[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>book is called fun with a pencil >it's no fun >uninteresting

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 12

File: 1471707833347.gif (662KB, 500x274px) Image search: [Google]
1471707833347.gif
662KB, 500x274px
>book is called fun with a pencil
>it's no fun
>uninteresting and non-objective texts
I'm still a beginner, do I REALLY have to Loomis? Does it get better after the beginning of the book? I'm getting tired of drawing potatoes with noses.
>>
Ok, then stop studying. You dont need to make ot. We have enough artists as it is, especially ones who draw generic anime shit.
>>
File: 1471707697818.jpg (193KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1471707697818.jpg
193KB, 1920x1080px
>>2650013
Why are you so angry? Is Loomis your father or something? Sorry if I ofended him.
>>
You don't need to do loomis. I never needed to. I hate drawing circles with noses.
>>
>>2650008
You'll soak up information if you lurk the question threads and the beginner threads for a while.

Still read the books in the sticky, if one doesn't work for you move on to the next one and then return to it later.
>>
>>2650008
I didn't like this book too, but not because of the "Potatoes with noses" but mostly because I like other things, anatomy being my main focus, even so, I still have to give it a read from time to time. OP, doing art is not studying only what you like, if it was the case, you wouldn't know how to draw anything because you would be frustrated with everything you can't do. Do some Vilppu if you don't like Loomis. Also, what things you don't like? What is the "interesting part" for you?
>>
try "draw a box" or Peter Han's "Dynamic Bible" instead
>>
>>2650018
I prefer studying more realistic faces, bodies and structures. I also feel like learning a little about muscles and fabric. I'll try Vilppu, thanks a lot.

>>2650017
>>2650021
Thanks guys.
>>
>>2650015
>I dont need Loomis cuz I wanna draw cutesy anime girls and not potatoheads!
>I dont need Loomis cuz some random hack on the internet knows an "easier" way!

Im not explicity defending Loomis, but stop being such a whiny faggot and have some persistence. This goes to all the repliers in this thread saying "yeah XYZ is just better".
Art is all built upon the same foundation established hundreds of years ago, and all the books teach the same shit but slightly different. Its not that Loomis's "potato heads" are inferior to Vilppu or Hampton, youre just making excuses for being shit.

tl;dr stop being a faggot and draw
>>
>>2650008
Just try a different book until you find what works for you. I tried Loomis's FDFAIW but didn't like it so switch to Bridgman and everything clicked for me.
>>
>>2650106
People think Loomis is unhelpful because others keep recommending him to beginners. It's like kicking a baby bird out of it's nest right after it hatches and expecting it to be ready to fly.
>>
>>2650129
3d construction is one of the most important keys to being able to draw from imagination. You can copy anatomy diagrams until you can draw people but then when things get slightly complicated youll be stuck in a rut
>>
>>2650129

Well if that bird can't fly right after it hatches it is a genetic failure.
>>
>>2650106
things that have never been spoken: truer words.
>>
>animu poster
>complaining about actually having to work to git gud
You're free to go back to your shitty waifu drawthread to beg for art if you can't even push through a single book.
>>
>>2650135
Sure, but that doesn't change the fact that not enough emphasis is put on practicing line, basic shapes/forms and perspective for beginners. All of those things make it easier to appreciate and consume Loomis' books.
>>
File: feels good man.jpg (392KB, 1922x1440px) Image search: [Google]
feels good man.jpg
392KB, 1922x1440px
OP, if you're tired of drawing potatos, try drawing your Jojos with the methods taught by Loomis, you'll realize there's a lot more to it than you think.

It's not about what you're drawing, but the tools(not rules) of the trade that you're learning. Fun with a Pencil is a beginners book, but if you dont understand the basics Loomis teaches with it, and then move on to a more advanced course like Figure Drawing for All it's worth, you wont understand what the shit's going on because suddenly he brings complicated Perspective and anatomy into the game, along with all that he taught in Fun with a Pencil.

If you try to jump around and skim through 200 different artbooks you're not going to learn anything, and in the end they all teach the same thing. The basics of art were established hundreds of years ago during the Renaissance, everything after is basically an interpretation of it. If you want to read Vilppu go ahead, but in the end you'll go back to Loomis and see its the same shit.

So keep doing those boring potato heads, still lifes, and gesture drawings and try to make them the best shit you ever drew. Because those are going to be elements in the next step to drawing space marines and dragons.

t. someone who's made the same mistakes before
>>
File: Blook Butt.jpg (229KB, 1451x571px) Image search: [Google]
Blook Butt.jpg
229KB, 1451x571px
>>2650219
>OP, if you're tired of drawing potatos, try drawing your Jojos with the methods taught by Loomis, you'll realize there's a lot more to it than you think.

This, my dude.
>>
Loomis is weird, I always had trouble understanding him at first and had to go to other sources. I think it's because he's so terse and basically throws you an incredibly dense amount of information on each page.

However as I come back and read him again, he makes perfect sense and seems to explain things very well. So there's that.

