[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Art school portfolio thread

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (6KB, 250x218px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
6KB, 250x218px
Im beginning my portfolio to get into art school. I have three years to do this. How did you go about creating a portfolio? Any links to good portfolios one can look at ? Also portfolio general thread.
>>
Draw from direct observation, or in case of a self portrait, using a mirror.

I bought a Foam Geometric Solids Set by Nasco from Amazon. That's a really good prop to have to practice drawing still life with.

Get a halogen lamp with adjustable arm and brightness to set up the lighting for the still life.

Search "risd bicycle" on google. Look up "portfolio critique" by Clara Lieu, adjunct professor at RISD.
>>
>>2648401
>How did you go about creating a portfolio?
The usual process, pick a spec, thumbnail, finalize. Do this until you have like 20 finished pieces or so.

>Any links to good portfolios one can look at ?
Any professional artist has a good portfolio. It's usually their own website.
>>
>>2648401

For what its worth, this was my application portfolio to otis and lcad. Not super great or anything but it did earn me almost half-off tuition merit scholarships for both schools.

http://sta.sh/21urd4zobgq0
>>
>>2648427
>Not super great or anything
Y-you got me with that reverse psychology.
Makes me wonder where you are now if you're on /ic/ and this was a year ago.
>>
For landing a studio job, Feng covers pretty much everything you need to know about building a portfolio in his podcast.
>http://fzdpodcast.com/2016/01/25/episode-2-online-portfolio-tips-4/
If you're applying to a school, they usually want a couple still life drawings (everyday items/poses) and some pieces demonstrating exploration/thought process - gesture, construction, lighting basics, texture studies, smth like that.
If you throw in some plain air sketches and some old master studies with fancy diagrams on the side, you're good to go.
>>
>>2648442

I'm around here occasionally, the stash link should show my da username somewhere, all my sites are up to date with recent work.

>>2648427
I also wanted to mention, really try to narrow down what your goals are and do proper research on schools. If youre gonna spend the dollars, dont just stop at talking to recruiters, their job is to sell the school to you. If possible, talk to department chairs and instructors, try to get a list of course offerings/descriptions for the major youre interested in, and talk to alumni/current students (I assure you most of them won't mind if you FB message them or send a tumblr ask)
>>
>>2648427
>almost

that looks pretty nice, why you didn't make it?
>>
>>2648656

LCAD was 11k off of 28k tuition/year for 4 yrs (44 total) and OTIS 16k off of 38k/year for 4 years (64 total.

As to why it wasn't more? I dunno. I mightve done better with 1+ years of if I really formed a relationship with the chairs snd kept a reputation of taking crits/upgrading skills. The other thing to keep in mind is that these small schools only have so much money (Left over after paying administrators and presidents high salaries of course). After taking to people in the year I spent st LCAD (I left after), it seems that full-rides are treated as "slots" and any only given after a current full-rider leaves/graduates.
>>
File: 1366591484986.jpg (7KB, 210x251px) Image search: [Google]
1366591484986.jpg
7KB, 210x251px
>>2648427
Well, I might as well just give up now.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.