life on the line
>>
>>2697256
planes of the head by john asaro is what I used to understand the head

Just draw every pose of the sculpture and it will stick to your brain
>>
File: tumblr_nqqcytaRCU1rwg7ino2_400.gif (2MB, 400x466px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nqqcytaRCU1rwg7ino2_400.gif
2MB, 400x466px
How do you find a good schedule of exercises that works for you?

I've read the sticky and everything but I still feel like there's so much stuff that I don't know where to start to get into animation.

All I'm really doing right now is doing a 3-hour figure drawing class twice a week but besides that I'm not really drawing at all. I'd say depression is a big factor as well but I still feel overwhelmed when I don't have an instructor telling me what to practice.

I guess what I want to know is: What does an artist need to learn to be able to start stylizing and exaggerating their drawings?

I want to be able to draw cartoons, especially like pic related!
>>
how do you keep track of sai brush settings? like I know how to install them but lets say I change a setting by mistake and forget what it was set to. Do you just take screenshots of your settings?
>>
>>2697371
That and I've also duplicated the brushes in sai.
>>
>>2697308
Much oblige, Anonymous.
>>
>>2697367
Well, I'm personally still trying to learn how to draw humans. What I've done is broken my study session down into three categories. The head, anatomy, and poses. And I do each category for two days. Once to freshen up, and twice to double down on what I've been studying. Repetition helps in learning. Then I switch to a different category to keep me interested.

It'd look something like this
>Sunday- Heads
>Monday- Heads
>Tuesday- Anatomy
>Wednesday- Anatomy
>Thursday- Poses
>Friday- Poses
>Saturday- A free day, just drawing for pleasure
I don't always get the days back to back, but I try to stick with the schedule
>>
What is with every one instagram using dotted grid notebooks? Do they help with proportions or are they just aesthetically pleasing for followers?
>>
>>2697679
Post an image
>>
I finally made enough money to buy a computer, but pre-built ones are shit so I need to build my own. I have no idea what kind of parts I need that will be optimized for animation or where to find out. If any of you are animators, what are your specs?
>>
>>2697716
google logical increments
>>
>>2697544
What resources do you use to learn how to draw each part of the body?

I've been looking at Bridgman's Anatomy.
>>
How do I get a girl that's basically a second mother? I want a girl that will love me and take care of me when I'm sick and such. Kek, I'm a hermit artist that draws and paints all day and I hate going out, but I'll venture out to any recommended places where I can find girls like I described. Please help. I'd say I'm a solid 6-7, 5'10, pretty /fit/.
>>
>>2696849
EXCEP we wont because mods say no furry lol
>>
What does the keep opacity box under the persistence box do in sai? I've looked everywhere and get different answers/nobody brings it up.
>>
>>2696383
Anyone pls?

Google and Bing bring me nothing.
>>
>>2697880
I've been using
A handbook of anatomy for art students by arthur thomson.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj4i73k4bfPAhWG7CYKHZScCHAQFggxMAM&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.forgottenbooks.com%2Fdownload_pdf%2FA_Handbook_of_Anatomy_for_Art_Students_1000692777.pdf&usg=AFQjCNERv4r0GW8wHaaVBE_ZYURcYkINGA&sig2=M2e4BnPsUWv0bz_6GGk1WA

What I'm still trying to do is find a good resource for heads that's simple and covers construction and multiple angles. For now, I've just been relying on loomis

http://www.alexhays.com/loomis/
>>
Big outing vaginas. I saw a thread about them here a month ago. There was a specific term. Something very similar to hypervagina, but not that. I can't even find a sample picture to attach here without knowing the term
>>
Anyone here have any experience taking actual amphetamine while being creatively productive? I've heard of way too many great artists and musicians who occasionally take some speed to not consider it myself at this point...
>>
>>2697939
Halp?
>>
>>2698294
>>2698294
i've tried it, and I'll never do it again. I used it for a week to finish a project for architecture school. The building came out, renders and all, but it was so tacky and boring. You just stop caring about the what-ifs on that stuff. Plus it fucked with my productivity without it for a long time as well as making my gums bleed. Also, you're not you on speed. So the work is less so yours. Believe this or not.
>>
>>2698963
this statement is true, i have a friend that has done them before and it really fucks with his head and he stopped doing it because it was just way too much and too intense and he started having panic attacks and stuff like that.
>>
File: 55476-2001-2ww-m.jpg (13KB, 300x183px) Image search: [Google]
55476-2001-2ww-m.jpg
13KB, 300x183px
what are these for? why would anyone learn to draw ellipses freehand if these exist?
>>
>>2691560
I'd like to know too, I assumed it was me all this time.
>>
>>2697979
Does NOBODY know?
>>
>>2699448
because you can't do all the sizes, they are limited.
Those things are just for... doing technical things, like maps, planes or whatever
>>
>>2699448
they are completely pointless
>>
File: ayyy.jpg (21KB, 600x330px) Image search: [Google]
ayyy.jpg
21KB, 600x330px
How can I stop symbol drawing arms and legs?