Honestly for teaching newbies construction I would prefer drawabox. It's not "fun" but it basically guarantees you will gain basic line control and 3d understanding, even if you are a total idiot. Then for figures I think Vilppu is God
>>
>can't read a book
>stupid questions
>shit tier animu
>>>/b/
>>
>>2650266
>Asking for help in a board about helping
>>
>>2650261
I wouldnt think of people like drawabox as "Teachers". Think of it more like getting advice from your friend or peer after watching a professor's lesson.

If you look at stuff like Drawabox, Sycra, Sinix, etc without teachings from the masters you'll just end up picking up their bad habits. At the same time they might be able to simplify a few things for you, but thats about it.
>>
>>2650008
I didn't do a single thing from that book because it looks stupid and I don't want to draw cartoony characters.
>>
>>2650273
t. Notgonna Makeit
>>
>>2650008
Don't get the fuck off /ic/
I learnt to draw by trying to make a game.
Trial and error, constantly work towards a goal of having something look good.

Fuck the /ic/ method. Make your own method.
>>
>>2650282
>Sage
*Don't, get the fuck off /ic/.
>>
>>2650008
>do I REALLY have to Loomis?
Why ON EARTH would you "have" to do Loomis?
Why is drawing so Nazi Germany for so many people here? One says he MUST excel in academic art before he allows himself to draw what he really wants, you say, you HAVE to do Loomis. Find a book you like, dude.

BTW, I don't like Fun with a pencil either.
>>
>>2650008
Fun with a pencil requires some core fundamentals, it's not a complete beginner's book.
>>
You get better taste in anime for starters.
>>
File: 1472020716321.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1472020716321.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>2650330
This. JoJo is garbage. Watch something cute instead.
>>
>>2650330
Post your taste
>>
>>2650008
Try "Drawing the Head" by Loomis, it's pretty much the same as the Jojo shit you posted, OP.

But memes aside, if you're a beginner I recommend going easy on you. Consider the following:

1. This step is optional and mostly overseen by /ic/, but I still recommend it highly: Draw for fun! Copy your favourite artists, draw from imagination and so on. This won't get you good, but give you some basic milage when it comes to linework and makes you enjoy art when starting.

2. Before you get your instructional artbooks, think about what level you are. Most require a basic understanding of forms in space and decent linework.
Drawabox.com is a structured approach to get decent understanding of 3D forms and lineworks. I don't recommend the figure drawing section, for there are better ressources, but lesson one and two are very helpful and the dynamic sketching section is great for applying those basic concepts.

3. Select a topic of your choice you want to get decent at; I would recommend one that pays attention to constructional drawing and/or perspective. Then search up youtube for some tutorials, guides and exercises on that topic. I'm being honest with you: Youtube videos are highly restricted by the short time the instructors have and most of them are breaking down the stuff you learn from /ic/s masters, so see them as a stepping stone to get an idea what you want to do. Proko, for example, has a fairly good figure drawing series, where he explains concepts from Loomis, but also Bridgeman, Hampton and Villpu (all /ic/ approved instructors). After going (and exercising) through his series you can look into the artbooks he refered to.

4. Now that you have a basic idea of drawing theory it shouldn't be too hard to find an instructional book to your liking. Select a topic that suits you and where you WANT to grind through. It's no use studying Robertson first, if measuring lines and mirroring planes bores the shit out of you. (cont.)
>>
>>2650380
(cont.)
Not saying that you shouldn't learn those things, but it's best to start with something you REALLY want to do. Maybe a structured, constructional approach is what's best for you, in that case, grab that shit asap. Whatever you do, go step after step. Don't burden yourself with approaching composition, values, perspective, etc all at once.

Find your own way. The things suggested in >>2650380 where what worked for me, not a general guide. Find what works for you. What drives you and inspires you to get good. Just get a schedule and get started. Make drawing a habit, that is the most important thing for now.

Some motivational words for everyone who wants to not only draw but get good at it:

It won't be easy. You will have to put a lot of time and effort in. You will fail a lot. A whole lot. You won't make instant progress. You won't be rewarded for your work for a long time. You won't get appreciation for your hard work, neither from normies nor from /ic/ and it won't get easier for a long time. BUT that's the reason most people quit once they hit a wall. Or another wall. Or another one. But you will go on and overcome your failures, your doubts and 90% of /ic/, because you have determination and the tenacity no one else has. You have the spark.
>>
>>2650106
It's not that his information isn't useful it's just that he's a shit writer.
>>
>>2650356
>JoJo is garbage
This guy knows what he's talking about. JoJo is entrylevel shit for /v/ faggots. Also, I've never read fun with a pencil. Maybe try Vilppus videos?
>>
>>2650384
>JoJo is entrylevel shit for /v/ faggots
then what hardcore for my egostr- I mean, to be cultured.
>>
>>2650383
he's not though, hes definitely one of the best there is in terms of art instruction books, every top tier art instructor will agree.
in terms of both writing and instruction i can only see Richard Schmid being better
>>
>>2650383
>Still making excuses
not gonna make it nigga
>>
FWP is a bad book. As good as Loomis is, he's a terrible, terrible teacher.
>>
File: guts-1.png (90KB, 500x390px) Image search: [Google]
guts-1.png
90KB, 500x390px
>>2650356
>"JoJo is garbage, watch something cute instead"
>moefag
>pic related
>>
>>2650008
You fell for the meme.
Loomis' books are ancient by now and since then far better learning resources have become available.
>>
>>2650765
[CLANG]
>>
File: 14143689484.jpg (108KB, 600x648px) Image search: [Google]
14143689484.jpg
108KB, 600x648px
Oh my god, I never thought I'd get so much shitpost for simply not having fun with Loomis or posting chinese cartoons. I thought the thread died when I posted >>2650024
I'll keep reading and practicing though. I also might look after other beginner's books when I finish FWAP just for a review of what I learned.

