[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Convince me not to buy this

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 8

File: ipad-pro-1_3497578b[1].jpg (31KB, 620x410px) Image search: [Google]
ipad-pro-1_3497578b[1].jpg
31KB, 620x410px
I'm seriously considering buying the ipad pro.

I'm in love with that stylus/pencil.

I thought it'd be shit for the iOS alone, but it has some good apps, namely sketchbook pro and procreate, both of which I think can save as .psd
>>
Convincing me to buy this if you have it is also acceptable 2bh
>>
>>2657296
>Can't torrent
>No SD card option
>Not as good for art as a wacom

But if you are going for a portable graphic tablet and don't care for a soldered, bastardized, proprietary, piece of shit, then go for it. Is probably your best option, but a better option too is to get a fucking notebook and draw traditionally on it. unfortunately doesn't have software only stuff like a battery life or lag, but you can still draw on it and just scan your drawing with a scanning app with whatever phone you already had.
>>
File: q2pwjcU.jpg (29KB, 460x460px) Image search: [Google]
q2pwjcU.jpg
29KB, 460x460px
>>2657296
Slowly I'm hearing of more and more people talking positively about them from an artist's perspective. It'd be great for painting practice at coffee shops... infact just thinking about that right now is making me want one too.
>>
File: classyasfuck.jpg (36KB, 1184x544px) Image search: [Google]
classyasfuck.jpg
36KB, 1184x544px
>>2657304
>soldered, bastardized, proprietary, piece of shit
wat

Also, you realize I have a computer already, right?
I'm kinda using it right now.
>>
>>2657304
You don't buy apple products for those sorts of features. The Ipad is fun to use, feels good, has a great screen and is just a really good portable device. The pencil is fast and satisfying to use. Sure, you can't download torrents and intricately manipulate files but to be honest you don't need those things for the reasons you would buy an Ipad. You buy an ipad because it's more fun to use in the times when your next best option is a laptop or a cintiq companion.
>>
>>2657306
I had AVN8, which used wacom digitizer, and I tried surface pro 3 and cintiq companion, and this seems better, though I'm just judging by videos.

I was looking at the new VAIO tablet, but the ipad pro pencil just looks amazing. Also lolntrig.
>>
In all honesty OP I am in the same boat as you (or was anyway) but I now think the Surface Pro is the better option. It's cheaper and you can run windows on it, it just seems to make more sense to get one.
There's also the Cintiq Companion if you could get your hands on it.
>>
>>2657308
>Soldered
That means that they use pentalobe screws so you can't remove the battery or other hardware components
>Bastardized
That means that it uses a different OS, used for phones. I don't think I have to explain why a desktop PC OS is more appropriate for graphic design. Stick with your desktop graphic tablet.
>Propietary
It mean the same as soldered but with software. that means that you have to use apps that are on the apple store forcefully. You can't just download it from where you please, or modify your workspace how you want.
>Piece of shit
That means that is not good.
If you ever want to ask why, just go to /g/. There is a ton of shit apple products wont allow you to do.
>>
>>2657318
/g/ is to computers what /ic/ is to art

take that as you will
>>
>>2657323
What you are saying is:
/a/ doesn't watch anime
/v_/doesn't play videogames
/g/ is not a technomaniac
/tg/ doesn't lake tabletops
/fa/ doesn't give a crap about fashion
/fit/ does not lift or do any exercises
and while these are just common shitposting pastas, you are actually using it as an argument to re validate your opinion on a subject.
>>
>>2657318
>That means that they use pentalobe screws so you can't remove the battery or other hardware components
It's a tablet, who cares?

>That means that it uses a different OS, used for phones.
It uses the same OS as every other iPad.

>Proprietary
>le stallman face
Shouldn't you be installing gentoo, you delusional nerd?
>>
File: Free Bunzo.jpg (70KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Free Bunzo.jpg
70KB, 500x500px
>>2657323
It's these kinds of insufferable opinions that are going to kill 4chan. Or rather are killing it.
>>
The most legit argument here is lack of sd cards. But if you're using it purely to draw, this is negated by apps like dropbox.
You also have to get used to new drawing programs.
I was a generic /g/ disliker of apple. But I have to admit I love it for drawing.
>>2657304
>not as good as wacom
I think this is subjective. It has a good screen, pressure sensitivity, and even tilt for cheaper than a Cintiq companion. It's more of a software issue. If you end up not liking sketchbook or procreate, you're basically fucked.
>>2657317
I wish I could do a full comparison with the surface pro. I forgot why I didn't choose it. If the drawing related specs were worse or if the displays in store were laggy... Too lazy to google atm. No tablet is quite as nice for the internet as a desktop.
>>
As a drawing tool alone it feels far too expensive for what it is. I've tried it out at the apple store and really wasn't that impressed.