I know their anatomy, how they move, their proportions and draw them a lot but I still can't make them click. it pisses me off because I can't even draw cartoon shit because of this
>>
>>2699643
You should probably practice more gesture and figure before going into anatomy
>>
File: gYNsaJS.png (388KB, 802x577px) Image search: [Google]
gYNsaJS.png
388KB, 802x577px
what is the proper way to study?
I watch Vilppu and Huston, read Loomis, it all seems easy, like Im just copying it down. I start drawing from imagination and all of it seems to go out the window, like I'm just scribbling until it looks right.
>>
How can I learn the keys to drawing? I've always had trouble drawing on the right side of the brain. My main problem is I can't do any dynamic figure drawing. I just want to have fun with a pencil, /ic/.
>>
File: OK.png (19KB, 124x126px) Image search: [Google]
OK.png
19KB, 124x126px
>>2699937
>>
So there is that 16 years old girl on Twitter, she's been drawing not so seriously for 6 months now and she's already better than me

Why
>>
File: 1458166998528.jpg (41KB, 374x374px) Image search: [Google]
1458166998528.jpg
41KB, 374x374px
I am an ultra-mega-beginner. The last time I drew something was during Pictionary a few years ago, and it wasn't good. I have decided to start drawing hentai because it seems slightly more productive than watching TV. Slightly.

I skimmed the high notes of the beginner guide. My questions are: Should I start by tracing hentai drawings for a few weeks? My expectations of my end-game skill are low/realistic. And: I assume I should draw on paper for more than a month until I see if I would actually use a $100 computer tablet, even though they look really fun and I want one right now?
>>
>>2700077
art course at her school and not trying to do the impossible and not being too shy about hiding errors
>>
>>2700085
Read a few books about how manga is drawn first. Watch some lifestreams and recorded videos of hentai artists. There is enough material around and you will see just how much you have to learn and how you understand things wrong.

Digital is the way. If you went traditional you would spend at least $200-300 and you would have to put in huge amount of effort and time (what you don't want) to get inferior results out. Also, you would totally get frustrated with the art materials, if they don't outright become the reason for your failure.

And the materials to shade traditionally can't be bought anymore anyway. Shading with ink can't achieve the same effects so you would be stuck.

Also, don't do a hybrid traditional/digital approach, shit is a waste of time.

If you have problems with using tablets even after trying it for a few months, you will probably have to use a monitor with pen input instead. either way, don't get a too small tablet or monitor. But don't get a too big tablet either.

If you want to do traditional for starting out anyway or because you do it on the way, stick to a few cheap wooden pencils and maybe a blank book where you like the paper for drawing in, this way you can take notes and try things out. Stick to stuff from dollar stores and go full digital if you find yourself not getting useful materials from there anymore.

Don't enter an art store, they are pretty much set up to conn you out of money by misleading you and making your life miserable. If you end up loving tradtional art, buy your stuff like everyone online from office suppliers and amazon.
>>
>>2699937
Study what? Art?

You probably never did a basic drawing course for just doing lines and drawing objects you see. That is where you start.

Normal art education with the goal of becoming a professional is what you need to think through.
>>
File: k.jpg (59KB, 663x761px) Image search: [Google]
k.jpg
59KB, 663x761px
>>2691341
im kinda depressed how hard i find it to complete fully rendered completed pieces these days, all i do is screw around and do hundreds upon hundreds of stupid sketches like in pic related, i use to spend weeks/days on drawings (when i was worse at art that i already am now) but now i spend like 30 secs to 5 mins per drawing, would love anyones tips on how they deal with this situation? also not im extremely stuck on deciding my painting style, ugh i just need to grind fundos more i guess.....
>>
>>2700145
ty, I'll add a tablet to the to-buy list
>>
How do i shift from weebtool sai to PS?
The latter feels so stiff when it comes to drawing and/or painting, as if i'm scratching a chalkboard with a dried marker, but sai on the other hand isn't gonna power up miracles like PS.
>>
>>2700296
just continue using what youure comfy with
>>
File: Capture.jpg (135KB, 827x582px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
135KB, 827x582px
>>2691560
>>2699450
your brush settings look like this anon?
>>
>>2700160
Hey dude, I was and still am going through the same stuff. What helped me was to step away from the computer a little bit and just force myself to sit down and make one rendered piece with watercolour or ink. Just exercise and eat healthy to stave off depression, and take meds if you think you've got clinical depression.
>>
>>2700296
you're a slave to the weird ass paint blend function that sai has. once you really get into photoshop, you'll realize that the blending is a lot more predictable, and going back into drawing with sai will be like wearing fat socks on a tile floor.

if you only draw weeby 2d, you don't need to give a shit about PS. the lineart in sai is slick as fuck, and being able to render should be a nonexistent concern.
>>
>>2700464
> a slave to the weird ass paint blend function that sai has
Never thought of it that way, actually, though this explains me some issues.
Guess I'll have to do several drawings in PS anyway, hoping to get used to it. Setting up the brushes, though...
>>
File: 1466755573111.jpg (727KB, 1584x1323px) Image search: [Google]
1466755573111.jpg
727KB, 1584x1323px
How do I improve my design sense?
Are there any books that touch on this subject?
>>
Just bought a Pentel Pocket Brush Pen, will i ever have to clean it or some shit?
>>
Would it be dumb/impractical to just buy one grey copic marker online (C-3) to experiment with & just to have one on hand? If so, which should I buy if I want to spend under $20? I'm interested in buying one or a few but they're expensive.

