[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how do i get away from my chicken scratch non committal line

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6

File: linequality[1].jpg (72KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
linequality[1].jpg
72KB, 1000x1000px
how do i get away from my chicken scratch non committal line habit when sketching?

i keep trying to make sure the proportion and shape, etc is right and dont commit to solid lines and just do short chicken scratchy line bullshit, is there a process or exercise to get away from this? Anyone else know what i mean?
>>
dunno senpai
>>
Go over the line multiple times*, you'll get it eventually.

*each time being one fluid line, not feathering
>>
Start drawing in pen

A good exercise to practice your lines is to draw a line or curve on a piece of paper and go over again 8 times. Crank a few pages out, and you'll notice your lines getting more and more precise with each one.
>>
Draw a lot with pen, make light but consistent lines and only remove your pen or pencil when you've finished the line needed in the form you are drawing. Of course, you can go over that line a couple more times lightly till you get a line you want, but keep it as a consistent line.
>>
>>2681129
>>2681120
>>2681130

thanks, im gonna try switching to pen for a bit to kind of force myself into it, any specific exercises to better judge accuracy/proportion?

should i get a specialty pen?
>>
>>2681113
>he doesn't spam undo 40 times per line trying to get it right
>>
>>2681135
What is this stablizer meme?
>>
>>2681132
Yes, you need a gold blade for it to work, otherwise all your proportions will be wrong.

I assume you already know about ebony sap ink.
>>
File: ref.png (105KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
ref.png
105KB, 1024x768px
>>2681137
>>
>>2681141
>scribble
>>
>>2681135
oy vey elaborate
>>
>>2681135
Nah, only use a stabilizer if you are doing very thin, fine line work after your sketching phase. Don't get used to using crutches. That will hinder your growth just do what you were initially going to. Also, any pen will work, and you can always switch back to a pencil when you get the hang of it. What you really need to get your mind used to is commiting to the line you're putting down. Eventually you won't be able to go back to chicken scratches even if you try.
>>
>>2681153
>get your mind used to is commiting to the line you're putting down.

i think thats fundamentally my problem that i have to get over
>>
>>2681113
Have stong knowledege about what you want to draw and be sure that you are confident about what you're going to draw. I don't see a problem chicken scratching while practicing something since your lines will be naturally not confident at all at first.
>>
>>2681155
Yep, just get used to doing some gestures with pens and you'll get over it pretty quickly. Do some quick 30-60 second gestures to help get over it faster seeing as you won't have time to chicken scratch.
>>
>>2681167
>have fun meme
Enjoy not making it tier.
>>
File: 1465616911146.jpg (61KB, 1000x800px) Image search: [Google]
1465616911146.jpg
61KB, 1000x800px
thanks for the help guys
>>
>>2681167

Enjoy your scratchy unappealing drawing no one can make heads or tails of because you won't be able to draw any detail worth a shit.
>>
>>2681162
>>2681167
I will say that, even if it seems like bait, the first anon is correct. There are no rules, only tools. That being said, you normally don't want something that helps you produce lines to become a crutch so that you can't do it yourself if that thing becomes unavailable. I also believe chicken scratch will greatly reduce your speed while you're out drawing people from life. It's a nasty habit worth breaking.

Still, I'm sure you wouldn't listen to somebody who puts "stfu" at the end of their post or refers to a technique as a "meme" anyways.
>>
In part chicken scratching is a product of a lack of confidence in your subject, when you're finicking about proportion and shape and you're not certain of what kind of line you want.

In that case stop, slow down, and think about what line you want before you do it. Ghost the line (IE do the motion without actually putting your pen/pencil down) a few times, then do it.

What you could try doing is sketching in light pencil however you like, then inking it with better linework. After long enough you can cut out the chickenscrachy underdrawing.
>>
>>2681135
stabilizer is like auto-aim
>>
>>2681144
>>
>>2681113
Just scan in your roughs and ink over them digitally. That's what I do.
>>
>>2681701
Might as well just do it all on digital.
>>
>>2681707
Sometimes I have a hard time conceptualizing digitally. It's easier on paper.
>>
>>2681716
You have that physical comprehension too? I don't really like how I have a natural affinity for it, but I hope I can get it to a high enough level that it drags my digital skills up too.
>>
>>2681719
Meh.

No matter how you tweak it, digital art will never have the delicacy of touch and sensitivity of the real world. Sometimes it's better to just draw on paper until you find something you like. Then, once you know what you want, you can work over it digitally.
>>
>>2681113
While one of my teachers would always get mad at me for my scratchy lines, I honesty do better drawing messy then cleaning it up afterwards.

Everyone has a different process who fucking cares? Be more worried if you can't clean the messy sketch up.
>>
>>2682041
The problem with scratchy lines is that they greatly slow down your sketching process. This wouldn't be an issue, but at some point you'll want to go out and get some life drawings. This often requires speed a precision. You want to capture gesture and the world around you and at times you'll only have a couple seconds to take it all in and put it on paper. To not have to worry about lines and be able to go right for the drawing is definitely something to strive for. You want to worry about how you interpret the scene in front of you, how accurately you can capture it and what you can learn from it. It might not be impossible, but I'd say it's very difficult when your busy focusing on creating simple lines to capture your form.
>>
>>2681113
Use a really light line when sketching and just don't take your drawing utensil off the canvas until your sketch is done.

Works with pencil and digital you will only see the dark lines through the scribble sketch
>>
>>2681135
>Profesional
>Stabilizer
Pick one
>>
>>2683083
nothing unprofessional about using a stabilizer for a tricky line here or there

you bitter fucker
>>
>>2683102
>lines
>being tricky
>ever
Get back to the fundies m8
>>
I think youll find that you have a deeper problem in your fear of commitment and lack of focus which is just expressing itself through your attempt at drawing. Fix yourself first then draw. When you live straight you will draw straight.
>>
File: 1472642677138.gif (1MB, 229x258px) Image search: [Google]
1472642677138.gif
1MB, 229x258px
>>2683104
>giving tips when you can't even draw
>>
>>2681113

slow down a little and try to draw longer consciously?
>>
>>2681141
LOL
>>
>>2681113
the /i/ invasion is great because we see more practice but still, /i/ belong in /i/
>>
Chicken scratching is such a shit meme.

Define chicken scratch as "multiple short strokes" or something similar and one could call innumerable sketches by the very best chicken scratch.

Define chicken scratch as "inconfident lines" and it becomes completely useless in a critique. All beginners are inconfident and by telling someone to stop chicken scratching you're about as helpful as telling them to stop making bad drawings.
>>
>>2685099
Un or Non* confident lines, anon
>>
>>2681113
Grow a pair. Practice contour drawing. Use pen. Quit being a sketchy dude. Gl hf dd
>>
File: 645634564.jpg (44KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
645634564.jpg
44KB, 600x600px
>>2681113
Chicken Scratch ain't bad, it just depends on what you're trying to achieve. Choose your workmethod...
> While sketching :
1. Chicken Skratch (Fast and reliable, lay down shapes and ideas quickly)
2. Clean lines (Slow and boring, gets lost in ideas, being stuck on lines and not the subject)
> While doing linework (Over the sketch) :
1. Chicken Scratch (Ugly ass cheap made linework)
2. Clean lines (Good looking, professional-looking lines)
3. Cleaned up Chicken Skratch (Perfect for painters who won't keep the lines in their work, will paint over some or use them as disposable reference).
>>
>>2681133
>Tfw I do this unironically whenever I try to draw anything with my tablet

I'm not gonna make it.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.