[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lightfastness

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: wct-reds-12m.jpg (1MB, 3000x1927px) Image search: [Google]
wct-reds-12m.jpg
1MB, 3000x1927px
Is it something you care about, /ic/? Is it something you try to keep in mind with every completed image or just keep to images being sold/gifted? Applies to artists who use traditional medium for the most part
>>
>>2658375
Not really, but I also tend to buy good quality paint so the problem mostly solves itself. Paints like Alizarin Crimson are outclassed by more useful and more lightfast alternatives either way, like the PV19 Quinacridone Rose/Red/Magenta.
On the other hand I also sketch with fountain pen ink and Ecoline, which are dye-based and not lightfast at all, and do all my charcoal drawings in newsprint. I'd obviously care about it if I was selling work or putting it up somewhere, but for personal stuff that's likely never going to be seen again I don't feel like it's worth worrying about. I want to keep getting better and better with time, so there's no reason for being too precious with sketches and studies.
>>
I don't care because I don't sell or display any of my work.

I color my work with Dr Ph Martins dyes and Copic markers, neither of which are lightfast. Since everything I draw is scanned and spends the rest of its life in a portfolio lightfastness doesn't matter.
>>
Usually artist quallity series differs from the cheaper studio series by having better and more pigment.

Usually the lightfastness is written on the tube or pan.

If you worry about the durability of your colours you can paint them on a piece of paper. then cut the paper on the middle so you have two identical charts. One you put in your window for sun exposure, the other in an envelope. Then after a year you can compare the two.

Artificial light have less wavelenghts than sunlight and that can be why some colours fade or change in the scanner.
>>
>>2658375
>mfw being a noob, I bought tons of poor lightfast colors.
>>
>>2658451
I draw charcoal on toned charcoal paper (looks kind of like seurat's paper), but in art school they used to make us use newsprint. Is it ideal for drawing smoothly in charcoal or just cheap?
>>
>>2658761
Mostly it's just really cheap, but I also haven't found an archival paper that will take it as smoothly. I like the smoother side of Canson Mi-Teintes but there's still a bit too much tooth for me.
>>
>>2658375
yes
I used to think paint quality was bs when started with shitty reeves paints from michaels. I then I got some bonus money and bought a full set of artist quality paints and the difference between the two is like night and day.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.