[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to colour like Krenz

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 11

you're welcome
http://www.bilibili.com/video/av5898890/
>>
Why would I even want to have this cheesy shitty animu look in my artworks?
>>
>>2671180
because your art is definitely worse.
>>
>>2671168
>lopsided boobers
>generic animu

No thanks.
>>
>>2671180
the video is about colouring technique not drawing aminu style you retard,it takes the same fundamentals to draw appealing character anyways, animu or not.
>>
>>2671168
>81 minutes long
I can't manage to download the video using UnPlug. Any other way?
>>
>paid for Krenz's Gumroad stuff
>Learn more from random chink websites with his workshops
>>
>bilibili
That's some chinese niconico?
>>
>>2671852
It's japan's biribiri.
>>
>>2671203
Yeah, the coloring technique to achieve the vomit inducing look like in the OP, sick vid bro.
>>
>>2672417
Work
>>
So, how does he do the coloring in a nutshell?
>>
>>2672433
It's pretty obvious from the picture.
>>
>>2672433

LAB Mode
>>
>>2672621
he used the "animu girl" brush?

>>2672639
thanks
>>
>>2671619
try JDownloader

it download in parts though (14 FLV... lol!)
>>
>>2671180
>>2671200
>>2672417
you clearly are not interested into animu so why feel the need to click on this thread?
>>
we've had like 30 fucking threads about krenz and ruan jia i thought you bitches would know how to color like them by now
these threads are just spam at this point
>>
>>2676116
>we've had like 30 fucking threads about krenz and ruan jia i thought you bitches would know how to color like them by now
Fuck, made me laugh
>>
>>2671168
more like this
>>
It's in fucking chinese OP, no subs or anything at least?
>>
>>2679048
At least learn Chinese
>>
How could i download this?
>>
>>2671168
>he mentions scott robertson while talking about blocky things
nice
>>
File: after_SR.jpg (78KB, 1000x409px) Image search: [Google]
after_SR.jpg
78KB, 1000x409px
>>2679481
Even Mullins has studied Scott Robertson. He's a pretty famous teacher and has been around a long time. His books from the last couple years really helped him become wider spread too, so it's no surprise that someone who has good perspective knows of Scott.
>>
File: China.png (946KB, 1400x5552px) Image search: [Google]
China.png
946KB, 1400x5552px
>>2679086
>>
>>2671168
Nice but fucking useless. I ain't going to spend 1 hour trying to figure out what he's ching chong talking.
>>
>>2671168
>http://www.bilibili.com/video/av5898890/

How can you download this video?
>>
>>2679514
Fuck china and everyone in it. I am no longer mad at Japan for pre WW2 activity
>>
File: 1470234661629.png (257KB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
1470234661629.png
257KB, 720x404px
>>2672639

What is this LAB mode and why is everyone memeing about it lately? And what advantage does it have? Coloring is basically adding the required color in the required area, like this:

>>2679486

So why is LAB mode any better than just normal painting? And why does OP post that video if nobody will fucking understand it?
>>
>>2672433
>tfw Taiwanese
He uses subtle shifts in color/saturation, while also making sure that the perceived values are the same.

Basically, go nuts with color as long as the values are preserved.

Also, fuck china
>>
>>2679631
LAB mode just mixes the colours differently. If you lay a transparent colour over another the results you get in RGB vs LAB are really different. LAB tends to keep things brighter and more saturated. That said, I've heard that LAB doesn't print well and that people who have tried using it on client work have had major issues and had to repaint it in RGB and stuff and made themselves look like idiots.
>>
>>2679631
Lightness takes human perception of brightness into account whereas value is just a linear scale of light to dark

monitor output is rgb & print is variations of cmyk, so the stuff lab does well doesn't really matter that much. the color space you use isn't really relevant outside of personal preference. jia, linran & jana use rgb, mullins and dice both use hsb, (which is just a gimped version of rgb) nox uses lab intermittently
>>
>>2679781
you're confusing Image Mode (such as LAB, RGB, CMYK) and color sliders.

>jia, linran & jana use rgb, mullins and dice both use hsb

they all paint in RGB mode. you can have a different color sliders thou, but color mixing will be RGB (colors lose saturation via mixing). different type of sliders may help you be better at picking curtain colors or shifting temperatures without affecting actual value, but it's a different story.
>>
>>2679514
I would laugh these posts off as a troll, but then I remember that some people complained a few years ago how all their usual sources for bar stock where suddenly flooded with cheap chinese shit and the sources went out of business.
>>
File: it's supposed to be red.jpg (89KB, 1348x545px) Image search: [Google]
it's supposed to be red.jpg
89KB, 1348x545px
>>2679699
>>2679781
>>2679795
How does one actually paint in LAB? All the blend modes work on some batshit insane principles, multiply turns things blue but not black, the sliders refuse to go all the way to black or white, and a lighter shade of red can be magenta, yellow, orange, beige or actual light fucking red. Is it just for quick color adjustments, are the sliders even designed for human use? What is the math behind all of that? Is it even math or rather pagan blood magic?
>>
>>2679612
that was commie China and it wasn't even industrialized back then..
>>
So the Chinese secret is do an under-painting in greyscale and use blendmodes to get crazy colors.

