[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

pic unrelated you know /ic/ even though your filled with memes

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: download (1).jpg (7KB, 187x270px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
7KB, 187x270px
pic unrelated
you know /ic/ even though your filled with memes and trolls and hatred, i just wanna say because of you guys i have never worked harder in my life to improve my drawing. and nor has my art looked better.
and i love you for it :)

thanks /ic/
>>
>>2687362
P.Y.W.
>>
>>2687369
>doesn't post work.

i may if i find something worthy of posting, i didn't say it was good i just said it looked better than it ever has . give me a minute to look through all the bullshit though.
>>
I'm glad it helped you to be motivated and to improve your art !
>>
File: navy_by_puppeteerlee-d9xibxp.jpg (635KB, 707x1000px) Image search: [Google]
navy_by_puppeteerlee-d9xibxp.jpg
635KB, 707x1000px
This is the best and worst art forum. Best in that it gave me direction into what I'd become eventually and has give me indispensable artistic knowledge, but it's also the worst in that a lot of people here are unwilling to help noobs, but instead insult them. I've been here for years and I've always tried to be helpful, but I'm in the very small minority of people here who try to be helpful. Ironically though, I'm here because I'm so used to the harsh setting. I can't get into DA, CA or WC they're all ass-pat oriented kek. Especially deviantart, kek, those people, in general, do not like you for your art, but if you favorited them or gave them a llama badge thing.

Tl;dr /ic/ a best
>>
>>2688848
Agreed, it's an art board, not some hugbox piece of shit.
I have to thank /ic/ as well, you guys made me suck a little less.
What's CA and WC, though?
>>
>>2688848
I second this comment.

The insults here usually don't lie though. It may look like bullying because the artist receiving critiques does not know how to respond to harsh feed back. Especially if the artist is not good and is attached to his/her piece of artwork that they work so so hard on.

I don't mind the asshole comments. Personally I find it comical. It's the internet and you have to expect that sort of thing if you're posting.
>>
All the shitposting and drama threads always made me laugh or atleast smile during the darkest of times. Thanks /ic/
>>
In general though I've never understood the mentality of spoonfeeding beginner artists - That is besides pointing them towards resources, of which there are many.

All joking aside, getting good at drawing is a lot of time and effort so, while some may perceive being overly harsh on beginners to be wrong I think asking for feedback with what i'd assume to be little introspection is just as insulting. Often times the feedback needed for most people is to simply draw more... Until they're drawing for a few hours a day most of what guidance that can be given is useless.

That being said, some people might need the recognition of someone to even find the motivation to continue. Everyone is different though but ultimately art is something done by the person, ideally daily... for years. No hugbox, abusive shithole or tutorial replace hours spent drawing and thinking.
>>
>>2688964
CA is concept art forums
They put art jobs onto that website too so its worth a browse occasionally. http://www.conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php/41-Sketchbooks
>>
The honest(and dishonest) mean comments flow freely here and it's nice.
I've tried using the art learning subs on reddit, but the sugar coating and protecting feelings are just too much there.
As fucking useless /ic/ can be, it's miles ahead of so many other places.
>>
>>2688964
Wc stands for wetcanvas. You can go on there and find some top tier art knowledge, but it was pretty dead last time I checked.

>>2688971
I agree with you 100%. The noobs that really love art will eventually have to learn how to take insults anyway and the ones that get discouraged would have never been able to take real critiques, I guess.
>>
>>2688848
> a lot of people here are unwilling to help noobs, but instead insult them.

>/beg/
>/abeg/
>Questions thread

?
>>
I'm an old artist but new here because of curiosity. I find this place incredibly toxic. I'm no stranger to critique, it's incredibly important to get used to that for any newbie, but most of the critiques here are not helpful in the slightest and often don't even make sense. It's a lot of pissing on whatever miniscule detail doesn't follow some arbitrary school of idealism or commercial draftsmanship ethic that pops into the posters mind, regurgitating various generalized rules, omitting any real solid advice and simply saying a piece is too "this", too "that". It seems like a lot of knee-jerk responses, taking safe pot-shots at others works in order to feel better about your own short-comings. All I know is I'd be incredibly discouraged if I was an aspiring teenager trying to make sense of this whole art thing. I see a lot of frustration here as well, unsurprisingly.

