[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/QTDDTOA/

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 309
Thread images: 64

File: 1473871925999.jpg (67KB, 500x543px) Image search: [Google]
1473871925999.jpg
67KB, 500x543px
old one >>2691341
>>
Does this question deserve its own thread?
>>
is ''not gonna make it'' the new mascot of ic?
>>
>>2708857
yes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAHlq0WPR0Q
>>
I'm having massive issues creating greys with the charcoal sticks (from general pencil, if it matters)

No matter how much I flatten/round the surface, the stroke is not uniform and if I use my finger to soften it, the main darkest stroke will never go away. People say charcoal can move completely from the surface, but that just isn't the case for me.
Infact, even erasing with a hard eraser, the main stroke will not completely go away.
I don't push hard at all. Even when the darkest is light grey, they cannot be deleted.

I don't know how to create medium tones over a decent area. I see people in videos just hatch lightly then swoosh their finger and it creates uniform grey; when I do it, the original marks will remain no matter what.
It's like, the charcoal spreads 10% as much as it should according to the videos. Even if I keep going with my finger over it 30 times as hard as I can without breaking the paper, the original marks remain visible from 10 feet.

A similar thing happens with the soft and medium charcoal pencils, only hard ones seem to make it uniform enough.

Is paper quality the reason? It cannot be my pressure intensity at this point, I refuse to believe it.

Materials:
https://www.amazon.com/General-Pencil-Charcoal-Kit-12-Piece/dp/B000AMPCNS
>>
>>2708862
fucking kek
>>
>>2708869
Does it really work? Or maybe it just works with oily ones on rough paper or something. I am watching Watts right now and he doesn't seem to smudge like that. He uses them like bigger and darker pencil. He even puts his hand on the paper without giving a fuck about rubbing things off.
>>
>>2708869
also, your technique seems wrong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FEKpeEdCrE
>>
>>2708869
Buy a pad of newsprint. You should be able to get a uniform tone without smudging. Your compressed charcoal will not lift off as easily as vine or willow charcoal, so I imagine that's part of the problem.
>>
How long does it take to go from being an absolute beginner with Loomis to being able to impress normies with drawings?
>>
File: 1473545037272.jpg (142KB, 726x1113px) Image search: [Google]
1473545037272.jpg
142KB, 726x1113px
Any resources for fashion/outfits?

Where can i learn about all sorts of different clothing types?

Pic related is a knight but really I need to learn all types of clothing.
>>
>>2708912
It's a huge area and I know no place that covers them all.

Otherwise dover reprints, reference books for manga, fashion magazines and books, fashion design books, wikipedia, /fa/ sticky.
>>
>>2708912

Can't think of a specific place, but lots of fashion junkies seem to make use of pinterest pretty often, and you can probably find a share of fashion themed tumblrs and stuff too.
>>
>>2708912
There's a C. Grafton book about armor. It's a big collection of images. I'll post link as soon as I get on my PC.
>>
>>2708912
cgpeers
fashion blogs
watch Rick's interviews
>>
what the fuck does QTDDTOA stand for?
>>
>>2708976
questions that don't deserve their own answers
>>
>>2708989
shouldn't be their ''own threads''?
>>
>>2709020

It should but none of your guys questions deserve answering thus why they are contained ITT from the rest of the board complementing it with not gonna make it chan.
>>
anyone have any pdfs, or book recommendations on erotica in art?
>>
File: mzl.eukhbpip.jpg (319KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
mzl.eukhbpip.jpg
319KB, 512x512px
Will drawing cutie girls help me obtain real qt girls?
>>
>>2709075
Just like drawing money gives you real money.

No it doesn't faggot.

Symbol drawing Loomis and whatevs.
>>
>>2709084
>when you literally draw Loomis and get flocked by qt girls
>>
Is there any good place where i can learn about rendering techniques for digital painting.

the most usefull thing i did find was ctrl paint ... but he keeps most of the good stuff for those who pay
>>
>>2709084
is that so? why did a qt girl said my painting of a qt girl looked good then? You know what helped me? Loomis brah, loomis is the brah. I'm gonna make it and you're not.
>>
>>2709121
"Oh anon, your drawings are so good! Can you draw me and my boyfriend together?"
>>
File: 1469503868711.gif (3MB, 320x256px) Image search: [Google]
1469503868711.gif
3MB, 320x256px
>>2709121
>somebody took time out of their day to make that image
>somebody actually saved it for future use
>>
What are the best places to get some commissions? Sfw and lewd stuff are both fine
>>
File: you're not gonna make it.jpg (301KB, 1280x952px) Image search: [Google]
you're not gonna make it.jpg
301KB, 1280x952px
>>2709126
It is a painting from a live model. Said she was qt, never said I was trying to get at her tard. There's only 1 qt in my life ;). I don't easily succumb to whores.

>>2709128
Same goes for your gif... shit bait.
>>
File: loomis question.png (163KB, 1000x538px) Image search: [Google]
loomis question.png
163KB, 1000x538px
I've started with Loomis and have a question already. Is there a way of making sure that the eye line, ear line and middle line are all drawn correctly in relation to each other?

I did a quick mockup example in pic related. Two ear lines drawn, how can I check which is more correct?
>>
>>2709131
My gif is just a gif, your image somebody actually had to open up, use 3 different text entires, change the color twice, crop and blur. Now you're posting things no doubt from some sad little folder of girls who would never speak to you.
>>
File: tumblr_inline_n8ucmlQDR21rdqajh.png (25KB, 360x361px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_n8ucmlQDR21rdqajh.png
25KB, 360x361px
>>2709131
At least try, 0/10
>>
File: Brah.jpg (28KB, 502x799px) Image search: [Google]
Brah.jpg
28KB, 502x799px
>>2709135
lol what. Making the picture I posted as way faster to make than to make a gif. why you mad though lol? I probably wouldn't speak to these girls cause they aren't my type. I think they are cute, but I definitely wouldn't get at them. I'm out, time to go back to art. While I'm getting better and gradually making it, you're here trying to act like some keyboard warrior. I'd kick your ass any day brah.
>>
>>2709139
>everything on 4chan is bait
>>
>>2709133
Do lots of practice drawing basic shapes like spheres, cubes and cones. If you do it and it doesn't seem right, scrap it and try again.
>>
I live in a shit country and I need to make $60 a month to survive but I have absolutely no online presence

what can I do to achieve my goal?
>>
>>2709160
Prostitution.
>>
>>2709157
So it's just a case of eyeballing it and seeing if it I think it's right? OK I'll do that.
>>
How do you create a character ?
I can draw all parts of a character but the head (eyes, nose, mouth, ears, hair).
How do you shit faces like a face factory ?
>>
Good way to improve anatomy? I feel like reading books about it doesn't do shit, if I keep drawing people will I improve or there is something more?
>>
>>2709277
Vary the type of features and facial structure and proportions. There's no real secret involved, it is very simple but requires experience to actually make it look good.
>>
>>2709277
Build on basic shapes and focus on a particular look you want to give a character. Fill in details as you see fit.

>>2709281
Learning anatomy through brute force can be difficult and boring. It's the fastest way to learn, but it's not the only way to learn.
You can just learn through trial and error. Slowly build on your knowledge of anatomy as you draw and apply your knowledge when you draw from reference. As long as you use references when necessary and try for accuracy, you will improve.
>>
>>2709277
You can steal faces from real life, i use celebrities from old holywood and character actors.
I guess characters need to convey a certain look, when you look at them, like if you were to draw a nerdy looking guy, you would think, Steve Buscemi or something.

Are the characters good looking, are they average, are they ugly, are they fat, skinny, young, old, black, white, male, female

Think of an emotion, if you were drawing an heroic figure, they would have a strong jaw, or broad shoulders, be tall, etc

You can also mess around with that, dont be cliche, make the hero a scrawny twerp
>>
Is there any huge reason to draw at really high resolutions if you're gonna downscale them anyway?. I've been drawing at 8.5x11inch 300dpi for the longest time, and usually have problems half the time, probably due to how much you have to zoom in, and how much you're zoomed out.

