[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Chunbum Park's Painting Thread

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7

Korean Tiger Fights The Japanese Samurai
>>
File: Vincent_Van_Gogh_0013.jpg (1MB, 2760x3072px) Image search: [Google]
Vincent_Van_Gogh_0013.jpg
1MB, 2760x3072px
okay im gonna try to have this talk with you because it's gonna save you from wasting any more of your time.

STOP WORKING FROM IMAGINATION

your imagination is terrible, and that's fine. it's still better than mine by miles, but terrible nonetheless.

You are like me. Your strength is in your shortcomings in skills /ic/ values like visual libraries, imaginative work, and anatomy from memory.

You NEED to start doing work from life. Portraits, landscapes, still lifes. You are much stronger working traditionally than you are trying to force something that's simply not going to happen for you.

It's impressive that you make no progress regardless of how much imaginative work you do, but it's only impressive to you, because you know it is honestly and sincerely the best you can do.

And you and I are in good company because the other artist that had a terrible memory and imagination? Vincent van gogh.

van gogh had a terrible imagination and he was entirely dependent on having a reference to work from and abstract.

take this painting for example. it's terrible. that figure is honestly the best he could do from his head. He couldn't draw things in motion, he didn't have that kind of sensibility. all his portraits are very simple like the ones you've been doing. a face at an angle. no superfluous difficult things just simple paintings done well.
>>
File: august-26-2016.jpg (596KB, 800x1000px) Image search: [Google]
august-26-2016.jpg
596KB, 800x1000px
>>2655433
so please. for the love of god. get back to drawing from life. draw from life until you start to trust the voice in your head that tells you what things are supposed to look like.

our creativity is a very simple one and that's fine. we won't work making giant paintings of castles and dragons and spaceships but whatever we can play to our strengths and that's the very inability that prevents us from doing those complex pieces.

but you have to stop doing this kind of work. you'll just get more and more frustrated that people don't realize what makes them good because they can't relate. there's very few artists in the world like us, you just have to accept that.

i'll always be better than you though because i am even worse than you at this stuff. if you think YOU struggle with it you should see my imaginative work. everyone on /ic/ who's seen my creative work done from imagination can attest to that.
>>
>>2655433
>>2655434
You seem to be sending a mixed message. My strength is in my shortcomings? but whatever we can play to our strengths and that's the very inability...?

You will always be better than me though because you are even worse than me at this stuff?

Your imaginative work is fantastic!
>>
>>2655433
Working form imagination will damage you're capabilities if you do it too much. It's like wearing the wrong shoe size, probably gonna fuck up your feet over time.
>>
>>2655443
how ever some people can manage to work from memory quite a bit, some people have amazing visual memory and a accurate sense of whats good and bad.
>>
>>2655440
its a hard concept to understand unless you draw enough to understand it. but some people are talented at imaginative work and some arent. the less talent you have the more your strength comes from observational work.

it's not that my imagination is bad or yours is per se maybe that wasnt the word to use but it's incredibly basic and simple. my imaginative work between studies of my hands is mostly just basic shapes like cubes spheres and simple mark making because that's all i'm really capable of. sure I can learn to do that simple stuff well but there's no arguing that work by people like kim jung gi is much more impressive and marketable.

thats part of what made it so hard for van gogh to make a living making art was because his work was so simple compared to what more talented impressionists could do.

heres an example of an imaginative drawing by me. its even simpler than yours
>>
>>2655443
>>2655444
>>2655445
Who cares what you can or what Kim Jung Gi can do? I just gotta do what I must. Keep creating. Keep working from imagination.

I don't understand a word you are saying.

You are telling me that I shouldn't work from imagination because my strength lies in observation only? That's nonsense.
>>
>>2655444
yes thats a talent. some people aren't talented. im one of the least talented people in the world. or at the very least my talent is in a completely different category. the talent that garners attention in 2016 is what most of the people on /ic/ are good at which is imaginative work.

it doesn't matter what I do I will always be arguably the worst imaginative artist on /ic/ thats why i dont post those drawings and hardly even do them anymore.
>>
>>2655450
nobody on /ic/ would disagree with me that your imaginative work is, in the grandiose sense of what the best illustrators are capable of, pretty simple and unimpressive. so impress people with work done from life because you are probably much stronger at that. a lot of your work is about texture and markmaking in a very specific way, and you should learn to apply that to observational drawing where it would have an actual place to shine through.
>>
>>2655451
You seriously don't believe that. You think you are the best, or you will become one one day.

I am totally fine with that. Do what you gotta do.

I just enjoy drawing from imagination. It's so much fun. Drawing from observation is boring.
>>
>>2655455
I took note of your advice. I realize it's not a sound advice. It's an advice that makes no sense.

If I suck at drawing from imagination, I should improve upon it by practicing more from imagination. If I don't suck at drawing from imagination, then I should do more of it because it's my strength. Either way, I am all system go, ready for launch for destination imagination.
>>
Stop this nonsense. It's basically impossible to get jobs with observational drawing if you're planning on becoming a illustrator or designer of some kind. They are paying you for your creativity and design abilities, if they wanted photorealistic drawings they would've used photographs.

It's fine if you're a hobbyist, but working on your imagination abilities & building your visual library is as much a skill as proportion or colour theory. Even those skills are so you can do the things you make from observation from imagination.

You'll get there eventually just keep learning & developing.
>>
>>2655460
thats pretty unfortunate and i think you're missing out on creating some great paintings by being so strict about making only imaginative work. it's a common misconception that observational work doesn't use your imagination. what do you think is happening in the time between when you look at your reference and drawing the line on the paper? you've got to use your imagination to fill in the gaps. i swear to god if you do observational work you will exercise your imagination and be fulfilled.
>>
>>2655463
Again this makes no sense. It reads like an e-mail written by a scam artist.

