[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

sci-fi armor design

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 9

File: Enhanced_Combat_Helmet.jpg (531KB, 1372x1476px) Image search: [Google]
Enhanced_Combat_Helmet.jpg
531KB, 1372x1476px
i hope its okay to make a thread about this, but i wasn't sure where to really ask about this.
i wanna learn how to draw interesting modern looking armor (video game looking stuff) im not sure what to search for to study from. there are elements that concept artists use that basically make the armor look somewhat realistic, basically making it look like it makes sense.
would really appreciate any advice
>>
>>2674152
Most armor is constructed of the same types of pieces since it needs to cover the same things (torso, arms etc). You just need to modify the shapes to look cool. A lot of designers take inspiration from things like paintball armor or lacross gear or other sports and then change the shapes around a bit.
>>
>>2674161
thats actually pretty useful. thanks familia
its always good to have a starting point for this stuff
>>
File: 1421686469152.jpg (537KB, 1800x1224px) Image search: [Google]
1421686469152.jpg
537KB, 1800x1224px
>>2674152
Sometimes, you have to look back to look forwards.
>>
>>2674172
No problem. Other common things people do are look at insects and crustaceans for their exoskeleton shapes and modify that into human armor. People also will photobash with photos of machinery like maybe a motorcycle or something they take parts of that and stretch and morph it into new shapes to put over a human. Of course you can look at historical armors too, like Darth Vader's helmet is loosely based on samurai helmets.

When it comes to sci-fi though one of the most important things are the materials. Usually there will be a lot of metals, plastics, carbon fibre type things, maybe some durable cloth, or small lights or panels. Things like straps or velcro to hold the armor together are important too.
>>
File: TOWXFQY.jpg (148KB, 674x900px) Image search: [Google]
TOWXFQY.jpg
148KB, 674x900px
>>2674179
>People also will photobash with photos of machinery like maybe a motorcycle or something they take parts of that and stretch and morph it into new shapes to put over a human.
>>
>>2674176
i have that picture saved actually, from a reference thread
its pretty neat
>>
File: 1471495898669.jpg (47KB, 500x640px) Image search: [Google]
1471495898669.jpg
47KB, 500x640px
>>2674190
Military photos are always the best kind of references.
>>
>>2674183
Have you seen Rigney's new(ish) piece that has a reference to mr conceptart or whatever that guy goes by?
>>
>>2674199
No.
>>
>>2674206
>>
>>2674152
a few things i always keep in mind when drawing armor:
1. what is the purpose of each certain piece of armor - i cringe when i see lots of designs that have extraneous parts that dont really need to be there

2. How would this function in battle? there more parts you put together the more you have to figure out what they do and how they move
and on the contrary - drawing half naked chicks with a metal bikini doesnt make sense

3. and the 70/30 rule. 70% of your design should be fairly simple and easy to look at and 30% should be intricate and detailed - this is the easiest on the eye

hope this helps
>>
>>2674183
lmao, surprisingly it works
>>
>>2674152
1. find a photo of a us marine
2. find photos of various civilian and military machines
3. paste select parts of aforementioned machinery on the marine to get that high tech greeble exoskeleton armor look. make sure it's all sand brown.
>>
File: 1361372.jpg (140KB, 1144x1920px) Image search: [Google]
1361372.jpg
140KB, 1144x1920px
>>2674419
This.

Also easy traps to fall into.

>muh big clunky boots for no reason
>muh big bulky shoulderpads
>muh greebles and random pasted on bullshit everywhere for no reason
>ill try copying a suit from popular fiction with the name filed off thats a good trick

Also take a peak at the workings of historical armour.
>>
File: Bravo 343.png (1MB, 1139x963px) Image search: [Google]
Bravo 343.png
1MB, 1139x963px
dont draw shit like this
>>
>>2676284
it looks like specially designed camo for infiltrating a sex shop
>>
File: image.jpg (519KB, 1920x2342px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
519KB, 1920x2342px
Best pulloff of this I've seen to this date is Deus Ex. But in general avoid things that dont have a utilitarian use.
>>
File: image.jpg (166KB, 612x792px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
166KB, 612x792px
>>2677770
>>
>>2677770
Concept art from deus ex is my all time favourite. It's magnificent
>>
>>2677770
>utilitarian use
What
>>
>>2676284
>random gap in plating right over the kneecap
>tiny plate between the gut and pubis that leaves both belly and groin exposed

and that's ignoring all the other wonky shit

but the worst part is, it's not even sacrificing function for fashion, this looks like fucking garbage
>>
>>2676284
But that's just for a game where the suit is just for looks.
>>
>>2678768
>design suit for looks
>suit looks like shit

really fires my neurons
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.