Also, how necessary is a colorless blender pencil for use with colored pencils?
>>
>>2691341
I'm having a hard time understanding what is the point of quick sketch? speed is useless beauty is all that matters...
>>
How do I make a female pose LESS sexy? Is there any rule of thumb?
>>
>>2700451
Yes, it always has been. Do you see the stabilization bar? if you click the arrow, it says 0. But when you draw, it still has stabilization. Its absolutely bullshit. This is the ONLY thing wrong with manga studio.
>>
>>2700578
No, but I run some water in it every time I replace the cartridge. You don't have to clean it, but mine is a little old. Cartridges are refillable btw.

>>2700591
Buy C3 gray and if you want C5 gray.

>how necessary is a colorless blender pencil for use with colored pencils?

Not at all. You can dip the color tip in petroleum, tho.

>>2700704

You have to make beautiful drawings with confidence, speed and few strokes.

You should read Michael Hampton's Figure drawing.

>>2700789

Female pose? Idk. I can tell you about the figure itself.

>bigger head
>smaller neck
>thicker and lower waist
>lower breasts
>shorter limbs

Hold on. I just found this.

>In the “attractive” image on the left, the models represent their bodies with straight backs, pulled-back shoulders, and demure expressions – many of them stand posed in positions that reflect classical sculpture. In the “unattractive” image on the right, the bodies are turned and the models push out their stomachs, hunch their backs, and evoke expressions of indifference.

>http://beautifuldecay.com/2013/12/04/nude-bodies-transform-flattering-unflattering-slight-shift-pose-nsfw/
>>
>>2700821
>http://beautifuldecay.com/2013/12/04/nude-bodies-transform-flattering-unflattering-slight-shift-pose-nsfw/
I think I get it, I need to avoid controposto and straight backs. And also some positions of a head, but I'm not sure of what kind exactly. Those that continue the S-curve, maybe, hmm
>>
How clean should i be when i work in my sketch book. If i try to stay clean i end up taking hours to fill a single page, but if i do quicker sketches, i can do more, but my lines look horrid. Is it worth it to have messier work to iron out problems, or should i practice how i intend to draw, and keep my work clean and tidy?
>>
>>2700821
I get that. but It seems like you can train that better without a timer. just by focusing on that in your work. (BTW I'm not being at all cute or sarcastic. I've done a lot of it and I don't see any benefit)
>>
Where did I put my glasses? I can't find them.
>>
>>2700888
Nvm, I found them.
>>
Do people buy all their books or just pirate them?
>>
>>2700888
were they where you /always/ leave them? that's where mine usually are! lol!
>>
Alright I've seen a lot of talk about books and sites and I've been wondering, someone recommended to take lessons from Draw a box first and then read books should I do that? or should I skip straight to books?
>>
Am I crippling myself by choosing SAI over more technically advanced programs? After months in PSCC and Clip studio, I've started using it again and I'm finding basic work a hell of a lot easier (not using the stabilizer).
I'm also concerned about whether or not splitting work between two programs is as seamless as it sounds.
>>
>>2700996
You are not. It's just a tool, it hardly matters what you choose as long as you're good in the end.
>>
>>2700976
You should check out both and you might see why drawabox is helpful after that.
>>
>>2700904
Life isn't black and white, it's pretty gray.
>>
>>2701000

Yeah I started with books and kinda took a break and rn im doing the drawabox excercises
>>
What is the all around best brush for painting in Manga/clip studio paint?

For the life of me I cannot find any information on what brushes/settings are best for blending and such.
>>
File: tmp_16584-2f7.jpg.cf14875992.jpg (20KB, 473x399px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_16584-2f7.jpg.cf14875992.jpg
20KB, 473x399px
Anybody else get to the perspective chapter of the Huston book and completely fail to understand a single word?
>>
>>2691341
what makes a drawing, or painting, a finished piece? Is it more than just coloring and lining?
>>
Anyone remember that site with a list of different streamers?
>>
How do i use Photoshop without it feeling like cancer as a left handed person?
>>
i guess, what make a painting or a drawing completely achieve is when you have that feeling of an achieve artwork. You're the only one that can know when your work is end.
>>
Why do people uses chromatic aberration on their artwork?
>>
File: sophisticated.png (786KB, 567x727px) Image search: [Google]
sophisticated.png
786KB, 567x727px
>>2701892
Because they can and because it looks cool/interesting when you've barely seen it before.
Or I guess to make their image have a sort of technical/ sci-fi look to it easily. Or you know, to actually simulate the chromatic aberration of a camera, because that's the idea the image should give off.
It's a fad and extremely overused by now and I think a lot of people have already stopped using it hence.
Personally, I think if done really subtly, it can make your image look sharper, but you may as well use sharpen filter for that.
>>
I'm considering buying a huion h610pro to replace my small bamboo. Can anyone else recommend this tablet? Is there something better/cheaper I should be looking at?
>>
File: Control Magic - Terese Nielsen.jpg (212KB, 920x699px) Image search: [Google]
Control Magic - Terese Nielsen.jpg
212KB, 920x699px
>>2691341
1. What is better to use for drawing; Photoshop CS6 or SAI? I'm more familiar with SAI, but I've seen lots of artists use PSCS6 for their artwork so I'm kinda unsure on what to use. (I have both available). I am also struggling with which tools I want to use, and I still haven't found a pen/drawing tool which I find comfortable to use. Any suggestions here are appreciated.