Now I'm trying half of that, so 150dpi, and it feels a bit easier.
>>
>>2709349
DPI only changes the print quality, not the file quality itself.

If you're thinking about printing your work, then having at least 72 dpi is a must have (300 would be high quality print).

If you just want your work to be digital, you could work 1 dpi and it still would be a high quality file, just smaller (In term of file size, not canvas size).

Altough, if you're using software such as photoshop and think you'll be using the text tool, you'll need at least 72 dpi or else, you won't be able to re-size your text higher than 18 px.
>>
Photoshop closed on its own and gave me an error that said something about an unrecoverable error because of something with the scratch disk. What is it and how worried should I be?

And on a more computer related issue, I previously had 118 GB of HD space and when I woke up, I have 80 GB. What the hell is going on?
>>
>>2708862
WEUWEUWEUW
>>
What exercises can I do to improve proportions or compositions?
>>
Here's a question that does not deserve its own thread : what the fuck does the A stand for ? It's usually spelled QTDDTOT.
>>
>>2709559
Oh wait, just found out that this was already asked before, never mind my autism. This begs the question though, why don't you fucks stop being hipsters and make it a QTDDTOT ?
>>
>>2709568
cause op is a retard
>>
>>2709317
>You can steal faces from real life
You can?

>tfw stealing a face from photograph is wrong but from real life isn't
>tfw it's the same shit
>>
>>2709096
Schoolism. But you must pay.
>>
>>2709096
ctrl paint is cheap, just get it.
>>
How much should I charge for commissions?

Is there any resource or chart I can refer to? I want to know what $600 for a commission looks like, regardless of fame.
>>
Anyone else start crying while drawing?
>>
I commissioned a piece of lineart that I want colored, and I want it colored.
Where would be an appropriate place to ask to get lineart colored?
There's potentially money in it.
>>
>>2709767
no, just you
>>
File: 1465289285873.jpg (120KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1465289285873.jpg
120KB, 960x960px
>>2709681
>>
File: 18komylz5u94kjpg.jpg (146KB, 800x639px) Image search: [Google]
18komylz5u94kjpg.jpg
146KB, 800x639px
>>2709636
if it's from real people it's a "homage" of sorts
>>
File: GAGHB.png (502KB, 860x5168px) Image search: [Google]
GAGHB.png
502KB, 860x5168px
>>2709999
>>2709681

Is this accurate, considering it's two years old? Or does it need any rate adjustments?

>Illust hourly rate
>Amateur to entry level ...... $15-30

Seems fine to me.
>>
Are there exercises I can grind to master fundamentals? How do I practice Form and Perspective, specifically?

inb4 sticky. The sticky does not go in depth on how to study the fundamentals. It just says you should learn them, or maybe redirects you to a book that doesn't really talk about the fundamentals, either. I'd love to actually take some of the critique I get and study the fundamentals like I've been told, but everywhere I go to fails to fucking go into any level of depth as to what I'm actually supposed to be studying. I get the impression there's really no "approved" method of studying the so-called "fundamentals" and "study the fundamentals" is shorthand for "draw more".
>>
>>2710155
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/9063692897/ref=pd_cp_14_2?ie=UTF8&pd_rd_i=9063692897&pd_rd_r=4DQGBV43N1YW5TRZH5A4&pd_rd_w=KRlm5&pd_rd_wg=KejIU&psc=1&refRID=4DQGBV43N1YW5TRZH5A4

don't buy the book, just "look inside" and construct the forms described on pg. 16 - 19 from various views from your head.
>>
>>2709999
Who was the "Stop Whining" directed at originally?
>>
File: image.png (57KB, 128x445px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
57KB, 128x445px
What does /ic/ think of this drawing?
>>
File: honk honk cat.jpg (120KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
honk honk cat.jpg
120KB, 1920x1080px
>>2710496
It's a cute Touhou drawing by ZUN, her name is Chen and she goes Honk Honk!
>>
File: chemo.jpg (33KB, 493x335px) Image search: [Google]
chemo.jpg
33KB, 493x335px
>>2710506
>>2710496
>>
File: heh.png (127KB, 432x468px) Image search: [Google]
heh.png
127KB, 432x468px
>>2708854
Does anyone here use krita? Is there any way to get the regular brushes to just flow smoothly?

I've been using Paint Tool Sai for everything and don't get me wrong it's an awesome program but krita literally has everything else that i'd want in a program as in the tools and such.

I've been messing around with krita ALL FUCKING DAY and i really cant figure out how to just get a smooth line like you can in paint tool sai. Is it even possible?
>>
File: capture19.jpg (65KB, 504x676px) Image search: [Google]
capture19.jpg
65KB, 504x676px
>>2710541
Damaged
>>
>>2710541
What do you mean by flowing smoothly?
>>
File: sofasurfers_panorama.jpg (83KB, 690x460px) Image search: [Google]
sofasurfers_panorama.jpg
83KB, 690x460px
Long shot, but does anybody have an idea who the artist is?
>>
What does doing cloth studies leave out? I do nothing but cloth studies because they're easy to set up and whatnot, but there must be lots of things I'm not practicing with that.
>>
File: panorama_2.jpg (83KB, 1000x497px) Image search: [Google]
panorama_2.jpg
83KB, 1000x497px
>>2711295
Why are the artists of album cover art never credited anywhere? Shit's impossible to trace.
>>
File: adad.png (30KB, 617x305px) Image search: [Google]
adad.png
30KB, 617x305px
>>2711295
>>2711300
Think I found him after a short googling trip senpai
>>
>>2711306
Well now I feel like I didn't even try.
Thank you anon!
>>
Why don't you write 'questions that don't deserve their own thread' at the OP?

People with questions are most likely new and don't know what the qtddtoa mean
>>
>>2711320
Noted.

But the old text is lost and nobody feels responsible for the QTs at the moment, so the next OP (which probably won't be me because I am away,) will have to add that.
>>
any way to improve symmetry? I always have problems doing faces in a front view
>>
>>2711466
>>2711466
Stop drawing from imagination and use reference. Symmetry is not hard.

Try subdividing the face even more to get more accuracy.
>>
Is there any online art school / instructor where you can can get expert feedback?

/ic/ is seriously a shot in the dark as far as critique goes, you get occasional good advice but usually it's just people spouting the same tired shit and the crab bucket mentality. I'd be willing to pay for instruction and feedback from someone whose skills I know and trust, but there aren't any good classes locally.
>>
so i have been learning the fundamentals and basics and stuff for a few months now, and i feel like i'm ready to make the transition to tablet. however, when i work on that, its like i'm back to even before day 1 of learning the basics. are there any resources for learning how to make the switch from traditional to digital?
>>
>>2711765
Watts.
>>
>>2711765
CGMA?
>>
>>2708119

You need to move on to 3 value notan to make the transition to painting.

See Arthur Wesley Dows book on composition.
>>
>>2711765
Schoolism.
>>
Does ANY kind of gesso work to prime a surface for painting?
I bought some random powder from a metalware store without doing any research since it costed nothing, but mixing it creates some grey granules, and no matter how much I mix it, it looks more like cement than a white smooth paste.

I also applied it to some cardboards to see how it'll work out then it dries.

Was all this useless? If so, what parameters do I need to check to get it smooth?
>>
File: 1475962598005.jpg (260KB, 650x916px) Image search: [Google]
1475962598005.jpg
260KB, 650x916px
How do I become better than this guy?
>>
>>2711765
Don't you think that they may tell you the same thing we do and you just suck balls and have skin with the thickness of wet toilet paper
>>
https://www.google.com/search?q=jeff+watts&espv=2&biw=1242&bih=602&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiV2J2QmdbPAhUJID4KHSzaBYMQ_AUIBygC#tbm=isch&q=jeff+watts+gouache

what's with jeff watts and eyes?
>>
>>2712373

I think that any art instructor worth their salt will tell me I suck balls - but unlike /ic/ they'll go further than that to tell me why I suck balls and how to fix it, supported by years of experience to back their suggestions. Contrast that to /ic/ where it's all anonymous people whose skill level is impossible to gauge - I could have some dipshit whose been drawing for 5 days passing on second hand advice he got from another dipshit whose been drawing for 2 based entirely on intuition rather than experience. Or I could get one of the myriad idiots who """""critique""""" on this board try and puff up their chest and feel better about themselves rather than fix anything in the person's piece. In either case, getting told "you suck balls" isn't the point of a fucking critique, and it's only useful as a wake up call to people who don't already know that.

