[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

plebs on animation

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: laika-stop-motion.jpg (60KB, 450x288px) Image search: [Google]
laika-stop-motion.jpg
60KB, 450x288px
Why do Americans seem to have much more respect for stop motion animation than for traditional 2d animation?
"so much time and patience must have gone into to moving those little figurines!"
>>
at the end of the day, it looks better.
>>
talking out of your ass again, do you OP? stop with the generalization.
Laika is doing very good work indeed, but can you confirm your statement by naming other big production studios?
also, eastern europe and the former soviet union were pioneers when it comes to stop motion.

look at works from jan svankmajer, jiří trnka and ladislas starevich

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FpcPwPIJto
>>
>>2662539
I'm not saying they're not doing good work, and I believe they work very hard. what I mean is that it seems that Americans need an excuse or gimmick to appreciate time grueling animation. good hand drawn animation can be just as tedious if not more so, but you never hear anything about it cause either people dont understand what goes into 2d animation or they simply dont care
>>
>>2662554
>Americans need an excuse or gimmick to appreciate time grueling animation

Disney's Nine Old Men are American
>>
>>2662557
as if the average American could name one of them or are even aware that there are nine old man
>>
>>2662520
Thanks OP, you reminded me of a Japanese stop motion flim I've been searching for for the past 5 years and I've found it today.

Anyway, to answer your question, maybe it's because it's a more stylistic choice in a sense, and while many people do not actually know what goes on behind the scenes of 2D animation, they can understand the difficulty of physically animating objects to the point of fluid animation. Not to mention these movies usually have more interesting stories that tend to be more engaging (eg. coraline - basing this off the book I read, not the actual movie)
>>
>>2662554
But Laika films do mediocre at the box office, the average movie goer doesn't give two shits about stop motion vs 2D, it's just that Laika is founded and funded my the son of the CEO of Nike as a passion project, it's a company that really is in it for the art.
>>
>>2662520
Two words:

Tim Burton.

Average teen faggots give two more fucks about stop motion after "Nightmare before chrostmans".
>>
>>2662571
>Japanese stop motion flim I've been searching for
ooh, whats it called?
>>
File: 1450361588612.jpg (13KB, 387x309px)
1450361588612.jpg
13KB, 387x309px
>>2662615

Are you sniffing your copics again, anon?
>>
>>2662520
the effort looks more obvious
>>
Anon, what the fuck are you on about. The people who adore Stop Motion are generally the same people who adore 2D animated things. I haven't seen anyone talk about Kubo outside of the animation/art circles I follow. It's underappreciated as a medium.
>>
>>2662520
because
>for drawing you need ''talent'', and if you have ''talent'', then 2D animations are just as breathing to you
and
>anybody could do stop motion, long as they put the effort into it
>>
File: fantastic_mr_fox-975530423-large.jpg (183KB, 809x1200px) Image search: [Google]
fantastic_mr_fox-975530423-large.jpg
183KB, 809x1200px
>>2662615
Kind of this.

People sucks Tim burton's dick, almost as retards suck Seth MacFarlane's inexistent testicles...

So yes, as long as those movies have some creepy edgy Tim Burton feel, they're going to praise them no matter what.

Not all of stop motion films are acknowledged by 'mericans. See pic related, lots of positive reviews.
>>
>>2662677
Nobody I know appreciates this movie even my friends who actually kind of like animation. Americans and animation are a weird relationship, if it's not something well established or cgi for children it's almost non existent offline. Pretty sad desu.
>>
>>2662702
There's nothing wrong with either animation for children or cgi. The issue is that that's the entire extent of it in the US, or it is incredibly poorly animated and used to tell jokes (Family Guy, Bojack etc).
>>
>>2662707
It is an issue, we have just the two extremes and that's it. I mean I like both but it'd be nice to have more experimentation that isn't either of those.
>>
>>2662616
Kumaneko
I really liked the textures and the cats used. It's very similar to Domo, that big brown bear creature.
>>
>>2662713
>but it'd be nice to have more experimentation that isn't either of those.

Wait 10 years m8, when I become famous.
>>
>>2662677
better movie than any of burtons' crap. also we have europeans to enjoy 2d animation. so don't worry.
>>
>>2663364

Please... PLEASE.

We're counting on you anon.
>>
>>2662520
Because 2D is easier.

Stop motion is like doing 2D and live action at the same time.
>>
>>2667755
Let's think about it:

2d animation takes a team of skilled animators (keyframe, inbertween, colorists) where everyone knows both their principles (animation) and their execution (drawing)

while stopmotion takes a smaller team of skilled animators and sculptors on their specific subject (sculpting and photography).

Is easier for one or two to master straight ahead animation required for stop motion than 10 people to master pose to pose, so in the long run one takes to learn more subjects to be able to execute than the other.

I like both but to be honest it is fucking sad that 2d is dying the way it is.
>>
>>2662707
Well, good 2d animation is harder to make, so they mostly use 3d for feature films, and I have no problems with Family Guy and the like, since that's like newspaper cartoons on tv, it's just an affordable form of expressing ideas, telling jokes etc.
>>
I wouldn't agree that the general public somehow adore stop motion over 2D, but if that really is the case, then it's probably because the concept is more tangible for them.

Everyone has played with dolls. Everyone understands what goes into the process of stop motion, but not everyone understands how drawing works.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.