[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I study art?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: bobbymaru.png (183KB, 400x289px) Image search: [Google]
bobbymaru.png
183KB, 400x289px
Before someone tells me to "read the sticky", the problem I've been having in term of learning is how to manage in terms of both hours and study method towards both Bridgman and Loomis books.
Do you guys read chapter-by-chapter like every book, have like a case of exercise repetition, read in any order that suits you; I know that this might sound dumb on my behalf, especially with the subject, but I'm just asking for help.
>pic unrelated
>>
>>2671257
3 hours minimum. I just have my notebook in front of me or paint open until I want to draw again, while listening to podcasts or something
>>
File: Screenshot_3.png (26KB, 1072x351px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_3.png
26KB, 1072x351px
Lately I'll read through a book, taking notes on key pieces of advice as I go. Once I think I've taken notes on enough useful advice I try to apply it using my notes, and if the notes are insufficient I reread the chapter. Eventually, ideally, you internalize it and don't need the notes anymore either.

Even reference books I'd say it's worth reading them front to back at least once so you know where everything is, but I keep a copy of Bridgman's guide to drawing from life nearby to reference random bits of anatomy as needed, too, and you can do this for any book you're familiar with that you know addresses your problem.

Putting it into your own notes is still more helpful than just keeping the book nearby though, it makes you get to the meat of what the person is trying to teach you rather than just skimming it and realizing you didn't internalize anything. I've been trying to take a lot more notes lately, and once the notes get unwieldy I plan to condense them into more concise notes and hopefully improve my understanding that way.

Like for example I'm reading framed ink right now so I just take down tidbits of his advice as I go. Just make sure you don't stop there and actually try to apply the knowledge, sometimes stuff sounds super simple and intuitive in theory and it's a bitch to do in practice.
>>
>>2671331

Also not that anybody in their right mind should be using my notes to actually learn anything but just to be clear I mistakenly wrote "right to left" instead of "left to right"
>>
>>2671341
>implying all my years of manga isn't normal
It's the west that has it wrong
>>
>>2671257
>how to manage in terms of both hours and study method towards both Bridgman and Loomis books.
Study method: Read the text, then copy out each drawing. Redraw them from memory. Correct them by checking the source material. Take notes if necessary. Continue to next chapter or section.

Hours: Doesn't really matter. You probably want at least 30 minutes or an hour though to be able to sit and do it properly without rushing. After about 2 or 3 hours you will probably notice diminishing returns in terms of what you are learning. It is more important to do it daily than it is to do it for long periods of time.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.