You mistake antagonism for "harsh critique", don't fall in love with /ic/'s "tough but honest" delusion. This board is good to break an ego and get a thick skin, but it's an exceptional circumstance to get good critique from somebody who actually knows what they're talking about and are willing to prove it.
>>
File: amalia 2.jpg (95KB, 1047x720px) Image search: [Google]
amalia 2.jpg
95KB, 1047x720px
>>2712316
how can a painting skin like that, /ic/?? All my shit looks plastic
>>
>>2712394
They'll tell you to draw more.
>>
>>2711768
The only difference between traditional and digital should be how you use the pen. The fundamentals haven't changed - construction, perspective etc. still apply.

Just grind away on the tablet until your muscle memory starts to adapt. Do lines, ellipses, basic shapes etc until they start getting better, then do your studies and eventually your drawings with the tablet. A few weeks of constant practice and you'll probably be as good with the tablet as you are with a pencil.
>>
File: abs.png (67KB, 232x151px) Image search: [Google]
abs.png
67KB, 232x151px
What causes this much plane changes, and how can I draw them? The books don't say anything about that, they just show clean looking abs. Are those veins? Are they imperfections on the muscle fibers? Or are they just the skin fucking about? FEEEEELING doesn't work for me when I can't even tell what's going on.
>>
>>2712415
FEEEEEEEEEEEL THE FORM
>>
File: (You).png (461KB, 870x722px) Image search: [Google]
(You).png
461KB, 870x722px
>>2712394
Even people who suck balls can give good advice and is up to you to pick those that don't work you fucking idiot.
If you only stuck to only the things that only one person say to you will never be as good or better than them
If the only way you have to learn is some specific person holding your hand, then I fear to inform you will suck balls no mater what
>>
>>2712415
It's time to watch some dissections on the good ol' yt
>>
>>2712402
textured brushes and a limit on how shiny you make shit
>>
>>2711617

yeah, I mean If I have a reference I can do it without a problem, but what If I want to draw from imagination and have this problem
>>
>>2712421

Wanting to have an expert opinion for guidance doesn't mean ignoring literally any other source of guidance you vapid cunt, it means valuing the opinion of someone with experience over the worthless opinions of a dozen dipshits on /ic/ who have no idea what the fuck they're talking about and most of the time don't even make the slightest effort to actually help you. It's always a contest on this board, you get idiots (like you) who will argue for the sake of trying to be right rather than for the sake of assisting someone else, and usually that's completely worthless for the other person.

You're absolutely right, even a broken clock is right twice a day and even an amateur can tell you "your anatomy is off" but that doesn't magically mean that an amateur telling you "your anatomy is off" is as valuable as having an expert tell what about your anatomy is off, why it's off, and how you can address it.

You keep doing what you're doing, you can pretend you're right and I can find someone who knows what the fuck they're talking about.
>>
Is it ever appropriate to use photoshop filters? What about photoshop lens flares?
>>
File: depending_on_your_answer.png (204KB, 437x500px) Image search: [Google]
depending_on_your_answer.png
204KB, 437x500px
>>2712657
Does that mean that you are not ignoring the criticism they are giving you here?
>>
>>2712663

No, I'm just saying they're usually not good critiques. Any art that doesn't have slap in the face obvious beginner flaws frequently get ignored here, or nitpicked in a vague way that provides very little direction. At best they nudge you in the right direction - someone going "x y and z sucks you fucking faggot" at least directs you towards correcting x y and z if you hadn't realized you sucked at them already. If you had realized it that critique was worthless to you because they didn't tell you why it sucked or how to improve it. Most of the time that's as far as a critique goes on this board, and that's on a good day. It's very rare anyone will offer you any more guidance than that (except perhaps "READ LOOMIS", but even then half the people who say it do it as a kneejerk meme response). /ic/ is very big on the idea that anything you can get from an instructor you can get from a book, which is true, but an instructor's advice will be tailored to you while a book will not.

There is nothing wrong with wanting someone with experience in both the craft and - perhaps even more importantly - experience in TEACHING the craft to take time to individually analyse your art and work with you. There are even going to be good artists on this board who are shit teachers and can't effectively critique someone else's art. Add that to all the bad artists on this board who are shit teachers and can't effectively critique someone's art and you're really rolling the dice every time, so some consistent feedback from a trusted source who you KNOW has experience obviously doesn't hurt. Wanting this doesn't magically mean I want to substitute critique from others or learning from books, and the fact that someone will actually get indignant at the idea of wanting a knowledgeable instructor is pretty indicative of the quality of their opinion.
>>
File: 2386779-nklrb.jpg (27KB, 350x216px) Image search: [Google]
2386779-nklrb.jpg
27KB, 350x216px
>>2712682
There are too many words but from I can gather you are not stopping or building resistance.
Good job.
Just don't stop, that's the important step.
fgt
>>
>>2712421
>>2712663
>>2712690
vapid cunt really hit the mark
>>
>>2712415
Try a mirror and wikipedia.
>>
>>2712402
you may lack knowledge about how light works
>>
>>2712748
>Try a mirror
But I don't have abs like those
>>
>>2712751
doesn't matter
>>
File: 1433202644759.jpg (37KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
1433202644759.jpg
37KB, 500x334px
>>2712751

You don't need to lie on the internet, anonymous. We all know you're built.
>>
I have been drawing on a tablet for years, but I'm just now realizing that's it's far more challenging for me to do interesting poses and full bodies digitally than it is traditionally. How do I make it easier to sketch and complete those things on a tablet?
>>
>love to draw
>never have any drive to create things
>never have any ideas I want to draw
>just like to practice forever and play around in drawthreads from time to time
I'm currently trying to force myself to draw something but I just can't

what do?
>>
>>2713112
That's interesting, I had the same problem.
I think that that the extra separation of the tablet made it harder to trick myself into "feeling" gestural flow and 3d form while drawing.

Sadly I don't have any great solutions for you, besides sketching on paper and scanning in. I eventually got a Cintiq and the problem went away.
>>
Help me out guys. I just started drawing 2 days ago and I can't for the life of me do arms, without it looking like deadpools mini hands. I'm trying to make the pose pictured but without looking autistic, I just can't do it. Any recommendations / places I can go to figure out posing better?
Thanks guys.
>>
>>2714369
Beginner thread
>>
Okay, I have a few.
1. How do I start using color in my drawings after ten years without using it
2. I feel really physically trapped when I try to draw with a tablet, like actually like I need to stand up and run away from my computer desk. Is this normal?
3. I can't draw for shit out of the imagination. Poses are too hard for me to comprehend and I literally just don't have an imagination. I never get "inspiration" or "images" in my head that I imagine and just need to get down on paper. However I love drawing from reference, it's about the greatest thing. Am I a failure
>>
>>2714426
>1. How do I start using color in my drawings after ten years without using it
Just do it. Do some doodles with them, just draw whatever. You should be able to handle them if you did rendering before with whatever you were using. If you want to color something in a professional way, try one of those coloring book (I'm not talking about those stupid coloring books "for adults", I'm talking about guide books about coloring pencils n stuff).
>2. I feel really physically trapped when I try to draw with a tablet, like actually like I need to stand up and run away from my computer desk. Is this normal?
I do the same with everything really. I just try to do like
>I finish to render this part, THEN i play some game or take a shower or whatever.
>3. I can't draw for shit out of the imagination. Poses are too hard for me to comprehend and I literally just don't have an imagination. I never get "inspiration" or "images" in my head that I imagine and just need to get down on paper. However I love drawing from reference, it's about the greatest thing. Am I a failure
There are a lot of people who don't draw from reference. Most people I have seen just have a bunch of toys in some drawer or desk.
There are also books on how to draw from imagination. I think 1 was from bert dodson and other one recommended with some gremlin green thing in the cover, "to draw something that doesn't exist" or something. idk, search in the archives.
>>
Why do images get darker when I save them off the web and how do they not?
When asking google, all that pops up is questions about saving something from photoshop, but I just saved an image from the web and it comes out darker.
>>
>>2708989
>>2709020
>>2708976
new meme of this board
>>
File: Untitled-3.jpg (96KB, 766x402px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-3.jpg
96KB, 766x402px
>>2714668
Different color profile most likely. You can compare this by taking a screenshot and pasting it on photoshop, vs saving the actual image and opening it there. One is your display's default profile, the other is whatever the original image is saved as.
>>
I'm currently obsessing over a particular artist and I'm worried that all my motivation and drive is directed towards becoming a carbon copy of somebody else.
>>
>>2714369
>hands too small?
>draw them bigger
>now hands too big?
>draw them smaller, but bigger than the first time
>???
>repeat until happy with results
>>
>>2714691
find a few other artist to obsess over and you will become a combination of artists, not a inferior copy of one
>>
Any simple comprehensive tutorials on (vapor cloud) explosions?

