[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Portfolios

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 1438616754469.jpg (553KB, 1920x1268px) Image search: [Google]
1438616754469.jpg
553KB, 1920x1268px
Does anyone have advice for making a portfolio online? Better to use wordpress or have one designed?

What amount and what kind of work should you concentrate on displaying for an illustration market? Any other advice?
>>
>>2686901
>Better to use wordpress or have one designed?
Use squarespace and make your own site with the domain as your name. It's the most professional way and takes no skill in building a site to get something that looks good since there are nice templates available.

>What amount and what kind of work should you concentrate on displaying for an illustration market?
Depends on what kind of illustration you want to get into. Having a focused portfolio is important. Only include your strongest pieces, it is better to have a small but strong portfolio than a large but inconsistent one.

>Any other advice?
Make it easy to contact you--have your email visible on every page of your site. It might be good to link to your tumblr or facebook or other sites you post on as well.
>>
http://dearartdirector.tumblr.com/tagged/portfolios

this is a good resource in general, but they talk a lot about portfolios.
>>
>>2686901
It depends on who you're trying to bait, it's not a broad display.
>>
>>2686910
I see, thank you. I'll take a look at squarespace and see what I can come up with, I already have a domain name paid for.
>>2686914
I'll read through it, thank you.
>>2686915
I'll have to revise what I'm going to display then, I'm sure applying to film would be different than what videogame studios would want for example. I'm only hesitant because I'm not sure where I can start breaking in and getting hired for smaller work.
>>
>>2686922
>I'm not sure where I can start breaking in and getting hired for smaller work
Find other artists who are a similar skill level and style to you, and see what companies they are working for. Then apply to those companies.
>>
http://magazine.artstation.com/2015/07/10-applying-concept-art-job/

>3. Have your portfolio reviewed

>Before applying for a job, have your work evaluated professionally. If you’re still a student, you can ask your teachers; or you can ask other industry professionals you know. [Some trade shows, like Trojan Horse was a Unicorn, also run portfolio review sessions – Ed.] Avoid asking family members or close friends: they may only tell you what you want to hear. Asking for constructive criticism early on will give you enough time to make any changes necessary.

>Here are a few good questions to ask:
>• Based on what you saw in my portfolio, what type of job do you think I will be best at?

>If the answer doesn’t line up with your expectations, the chances are that your portfolio does not convey your intent, that you do not have the right images in it – or worse yet, that the quality of those images isn’t up to industry standards. Either way, you will know that you have work to do.

>• What do you think are the strengths and weaknesses of my body of work?

>No matter what answer you receive, do not interrupt or try to defend your work – it must stand on its own! If you don’t like the response you get, ask what you need to practice in order to improve.

>• What else do I need in my portfolio to work in [industry sector X]?

>Whether you want to be a character, environment or prop artist, an experienced professional will know if you have what it takes to make it in your desired discipline.

>After hearing all of the feedback, take action. Don’t drag your feet or put it off: do it now!
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.