[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

pic unrelated

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: anne.png (389KB, 497x515px) Image search: [Google]
anne.png
389KB, 497x515px
hello my friends,

i want to ask you a question about commission pricing. I know alot of people who post here are generally working on commision, but I wanted to ask if there was some rule of thumb as to pricing a commission vs pricing something that someone just decided to buy? I would like you can charge more for commission, but do you know if there is a set etiquette for it?

someone baught a painting of mine for 300$ and now they want to hire me to paint a portrait of theirs from photo. if it is the same seize should I charge like, 40% more, or what seems fair to you?
>>
>>2669684
>alot of people who post here are generally working on commision

My fucking sides.
>>
Commission work should be more costly as it usually involves special requests/additional work and occasionally new supplies.

I usually go by

(cost of materials)+[(time spent)x(my hourly rate)]=(cost of sold piece)

for pieces sold. adjusted of course of it's a one-off, if it's something mass produced like a print, and the comparative cost to similar work that's being sold out there. Cost of materials can also include not just the consumables used in the piece (clay, paint, etc) but part of the cost of studio space and tools used.

For a commission

(cost of materials)+[(time spent)x(my hourly rate)]+(additional flat rate)=(cost of sold piece)

would be the way to go. The additional flat rate is up to you and can be adjusted by the complexity/difficulty of the piece. I like to think of it as the "pain and suffering fee," especially if the client is picky/hard to work with.
>>
File: Female Viet Cong Warrior c.1972.jpg (380KB, 1155x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Female Viet Cong Warrior c.1972.jpg
380KB, 1155x1600px
>>2669707

this additional flat rate thing seems like it could be a recipe to get hosed? i assume you are talking about somewhat illustrative small scale work?
>>
>>2669775
What are you saying?
>>
>>2669775
I make small scale sculptures, mostly from original models I sculpted, then cast, then add additional designs/detail etc.

If a client has a commission work that's falls pretty well into what I usually do, I generally drop the "additional flat rate" since I don't really need to go out of my way to make this piece for them and doesn't require much additional effort/research/thought/etc on my part. If it's something very complicated or difficult that interrupts my normal production schedules, requires additional research/effort etc. on my part, or various other additional labors, then I tack on the additional rate. I think I should not have called it "flat" as it is open to change.

Also if the client is making the commission difficult through waffling, stalling, asking for changes that require me to start over or some other bother, I'll increase that additional rate for my troubles. I will say though, in general clients are easy to work with as long as you keep communication open and honest and don't make unrealistic promises.

Generally once I've talked to my client for a bit about what they have in mind, I'll give them a tentative quote and work from there.

My friends who work Cons and do illustrative work tend to have a flat fee for prints they sell as well as a flat fee for commissions based off of the of the first formula

(cost of materials)+[(time spent)x(my hourly rate)]=(cost of sold piece)

But they will add the "additional rate" if the piece is more complex/difficult than their usual fare.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.