I'm not talking about "how to draw explosions: do these shapes and render them in". I'm talking about the physics of explosions, what defines where the bright fiery parts are and how they spread etc.
>>
Anybody have any experience using a tablet (like a Samsung tablet) with pressure sensitivity as a light, portable way to do digital art.
If so, how well did it work?
>>
>>2714426
3. I can't draw for shit out of the imagination. Poses are too hard for me to comprehend and I literally just don't have an imagination. I never get "inspiration" or "images" in my head that I imagine and just need to get down on paper. However I love drawing from reference, it's about the greatest thing. Am I a failure
Nope, this is normal. It's easier to get results if you draw scenes with multiple characters which interact. Make thumbs and play around, you will get a feel for it.

Bad for inspiration is normally landscapes and single character stuff. You run out of interesting things fast, except maybe you are biologist.
>>
>>2715152
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNJ4mf7axYk

start at 1:20
>>
I just got an Intuos Pro tablet and while the drivers are working and sensitivity is there, the only program it's not working with is Paintool SAI. Not sure what to do - I've reinstalled the drivers, messed with the properties and my user settings. There's just not much out there on this issue. Any help?
>>
So I am in need of some new pencils. I bought a set from michaels arts and crafts about 6 months ago and they ranged from 3H ~ 4B. However they didn't really sharpen too well. Sometimes the lead would just fall out while drawing. What would yall recommend for some dark/softer leads (2B+). I was also thinking about buying another Mech pencil and buying some darker lead as well.
>>
Question about gesture
Does it matter how you do it, or is it fine however you do it so long as the result is good?
>>
>>2716770
I've seen many different approaches to gesture but what I would consider optimal are being able to capture the pose and energy of it and being able to build on top of your gestures

if your gestures are good but you can't use them to draw shit on top of them properly without losing that sense of movement then they're lacking in my opinion
>>
I was thinking of buying a model head to help me with drawing...the head. Loomis and I have not seen eye to eye on the matter.

So I was wondering
>Is that a good idea
>If so, perhaps a recommendation
>If not, a simple explaination
I'm still an amatuer, but I believe I've got a decent grasp on the basics to help me get where I'm going.
>>
I'm planning to purchase a tablet. And I just realized that my monitor is probably not very good

How drastic will this affect me? I noticed that in other artists' drawings, that I have a hard time seeing subtle shading unless I tilt the monitor.

So what do guys think, should I buy a new one? If so what economic choice of monitor would you suggest?
>>
>>2716978
Use 3D software.
Don't waste your money
>>
File: 1475099694111.jpg (318KB, 973x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1475099694111.jpg
318KB, 973x1280px
>>2717239
Are you retarded? 3D software produces a 2D image on a screen, this is not going to help at all, jesus.

>>2716978
Get head planes, ecorche or a skull (skull will serve you longer, but is most difficult). The casts are pretty cheap and if you're serious about learning you can get some good mileage out of them.
You can also resell them later, provided you don't ruin them.

You can use 3D models like this https://sketchfab.com/models/30bed9a74d194d23aed0e96fbae2a759
But make sure to rotate them a bit and feel the form, it's not as bad as photos, but i recommend getting a real head, since learning from life is way better for you.
>>
>>2717246
I don't get it?
You disagreed with me then right after a few lines, you recommended him to use 3D as an alternative
???
>>
File: wheel.jpg (21KB, 526x244px) Image search: [Google]
wheel.jpg
21KB, 526x244px
This color theory thing is a fucking mess.
What color wheel do you use? Do you paint with the left one (cmyk) and pick complementaries on the right one?
Steve Huston uses the one on the right.
>>
>>2710496
Damn i love 2hu games, but fuck me i want to rip my eyes out if i see the characters pop up. Play with mods.
>>
>>2717272

Holy shit. Do you paint digitally? I assume you do.

CMY is a substractive mix, because CYAN, MAGENTA and YELLOW create BLACK. That's for PIGMENTS, that's for traditional shit.

RGB is an additive mix, because RED, GREEN and BLUE create WHITE. You paint digitally with LIGHT, not with pigments.

RGB: Digicuck.
CMY: Tradicuck/ Printed digicuck.
>>
File: subtractive-additive.jpg (40KB, 505x301px) Image search: [Google]
subtractive-additive.jpg
40KB, 505x301px
>>2717306
Forgot pic goddamit.
>>
File: Limited_Palettes.2.jpg (81KB, 649x364px) Image search: [Google]
Limited_Palettes.2.jpg
81KB, 649x364px
>>2717272
this one
>>
File: 2000px-MunsellColorWheel.svg.png (334KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
2000px-MunsellColorWheel.svg.png
334KB, 2000x2000px
>>2717272
>>
>>2717306
Yes, I know that. Are you saying the complementary colors change depending on the medium you use?
The two color wheels I picked are CMY+RGB (primary+secondary) and RBY, a color wheel that makes no sense except for the fact that everyone uses it when picking palette combinations.

If you happen you use digital art yourself, how do you chose your palettes? You know, analogous, triadic etc.
Thanks for your reply btw.
>>
>>2717323
not him, but I strongly recommend painting with palettes from the internet. keep the color slider or wheel open but don't use it. color pick and pay close attention to what the color's "position" is.

By the time you've painted something with a palette you should have already internalized those specific color relationships.

you definitely have to get used to painting with existing palettes before you jump into making your own.
>>
>>2717308
Thank you for this pic, in school I was told light mixtures and paint mixtures are completely seperate processes, rather than directly related to one another.
>>
File: 2671340.jpg (201KB, 550x776px) Image search: [Google]
2671340.jpg
201KB, 550x776px
so i'm finishing up keys to drawing and starting to draw stuff from imagination with construction

i've started on dynamic sketching, but i think my perspective is still rough for construction drawing

what order should i do these in?
dynamic sketching
how to draw
norling perspective
olson perspective

i want to draw people as soon as i can, but only after i get a better foundation of 3d forms in space. is going into loomis's fun with a pencil and then hampton/bridgman/hogarth after all this perspective/construction stuff a good idea?
>>
Is there an /ic/ chat group right now?
>>
>>2717600
yes
>>
Is there a resource somewhere that I can use to learn about character design? Like I have ideas but besides looking at other similar characters I can't really think of any way to make good designs without copying or doing stupid shit that makes my characters look like deviantart OC
>>
>>2717664
well can i get them deets?
>>
>>2717228
bump on this
>>
Is there any trick to plotting out perspective when your vanishing point is off the page? I'm bad at doing it intuitively right now so the guides help, but if I try to cram my vanishing points onto the page for two point perspective it looks skewed.
>>
>>2717729
Rip apart a piece of paper. Put a dot on it. Get your main drawing. Put piece of paper where you want your vanishing point to be.
>>
Might by a long shot:

Are there any resources for theories of absolute perspective? Maybe something approaching the mathematical.

