[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Questions Thread

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 321
Thread images: 73

File: image.jpg (38KB, 362x346px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38KB, 362x346px
>Browse catalog
>No questions thread
>mfw

This place is for asking all your art related questions that might fit in one single post.

If you want to git gud, read the sticky.

If you want critique, search the current Beginner/ Draw/ Stylization thread.

I'll start.

How do you learn to ink with a Wacom intuos medium? I have seen that most recommend drawing really big, like 600% zoom level and spamming ctrl+z. But is there any book, website or resource exclusively for inking?

>inb4 force proportions.
I know.
>>
Learn line weight and you should be good to go.
>>
>>2641820
Ye. I already know things like that. I have inked on paper and have read a couple of nice inking books.

But switching to digital is pretty hard. I was wondering if my tablet is too small (intuos medium) or if I just need to do exercises or if I'm doomed to painting.
>>
any good art related discord channels? polycount has one, but thats mostly for 3d.
>>
File: image.jpg (59KB, 564x426px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
59KB, 564x426px
Why do so many "hyper realistic" drawings feature water?
>>
>>2641865
Cos water's tough
>>
>>2641865

Why does anyone care?
>>
>>2641806

Which one of the standard brushes in CSP are the closest approximation to traditional inking pen?
I want to achieve a similar line quality to pic related
>>
Any tutorials, or resources to draw Anthro characters? I found out it's pretty fun but I know jack shit about it, aside from looking at art and animal photos I don't know where to begin
>>
>>2641806
I consider myself a beginner artist (since I can't draw well from real life) and I've been drawing Keys + Loomis. The thing is I got really burned out so went to indulge in guilt anime drawing with references used. It turned out to be decent (for my standards) and made me feel really happy about drawing. Is it right to continue drawing? Or should I just grind my fundies?
>>
>>2642028

Pinterest.com search for anthro tutorial.
Godspeed
>>
Is there a good sort of pocket sketchbook that can handle watercolor without necessarily getting a watercolor paper sketchbook? Say I sketch a thing and decide after the fact I want to color it with watercolors, but don't want a dedicated book for water color paintings.
>>
>>2642039
Do both
>>
>>2642039

There's nothing wrong with drawing what you want if you enjoy it, you shouldn't turn art into a chore. Just don't neglect your fundies, and try to apply them when you do your weeb drawings.
>>
>>2642039
Like other anons have said, do both. It's definitely a mistake to never draw the things you like the most. Just never neglect practicing your fundamentals, and never give up.
>>
Should I bother going through Keys to Drawing after Drawing on the RIght Side of the Brain?
>>
Is the perspective in this cube >>2613325 correct?
>>
>>2642058
I have a pocket-sized Moleskine that handle gouache just fine, but the watercolors are a little iffy. Nothing has leaked through to other pages, but I'm not using all that much water on them.
>>
>>2642167

From personal experience, I think Keys to Drawing is way better than Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain. At the very least, it's much more informative than simply spouting pseudo-science.

My own question -- how do people generally approach direct figure study from a reference (heads, bodies, etc.)? I tend to draw using negative space as a guide, but I see other people do the same sort of construction as if drawing entirely from imagination.
>>
>>2642176
is that a real question? no, it's non-existent. it's isometric.
>>
>>2642211
I'm not "reading" Drawing on the right side of the brain.

I'm just doing the exercises. That's why I'm wondering if there's any point in going to Keys to Drawing afterwards instead of moving on to stuff like Loomis.
>>
>>2641885
I think you have to use the watercolor brush. Don't know which setrings atm, but size should be 4px @350dpi.

Tweak settings until desired quality
>>
>>2642222

You sure about that? The watercolor brushes are really soft
>>
>>2642215

You probably don't need to do both if you're going through all the exercises in one of them. They're mainly used to demonstrate how to actually draw from observation as opposed to supplanting components with symbols.
>>
How many times should I do the Keys to.Drawing exercises?

And how do I study from Hogarth's books? Do I just draw everything in them?
>>
Whats the style of art that battleborns intro has?

It reminds me of being a kid. And I want to learn more about it /make a few things with it, but its hard without a name.
>>
File: brush_wip.jpg (18KB, 205x282px) Image search: [Google]
brush_wip.jpg
18KB, 205x282px
>>2642230

something among these lines. You'll have to adjust color stretch.
>>
File: emroaer.jpg (18KB, 449x189px) Image search: [Google]
emroaer.jpg
18KB, 449x189px
>>2642230
>>2642474

Forgot to mention. Use the "Dense watercolor" brush (and use black).
>>
How do I improve hand eye coordination? I've gotten far with just having basic knowledge of how 2 dimensional space works in drawing but I've realized that my actual skill in drawing kind of sucks. Like, if I draw a dot on a page and try to connect in to another dot on the other side of the page I often miss by a few mm.
>>
How do I get my foot in the door as a total beginner? I feel like there is this huge boundary I need to overcome before I can start "reading" specific drawing books (like figure drawing). I feel like I lack the very basic skills. I draw very insecurely, my lines are not straight, I even have trouble drawing simple geometric shapes. I have trouble visualizing things in my head. This is a problem when a book for example breaks something down into simple geometric objects because I still have trouble drawing even them.
>>
>>2642791
Also: my goal is to be able to draw from imagination.
>>
>>2642791
Drawabox is designed to train exactly these things, and will walk you through it step by step.