If I was in the market for a tablet anyway the pen would obviously be a factor though, it'd be nice to have, but not worth the asking price unless you'll be using the tablet for other things.
>>
There's a much cheaper option, it's called sketchbook & pencil.
>>
>>2657439
I know you believe that's clever, but it's honestly not.
>>
>>2657304
That third point is a straight up lie fuck you.
>>
>>2657438
This is fair, it's very expensive.

I have the 12.9 and I bought it to replace my heavy, laggy 2009 MacBook Pro, so I also use it as a general purpose laptop.

The drawing on it is frankly fantastic, I don't understand how they managed to do what they did in such a thin and light body.

In terms of drawing, the Surface Pro can't compete. The pressure levels, lag, and accuracy are just too lacking to do more than scribble a quick note or do a bit of airbrushing in Lightroom. It has being able to use the Adobe suite going for it but it can't really use it effectively.

Having said that I much, much prefer Procreate to Photoshop for sketching, and I think the iPad Pro is the perfect, decadent, unnecessary tool for a beginner. It won't make you better at art any more so than a pen or paper, but it's the best digital sketchbook you can get - Wacom ain't got shit.

However if you're a professional it's a bit limiting if only for the lack of a lag-free, smoothly working Apple-made Astropad. If that worked seamlessly on Windows and MacOS I'd say there'd be no point in ever getting the Cintiqs below 27".
>>
yes, you really need that $1000 tablet before you can draw. All art comes down to is the tablet. Thats why Vilppu says "no rules, just tools", he meant to buy the best tools you can.
>>
I've used this for a while now.
It depends on how much money you have to splash out with, but if you don't already own a light laptop/ipad then this is amazing. It's like having a sketchbook with an undo function.
Don't buy it if all you're going to just use it for drawing. I use this to do non-art work/make notes/ reply to emails on the go/ do things you can't really do on a smartphone as well, so it's justified.
Ipad pro >>> Cintiq imo

Then again considering the average /ic/ user leaves the house for 2 hours a week idk how much use you'll have for it.
>>
How do you get over the slippery glass? It feels fucking weird desu
>>
>>2657691
I don't think it's a big deal, but you could try a matte screen protector for a little more tooth, if you can find one that doesn't make your screen grainy as shit. Photodon is supposed to make the best stuff, but I've never tried them myself.
>>
>>2657547

Why, exactly, are you assuming that just because somebody wants a new tool that they think art is impossible without that tool?

Do you just draw with a rock on a cave wall because that's all you need? Fuck outta here.
>>
>>2657547
What are you even talking about?
>>
dont do it anon, i know you may feel at times that life is too much of a struggle to endure but trust me, you're important and valuable. the world may need you one day, son.
>>
>>2658097
But will it need my iPad Pro?
>>
File: 4d6.gif (10KB, 600x694px) Image search: [Google]
4d6.gif
10KB, 600x694px
>>2657306
>>
Asus transformer pro 3 coming out should be your reason.
>>
The Pencil is fucking awesome. You've already played with it so I don't have to sell you on it, but man it is so nice not to have that gap between the stylus & the screen that you get on a Cintiq. I also really love how slender and light the pencil is compared to other stylus.

If you've got the money and you want something portable that's easy to whip out and use wherever, go for it man.
>>
>>2657783
Buy that iPad pro anon, itll make sure you're a good artist :)
>>
>>2658108
>Ntrig
dont do it anon
Ntrig is the fucking worst
>>
>>2658241
Are you one of those "you should only use an HB graphite pencil and printer paper" faggots? Pls stop being a retard, you're butthurt about a narrative you created in your own head.
>>
>>2658249
>HB pencil on graphite paper
>Not exclusively drawing with milky way bars and girl scout cookies

you're never gonna make it anon
better start studying now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ4NsCqZ_T4
>>
>>2657318
>asking a bunch of dudes who don't do art for recommendations on graphics tablets
>>
>>2657296
you could, but you could also buy a surface pro
>>
>>2657296
I gave it a 4/5 on my site. It's good if you want a portable tablet but I wouldn't buy one if you're looking for something to use primarily for drawing. There are many features that are sacrificed for portability and to fit in the iPad and iOS design.