Like, what if I wanted to draw a dodecahedron floating in space in 5-point perspective? Situations where you realize things like eye levels, horizon lines, etc., are just arbitrary tools convenient for drawing things on planet earth - not necessarily some universal theory.
>>
>>2717693
https://discord.gg/drwuC
>>
is there any point on studies like this? do they offer you more than a really basic understanding on perspective? am i wasting my time?
>>
File: stdproj.gif (5KB, 620x500px) Image search: [Google]
stdproj.gif
5KB, 620x500px
>>2717745
The problem you are describing is essentially a perspective projection problem (ie how to "project" a 3D object onto a 2D surface). The fundamental objects of projection is the "center of projection", and the "plane of projection", these are keywords that computer graphics folks often use, but artists will know them as the "stationary point" and "picture plane", see pic related.

Artists solve the "projection problem" using construction and scaffolding like horizon lines, vanishing points, reference points, etc. Computer solve the "projection problem" by taking xyz matrices as input and input and spitting out xy matrices as output.

If you want to draw an arbitrary 3D object like a dodecahdron onto a 2D surface like a piece of paper -- with nothing but a pencil and ruler I'd imagine -- then you as a human are obliged to apply some form of construction artifacts. Maybe not horizon lines or vanishing points specifically, but a "scaffolding" of sorts will most certainly be necessary to consctruct your dodecahedron.

You could do it the way computers do it with a calculator (and a spare afternoon), but it will probably be more tedious. Before any kind of maths is done, you must first describe your dodecahedron in terms of its verticies, ie xyz coords.

I don't know of any resource that describes a technique that strikes a balance between being computationally heavy (matrices) and being "anthrocentric" (horizon lines, eye levels, etc), but I've dropped a bunch of keywords that should help you find the resources you're looking for.
>>
>>2717810
if you're doing more than a a couple dozen of these 2 VP cubes then you're wasting your time. You should maybe move on to applying them. maybe try make composite shapes using 2 VP cubes.
>>
>>2717810
there is a big point. it trains you to be able to draw objects in perspective without having to do lines towards a vanishing point to figure out where stuff goes.

for example, if you're drawing a torso, the shoulders and bottom of the ribs will move towards the same vanishing point (in a basic situation), and perspective studies like those will just aid you a lil when drawing them
>>
>>2717831
diff anon
I don't mean to be rude, but do you know what you're saying or are you just trying to sound like you know it? 'cause perspective on flat surface involves subjectivity to some extent - the amount of distortion, for example, depends on how rounded the viewer's eyeballs are. We are all just trying to create a convincing illusion, there's little "absolute" math involved and you certainly wouldn't be able to construct a dodecahedron with a calculator, a set of rulers and a bunch of coordinates.
>>
File: serveimage.png (211KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.png
211KB, 1000x1000px
>>2717887
I don't know what you're trying to say. Clarify what exactly is wrong with the stationary point + picture plane model of perspective projection that could possibly invalidate the maths behind perspective projection? The only flaw in the "illusion" is that there is only one stationary point even though people have 2 eyeballs. Also you mention distortion, you can get all kinds of distortion by just varying the distance between the stationary point and the picture plane, or even curving the picture plane.

pic related is a dodecahedron, are you suggesting that maths wouldn't have been used to render this image?
>>
File: cZerpZol.jpg (44KB, 640x381px) Image search: [Google]
cZerpZol.jpg
44KB, 640x381px
I've been drawing for a while but never had a blog since sharing my work is awkward because I can't handle being in the spotlight very well

how can I stop being a bitch
>>
>>2717961
just do it
>>
>>2717961
>blog
>being in the spotlight
It's not that big a deal anon, not if you don't make it one.
Wanna share your stuff? Do it.
And if you don't, you don't.
>>
>>2717831
Thanks for this, really nice stuff.

Where'd you pick up all this, btw? Did you study math intensively at school?
>>
>>2717999
Meaningful keywords, a search engine and a spare afternoon is all you need.
>>
>>2716609
No clue, but you could try the Tombow 100 ones if you care.
Alternative would be using some kind of lead holder.
>>
>>2718028
I see, I actually considered doing the same, only my eyes glazed over some ass-long Wikipedia articles on geometry.

Good to know I'm not the only one obsessive about finding out more. I thought I was crazy/taking it too far... Like in the end it seems hard to imagine that any artist you've ever admired gave a shit about anything more complicated than a few vanishing points.
>>
File: 1464119378092.png (659KB, 600x855px) Image search: [Google]
1464119378092.png
659KB, 600x855px
>>2718280
I think you are most definitely crazy and taking things too far if you intend to explore the maths behind perspective projection as a drawing tool.

If I were you I would explore "advanced" perspective construction techniques, like moving, rotating, and mirroring objects, including curves and regular polygons. Or constructing objects with exact proportions and dimensions

I would also explore the relationship between the stationary point and the picture plane. IMO they are the 2 most fundamental ideas you have to work with when depecting a 3D world on a 2D surface. An intuitive understanding of what different SP/PP configurations and how to draw objects according to specific SP/PP configs would probably be a good tool for designing compositions. I haven't gotten there yet but I strive to.

If you haven't already, look up how to draw by scott robertson, the handprint website (and the perspective texts they cite), olsen's videos, and vandruff's videos.
>>
>>2717810
If you're just drawing boxes without thinking about it, then they're fucking useless pal. How do you draw boxes without thinking about it? You fucking just connect the dots and it's now a 2D process instead of a 3D one.
>>
Which materials was used on this picture here? How can I make that small details on the shadows (can I make it with a pencil?)
>>
>>2718457
Googled it and it says pen and brown ink. That's cross-hatching so, yeah.
>>
why does vilppu start every sentence with "take and"?
>>
Why if I post here or on the beg thread I have to bump like a retarded faggot to receive some feedback, while people who open new threads with their artworks (even when they are beg level) receive quick feedback? Now I will open only new threads with my shit since it's the best method.

Inb4 I am autistic and I shall kill myself, start answering the fucking beg and question threads and ignoring the new ones.
>>
File: spell paintover.jpg (494KB, 2431x1469px) Image search: [Google]
spell paintover.jpg
494KB, 2431x1469px
>>2711765
>>2712421
>>2712682
There's this oldass thread on CA where they archived paintovers, and a few of the artists were really good and put a lot of effort into doing them. You generally won't find that level of advice now though...

Most artists who made it probably won't have time to sit around and do this crap anymore.
>>
>>2718457
What an odd picture. All that detail and hatching in the clothing, and the hand is just a poorly sketched claw.
>>
Regarding landscape painting: should I study from paintings or photos? What makes more sense?
>>
File: gowboi.jpg (195KB, 1000x745px) Image search: [Google]
gowboi.jpg
195KB, 1000x745px
Does anyone have thoughts on this?
>>
>>2719113
this could have been good

into the trash it goes
>>
>>2719131
it can be salvaged... just not at my skill level
>>
File: 1460476511221.jpg (23KB, 280x281px) Image search: [Google]
1460476511221.jpg
23KB, 280x281px
So, what's in a good study/vidya balance? I know for sure I need to improve, but the latter tends to be a bigger distraction than it should be.
>>
Any tips on how to get proportions right? even when I copy from real life I always end up drawing an arm longer than another or too thin or really small compared to the body
>>
File: no_heresy_intendended.jpg (489KB, 1699x1960px) Image search: [Google]
no_heresy_intendended.jpg
489KB, 1699x1960px
I'm going to hell for defiling a holy icon?
>>
>>2719391
you know how to use a pencil to measure things? Also, when starting the drawing, draw soft light lines. so that you can change them when you realize they are wrong. Don't start the drawing thinking that you will get everything right at once.
>>
>>2719416

I've heard about the pencil measuring, I'm on keys to drawing right now and I think it's talked about later
>>
>>2719113
learn using your painting materials, your color application is crap and so is your painting process
>>
>>2719347

I've come to consider art as my hobby and vidya as my entertainment (akin to watching TV/movies etc - unproductive but fun). The question you need to ask yourself is how much of your time your pursuit of art is worth to you. Take the time spent on your necessities (work, sleep, eating), then next fill in the maximum time you're comfortable working on something to improve yourself (education / hobbies, IE art), and then fill in the rest with entertainment during your leisure time. Try not to consider art as a leisure activity akin to vidya but as an exercise in self improvement that you should be doing whether you're enjoying it at the time or not (though if you're consistently hating it you might want to revise your choice of hobby). You're not going to find the universal correct answer, because we don't know whether you're a 1-2 hours a day kind of guy or an 8 hours a day kind of guy. It's inevitable that more hours on art will cut into your video game time, you need to find for yourself what level of it you're comfortable with, and whether your ambitions as an artist are more important to you than your leisure on any given day.
>>
>>2719391

Well, first thing with people you should get the hang of are the static proportions. IE take that stiff drawing of a guy standing straight and find out where everything lines up (you know, the sort of "7-8 heads tall, one head down is the nipples, etc. Elbows are by the belly button, hips are also by the bellybutton, etc. There are a lot of parts of the body that 'line up', just look for them). That gives you a sort of 'common sense' of when something isn't proportionate.

