[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Calligraphy

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 5

File: 20160912_160644.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20160912_160644.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
Gonna redo an old favorite of mine, what arrangement is better (balance, emphasis, etc)? Pic is the original.

Also, post alphabets, pieces, references, everything callygraphy goes here.
>>
File: 20160912_160639.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20160912_160639.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Arrangement 1 (original one) I think the spacing is wonky at times, and looks haphazard in composition. Was made in a rush, really.
>>
Arrangement 2. I like the emphasis put on 'truth', and the flow of the reverse pyramid, but the symmetry and shape are kinda overused
>>
File: resize.jpg (254KB, 2016x996px) Image search: [Google]
resize.jpg
254KB, 2016x996px
>>2676829
Forgot file, lel
>>
File: dfgtd.jpg (481KB, 2822x2117px)
dfgtd.jpg
481KB, 2822x2117px
Arrangement 3. An 'update' to the original arrangement
>>
That emphasize on truth just scream for attention. Just leave it normal like the rest (also capital T? really?) It will appear more humble and less like some shitty televangelist sign
>>
>>2676825
The letter widths are all over the place and generally too wide for a quadrata, and the shape of the Y is really awkward. As for the composition, everything is too spaced out for such a tight style, it makes it look bland. If you want it to be more than just a practice piece you really need to tighten everything together and work on adding some flourishes and/or cadels.
>>
>>2676955
Thanks for the feedback. You are right, I didnt pay much attention to the letter spacing and it shows. Since I made this I have worked a bit on my letter consistency and should be a bit better on the second try.

I actually intentionally went for a more relaxed letter width in an attempt to make it more readable for people unaccustomed to gothic, but ended up looking lazy. Ill tighten it up a bit.

Do you know any online resources for flourishes and example alphabets? I have been trying to find sites that specialize in that but i have not had much luck in the past.
>>
File: 519e0n21FsL.jpg (37KB, 381x500px) Image search: [Google]
519e0n21FsL.jpg
37KB, 381x500px
>>2677045
This is a pretty good book to learn basic styles. A quick google search should give you a pdf.
It doesn't really help much with composing a page or inventing your own forms, but it's by far the best beginner resource I've found.
>>
>>2677138

Damn, I took a quick peek and its great, thanks. Lots of things that my old calligraphy teacher overlooked.
>>
>>2676825
>>2677045

I personally don't think you need Cadels or lots of flourishing to create a nice piece, but keep in mind that the more minimalistic your work is, the more bad spacing and letter widths will stand out. And bad spacing is pretty much the one thing you cannot get away with at all in gothic.

I have yet to find good resources that teach flourishing, so I mostly just look at old manuscripts, other peoples work, or experiment on my own.
However, I have gotten a really useful tip for working on consistency: Write a few practice pages on paper with a grid (don't know what the proper word for this is, sorry, not a native speaker - I mean the type used for maths). It won't look pretty, but it will make any inconsistencies obvious to you and you'll be able to work on them.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.