2. How do I get better at drawing? I know this is the most basic and probably the most asked question ever within /ic/, but I have no idea where to start. I am currently reading the works of Loomis (Eye of the Painter to be precise), but I want to draw and practice as well as I am studying/gaining knowledge. I am really inspired by Terese Nielsen, Kuvshinov Ilya, Kentaro Miura, especially Terese. I haven't actually gone out looking for increadible pieces of art to be inspired by, so if you got some you want to share with me, then by all means please post them!
>>
>>2702264
1. It doesn't matter, pros use photoshop because it's reliable and won't crash.

2. Draw more. Simple as that. Draw animals, draw buildings, draw people. Draw everything.
>>
>>2702264
1. No clue about program.

For tool setup, this is drawing process specific and most books and tutorials give their setup in detail. You will learn multiple drawing processes and switch between them as needed.

For basic tools what worked for me where round brushes which change their size depending on pen pressure and B4 JIS 300dpi as image format. Also the color palette from manga studio. As presets, I use 3, 5, 15, 25px brushes and erasers and have also pressure insensitive 50 and 100px erasers.

But this is mostly for doodles and doing thumbs. I basically removed everything fancy here so I don't get annoyed or led astray by brush effects. No pencil texture, no ink, just lines. I have seen people also disable anti aliasing for their normal brushes.

I wouldn't bother doing anything more for basic tool setup if you even give a fuck here.

2. Can't help much here. Aside drawing, read a lot I guess. Also, basic drawing and painting courses where you draw something in front of you and the teacher will also teach you about tools if necessary. This shouldn't be drawing humans, you will probably start with training lines and simple geometric objects in front of you.
>>
Hi /ic/. So I had this idea to draw out many pictures of a story with themes in cyberpunk, vampires, and special ops/rebellions but it seems so much of a clusterfuck that I'm not sure it's a good idea at all to dedicate time too. Is there a way to turn this into a related story, or am I just piecing together too many ideas with no actual focus?
>>
>>2702264
1. photoshop
anyone who tells you to use sai is an idiot
use photoshop if you can

2. draw as much as you can every day
observe your surroundings, really try to learn to "see" things as they are. sounds kinda vague but you'll get it eventually buddy
also draw from nature when you get the chance. working with references is good, but the best thing is being able to draw from life. good luck in your endeavors
>>
Say I have a greyscale that's missing darkest and brighter values; it's mostly metal (gold)
Istinctively, I'm thinking it's better to go into color right now since metal has a wider range of colors to it in reflections and shit.

Is it a good idea?

(I have to start with greyscale first until my values stop being dog shit)
>>
I've read in a few other places that I should be using sketchbook/sai/manga studio for line art instead of photoshop. Why is this? The only reason I can think of is that photoshop doesn't have built in line smoothing, but I can just use lazy nezumi for that. Are there other reasons to not use photoshop for line art?
>>
File: 42367321.jpg (68KB, 634x584px) Image search: [Google]
42367321.jpg
68KB, 634x584px
>>2702266
>>2702379
>>2702568
Thanks lads, appreciate it
>>
>>2691424
I wish it could be controlled but don't get too hung up on it. you are a learner so your not going to be consistent.
>>
>>2691424
Concentration issues or inproper way of thinking when drawing. Drawing is a highly manual activity where you need to deal with lots of things at once. Miss one and everything goes wrong.

Also, art 90% is experimenting and finding out something looks like shit and iterating from the results. We show the good stuff and hide all the failed experiments.
>>
>>2691341
anyone use instagram to promote their art? how is it? pro? cons?

i think the obvious pro is the fact most people have phones
>>
MY PENCILS KEEP BREAKING INSIDE THE SHARPENER. SOMETIMES 3 OR 4 TIMES IN A ROW.

GOD IT'S SO ANNOYING HOW DO I MAKE IT STOP.
>>
>>2702683
Get a better sharpener or use a knife. Happened to me as well, had nothing to do with the pencils.
>>
>>2702683
Well if your pencil has the graphite bar broken, it'll continually break in seemingly random spots for the entirety of that one pencil.
Happens if you drop it, or if it was raped during shipping.
It's possible that it was fractured before and the sharpening action finally breaks it even if you go light, it's inevitable at that point.

If this happens to a fuckload of your pencils, and it's not the sharpener fault, order from some other place or some other brand, I don't know.
>>
>>2702673
Instagram is pretty hot with the consumers. Just make sure your stuff is mostly sfw.
Use hashtags to your advantage. Follow other artists, do the whole thingy.
>>
>>2700904
You pirate them if you cant afford them.
>>
>>2700996
If you want to use rugged brush strokes effect SAI will not give that. Manually texturing like that in SAI means doing a trillion small random strokes which is not skill based, just absolutely time consuming, and it'll still look worse than the brush setting in PS.