You'll also need a bit of perspective knowledge and knowing how foreshortening works. Just memorizing the static position isn't enough because people move and when they move it'll fuck up your static measurement. Sometimes one arm is longer than the other because the other arm is foreshortened in your reference, or his shoulder is tilted further down on one side. If one arm is going straight down and the other is going towards you, the one going straight down will appear longer. If you learn how to simplify the human form into basic shapes (think of those mannekins) and then understand how those basic shapes work in perspective it'll help you a lot. It's a lot easier to conceive of how a cylinder or rectangle foreshortens than an arm of a ribcage.

You also need to get the hang of doing a light underdrawing before rendering. It's not uncommon for your first pass to have some proportional issues, even good artists might have crappy proportions on their gesture/lay in. You just need to review it and refine proportions before you start rendering.

Then from there it's mileage. If you draw a lot of people it'll become relatively intuitive, and you'll be quick to spot when your proportions are fucked.
>>
Are there any good brown / sepia waterproof inks?
>>
Photoshop newb here: I remember seeing a perspective tool used. I'm 80% sure it was photoshop but 20% unsure (might have been a Krita guide I was watching). Basically, the tool made it so you could only draw lines at a certain angle, or moving to a certain point. Could anyone here point me towards what that tool would be called?
>>
>>2720102

Dunno about photoshop though I wouldn't be surprised if it had one.

I know for a fact clip studio/manga studio has a good perspective tool that does exactly that.
>>
>>2720102
You mean shift?
>>
>>2720108
No, not shift clicking, it was a way of "freehand" drawing lines in a guaranteed direction or at guaranteed parallels.

>>2720105
Come to think of it it probably was a Manga Studio tut, maybe someone here does no of a similar photoshop tool or plugin?
>>
>>2708854
How do I study fundamentals, anatomy, etc
>>
>>2720165
By drawing, dumbass. Go back to the sticky.
>>
File: 1475284187497.png (517KB, 600x958px) Image search: [Google]
1475284187497.png
517KB, 600x958px
>>2720165

You just download them into your brain straight from the sticky, family man.
>>
I have time to draw right now but I don't feel like drawing.
>tfw not going to make it
>>
>>2720251
just do iitttt! think of all the people drawing right now gittin gud while you sit there on your ass doing fuck all
>>
>>2720251

Do it everyday my dude, if you stop for a few days it'll feel akward and then you will never get back into it
>>
>>2720254
>>2720259
I don't know what to draw.
>>
>>2720274
Pussy excuse! Assess your goals, friendo. There is ALWAYS something to draw. What do you suck at? Draw that shit!

If all else fails, just do some observational drawing of stuff in your home or elsewhere.
>>
>>2720274

Practice anything really, I imagine you've gone through the basic books like keys to drawing already, if not you can do the excercises there
>>
>>2719878

Thanks a lot what you said really makes sense, I just started the keys to drawing chapter on proportions too so I'll look into it
>>
File: 1345668307872.png (57KB, 420x294px) Image search: [Google]
1345668307872.png
57KB, 420x294px
>>2720251
>>2720274
Christ, some people.
>>
Is the last exercise on keys to drawing essential ? It tells to do what I basically do at school
>>
As a beginner, is it better to start off just using a pen? I heard this helps you practice line quality/control/etc more because you don't have the option of erasing.
>>
>>2720910
Pen is good. I personally think pencil is fine if you can resist the temptation to feather or erase.
>>
>>2720910

I'd say pens will teach you better habits.

There's nothing inherently wrong with pencils, but especially as a beginner the eraser will be a very tempting thing. When you fuck up with a pencil you erase it and keep going, when you fuck up with a pen it stings. It really makes you go "I don't want to make that stupid mistake again."
>>
>>2720539
Some people were never meant to make it.
>>
>>2720948
Sorry about the dumb question, but what is feathering with a pencil exactly? I was under the impression this was for ink
>>
>>2720958
Lol it's not dumb, to my knowledge feathering isn't some formal vocabulary or anything. What I meant was making light, unconfident strokes with your pencil. Peter Han (and Scott Robertson?) advise using pen/felt-tip pen for the reasons anons cited above.
>>
>>2721037
i think its usually referred to as chicken scratching
>>
>>2708854
i want to make money from art, but I dont want to socialize and network. you guys have any tips on this? or am I already fucked out of the gate
>>
>>2721080
The act of making money in this world involves trade and to trade means you have to socialize and network. You are asking for something impossible unless you buy your own art.
>>
>>2721080

Anon, you can be a good artist, and you can be a good businessman. You can be one or the other, you can be neither, or you can be both.

If you want to make money, though, you need to be a good businessman, and that means being able to network. Don't expect money and opportunities to come to you. Better artists than you have died poor.
>>
>>2721095
>>2721082
im already terrible at socializing with my family members and peers. How much socializing and networking do I have to perform in order to make shekels? do i have to constantly kiss ass until senpai notices me? lol is the socializing and network hierachy similar to highschool?
>>
File: pencil measuring.jpg (133KB, 1600x1117px) Image search: [Google]
pencil measuring.jpg
133KB, 1600x1117px
Is this how pencil measuring works? for example do you bring your pencil closer in order to make bigger drawings and further away to make small ones?
>>
>>2721186

My experience is that it's always best to hold it at extended arm's length. You want a common length to measure by, and it's easiest to stay consistent with a fully extended arm. How you measure with your pencil doesn't really determine the size of your drawing, just how you mark your proportions.
>>
>>2721120

I mean, I don't know how your highschool experience was.

The idea is that you need to be willing to be the initiator of conversations. You can't sit and wait for people to come and speak to you, you need to go and speak to them. That's intimidating to a lot of people, but that's generally how business works. Unless you've got something very special to offer or you're already established, you need to seize the initiative.

Marketing 101 is to make people want to buy something they don't need. People don't need art. You need to make people WANT your art. Part of that means, for lack of a better term, selling yourself. Whether that means dropping off portfolios or putting "open for commission" ads on a blog is up to you, but the likelihood of someone just walking up and offering you a job aren't that high.

The thing is, you can be an excellent craftsman but that doesn't guarantee you a livelihood if nobody thinks your craft is worth money. You need to be a merchant of your art, you need to convince people your craft is worth their money.
>>
>>2721196
Quality post, thx anon. It'll be hard af to overcome my intense introverted nature but you gotta do what you gotta do.
>>
File: 1475434028109.gif (177KB, 160x160px) Image search: [Google]
1475434028109.gif
177KB, 160x160px
Should I just draw still lifes if I want to get better at textures? Or is there an easier approach? Draw-A-Box wasn't exactly helpful.
>>
>>2721202
If you want to get better at textures, you draw textures. How did you get to doing still lifes will make you better at textures? Drawabox tells you partly how to do this, but it's a waste of time and the creator believes this too because textures behave depending on the object as well.
>>
>>2721204
I just thought that I was missing out on something because I don't do still lifes that much.
>but it's a waste of time [...] because textures behave depending on the object as well.
That makes a lot of sense actually.
>>
>>2721191