You can read more about it here on my site:

https://www.artsartreviews.com/2016/07/19/ipad-pro-with-apple-pencil-review/
>>
just get a Wacom and Photoshop, its what 99.9% of people use for a reason
ive tried meme programs and tablets before, always ended up going back.
>>
>>2659395
>should I buy this boat?
>no, buy a Ford F-150, it's what 99% of people use for a reason
>>
>>2659401
If you want to use that boat to drive on land, then yeah you're fucking retarded for not just buying the Ford.
>>
>>2659468
The irony here is that you're the one recommending a desktop device to a guy asking about a portable one.
>>
>>2659496
sketchbook and pencil
there is no good mobile tablet, itll be no more than a toy to show off at Starbucks
>>
>>2657296

I can't, I tried one out the other day, I was fully prepared to not give a fuck about it until I tried the apple pencil with procreate. Procreate is dope but it's only for iOS devices, and wacom haven't created anything to rival the apple pencil.
>>
>>2657296
I bought it. It's not bad. Just make sure not to lose the pen, it can get lost pretty quickly if you're not careful

Personally I just like it because now my room isn't a fire hazard full of scrap paper
>>
>>2657310
lack of onboard shortcut keys makes it much less viable portable in my opinion

in addition, can it even be connected to a desktop to use its resources?
i find myself sketching on a 2005 LE1600, then moving onto the desktop that has an overclocked 6700k and 32gb ram to use photoshop

the companion seems like the only viable option
sad, with that horrid color repo and disgusting pricetag, but the only really viable one
>>
>>2657337
>implying 4chan isn't dead already
>>
>>2657296
>procreate
So there's an app for that too?
>>
>>2659500
Are you retarded?

>there is no good mobile tablet
There are decent ones, and ipad pro is one of them.

>tll be no more than a toy to show off at Starbucks
Maybe if you're 13. It's a fucking ipad, it's like a laptop lite, you can work on it, watch movies on it, read books, play games, talk to people, shitpost on /ic/, write notes, organize your time, compute surface integrals and you don't need several pencils, pens, paints and brushes, it's much more convenient than even just a piece of paper and a pencil.
>>
>>2659500
Its not 2005 anymore dude. The Ipad pro is the best there is as of now, and there will be even more variety to come.
>>
>>2662499
>>2662489
If you need to keep doing mental gymnastics because you want to blow $800 for a cool looking hipster tablet to "draw" on and shitpost on /ic/ with thats fine. But its not going to be the magical tool that makes you git gud.
>>
>>2662667
whatever m8
>>
>>2657469
>I know you believe that's clever, but it's honestly not

I know you believe you're clever, but honestly you're retarded.
>>
>>2657731
>Do you just draw with a rock on a cave wall because that's all you need?

Fucking pencil
Fucking paper

Am I missing something faggot?
>>
>>2662667
>this much projection
The only person implying any of that shit here is you. Stop being retarded.
>>
>>2662693
>Am I missing something faggot?
Yeah, not being poor.
>>
>>2662870

Sorry, but you will never make it.
>>
>>2662870
Artists in China are drawing at Ruan Jia levels with windows xp computers and wacom bamboos
not gonna make it
>>
>>2662692
>I-i need to buy it! I gotta have it!
Whatever m8o
why are you even asking if youre getting so bootyblasted? Just buy the tablet
>>
>>2663200
>wacom bamboos

[citation needed]
>>
it's an expensive luxury that is absolutely fantastic for art in 90% for normal everyday artists.

arguing over semantics doesn't change the facts that it beats everything else out there until you need professional tools.
>>
>>2663218
What im wondering is why OP made the thread asking why he shouldnt buy it if he just wants people to validate his purchase

/ic/ - attention whoring and blogposting
>>
git gud motherfcker, in paper, you dont need an expensive toy just for practice.
>>
>>2663200
>artists
>in china
Yeah, because they're double poor.
>>
Apple pencil is seriously one of the greatest things for artists, too bad its locked down to shitty mobile OS.

Wacom hasnt made a single improvement in the past 10 years, they dont need to since they have a monopoly. Hopefully this gets them to get off their ass and make a better product instead of rebrands.
>>
If it's for just digital on the go then get the new bamboo Omni stylus + any decent tablet/smartphone.
If you want to use it as a primary tool then I suppose you can get the ipad+pencil. Altho for that price I'd just save up my money for a cintiq companion. The difference is very noticeable when your drowing on a media tablet meant for normies and an actual professional drawing tablet.
>>
For almost a year I was the only fag on ic with Apple Pencil, and I don't think a single anon had anything good to say about it.

I'm still probably the only anon using one, but it's weird to see people posting positive pencil comments...
>>
File: 0144-mads.jpg (305KB, 665x1000px) Image search: [Google]
0144-mads.jpg
305KB, 665x1000px
>>2663213
I use a wacom bamboo for everything still, have for a few years. Might not be good for precise lines, but works just fine for painting.

I'm curious on the surface pro vs ipad thing too though, I've seen a couple artists on facebook with different preferences.
>>
>>2668137
Surface pens are god awful, horrible latency and pressure sensitivity(have to press real hard to even get the pen to pick up)

Youre probably just fine with your Bamboo, Wacom has a monopoly so they just rerelease the same product every few years, been this way since the Intuos3. Might want a bigger surface area though.
>>
File: cintiq-companion2-02-g.jpg (71KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
cintiq-companion2-02-g.jpg
71KB, 960x640px
i5

Worth every penny.
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.