[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gimme some unsalted truth about my work

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

File: untitled.jpg (471KB, 1920x1203px) Image search: [Google]
untitled.jpg
471KB, 1920x1203px
Gimme some unsalted truth about my work
>>
File: just another day on vvardenfell.jpg (186KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
just another day on vvardenfell.jpg
186KB, 1920x1080px
Make the stingrays cliff racers instead.
>>
messy brushwork my dude!! i think your painting skills are too far ahead of your drawing skills, which is leading to unpolished and unsure strokes. nice colours and values tho.
>>
>>2658982
this, I'd say it's pretty fantastic just needs to be cleaned up. good colors and comp
>>
Colors are dull, needs more contrasting values.
>>
File: 1141.png (177KB, 367x321px) Image search: [Google]
1141.png
177KB, 367x321px
Stop making retarded threads you snowflake nig REE REEE REEEEEE REEE
>>
>>2659035
wrong.
>>
>>2658979
I think the thumbnail reads well, but it needs a focal point. Work on the details on objects closer to viewer, also the house needs some ambient occlusion.
The most important thing though is that you should not make threads just for one of your artworks, there is draw thread for that.
>>
>>2658979

OP, the thumbnail looks very nice! nice colours :-) I have some tips that might be helpful.

Visual Storytelling

A question: What is the focus of your painting?
- Is it the giant mushrooms? Then consider adding some details to them that will help draw the viewers attention. I see a warm, low sunlight in the scene, so maybe give the mushrooms some warm golden rimlight on the sunny side to make them pop out more, and perhaps add some subsurface scattering effect on the stems to enhance the soft fleshy meatiness of the fungus.
- Is it the flying mantas? The biggest is obscured by branches and a waterfall, the other is in shadows and the tiny ones are almost impossible to see. Maybe the big one needs to be moved a bit to the left and catch more warm sunlight?
- Is it the watermill? Then why is it brutally squished at the bottom of the canvas, partially cut off? Maybe give it a little bit of breathing room? Add 150-200 pixels at the bottom and free it from the edge, so it can bask in the golden rays.
- Is it the overall fantastical nature of the environment? So why does the mill look like any ordinary human made medieval-style watermill? It is now at odds with the environment and seems to lack building materials supplied by the strange environment. This can be on purpose, of course. But in that case, show me. Who knows? Maybe this watermill was made by human travellers, trapped in a subterranean alien world, forced to eke out a meagre existence before their ultimate demise. Tell me a story! :-)
>>
>>2659249

Technical Execution

- The perspective looks rather wonky. Of course, the large mushrooms would grow in various directions, but the water and the watermill would follow one vanishing point, high up beyond the border of the image. One a side note, I would suggest increasing the curves of the mushroom stalks, to reinforce the randomness of their growth.
- Secondly, all mushroom caps are viewed from almost the same angle. However, the caps furthest away would be seen more from the bottom and therefore be more rounded.
- The curves of the mushroom caps are not so nice. They do not form attractive circles and with the biggest mushroom, the stalk is not centered in the cap.
>>
>>2659252

Painting Technique

- Think about the scale of the details you add. You add plenty of water splatters, but they are huge compared to the water mill. This breaks the effect of scale you try to achieve, it makes the watermill look tiny.
- You have added details to your painting with a very fine brush, but you've also used a very large brush in some places. This is no problem, but it is usually nicer to use the fine brush for details that should draw attention, and make sure that the big brush strokes are unobtrusive. If not, you get a clumsy result. in this case I see itsy bitsy tiny crisp manta rays that are hardly visible, but also harsh, bold and thick strokes in contrasting values. My attention is drawn to that instead. Example: thin lines on straw roof: nice little detail! Tiny mantas high up. Very hard to see and almost pointless.
- The right-most mushrooms are covered by some plantlike growths. You used strong, straight brushstrokes that, though intended to be sketchy and loose, do not fit plantlike growths. It looks like sticks. When quickly sketching, try to adjust your strokes to what you are painting. in this case adding a bit of a curve or twist to your strokes will make it look more organic/natural. Try to play a bit with transparency as well, using lighter brushstrokes to make details softer and more organic looking.
>>
>>2659185
wrong.
>>
File: avatar[1].jpg (3KB, 96x96px) Image search: [Google]
3KB, 96x96px
>Idiot makes a new thread for his mediocre art
>gets actual quality feed back

>Posting mediocre art in drawthread
>Ridiculed and called a faggot, beginner thread, loomis, etc

Congrats on making ic shite.
Fuck this gay board.
>>
The only thing that bugs me more than anything is that the waterfall is completely unrealistic: if the mushrooms are dome-shaped (as the smaller ones suggest), then there's no way they collect enough water to provide a continuous stream that can power a waterwheel, at certainly not when the rain is this light.
>>
>>2658979
Random thoughts:
>boring
>not nearly enough value contrast
>my eye is annoyed my your composition that cuts off the ground plane; possible fixing routes involve pushing 3 point perspective more or making the house smaller and including the ground plane fully
>in fact, what the fuck is that 3 point perspective, why is the mushroom and the waterfalls affected by it but not the object closes to the camera, the house? Fix that perspective, its really fucking up this piece

On the plus side, you seem to understand what big medium and small is about and shape repetition. Work on those values man, an 80 story mushroom should be nowhere near as dark.
>>
>>2659144
>>2659281

Sometimes, even though I've been hanging around here for several years now, I still feel mystified by this particular board culture. Isn't /ic/ called Artwork/Critique for this reason? OP's asking for an honest critique.
>>
>>2659281
So, which one of all faggots I called shit today are you?

Nevermind. I don't give a fuck about feelings.
>>
Huge thanks for the actual feedback, have been looking for that for a while now. Will certainly use this.
>>
>>2660207
>Nevermind. I don't give a fuck about feelings.
Stone Hard and Steel Cold sir! You're tough as nails and no one on this board can hope to be more macho than you are. I must let you know that as a woman it makes my panties wet! Great Scotch!
>>
>>2658979
>mushrooms are small... I'll make them big!
>manta rays swim in the ocean... I'll make them swim in the sky!

you're not very imaginative, anon
>>
>>2660686
You're a nerd.
>>
>>2660688
kek
>>
That being said, OP, no idea why you would copy my work from artstation and ask for critique on something you did not make? Atleast don't pretend its yours, got some good feedback out of it though.

Do we know eachother btw?
>>
it's too good to post on /ic/
>>
>>2661264
post it dumbass
>>
>>2659281
Then let's help to make it a better board and stop calling people idiots eh? You just contradicted yourself.

>>2658979
Going on this picture alone there is nothing "wrong" about it, and honestly I can't think of much to improve aside from rendering. I think the thumb reads well and your colors are intelligently chosen to convey what you're trying to. You just need to render a bit more to give the image that extra layer of visual interest when viewed full size.
>>
>>2661296
Post what? My signature is actually still on there

Again everyone thanks for the critique, I made this but someone else posted this here and asked for critique (a friend saw this post). The critique was actually really useful but why would someone ask for critique on someone elses work? Makes no sense? Again thanks for all the suprisingly good feedback, will start posting here myself
>>
>>2661380
Perhaps he was just curious to know whether or not your work is shit. This whole board is anonymous, so it's not like he can take credit for your work or anything.

>>2659237
Newfag here, is ambient occlusion some specific technique?
'cause by definition it's just another word for "proper shading".
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.