Yes I think I get it now, you measure a part of the body with the pencil and use that as a reference?
>>
Does anyone have that gorgeous painting of a boat from top view with a sea creature visible under it (and I guess the person in the boat is looking down at the translucent water)?
>>
>>2721340
That's a bit vague, anon. I can think of many images like that. What's the creature for example look like?
>>
>>2721345
I know, sorry about that. I'm pretty sure it was digital (although with a traditional look), and I remember a long fish tail. Maybe the creature was half inside the boat? I'm not sure. Sorry for being so vague, am retarted
>>
File: sea.jpg (71KB, 500x1200px) Image search: [Google]
sea.jpg
71KB, 500x1200px
>>2721346
Something like this? Or is it a different composition?
>>
File: 1288975849.jpg (249KB, 648x811px) Image search: [Google]
1288975849.jpg
249KB, 648x811px
where can I find more of Ruanjia's old practice work? his CA page looked like it had some things, but no images are working. already checked his weibo too.
>>
>>2721355
it's definitely different, the view is top down (as if looking from above the boat) and it's daytime
>>
File: sergey-kolesov-mermaid-sharpen.jpg (232KB, 1600x1066px) Image search: [Google]
sergey-kolesov-mermaid-sharpen.jpg
232KB, 1600x1066px
>>2721399
>>
>>2721405
Yes! Thank you.
>>
where can a pirate get a free download of clip studio that doesn't have a virus or malware?
>>
Looking for personal opinions, how do you guys set up reference pictures while working on digital drawing? I want to set up second monitor in the future for this reason.
>>
Any advices or videos on how I can create the best ambient around me that helps me getting better, like Idk, watching videos, reading comics and stuff maybe ?
>>
>>2721455
try this senpai http://www.pureref.com/

i feel u tho a second monitor would be reall nice..
>>
>>2721494

None of that will "help you get better" in any sense except maybe help you work a little longer without getting bored. Some might do the opposite and distract you and make you work less. You need to be able to focus on your work, so keep your ambiance to stuff that's not distracting. Generally that cuts videos and comics out, though sure watch stuff or read comics for inspiration in between if you want.

My preferred ambiance is to have a cup of coffee and some music, ideally stuff without lyrics. Some people like podcasts, personally I find it too distracting, I either pay too much attention to the podcast or don't pay any attention to it.
>>
File: 1421857863193.png (107KB, 553x382px) Image search: [Google]
1421857863193.png
107KB, 553x382px
Probably dumbass question, but do you guys draw in a....steady way? Half the time I draw I get stressed out and find it hard to draw anything probably because I draw too fast without thinking. I look at people's rough sketches and they look so clean and flowy compared to mine. I think my screwed the way I draw over the years.
>>
>>2721451
You made me remember that I bought mine despite never using it. At least it ain't as expensive as Photoshop.
>>
I understand that line weights make images look better, but how do I effectively use them?
>>
>>2722190

Darker/thicker lines generally can be used to depict when something is in shadow. Another way to use line weight is proximity. Something closer to the viewer can have thicker lines, especially at points where they overlap with more distant lines.
>>
>>2721826
good for you but i still don't have it.
>>
>>2721826

Why didn't you use it?

I use it a lot (well manga studio but as far as I know they're basically identical) and think it's excellent software.
>>
How do I go about thinking of what hues to use in a harsh daylight scenario? Ambient light confuses me particularly, should it be warm because of the environment or cool because of the sky?
>>
What's a good way to practice the information in Bridgman's Constructive Anatomy?
>>
File: tumblr_lgsermo0UO1qb3flyo1_500.gif (487KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lgsermo0UO1qb3flyo1_500.gif
487KB, 500x281px
>>2708854
I want to get a job in animation It doesn't have to be at like Disney or anything, but somewhere like Titmouse would be great.

I'm transferring to a really cheap school (I ain't rich) but the closest thing they have to an animation degree is a graphic design degree. If I got in a degree in graphic design, would I still have a chance at getting a job relating to animation if I worked on animation stuff on my own? I mainly just want a degree just to have one. And I'm still unclear, could I try interning for an animation studio if my degree would be graphic design?

Thanks!
>>
how large should i be drawing?
>>
I used to use Manga Studio a lot but now I'm messing with photoshop. I had a good workflow with MS that I'm struggling to replicate in photoshop, and I have a question.

I have a small group of tool presents I use, and I want to be able to switch between presets quickly. Is there a good hotkey/way to do this? Say I have two tools, and I want to go from one to the other without needing to manually click them. I know there's one for brushes, is there one for tool presets?
>>
>>2723700

Canvas size or brush size?

Canvas size bigger is better, until you start lagging. You can always reduce your canvas size when you're done, but you can't make it bigger without having to majorly touch up your image. Lots of brushes also behave better at larger canvas sizes.

Brushwise depends on the point of your drawing, I find during the layin a large brush is preferable, then a smaller one for details.
>>
>>2723507
well if you don't mind building up your portfolio in your freetime i think you could try looking for other animators or groups while your in your design program
>>
File: Screenshot_5.png (163KB, 734x727px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_5.png
163KB, 734x727px
So I notice with a lot of photoshop brushes that while I keep my brush held down in a single 'stroke' it blends together quite nicely. The second I remove my brush and come in on another stroke I get this awful 'overlap'. Is this normal? Is there a way to fix it?
>>
>>2723925
krita has a blending mode called greater, if your second brush is not harder than your first, it will not cover it like that

is still not as natural as traditional, but atleast krita is free
>>
>>2721824
I had the same problem and still do when I draw without thinking

just start thinking, at look at some videos of your favorite artists drawing in real time, you will get a feel of how fast you need to be. Watching so many speed up drawing videos fucked me up subconsciously.
>>
>>2723932

Manga Studio has good blending too and I use that primarily, but it also has its own flaws. I'm trying to give photoshop a shot, if that fails I'll probably stick to Manga Studio.
>>
>>2723925
Make sure your flow is set to 100%. Some custom brushes have flow specific settings you need to set in the settings.
>>
>>2722190
There's a pretty decent guide on things you can use line weight for in this imgur gallery (sixth from the top)
http://imgur.com/a/IkoEZ#5

Question: What's the use of subsurface scattering?
I feel like I have a decent grasp of how it works in theory, but I don't really see that it has any use outside of illustrating strongly backlit subjects without any secondary lighting. Is there something I'm missing?
>>
>>2723507
Try asking in the animation thread. They might know more
>>2713460
>>
>>2709349

In addition to the other answer this got, the reason to draw huge digitally, not necessarily in terms of dpi, but resolution, is that line edges become smoother and more natural looking at high resolutions, as do things like gradients. Scaling down, assuming you aren't doing it in a way that would create artifacts, doesn't reduce the overall quality of the image and can actually help smooth out minor imperfections. Almost all professional industry comics illustrators, digital or traditional, draw bigger than the final print size to take advantage of this.

Also scaling up almost always reduces quality, so it's just a good idea to start bigger anyway in case you decide to display it larger later.
>>
Saw a chart posted on here a while ago that had simple examples of the different kinds of lighting rendered in some 3D program.
Anyone have it?
>>
>>2723925

That's normal Photoshop behavior. Best way to get smooth blending in Photoshop is to pick up the lighter colors with an eyedropper and blend that way.

Best might no be the right word, but that's the common way to do it.
>>
>>2724290
i do but not on a dead laptop maybe try at warosu.org/ic search for infographics on op
>>
>>2722865
Bridgman is more about getting into the proper mindset about understanding and learning anatomy, not doing exercises.
>>
>>2709349
There are, but there are also many reasons to just stick to 150dpi or similar. Higher resolutions aren't always better or necessary.
>>
>>2724070
>http://imgur.com/a/IkoEZ#5
so much useful knowledge
>>
if you smoke weed, how much does it help you personally with creativity and drawing in general?
>>
Wouls drawing 30 mins - 1 hour a day get me anywhere or is it neccessary to go 2+ hours?
>>
>>2724416
Yes, but it would be pretty damn slow, and there are things that are much harder to learn in smaller chunks (for instance, a four-hour photo study is a lot easier to understand when you can do the whole thing in one go, rather than spending four days on it).
The important part is to focus on improving, rather than just drawing random shit that you already know how to draw without reflecting on how to improve.
>>
>>2724431
I see, thanks.
>>
>>2724409
it makes drawing fun and interesting
>>
>>2724416

That's the rate I've been going at and I'm relatively pleased with my progress, you can move at an acceptable pace if you apply yourself. Obviously the more hours the better though (to a point. You're going to get diminishing returns if you start trying to slam 10 hours a day).

