[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the best tools to use to color drawings in your sketchbook?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

File: tumblr_nc63b8oAUc1s253uio1_500.jpg (157KB, 500x680px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nc63b8oAUc1s253uio1_500.jpg
157KB, 500x680px
What are the best tools to use to color drawings in your sketchbook?
>>
Watercolor pencils.

You can use them try for the typical colored pencil look or you can hit them with a wet brush to make washes.
>>
>>2666911
what about markers?
>>
>>2666925

Markers are good but very expensive.
>>
Assuming you have good enough paper, a watercolor box and waterbrush. Otherwise, handpick a few pencils or maybe waterbrushes filled with ink.
>>
>>2666944
i have school money so what should i try to get
>>
>>2667034

If you're buying markers it makes no sense to buy anything but Copics.

Copics are the best product. They have the widest color range and they have the highest quality nibs. They're also the most economical, as the other big brand (Prisma) only manufactures disposable markers. In the long term Copics are much cheaper than Prismas.

They're also much more ubiquitous than Letrasets, Spectrum Noirs and other comparable brands which makes buying replacement ink and parts much less of a hassle.

You buy a set of Copics, you have those markers for life.

If you want to start with them a set of greys is a good way to go. Cool grey is the most popular but neutral grey is truly neutral which is an advantage.

If you're looking to add color then greys don't help you. When you buy color it gets much more complicated. There are eleven color families, including earth tones, and you'll want a blending set (at least three markers of sequential value) from each family. That's a good way to start. The blending sets you choose are based on the kind of coloring you want to do. Look up the Copic color chart and figure out what colors stand out to you.
>>
>>2666993
What's a good watercolor set that gives you vibrant colors and isn't $400?
>>
>>2667157
Get a good student-grade set to start with (Akademie, Van Gogh or Cotman), then as you use it up you can refill with tubes of better quality stuff if you feel you need it.
>>
File: Hydrus.jpg (1MB, 3000x1960px) Image search: [Google]
Hydrus.jpg
1MB, 3000x1960px
>>2667157

Get a set of Dr Ph Martin Hydrus.

It's the most vibrant pigment-based watercolor you can buy. The paints are liquids with extremely highly concentrated artist-quality pigments, all of which are lightfast and permanent. Since they're so concentrated you only need to work with them a drop at a time so they last forever, far longer than tube or pan paints. A 12-color set of 1/2 oz bottles runs for $50 on Blick.
>>
>>2667231
They're also not portable at all. I would fill waterbrushes with these rather than treat them like normal watercolors.
>>
File: 00378-1009-1-2ww-m.jpg (9KB, 300x272px) Image search: [Google]
00378-1009-1-2ww-m.jpg
9KB, 300x272px
>>2667157
a 24 color half pan set from W&N won't cost much more than $100

I guess it might be overkill if you're doing hobbyist stuff
Pic related is pretty inexpensive and comes with everything you need for painting on the go.
>>
>>2667320
The Sakura set is surprisingly good considering how cheap it is, but those plastic boxes are real bad. I wouldn't recommend anything where you can't remove the pans.
24 colors is way overkill for anything, you should be mixing instead of using them straight up.
>>
>>2667156
Is there a good copics marker tutorial?
>>
>>2667309

They're too thick to fill waterbrushes with. I guess you could dilute them but then you have to pay for waterbrushes for each color. The better portable option for these are a folding pallet with a dozen wells. Fill the wells with paint, let them set up and now you have pans to take on the go.
>>
>>2667320
I have the Winsor Newton one with 10 colors. It's a nice travel lot but the paint itself isn't as vibrant as I'd like it to be.
>>
>>2667412
The W&N artist grade are pretty much as good as it gets, along with Schmincke and Rembrandt, if you don't want to spend lots of money on Blockx or Old Holland. If you're using high chroma pigments but they're still coming out dull you probably have a different issue. Maybe you're using too much water, or cheap paper.
>>
>>2667334
yeah i like the sakura box thing to, it comes with the water brush and what not. i mix it without thinking so i don't use a lot of the colors in it haha.
>>
File: wnpocket.jpg (31KB, 600x285px) Image search: [Google]
wnpocket.jpg
31KB, 600x285px
got this shit for $10 on ebay and it's my absolute favorite to use. if im going anywhere, i bring my waterbrush as well. It's really small too so everything fits in a pencil pouch.
>>
>>2667345

I just watched Kim Jung Gi used them over and over until I sort of got what he was doing. Just watch anyone coloring with them and learn how color works in general. Keep studying that and you should be good.
>>
why not try gouache? if you want vibrant watercolors i think gouache is more favorable..
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.