>>2650356
I actually like some entry-level moe anime like Nichijou and K-On. Stop taking entertainment so seriously, it's just cartoons on a screen.
>>
>>2650863
Is that Kaiji? Where is his nose?

Also you're a faggot.
>>
>>2650880
Kaij now suffers from moe syndrome and lost his nose. His eyes are gonna get huge too.
>>
>>2650792
okay, before I start calling you names I'll ask: what are this far better learning resources?
>>
>>2650957
Christopher Hart if you want to do stylized work/ anime.
>>
>>2650961
I don't want anime or any stylized work. That's exactly why I wasn't that happy with Loomis' cartoony sketches. I want some real bases.
>>
>>2650986
Once you know how to draw anime you just have to add details and you have realistic work.
>>
>>2650961
ebin
>>
>>2650418
vouching for based Schmid here. Just finished Alla Prima II and have no regrets
>>
File: noice.jpg (106KB, 832x661px) Image search: [Google]
noice.jpg
106KB, 832x661px
>>2650228
>>
>>2650765
Every time I reread Berserk I'm so fascinated with the style he began with and with what he's rolling right know. This is legit development spanned within two decades.
>>
>>2655787
i sort of feel like his style has become a lot cleaner and less detailed. Am I imagining things?
>>
File: 17306247.png (73KB, 500x171px) Image search: [Google]
17306247.png
73KB, 500x171px
People in the 40s/50s had different standards and ideations of fun compared to people today, OP
>>
Seems the OP image leads to a lot of off topic nonsense and assumptions. A clear reminder to choose your OP images wisely when on /ic/.
Anyways on the topic: My big gripe with Loomis is his long windedness. He lacked the ability to get to the fucking point and explain the examples on the page. I felt myself get bored and a bit lost with his attempts to be witty in that book.
All in all Fun With A Pencil was his first published book and in my opinion his worst as it's everything you could read in any how to book or beginners tutorial.
>>
>>2655049
just went to order the alla prima 2 but shit's expensive... is there a lot of difference from alla prima 1?
>>
If you get easily bored you won't make it

Being an artist requires thousands of hours of bland studying
>>
>>2658131
Why do you guys act like you have no choice over how exciting your studying is going to be?

From step 1 and day 1 I am going to draw stuff I like using the exercises i'm practicing with to get better. Who said it has to be boring?
>>
File: 1990 2016.jpg (1MB, 1114x1644px) Image search: [Google]
1990 2016.jpg
1MB, 1114x1644px
>>2655801
it's the opposite
>>
>>2655801
Yep.
There is still a lot of detail in his drawings. Shitposting is just getting the best of ya
>>
>>2650008
why don't you try some stuff from his other books then.
>>
>>2650298
Like what
>>
>>2658161
Then you won't make it unless you find life drawing random assoetments of thrift shop goods riveting, find doing thousands of basic perspective practices a font of never ending joy and just absolutely adore the feeling of grinding anatomy studies for years.
>>
File: FunWithPerspective.jpg (94KB, 637x778px) Image search: [Google]
FunWithPerspective.jpg
94KB, 637x778px
>>2650418
> one of the best there is in terms of art instruction books

Fun with a Pencil is intended for everyone, kids included and begins easy but suddenly jumps the shark.

> 1) Let's draw heads!
> 2) Those heads need bodies!
> 3) Those bodies need a complex world with perspective and lighting!

Pic related, Saitama-Loomis resumes Perspective in 20 words or less. If one of you finds that page clear, redline the Station Point in the picture.

> 4) And learn to draw from Life!

Seriously why is a page about drawing from life at the end of the book after "the author's corner".
Where are the index, content pages, etc. that you find in his other books like Figure Drawing for all it's worth?
FWAP is full of important stuff but confusing.
In comparison Keys to Drawing is clear as water, with its resume at the end of every chapter.
>>
>>2659349
>If one of you finds that page clear, redline the Station Point in the picture.
Nice try, there is no station is that picture.
>>
>>2650008

Fun with a pencil is worthless.
>>
>loomis first
do keys to drawing and betty edwards and perspective made easy first

then skip fun with a pencil and go right to successful drawing
>>
>>2659349
Ugh, the eyestrain-inducing font is not making it easier.
>>
>>2658974
>IT WON'T BE FUN UNLESS YOU LIKE DRAWING!!!!
seriously wtf?
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.