[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

About 18 months ago now I hurt my hand, I was pretty sure it

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: 1442688392134.jpg (54KB, 625x468px) Image search: [Google]
1442688392134.jpg
54KB, 625x468px
About 18 months ago now I hurt my hand, I was pretty sure it was some sort of RSI but by the time the NHS got around to doing any tests it was much better so they ended up shrugging and saying it didn't look like anything was wrong.

Anyway it seems a lot better nowadays but there's still times when I get aches and pains and it cramps up a lot if I do anything too fiddly, problem is I really want to get back into drawing but I'm terrified of fucking up my hand again.

Anyone have any experience with RSIs/carpal tunnel or that sort of thing? Is 18 months a typical recovery time because although it's much better my hand still doesn't feel the same as it used to and I'm doubting it ever will. I used to draw holding the pencil the same way most people write, would switching to that overhand grip (since I'm going to be basically starting from scratch anyway) be the best way to avoid future injuries?
>>
no one?
>>
>when you feel pain, rest
>after a big period of rest, do recovering exercises
give your body time to adapt to long schedules
>>
>>2669233

My hand lights on fire and starts shaking if I draw too much which is just about everyday

I just take painkillers and dull the pain and keep on working

Set your tablets pressure sensitivity to max if that's what you're using avoid using your wrist for drawing/painting

also you could look into carpal tunnel braces, The pressure is soothing.
>>
>>2669233
A lot of repetitive stress injuries are pretty chronic or take a long time to heal, or may never fully heal. Sounds normal what you are describing.

>I used to draw holding the pencil the same way most people write, would switching to that overhand grip (since I'm going to be basically starting from scratch anyway) be the best way to avoid future injuries?
I don't think changing grip is necessary, but having an overhand grip might take the wrist out of the equation so could help. Maybe pay attention if you do certain things that are bad like being overly tense or doing tons of tiny strokes entirely from the wrist.

Honestly the best thing to do is regular wrist stretching (youtube is full of videos for this) and regular physical exercise for your entire body (weightlighting or bodyweight).

If you are extraordinarily paranoid you can start training your left hand to draw as well, but be careful in this and start slow as it is easy to injure your off hand since it is not as used to being used.
>>
>>2669461
>I just take painkillers and dull the pain and keep on working
How to Permanently Fuck Yourself Up 101
>>
>>2669490
well this is my job
thats life dude
>>
>>2669493
Yeah and if you push through the pain you'll hit a wall in a few years and will never be able to pint again. Think of it as a career and not a job.
>>
File: k.png (51KB, 384x313px) Image search: [Google]
k.png
51KB, 384x313px
>>2669500
>>
>>2669464

I actually ended up fucking up my left hand too, first doctor I went to advised me to rest my right hand and make do with using my left for a while and just doing everyday shit started to cause it to hurt in a very similar way. I think I might be prone to these kind of injuries, maybe taking it slow and having lots of breaks is the only way for me.

Sucks though since the journey to getting good is going to be so much longer and I'm in constant fear of never being able to draw properly again.

I can't help but think how good I would be right now if I'd still been drawing for the last 18 months, I was enjoying it and actually developed a pretty good work ethic for once.

Thanks for the advice though, I'll try and get a stretching/massage routine going, I already lift and although it seemed kind of counter intuitive to the healing process I actually think it's been one of the main reasons my hands have got better.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.