If you don't care about that texture effect, you can use SAI for 95% of the process, you may just touch the final image in PS with some color balance or blur or other features SAI misses entirely.
>>
How do you beat a prolonged art block? I have no inspiration and barely any passion.
>>
>>2702792
personally? i indulge in not drawing to the point where i absolutely want to draw again after some time

i find that when i keep myself in that "force myself to draw anything" limbo, i never want to draw so it's the lesser of the two evils
>>
>>2702792
I find that using product specific workflows and planning what I want to learn helps to keep things on track. This way I don't care about inspiration, I care about technique and understanding art better which makes me passionate.

And if the situation changes after a few weeks, I go back to the planning board what I want to do again. What went wrong, what went right, what was impossible.

Also, caring about technique and understanding art helps you not getting caught in the trap of being original, because that isn't your concern. Whatever pops in your mind for a topic is usable, independent from where you have seen it, because your goal is analysing and application. A generic cat girl with huge tits works as well as Darth Vader for this.
>>
How do I stop thinking? Second-guessing every line I make and pretty much questioning all of my life choices after every stroke, slows me down immensly. I'd really like to be able to just solely focus on my drawing for several hours at a time, without those negative, crippling doubts blocking the road constantly.
Please no "Think about how much time you lose by doubting yourself blah", all thoughts just make this worse, please, I want to know how to not think at all.
>>
>>2702839
That's just normal in beginners.
You think because you don't know.
With enough practice, you'll know more and you'll stop second guessing more and more things.
I hate to be that guy, but literally "just draw".
Take 10 hours to render a material block.
Just do it properly.
Next time it'll take 7.

That means you won. Don't focus on the first 10 hours attempt.
>>
>>2702839
Think constructive. If you don't solve the problems your brain floats around it will go into panic mode after some time and you will have a fine drawing block. If you see your life choices coming up, you are already in red territory. If you can't solve your shit, better take a step back instead of pressing it. And sometimes problems outside of art keep you from drawing for this very reason. Solve that stuff.

Also, go digital and just copy+paste your shit to make variations when you can't decide what looks better.

Other thing: your basic drawing skills may just suck. If you are worried about drawing a line, you may have never done proper training for that. If you lines always are off, your eye sight or hand is untrained. That's why beginning artists go to drawing sessions for beginners. No fundamentals will help you if you aren't trained to draw lines and measure with your eyes.
>>
>grorious feng zhu says to learn fundamentals rather than doing muscle memory
>can't learn fundamentals without doing muscle memory

why thou hast forsaken me my lord
>>
File: practicing lines.png (192KB, 726x544px) Image search: [Google]
practicing lines.png
192KB, 726x544px
>>2702842
>That's just normal in beginners.
>beginners
T-thanks senpai. I guess I still am, after years of dicking around...

>>2702845
>problems outside of art keep you from drawing
I feel like I need to solve drawing to solve other life stuff but vice versa.
>Also, go digital and just copy+paste your shit
I already do that quite a bit, it does help a lot. My layers multiply real fast, no pun intended.
>your basic drawing skills may just suck
I like to think they are solid, though I keep putting Scotties book down.

Welp, thanks guys, but I guess I am looking more for something like a meditation routine or anything along those lines. Something that helps your mind stop wandering and lets you focus on the task at hand and only that.
>>
>>2702877
learning fundamentals is not training them, you need them for the second
>when inexact use of words is doing you in
But nothing stops you to do both at once.

It's also not muscle memory. It's not reflexive like walking. Like in sports you use a lot of conscious thought to move your muscles optimally. Actually, you should also learn that for normal movement, most physical problems people have come from thinking they can leave it to nature.
>>
>>2702896

I think I understand, thanks
>>
>>2702877
>can't learn fundamentals without doing muscle memory
Not sure what you consider fundamentals, but perspective eg is about understanding of constructing things in 2d to make them look like they sit in space, that's not about muscle memory at all.
Anatomy too, knowing where the landmarks are , how joints move and where muscles attach is something that can be applied to any pose.

The difference is having something applicable, that is based on understanding or something that you basically just copy from an image in your mind, stuck in that exact angle etc.

That being said, I'd say it doesn't hurt at all to know the basic primitive shapes from every angle by memory.
>>
>>2702839
I see myself in this, or should i say my "old" self.
This is anxiety in some form, or at least related to it. Therapy, meds or self-help will do the trick. Many people with ADHD also experience this.
>>
>>2691341
>/QTDDTOA/
wtf is this OP, questions that don't deserve their own answers?
>>
can anyone point me in the direction of some god-tier youtubers?

I'm trying to find some less talked about gems like shilinTV and Apterus. pros who don't really promote their youtube channels.

>inb4 sycra
>>
>>2702916
op here. OOPS.
>>
>>2702925
Mural Joe

Not god tier by any means, more like a practical guy who explains a lot of theory about why light reflects certain things in the way it does etc while he does demonstrations, also sometimes does more peculiar things like a complete underwater scene and explains the colors and distortions there
>>
>>2702925

if you are into weebs look for Newey02 at youtube

I like sinix, don't know why ic shits on him so much

Ahmed Aldoori and CG cookie are more less the same,

noah bradley is less than active but pretty good
>>
>>2702893
>whining about us thinking you are a beginner with your nondescriptive post
k

Senpai, you may be, unconfirmed, good at drawing, but you are a beginner at life.