>>2655465
I've been already there, done that.

I am ready to move onto destination imagination. Woohoo!

You cannot discourage me from this. You are not trying to give me a sound advice. You are trying to discourage me from doing what I do best, which is drawing from imagination.

Which is pretty sad, if you think about it.

Let me tell you something.

The tiger in the picture is me. When I was conceived, my dad had a dream about me appearing as a tiger. What's more, the night before I was born, I again appeared in my dad's dream as a tiger, with human teeth.

I am a tiger. I am special, and I am going to succeed.

You are underestimating me, if you think you can discourage me from doing works from imagination with your flimsy persuasion skills.

Let me tell you straight up, you cannot change my destiny or prevent me from making it by giving me these lame "advice".

I love doing work from imagination. This work, "Korean Tiger Fights the Japanese Samurai", is one of best I've done in a long while.

And I will continue to build on this momentum, whether that would be your worst nightmare or not.

You keep talking down about yourself, but I know you have great ambitions and wants to be the best in the world, and anyone in your way is a competitor and a rival to you.

Let me tell you, keep doing what you love doing. Maybe you will make it one day.
And I will keep doing what I love. I will definitely make it.

But for you to think that you can somehow prevent me from discovering my strengths by giving these nonsensical "advice" is very disappointing.

Let me tell you one more thing. I think we are in completely different leagues, as artists.

You should figure out what I mean by that.
>>
>>2655463
this sounds about right. Harsh,but very good advice.
>>
>>2655485
This gotta be same dude posting from his phone's cellular data and home internet wifi

Harsh but very good advice my ass. It reads totally like a scam e-mail.
>>
>>2655469
are you okay
>>
>>2655501
The real question is are you?

Let me repeat what I said before - your advice is nonsensical and contradictory.

So... are you alright? Are you insane? Have you gone crazy? Hope not.

Did you forget what you wrote before? These are your words -

"My strength is in my shortcomings? but whatever we can play to our strengths and that's the very inability...?

I will always be better than you though because I am even worse than you at this stuff"

???????????????????????????
>>
>>2655512
yeah but you're not getting that in order to improve your drawing from imagination, you must supplement your memory with studies from life and photographs. That's why all your work looks the same. There is no improvement in the depiction of forms or perspective.

But it sounds like you don't particularly care about that. That's fine and all, but your work will always look this way, and you'll never improve on your fundamentals. No one can make you do anything, but why would you want to keep painting in the same tired post-modernist style with no improvement for years? Getting better at something is fun, its rewarding to see your progress. Your imagination literally cannot improve if you keep using the same flawed memories of forms that you have.
>>
>>2655460
Don't think of it as drawing from imagination, it's drawing from memory. In your picture there is a samurai, you didn't pull the idea of what a samurai of what a samurai looks like from your imagination, it's from your memory of films, pictures, maybe samurai armor in a museum- If you had never seen a samurai before in your life you would be completely unable to draw one from your mind. If you try to draw something from your mind and it doesn't come out well there are two possible problems: 1. you're draftsmanship isn't good enough, you need to study perspective, instrument handling, paint mixing etc. 2. You don't have a good enough visual library, this means you don't know well enough what the thing you are trying to draw should look like, you need to do studies of the subject to get it inside of your head.
The picture you make may be something that didn't exist before you made it but it's constituent parts (samurai, tiger, trees, birds) are things that already exist in reality. Building a bigger visual library is like giving your imagination a bigger box of toys that it can play with.

I wrote all of this before reading >>2655469
in which you come across as a real cunt,if you don't lose the shitty attitude and put in some real practice your paintings will continue to be as shit as they currently are. I'm posting this since I think it could help other people on /ic/ as for yourself I think you need to see a doctor, preferably Dr. Kevorkian.
>>
>>2655526
You should have been direct and succinct just like this, rather than being contradictory grammar and authoring scam e-mails.

Don't blame me for becoming suspicious of you. Your advice didn't make any sense until this post.

And it's all in the records for everyone to see.
>>
>>2655533
you are SO dramatic
>>
>>2655496

You got me anon, I was just about to scam you out of your imagination void thick head.

I was sharing with you my pearls of wisdom but if you don't want it that's fine.
>>
>>2655548
Do you seriously think people will listen to you if you sound like this -

"You are always better than me but I will be better than you."

"It's our weaknesses that gives us strength to excel outside of our weak areas."

"The very inability to be and do is the ability to not do and be."

This is what you sounded like. Try to figure out what all this means, because I can't.
>>
>>2655557
Do you not understand the concept of multiple posters on a thread, the only posts I wrote were:
>>2655548
>>2655463
>>
>>2655557
People can just read my post and see that's not what I said...
>>
Here is the video on youtube of how I created this piece

https://youtu.be/QaUUCMKcmWw

And a revised version with corrected hand
>>
>>2655501
i don't think he's ok, anon
>>
File: FB_IMG_1472463522878.jpg (502KB, 1640x2048px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1472463522878.jpg
502KB, 1640x2048px
Painted from imagination
>>
>>2655423
The placement of the subjects in the painting is slightly off. You have cut too much off the tiger.

The area under the belly of the tiger needs to be corrected. The background, foreground and the characters merge too much into each other.
Landscape painters have used cold colours in the back and warm in the front to create a sense of depth. The colours in the horisontal line area are primarily warm. Try and see this in landscape paintings. Even David Hockney uses this method.
>>
>>2658708
Great advice!

I fixed it little bit. Hope you like it better
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.