[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

critique

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: dsc03218.jpg (978KB, 725x981px) Image search: [Google]
dsc03218.jpg
978KB, 725x981px
i am a self taught traditional painter , i studied art in highschool but never finished. my style as i like to describe it is dalì's surrealism mixed with kandinsky's colours. i would like to know how should i proceed in order to get visibility and hopefully start selling my paintings?
>>
>>2671385
First read some Loomis books, study some old masters and read Color and Light by James Gurney to improve your painting skills. Keep a blog about your progress so people can see you getting better and you get some exposure from that as well.
>>
This,>>2671928 op. You look promising, but you also look like you still got stuff to learn.
>>
>>2671928
>>2671987
How does one set up such blog?
Where?
>>
>>2671928
Stop with Loomis. 4chan only knows Loomis, he isn't the best at all. What about Bridgman, Loomis' teacher ?
>>
>>2672022
bridgman sucks, he needs more loomis.
>>
>>2672022
> 4chan only know Loomis
Yeah beginners love talking about Loomis, that's the only tip they know. But generally they all draw like shit.
>>
>>2672022
Because Loomis is a good place to begin imho. I think his methods are the easiest to understand if you're complete beginner.
Bridgman is also good, but the way he does faces is awful. His gestures however are great.

The way I see it is that people should learn loomis first because the way he teaches construction is effective, and after they've learned that from loomis, they should go and learn from other artist like bridgman and others.

That's whats been effective for me. Please share how you learned the ways of the art, if you don't mind.
>>
>>2671385

Hi OP,

please ignore the Loomis comments. "Needs more Loomis." is the catch-all phrase of people who are clever enough to see that something is not quite right with a picture, but lack the intelligence to coherently describe what is wrong, and clearly explain how to correct it.

The problem is that, at this stage, you still lack the experience to skillfully communicate the idea you wish to express. Realistic and correct rendering of the human figure is not the biggest issue at this point.

- You have chosen to work representational, but I can not read your painting. I can distinguish a male and female figure, but I can't tell if the male figure has orange fur on his back or if it is fire. Is the woman's head a rose or a cabbage? I can't really tell.
- Likewise, the background is so smudgily rendered that I have no idea what it is. Is it abstract, or are there clouds there?

I would recommend spending more time on rendering. This will not only help communication, but also result in something more technically pleasing.
>>
>>2672531

continued.

- The male's head draws my attention, because it is the only area that has crisp, sharp lines and the highest contrast. Deep black and bright, saturated orange. There is no other element to counterbalance this part, except for the deep blue circle in the top right. so, I assume there is a connection between those two parts. Is there? It confuses me.
- The only two areas that use strong red linework are the letters 'Ti Amo' and the tendrils between the bodies. I understand there is a connection there as well. 'I love you', I guess it means. Honestly, this text looks terribly placed and is superfluous, like a bad cartoonist feeling the need to add labels to his drawings because the reader won't understand him otherwise. If the theme is love, or any variation thereof, it is easy enough to express it visually.

I would sugggest that, when you are still sketching, to spend a lot of time refining your design, and think hard about visual communication and symbolism, so that what you want to express, be it some idea, message or emotion is clearly understandable. Of course, you can decide at times to be vague, or try to evoke a sense of mystery, but that is not the same as causing confusing. This too takes time to learn.
>>
>>2672018
tumblr is fine
>>
>>2672537
This is definetly something i can work on.. Thank you a lot for the constructive critics.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.