If all you can pull off is 30 minutes - 1 hour that's a start, when you're beginning I'd say building a steady habit is more important than going all in and potentially burning out. You can always ramp it up once you're comfortable.
>>
>>2724416
Not really, because the time is just too short. It's over before your brain really gives attention.

2-3 hours learning stuff (not drawing!) would be good.
It is also necessary to practice certain skills for several days or weeks a few hours every day to really get them. Again, 2-3 hours are ok.

Drawing itself is pretty pointless without learning when it comes to more complicated topics as you don't learn anything you could apply.

Craming like in school (8-10 hours) only works in a school setting and even there, 2-3 hours learning and the rest applying is normal, except it is just listening to stuff you already knew or which is very simple to grasp. For complicated topics at one point you are just too exhausted.

You really need to take time to go through small stuff. There are a lot of non-obvious details in things even if they look simple. (see the other thread where people thought that specular reflection has the same position as where the diffuse light is the strongest. Both of these topics - specular and diffuse - are worth studying on their own for several hours before applying.)

When learning on your own, it would probably 2-3h x 1-3 days learning, then 2-3+h x 3-10 days applying. But you will probably spend much more time on the days you apply, because it actually gets fun once you understand something and time flies.

If you do 8-10 hours then you will need to be able to practice something previously learned in the 5-6h you don't learn, as drawing something you haven't grasped yet is a waste of time. This switching of topics can be annoying. Also, it is easy to physically exhaust yourself or even get sick when you do this kind of stuff, so it has to be properly prepared and done.
>>
>>2724456
>>2724544
I'll aim for an hour a day at least and give it more time when I'm feeling like it. I've also got other things I want to improve in as well and making a 2 hour daily obligation is scary.
Thank you for helping.
>>
How do I draw more? After making a few original sketches (less than 5) I'm completely exhausted. When I'm studying however, I can make tens and tens of drawings without faltering.
>>
>>2725189

By drawing more.

Original sketches are more exhausting because you're more mentally taxed, the only way to improve that is becoming more familiar and more comfortable, there isn't a magic trick for it. The reason you can go longer on studies are because it's very easy to 'switch off' and go into copy mode, autopilot isn't so easy for original drawings where you have to make considerably more decisions.
>>
>>2708854
Does anyone know any book or tutorials on axonometric drawing?
it looks so simple but i can't wrap my head around it
>>
I'm reading Scott Robertson's How to Draw and I cant understand his use of ellipses. How the fuck do you use ellipses to make perspective squares rather than the other way around?

In order to properly make an ellipse in perspective you need to figure out its halfway point for the minor axis, but at that point why not just finish the square by eyeballing it?

What does adding an ellipse into the equation do???

Please help, i'm super lost here
>>
>>2726650
Update:

Regarding his method of making cubes via ellipses, the only way I see it working is if you can freehand ellipses in perfect perspective, otherwise your cubes turn into rectangles.

But normal ellipse construction involves the bounding box???

So really what would solve my problem would be how to choose the location the minor axis crosses the circle's plane.
>>
>>2726650
>>2726657
Illustration of what im talking about.

Green=Minor Axis
Black=Perspective lines to create a cube
Red=Ellipse
Blue=Bounding Box edge: shows where square should end

How do I determine the size of circle I should use?
>>
File: sssss.png (21KB, 1104x712px) Image search: [Google]
sssss.png
21KB, 1104x712px
>>2726650
>>2726657
>>2726672
Fuck im a mess
>>
>>2726673
>practice straight lines
>practice squiggle lines
>draw horizon line
>dot the vanishing point
>draw lines coming from vanishing point
then try the elipse
>>
>>2726673
You could draw ellipses as you can do them now and get better at them while you draw a lot.

As for cubes, you can use other methods which are exact for now and may give you some hints on what you want. Have a look at "Perspective, A Guide for Artists, Architects and Designers" for the geometric construction methods. Although I think it only shows the hardcore ones for the most complicated cases.

>>2726627
if you need a tut for that, try harder instead.
>>
is it okay or bad habit to zoom in over 100%?
>>
Why does everyone here say "desu" all the time?
>>
Can someone explain or direct to me a tutorial on how to use multiply layers for colouring on photoshop, or just an effective way to setup layers, i can't get my head around it.

>>2729036
It's a wordfilter for t. b. h.
s m h is filtered to baka too
>>
>>2729004
It's fine if you're working on the fine details, just make sure to zoom back out to proper viewing size every now and then.

If you're doing it a lot, you might consider working at a higher resolution.
>>
File: 734892379487.gif (16KB, 871x637px) Image search: [Google]
734892379487.gif
16KB, 871x637px
>>2726673
>>
>>2729430
thank you so much senpai
>>
File: im ready to die.jpg (20KB, 480x446px) Image search: [Google]
im ready to die.jpg
20KB, 480x446px
>Working on keys to drawing
>Every excercise going smoothly
>Get to the point where the excercise needs you to use models
>Don't have any friends with time to ask for modeling

I guess ill move to figure drawing with loomis
>>
how do i get the line tool in manga studio 5 to look like a brush stroke on one end? or both? like with different width.

i really wanna google this question but I have no idea what that technique is called.
>>
>>2708854

for those of you that have a patreon:

i need to sign up with my legal name, right? for tax reasons i imagine? is there a risk of patreon disclosing my legal name to the whole world? i don't want people to know i also draw tasteless smut.
>>
File: Capture.png (76KB, 409x580px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
76KB, 409x580px
How do I get better at figuring out the 2D/3D proportions/dimensions of something?

Right now I'm struggling is figuring out the proportions of the hands feet and face. Every-time I try to invent a figure i subconsciously sperg out and pick a pose that hides these things, or draw just big enough that i don't worry about feet, etc.
>>
Are there any top-tier artstation autists on youtube?
>>
What's the best tablet I can buy for $60 USD?
>>
>>2729720
Probably nothing.

Avoid the overpriced flexible ones, people are selling them for $60 or so now instead of $20 which they are worth at best. Get something which doesn't expect you to put in batteries. The pens which take these break much easier, are too heavy, and the batteries discharge too fast.
>>
>>2729682
Don't make characters literally pose, create scenes. Hands are also not shown when they aren't in use, the character has to do something with them, most people hide them otherwise. Feet are rarely prominent.
>>
>>2729682
and use thin linework. Thicker brushes help for beginners, but only with thin lines can you create the proper details. Look at how professional artists do it.
>>
File: 247c60f9.png (356KB, 962x675px) Image search: [Google]
247c60f9.png
356KB, 962x675px
Someone has cat ear and tail anatomy with muscles?
>>
>>2718927
Drapery study, not hand study.
>>
>>2716609
Derwent works great for me.
>>
>>2720102
>Photoshop newb here: I remember seeing a perspective tool used. I'm 80% sure it was photoshop but 20% unsure (might have been a Krita guide I was watching). Basically, the tool made it so you could only draw lines at a certain angle, or moving to a certain point. Could anyone here point me towards what that tool would be called?

Something like this? https://gumroad.com/l/MESl#
>>
>>2729734
>>2729720
What about $100?
>>
>>2717769
Anyone got a new link for this?
>>
Is there a digital painting program with a french curve or plugin? Preferablly, is there a plugin for manga studio, photoshop or paint tool sai?
>>
>>2730447
>https://discord.gg/drwuC
Yeah is there a new link for this?
>tldr; where is the /ic/ chat group?
>>
>>2730447
https://discord.gg/bHb3v
>>
>>2730451
Yeah

>>2730461
Thanks
>>
is there a way to open or save corrupt manga studio .lip files? it got corrupted when my PC suddenly restarted while working on it.

the error message is
"the specified file was not be found. This file may not exist or the name of it may be changed. It will be replaced with a white page by opening the page management file again."
>>
is tracing a viable way to get better at art
>>
>>2732337
I suppose it's not impossible, but it's way more educational to learn how to eyeball it.
If you're really having trouble, try overlaying a grid on top of what you're referencing and use that as a reference.
Thread posts: 309
Thread images: 64

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.