Since all blendmodes some how operate on brightness values of the pixels it makes sense to work in RGB which basically a colorized ordering of 256 levels of grey. It helps to know the values that are unaffected by certain blendmodes

Black give no change in Screen, Dodge, Lightness, Difference, and Exclusion

White give no change in Multiple, Burn, and Darken

50% Grey gives no change in Overlay, Soft and Hard Light
(this is what Chinese use the most)

Normal and Dissolve, Hue, Saturation, Color, and Luminosity affect all colors.
>>
>>2682812
You'll need to post examples and citations of different chinese artists to prove your hypothesis, anon. I'll be waiting, we've got all the time in the world.
>>
>>2682814
It's not a chinese secret, but it is a common way of working and lots of asians use it. Ruan's old work used it a ton for example. If you look at streams of chinese artists you will see a lot of them build colour this way, I remember HGJ doing it and I've seen some others whose names I don't know.
>>
File: Untitled-2 copy.png (20KB, 860x578px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-2 copy.png
20KB, 860x578px
>>2682746
blend modes are just the mathematical operations that are gonna be enacted on the layers when showing the final image. they're not supposed to "turn things blue or black".
Lab mode has 3 monochrome channels, L stands for Lightness, a is a gradient between magenta and green and b from yellow to blue. As you can see in this picture there is a lightness of about 50%, and one black dot and one white dot in each layer.
>>
File: 1473367042911 copy.jpg (456KB, 1100x778px) Image search: [Google]
1473367042911 copy.jpg
456KB, 1100x778px
>>2682746
>>2683227
Lab mode is useful because by making the entire Lightness layer monochrome grey, thus removing all lighting information, you can see the "pure colors" of the picture so to speak.
>>
File: lab_blend2.jpg (180KB, 2372x822px) Image search: [Google]
lab_blend2.jpg
180KB, 2372x822px
>>2682746
Short answer: You paint in grayscale and then paint color on top with Color blend mode layer.

Long answer: LAB is pretty different from RGB in a sense that 100% lightness in LAB doesn't mean pure white all the time.

For example, brilliant Yellow Light is 255 255 0 in rgb, you just max out red and green, and that's because RGB is about the brightness of every light in a 3light element on your monitor.

So, if you just max out red, make it 255 0 0, it'll be just 54 Lightness in LAB and so on.

Lab let's youedit lightness and color information in a human system, instead of a semi-artificial RGB or CMYK that work based on point emiting light or paint covering a dot.

What it does for you is LAB allows for more accurate Lightness editing, unlike RGB, that's going all over the place with Lightness when using things like Color blend mode.

It also allows you to edit your color and Lightness separately more easily and accurately.
>>
File: pomer.jpg (92KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
pomer.jpg
92KB, 600x400px
>>2682746
>>2683242
Now it may not sound like that much big of a deal, but the fact is is that LAB is closer to traditional than other colorspaces and i'm surprised it's not being used and supported as it should be in some hardcore digital software.

LAB mode is not a meme, but it sure tries to be every time some chinese looking picture with desaturated shadows comes up, it's merely a tool for some specific tasks, since the last time we've had discussion about it, i couldn't find any features of LAB that make it an absolute neccessary thing for every digital artist to switch to, but i've found it a lot more useful than it may seem at first (especially in my field of work, since it's not exactly digital painting).

There's a lot of usefulness to be found in LAB when retouching and fixing your painting though. You can fix broken values, keeping your hues safe, you can add contrast and easily shift your color temps, remove noise, add sharpness and so on.

Of course, you can do all of that in other color spaces, but you really should try what's the difference between LAB and every other mode is for yourself.
>>
File: value_vs_lightness2.png (62KB, 1016x376px) Image search: [Google]
value_vs_lightness2.png
62KB, 1016x376px
This also ties in with a lot of other random pieces of advice you can get on controlling colors in digital (like pic related that tells you to pick color in a curve) or color grading that anons did a week ago, or all the time some chinese artist is posted (they also use Color mode, but not LAB, it seems).

Try different things and don't be afraid to delve deeper into the medium, you're not going to get worse because of that.

With all that said, i want to repeat again that LAB is not a meme cure-all for your color problems and it won't make you paint like ancient chinese masters, they paint the way they paint because they know how the end result should look, and only partially because of the tools they use, so try out LAB and read what it does, and then apply it if neccessary (i'd love every artist to switch to LAB though, it's a beautiful thing), but don't go around spouting it's going to make you tonnes better.

>inb4 loomis-autists swarming the thread again.
>>
>>2682746
In most color modes, brightness as humans perceive it changes when you change the hue or saturation. In LAB it doesn't, which means that changing colors (hues) or saturation doesn't make parts of the painting appear darker or brighter.

Trying LAB out blindly doesn't get you anywhere. It's an advanced topic where you have to learn, like pretty much everything else in painting.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.