[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Figure Drawing For All It's Worth

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

File: FDFAIW.jpg (33KB, 318x437px) Image search: [Google]
FDFAIW.jpg
33KB, 318x437px
Has anyone here actually improved by using this book?
>>
no...because of this I seem to have developed the obsession with making the legs way longer than they should be.
8 heads figure size indeed!
>>
>>2682151
>8 heads figure size indeed!

This is what fucked me up in the beginning.
>>
>>2682150
Nobody really reads that book; it's the industries butt joke as to SICP for programming.
>>
File: CRZV_V4UYAAwNat.png (440KB, 600x742px) Image search: [Google]
CRZV_V4UYAAwNat.png
440KB, 600x742px
>>2682155
forgot my pic of course
>>
Yes, plenty. These people who want to convince themselves it's just a joke don't want to admit their failure and poor reading comprehension.
>>
File: 2016-09-16 11.02.59.jpg (233KB, 675x675px) Image search: [Google]
2016-09-16 11.02.59.jpg
233KB, 675x675px
>>2682150
I know I did. It hasn't even been a full year yet.
>>
>>2682179
How long has it been?
>>
>>2682179
You've been drawing for longer than a year though am I wrong? Otherwise it would pretty exceptionnal.
>>
File: 2016-09-16 11.16.15.jpg (337KB, 924x768px) Image search: [Google]
2016-09-16 11.16.15.jpg
337KB, 924x768px
>>2682179
Yep that book really is something now now that I think about it. I pretty much never bothered checking my growth until this thread.
>>
>>2682181
This figure >>2682192 on the left was the first figureing I ever did andvit was drawn on january 28, 2016. The reclining fat lady was drawn last week. So it's been 8 months.

>>2682184
And yes had been drawing before that. But the drawings were all beginner thread tier.
>>
>>2682197
Oh that's cool! I see myself as rather beginner tier but I really wanna improve so it's nice to see that there's still hope for me.
>>
File: Untitled.png (286KB, 1005x637px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
286KB, 1005x637px
>>2682154
>>2682151
I think this is just a problem with the layout of the book, he throws a ton of static frontal shots with super specific proportions in the beginning and everyone thinks thats what they need to study. But then this super simple and useful guide comes right after and gets ignored.

I wish people posted this thirds proportions instead of the 8 heads meme
>>
>>2682245
This is a goddamned hidden gem.
>>
>>2682245
I suffered from the same thing honestly.
>>
>>2682245
Would this be in the new edition as well?
>>
It's one of the best books on the subject IMO. It covers a lot more stuff than most books and it's for free. The drawings look very good too. It's clearly not the best book to learn muscles though, I found the plates to be kinda dated.
>>
File: Untitled.png (192KB, 992x487px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
192KB, 992x487px
>>2682255
Its in the female section page 54

It works for men too but its 4 sections and he doesn't lay it out like with females
>>
>>2682260
As stupid as it sounds I always get stuck on these, and am not sure what do with them.

Does it just help me get a feel for the figure? Should I build upon them? What do I do from this point onward?

Again sorry if this rather silly to ask
>>
>>2682261
Its in the book, loomis builds on the manniken proportions to show the use.

I'm not that good I have just been autisticlly stuck on proportions for a while now and notice these
>>
>>2682261
>Does it just help me get a feel for the figure? Should I build upon them?
Pretty much yeah. It's useful to know the simplified version of the body so you don't bother with the details too soon.
>>
>>2682273
That's fair. Imma give him another shot.
>>
Yes, I went through chapter 1 and drew all the diagrams and it helped me draw figures from imagination. What people often fail to do though (like me) is invent your own poses and figures using the methods.
>>
>>2682289
OP here. I can attest to that as it's hard to draw from imagination a lot.
>>
>>2682245
Holy shit, it all makes sense now. Is there a similar thing for facial structure?
>>
I can't tell if people in this thread are being ironic.
>>
>>2682303
It takes all kinds, senpai.
>>
>>2682150
Imo it's more of an intermediate book. I tried it as a beginner and it didn't help much, I only improved when I switched to Bridgman. Looking back at Loomis now I see it's good info, but not really fully accessible for a beginner.
>>
>>2682245
FDFAIW weaknesses, to me, is that it's too geared towards the male figure, and the female proportions are left undeveloped and inconsistant. (Is the waist/elbow 3/8 or 1/3 of the figure from the head? Is the crotch halfway or is that the "middle point?") But really, the idea behind learning proportions isn't that all figures have to be 8 heads or that they have to be x feet tall, as the book might imply. The key to learning proportions, I think, is to know the ratios between different parts of the body. It's not quite about learning that the fingers have to be exactly 4 and 1/3 heads below the top of the figure, it' about knowing that the arm goes just below the crotch. Otherwise it just looks deformed and off.

>>2682261
The mannequin is practice, so you can get to practice proportions, poses, and perspective without worrying that your figure looks ugly.
>>2682657
For the life of me I cannot understand how someone would not learn anything from Loomis but have it just click with Bridgman. Loomis has tons of diagrams and examples and if you follow the book in order, it takes you step by step though the entire process. It's perfect for beginners. Constructive anatomy on the other hand, keeps text and pictures completely separate, and starts infodumping shit right off the bat, which is all stuff you could really only apply once you're not a beginner. What is this special knowledge that Bridgman has that Loomis couldn't teach you much easier?
>>
>>2683035
>What is this special knowledge that Bridgman has that Loomis couldn't teach you much easier?
I found that Loomis' mannequins were causing my figures to be overly stiff and I couldn't pose them well and then translate that to the full figure. Loomis is also terrible for anatomy, he only has a few really bad diagrams that don't explain much and are really flat and even has a couple mistakes in it. Bridgman fully explains the anatomy in detail and emphasizes the planar qualities of things and groups muscles well. He also has his whole interlocking form thing that really helps out. He's worse for heads though.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.