/snark

Robertsons book isn't basic drawing skills, lol. The 2 pages doesn't cut it. The books are pretty mediocre and may work for people who are advanced, because they can pick and choose. I still find them mediocre even then.
>>
>>2699448
Those are for making blueprints and such. My dad had those for when he had to draw blueprints by hand, but literally no one does that anymore, AutoCAD exists.
>>
>>2702979
What's the difference between AutoCAD and other 3D things like Maya, Zbrush or a Sketchup?
>>
>>2702946
>whining
The "I guess I still am" was meant to come off as stoic and slightly saddened, not sarcastic.

What do you consider basic drawing skills?
>>
>>2702983
I only know about the 2D side of AutoCAD , can't help you with that.
>>
>>2702987
>What do you consider basic drawing skills?
Basic drawing from life using the sight-size method. Measuring angles and ratios with your eyes. And there are much more strict drawing exercises for line drawing to train accuracy.

There was another skills related to drawing shades.

Then you can argue that recognizing local color matters, but I didn't try drawing from life with picking colors.
>>
>>2703016
I see, so observational drawing skills.
But how is "How to Draw" mediocre and do you know of a better perspective/construction book that'd makes it obsolete? I also have the Marshall Vandruff videos.
I think it covers basic skills for constructive/imaginative drawing, no? Though on the later pages it does seem a bit more... particular.
>>
IS IS TRUE THAT /IC/ IS KAPUT?

WHERE TO GO NOW?
>>
anyone have a scan for how to draw oppai?
>>
File: 1280.jpg (160KB, 1027x640px) Image search: [Google]
1280.jpg
160KB, 1027x640px
>>2703088
plz respond
>>
>>2703088
Time to go into the real world anon.
>>
>>2703088
>>2703193
home
>>
Does /ic/ have recommendations on good inks? Is pic related good?
What about sepia inks?

Additionally, any suggestions in regards to dip pens? I like my fountain pen and want to give a dip pen a go.
>>
File: Screenshot_10.png (437KB, 540x526px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_10.png
437KB, 540x526px
>>2703742

Forgot pic
>>
What's the best color profile in PS for painting, generally? What about Dpi and all that?
>>
Where do I go to learn color fundies. Links in the sticky don't really help because its really vague and only send you to painting techniques
>>
>>2703809
Noah's Art Camp is pretty good. Episode 1 tells you how to learn color. It's pretty much, just color pick and then learn how to get it by eye. Also copy off other artists.
>>
>>2703799
if you need to ask, stick to sRGB.

both color space and dpi are irrelevant unless you are personally doing the whole printing process, and in such case you'd already know what to use.
>>
>>2703742
Dr ph martin's is my favorite ink so far, and as for pens, I really like the tachikawa model 40 pen holder with the kuretake g nib or maru nib
>>
How difficult is it to transition from digital to traditional materials like gouache, oil, and charcoal?
>>
>>2703053
It is maybe an average book about theoretical perspective, but it doesn't teach you how to draw. Except maybe for the use of a freehand ellipsis for rotating squares it had nothing special in it pertaining perspective. It certainly doesn't obsolete anything and it is more of a beginner magnet because it promises you that you will learn to draw like the dude, has nice drawings in it and is printed on glossy paper.

But it is completely overpriced compared to all the Dover publications about perspective, the thing it is actually good for.

As for perspective books and resources, there is a lot floating around on the internet to look at. I am not giving recommendations. Age doesn't matter much here either except for unusual perspectives, because people didn't fly much in the past. The only thing I would recommend is looking at multiple books as there is no perfect catch all book.

I have no clue about the videos.

But it isn't like I doubt your drawing skills or give a shit, I was annoyed by your reply.
>>
>>2704294
Learning from multiple sources, got it.
Thanks for taking the time anon.
>>
File: 9505672_f260.jpg (12KB, 260x416px) Image search: [Google]
9505672_f260.jpg
12KB, 260x416px
Who did this & are they gud now?
>>
Today I painted for the first time traditionally. Just a small shit on a notepad back's cardboard just to test the brushes and colors and pressure.

I noticed I have difficulties when making thin but hard strokes. The problem is, to make the strong stroke I need to push and if I push the brush bends and all the hair gets in contact, creating a thick stroke. If I load more paint it may be too popping for a thin line, say if it's for giving texture.

Are there any other tools for it, or was it the issue with the surface requiring too much pressure for paint to stick in the first place (note I first added a diluted base paint so it's paint on paint)?
>>
>it took me 1hr 30m to draw 4 complete half assed drawings
Is this a good or bad thing for drawing/improving?
>>
>>2704349
I don't think anyone knows. Chances are they have quit art by now though, that's just how the numbers work out.
>>
>>2705115
Better to spend that time on one drawing and not half ass it.
>>
These are different buying options for a 24 pack of prismacolor colored pencils on amazon... Why are these so cheap? Are they legit?
>>
>>2705357
Amazon is weird like that, don't ask. They don't check.
>>
how do i start studying painting?
just copy pictures without color picking? or do i start doing grayscale painting first to get a feel for light and then start copying/studying other color paintings?

also, how do get fast clean drawings, my drawings seem to look like shit if i try to do them quickly, i ant to produce more content.
>>
Can someone explain to me what "symbol drawing" is?
>>
>>2705357
pricing on amazon is all kinds of weird, this isn't really unusual

