[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Assistance with what I should improve on

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: 20160923_163304.jpg (2MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160923_163304.jpg
2MB, 5312x2988px
What in this should I improve on? Aspiring to draw manga better but I need insight into it.
>>
File: Crv1Lw7VMAA9rvz.jpg (208KB, 1200x804px) Image search: [Google]
Crv1Lw7VMAA9rvz.jpg
208KB, 1200x804px
>>2691258
Forget about shading and color, just practice linework for now.

Your goal is to do many sketches of that level or higher within a reasonable time. You can spend 1hr doing multiple light sketches vs 1 full study, not saying you shouldn't put effort.

Things to focus on
-figures and poses
-hands
-faces
-look at good artist,illustrator

If any more Qs just ask away.
>>
>anime
>>
>>2691258
always and forever, sticky and beginner thread.

what manga do you even read
>>
>>2691258
Hate to break it to you, but all the good manga artists and animators studied how to draw realistic stuff before swan-diving off into stylisation.

Two things you'll need to have a rock-solid grasp on are perspective and anatomy. Start with perspective. Norling's Perspective Made Easy and then Robertson's How To Draw.
>>
>>2691258
[spoiler]Stop drawing animeshit[/spoiler]
>>
>>2691258
Okay so your basis in manga is good BUT there's more to drawing anime/manga than just drawing a head yknow? The only way and I mean ONLY way you're going to get better at the bodies is by doing life studies. There's some sites in the sticky with free resources for doing gesture drawings (I suggest doing it in "class mode" which will gradually increase time like in a live class). Sometimes you can find inexpensive life drawing classes around town depending on where you live (one near me is something like $5-10 a session, hell of a lot cheaper than art school).

So start with that first of all. Check out loomis to learn the fundamentals. Your work will be better in the long run. It's gonna be boring and sucky but when you start to notice the progress in your personal work after doing studies you'll understand why they're important and why studying WORKS.

It's the ONLY way to improve. There's no short cuts in art.

So start with that and worry about the manga later (Or if you're like me, try to actively apply your studies to your drawing. Recall poses from the gesture drawings and recreate them in your own style while remembering proper proportions and learning to understand how the body works).

Good luck OP. Also best advice anyone can give you in art: Have a thick skin, especially on 4chan. People are not nice in the art world, even if it's only behind your back. Be prepared for harsh criticisms and if they have nothing constructive, it's just water off a duck's back. Breathe, thank them whether they helped or were a retard (most likely on here) and move on.
>>
>>2691587
^ this for sure....

also stop drawing anime until you can draw the real thing. it will help.... a lot....
>>
>>2691258
For shading, use colored pencils and do lose strokes to get the cell shading, don't try and go for printed finish. Don't use the pencil for shading.

Use the pencil for outlines, which allows you to concentrate on them better.

You can use artist sketch pads (100 sheets of paper/$8) for this. I don't recommend perfectly white paper, as it makes everything look sterile.

Also, grab some books about drawing in manga style. There are probably enough out there about topics that interest you.

I don't recommend Loomis or drawing from life, it is a waste of time for now.
>>
>>2691578
>>2691632
Kill yourselves.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.