I still understand why people hang here as DA or Reddit are insufferable and the big old industrial art forums seem pretty dead and vacant of genuinely good artists. CA was fantastic though... about 10 years ago.
>>
>>2689155
Off the top of your head, any examples of unnecessary critique you've seen?
>>
>>2689155
The problem with art forums is that everyone who can give the good advice are busy working. I'm pretty sure that any anon on /ic/ that has "made it", doesn't post here as much or at all because they are too busy with work and other things. They have used /ic/ or whatever forum out there for what it was worth and they move on.
>>
>>2689155
>CA was fantastic though... about 10 years ago.
CA was full of the same types of nitpicks. The only difference is you could see who was posting them, and people were slightly nicer in general because they weren't as anonymous.
>>
>>2689170

Aside from the insults and blatantly lazy, unhelpful "perspective/anatomy/whatever is off, you need to study more" (EVERYBODY needs to study more, you stop studying when you're dead) and not offering any insight or advice beyond that, the common theme is that they all relate to the critics inability to actually assess a piece, it's possibilities, that its intentions may differ from their ideals, and simply glaze over it through the ethics of a particular style because they're so used to the inbred crowd throwing things at eachother according to those rules. Some of the worst offenders (in my opinion):

Anatomy paintovers that disregard variety of styles, or worse, aren't anatomically correct themselves

Throwing arbitrary perspective lines over a piece 'cause that's where YOU think the lines should go, ignoring a myriad of possibilities like shifting ground elevation, angle, lense width etc

Anything that has to do with flow and readability. They are important elements but only to a degree, the obsession with them stems from cartoons and industrial concept art/illustration and don't really matter much outside of those fields, and I keep getting the feeling anybody who brings it up doesn't actually understand what they're talking about. It's just the same with saying a piece lacks "story", "composition" and whatever else buzzword you caught hold of from the cool kids.

The whole "chicken scratching" meme. Ties in with the readability thing, obsession with line weight and clear lines from the comics and cartoons crowd, might be all the jazz in your favorite style. But it's just assimilated mechanics and not really indicative of any artistic ability. Sketchiness isn't bad, plenty of masters are/were sketchy as hell
>>
>>2689137
>?

this holy shit

Beginners only get shat on because they're so certain that they're not beginners, that they're "intermediate" or some fuck-all delusional category.

So certain of this that they do dumb shit like use their own pic in draw thread, make "just4mee!1" threads, refuse all the fucking resources and threads dedicated to them, and don't read anything.
>>
>>2689224
Appreciate the detailed reply.

The only really 100% unhelpful comments I've seen, imo, are those in the vein of "this is shit, you should know why and I won't tell you", and I suspect those are mostly trolling.

I agree that some of the advice is plain off. However, /ic/ seems to be largely aimed at learning fundies (as far as people asking for help/crits goes). When somebody wants to paint a cute girl and it ends up looking like a trap, 90% of the time it's not because of style but rather because they legitimately don't understand basic proportions. In that measure I don't think it's a sin paintings are being corrected towards certain "standards". Best case, you taught an anon some fundies (that they will be free to deviate from once they master them). Worst case, you "fixed" stuff somebody made intentionally, and if it was done intentionally, then they're smart enough to ignore what you said and laugh a little.

You gotta know the rules before you break them, right? I'm assuming we're both in agreement story and composition are real things, and you're just complaining they're poorly understood and explained. Are they necessary to a piece? I hope you'd say yes. The problem, in my mind, is that they're not thought about enough, and discussed in an intelligent way.

As a counter-example, I've seen a guy on here call atmospheric fog a "meme created by Walt Disney" and claim people didn't need it to clarify their pics because you can "look outside the window and paint from real life". The insanity goes both ways.

Sorry if this is disorganized, I'm pretty much writing my thoughts here and there.
>>
>>2688848
why does she have such a huge robot penis?
where can I get this hentai on the image
>>
>>2689137
Well hell, I didn't think of those at all.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.