I bought a book for like $5 that was listed for $140+ multiple times elsewhere on amazon. sometimes those low prices might be a ruse but sometimes they aren't since I have bought things from amazon very cheaply. who knows man.
>>
>>2705390
>okay lets sit down and get drawing
>hmm where to start
>ok i guess i will start with the FACE
>got the SILHOUETTE down now lets take on the FEATURES
>the EYES
>the NOSE
>the MOUTH
>ok, face is 'done'
>time to draw the REST of the BODY

^and so on and so forth. shaming symbol drawing means to extinguish this kind of thinking, or more accurately, this form of 'attacking' the task of drawing.
>>
File: 1474085273103.png (193KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1474085273103.png
193KB, 400x400px
>>2705396
Alright

Could you perhaps tell me how I should do it then? I usually start a sketch with a pose I like, then a stickman (the skeleton) indicating where the body parts are, and how the proportions are going to look. Then I just slowly sketch down details everywhere, before I begin the line art. [spoiler]Sorry if I explained myself badly. It's 07:30 here, and I haven't slept in like 20 hours or so. Also, English isn't my first language[/spoiler]
>>
>>2705403
Seems like spoilers aren't working on /ic/.
My bad.
>>
>>2705390
"symbol drawing" it's a meme. it means nothing.

the expression was coined by some wacko chick in a pseudo science "book" aimed to con beginners. it seems like she wasn't much into stylization or something.
>>
File: flags 2.png (125KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
flags 2.png
125KB, 1000x1000px
Im doodling some flags for some factions in a thing im working on. One faction is the Antarctic Reich, a secret society formed by nazis that fled berlin after ww2. What colors, symbols should i use? im quite puzzled really.pic related is the others, what do you think lads?
>>
How do the more experienced anons here deal with the explosion of unaligned objects when sketching? I tried to draw a head in a certain orientation and I ended up having to deal slight, but important 3 rotations. The easy way would be to use a photo ref, some real cubes as reference or bullshit my way through, but this feels unsatisfying.
>>
>>2705937
> explosion of unaligned objects when sketching
>I ended up having to deal slight, but important 3 rotations
I don't know if it's just me, but damn, I have no idea what you are trying to say here.
>>
>>2705410
Same is for "go back to your loomis homeworks" I guess.

Still they are pretty good books.
>>
>>2705944
unaligned to the VPs/rest of the world.
>>
>>2705944
and
>I ended up having to deal with 3 slight, but important rotations (of the head)
>>
>>2705404
>>2705403
Read the sticky, as well as the other sticky.

The idea is that there are many many many ways to approach capturign the subject. You can focus on light and shadow purely. Forms and shapes. Negative space vs positive space. Ok maybe not that many. But you get the idea, its to pretty much distance yourself from the 'identity' of your subject; that which you are drawing. This is why in the sticky, one of the first exercises is copying that drawing upside down.
>>
>>2705944
I realize I totally fucked up this question, so here goes again:
- draw freehand in your usual 3 point perspective/linear projection
- now try to add a cube that is rotated in 3 different ways so that no VPs match anymore

How to deal with these kinds of cubes aside using refs or bullshitting?
>>
Right now I'm working on a 3D project for school, making an interpretation of a literary character. Now I'm past halfway through my delivery deadline and I have constantly been struggling with my design. I did more drawings than anyone in class exploring my idea and now that I'm actually making everything I completely lose confidence in my design and I just want to start from scratch and rework every idea. Question is, how do I keep myself working on what I already have without making constant changes because I just can't be satisfied with what I made? It doesn't help that I never touched Zbrush before this project and everything just feels clunky and awkward.
>>
File: 574744436534.png (71KB, 275x379px) Image search: [Google]
574744436534.png
71KB, 275x379px
I'm starting to learn the basics of how to draw simple arms bending and overlapping, and I'm wondering how this fold in the arm works and when I should include it.

Any help?
>>
>>2706110
If you want yourself to keep from working on what you have, make the newer design on the side on paper or whatever you used and exclusively work on the old design in zbrush. Also, maybe you can use zbrush to put on different things like clothes in layers or something, if that is your problem.

I have no clue about design, but I had a similar problem when drawing, where I ended up never finishing because I always ended redrawing everything because it didn't feel all right and there was so much better shit out there.

But I got over it after I made it a rule for myself to always put 2 characters or more into a drawing. That overcame the flood of options and I avoided getting sucked into chasing some impossible perfect design and instead concentrated on concrete situations and on bigger pictures.
>>
Reposting from beginner's thread

How do people set up their tablet for their screen? I have an intuos3 and it's a 4:3 aspect, so I feel like I should map it to a 4:3 aspect on my screen. My main screen, however, is 16:9. So do I just pick part of the screen to map to, or do I do the whole thing and deal with the variation in horizontal vs. vertical drawing? I would think the latter but I'm open to suggestions.

Also, I have two monitors to consider. One is 1440p but is TN, and the other is 1080p but is IPS. Which should I use for drawing on?
>>
>>2706250
Use your own arm for reference. When does the clear delineation occur? Usually have to press your forearm right the fuck up.

That "fold" on the picture included is just an abstraction of the forearm proper, so the chances are they'd include it whenever.
>>
>>2706438
Limit the intuos active area to 16:9, your intuos is probably asshuge anyway.

As for monitor, I would go with the IPS one simply for no annoying color artifact. TN color problems are annoying. 1080 vs 1440 doesn't matter much when you draw on it, the physical dimensions are more important. So the IPS shouldn't be tiny.
>>
>>2706440
Thanks for your advice! Now I need to find out how arms joining up with hands work.
>>
File: sai_2016-10-07_13-21-19.png (930KB, 1610x957px) Image search: [Google]
sai_2016-10-07_13-21-19.png
930KB, 1610x957px
I'm having trouble studying complex forms/subjects and recreating it into a different pose. Everytime I attempt to break it down to simple shapes and joints, I either get lost on what to do or can't figure out why isn't it matching up at all to the actual subject. Could anyone give me ideas on what I should try different?

Pic related, it's my attempt from drawing something from FFXIV.
>>
File: 1200.jpg (129KB, 1200x711px) Image search: [Google]
1200.jpg
129KB, 1200x711px
So I'm about to try somethign new

this is me:
>want to get work done
>be lazy adhd piece of millennial ass fucking shit
>nothing gets done
>get upset

Now:
>realize I dont like myself when Im like that
>lie to myself that I love working and just force myself to work
>???
>become happy

Sounds good?
>>
For watercolors

Scanner or photography?
>>
File: 1471383072174.jpg (13KB, 336x349px) Image search: [Google]
1471383072174.jpg
13KB, 336x349px
I want to learn how to draw the human body, but im not sure where i should start, I've been bouncing between gesture, anatomy, and construction,which ones more important for a beginner? or am i going about this all wrong?
>>
File: 1475865714999.jpg (84KB, 500x332px) Image search: [Google]
1475865714999.jpg
84KB, 500x332px
>>2691341
Anyone recognizes the original painting of the thing in the background?
the artist alone would do
>>
File: 1.jpg (40KB, 367x499px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
40KB, 367x499px
>>2707074
And basic anatomy course at least to get the grip of the bones and muscles.
>>
>>2706994
have you done anything in 3D programs?
Thats literally basic human structure with piles and piles of bs on top of it
>>
>>2707149
But how you make the piles of bs look like piles of bs and not look inaccurate
>>
How to make your drawings have more depth.
>>
I've seen a few posts about patreon donations on /ic/ and it seems like some people are able to make a living out of drawing porn or other shit. Is this an extreme minority of people or is it possible for most good artists to make some sort of livable salary out of patreon?
>>
>>2707563
It's possible depending on how much you want to live on. People like Sakimi are an extreme minority, definitely though.
>>
>>2707074
There is no simple way because it is such a big topic with lots of different applications and lots of skills you could or could not have.

Basically, it depends more on your own skills and goals.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RRmDJ6lCcQ
This is a Dave Rapoza's video "disclaimer" where he talks about improving in art, but I don't quite get the final points, can someone that gets it summarize and explain ? I would like to write them down but I have to fully understand them (not native English so maybe it's cuz of that)
>>
File: Ny8XTAc.png (516KB, 1200x908px) Image search: [Google]
Ny8XTAc.png
516KB, 1200x908px
Okay before this thread dies...

I've been learning about the importance of notan in paintings for, generally, everything. But what I'm struggling with is how do I transition from here into an actual painting process?

How do I start actually representing these graphic shapes as actual things?

Pic related is NOT me, just an example.
>>
>>2708119
Notan is a concept in composition, it's not a way to paint. You still need to learn to paint.

But in most processes you can apply Notan pretty early in the thumb stage or the construction stage or blocking stage.

But once you go to colors you have more ways to compose again.
>>
When using references is it a bad thing to do if I make a picture using the same pose at the same angle not 1/1 but with some changes?
>>
>>2705403
E-eden radio?
>>
Okay, I want an opinion
>Want to git gud at drawing
>Dark souls fan, want to play so much Dark Souls 3
>Pcmasterrace
Will it be worth to buy a (budget) gaming pc so I can play maybe in the weekend, and the other time exercising in drawing ?
>>
>>2708793
Sure.

For graphic programs, you need a middle class CPU, a shit ton of RAM (16GB+) and an SSD with enough free storage for all the temporary data your software will store there (64GB+ free storage, more for saving your results).
>>
>>2708854
>>2708854
>>2708854
>>2708854
new one
>>
>>2708844
Ok, maybe I will put more money on that
>>
Photoshop closed on its own and gave me an error that said something about an unrecoverable error because of something with the scratch disk. What is it and how worried should I be?
>>
i want to get in in digital and i believe that i need beter hardware than mine graphic table, however a cintiq is too much for me
My question is, is galaxy note 10 a good buy to draw or is just a well advertised product and its worth shit for drawing?
>>
>>2709993
Never looked at it before, but nope. the hardware is way too underpowered and its Android. Maybe you are lucky and can draw oekakis on it. Also, the display is way too small.

Get another graphic tablet or a monitor with pen support which isn't cintiq if you want to keep it cheap and useful. Or pay more for a convertible/windows surface or cintiq.
>>
>>2710056
shame, really though it was good
any advise for the surfaces?
and thanks
Thread posts: 320
Thread images: 59

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.