Everything it teaches you is also designed to facilitate drawing from imagination. So do it. Just don't expect it to be easy.
>>
>>2642791
Practice shapes and line confidence. Do some exercises. Learn that you don't need to get it 100% correct while sketching and learning. Just jump right into the books after you feel comfortable with lines.
>>
>>2641806

Okay, so short story, I am getting back into drawing and art as a major hobby. I have a good amount of free time and I have signed up for some cheap local figure drawing sessions with other artists for 2 hours. I have a medium to large sized sketch book 60lb acid free, H, 2H, HB, 2B, 4B pencils, a medium felt pen to do some exercises with making mindful and meaningful lines and strokes, medium charcoal to practice on values and a menagerie of different erasers.

At the moment I have really just been doing some single item and still life drawings at home with blind continuous contour drawings and continuous contour drawings. The blinds are slowly becoming rather good as well as the contours.

What kind of drawing exercises should I focus on at the session? Being that this is not a class, though I have taken art classes (elective/extracurricular) back in college so I remember some stuff.

So, should I do something perhaps like contours, blind contours, continuous contours, blind continuous contours, timed/untimed, gesture, timed gestures, drawing the negative space, cross contour, working with the felt pen to make mindful lines?
>>
File: 1451250084792.png (21KB, 672x738px) Image search: [Google]
1451250084792.png
21KB, 672x738px
I've been hermiting away from the internet for months so sorry if it's something well known that happened but why is cgpeers down?
Did they changed domains or something or are they gone for good?
>>
>>2643187
it is? I was checking it out like 2 weeks ago
>>
>>2643188
Seems like it, downforeveryoneorjustme.com says its down as well so i doubt it's just me.
>>
File: 1348210398316.jpg (49KB, 604x431px) Image search: [Google]
1348210398316.jpg
49KB, 604x431px
shit I had to refresh my system and lost all programs. KAT is gone, do you guys any good sauce where to find most art programs?
>>
>>2642682
Practice. Practice is the only way to go.

Do 100 of those exercises and you'll improve.

Also read "How To Draw" By Scott Robertson. He's got similar exercises.
>>
>tfw literally incapable of drawing anything below the ribcage
End my life

Also I know that from the top of the head to the bottom of the crotch it's 4 heads but god damn that shit always just looks too long to me
>>
>>2643520
>tfw incapable of drawing anything above the hip
How the fuck do you draw torsos? It's so full of empty space in my mind, that I have a hard time with it.
>>
>>2642477

Thanks, but the way they fade out don't look anything like the pic I posted? The lines should have hard edges only. Perhaps it's possible to achieve by adding some kind of texture as in Photoshop. I guess I'll just have to play around with the settings and look up different brushes.
>>
>>2642682

Do contour drawings directly in ink with no pencil underlay. Focus on trying to really nail the angles that you see. When you gain some momentum you're able to get angles right without looking at the paper.
>>
To what extent does physical coordination affect your ability to learn how to draw? I broke my elbow as a kid and i've had shitty hand writing ever since.
>>
>>2643612

Can you draw a line? Or a circle?
>>
Has anyone paid into the foundation group/john park patreon? I've never seen people mention it here. Are there any specific vids worth getting? I'm mostly interesting in filling in what I'm missing from Han's Sketching II and possibly the digital painting/value stuff if its more coherently organized than Ctrl Paint
>>
File: 1408738641522.jpg (64KB, 1278x850px) Image search: [Google]
1408738641522.jpg
64KB, 1278x850px
I am a noob so sorry if this is a stupid question but how exactly do (realist) painters and sculpters come up with faces? Do they use references? Do they just draw idealized features? Or are you able to just play around with features and make up a face from scratch like with the character creator of a video game if you know anatomy?
>>
>>2643707
Combination of hundreds of hours of practice using references and idealization.

Once you learn the basics of how to make a face, you can make any face you want because you understand how to mess with proportions.
>>
To all digital artists: do you prefer drawing with anti-aliasing on or off? Is there a legitimately better option?

Sincerely, an oekaki artist.
>>
not sure if its ok to ask this questions here.
are there any canadians who can recommend some cheap colour print shops? ideally, i'd like to load up a usb with a ton of reference images and make a binder of them, but also dont want to pay an arm and a leg.

brampton, missisauga area preferred.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCsCatvigtw at around 8:43, he uses a knife to apply paint and it looks really nice. How can I achieve this effect digitally? I'm using Gimp 2.0
>>
File: meme.gif (72KB, 400x307px) Image search: [Google]
meme.gif
72KB, 400x307px
does this actually work always? i dont really understand this and like how would it accurately get arm lengths right? the forearm isnt the same length as the brachium, right? I guess they are close in length, but i believe humerus is longer than the radius and ulna. so yeah, does this actually work? It seems like a lazy person tutorial, but maybe i'm just a cuck.
>>
>>2644035

If you wanna, sure, but learn to draw it foreshortened properly though is my opinion. It will help you down the road.
>>
>>2641806
What's the deal with forcing proportions?

Don't know what it does so I didn't turn it on
>>
File: wesley burt.jpg (342KB, 1024x805px) Image search: [Google]
wesley burt.jpg
342KB, 1024x805px
>>2641806
How do I draw eyes like Wesley?
>>
>>2644035
>line from wrist to shoulder could be any length
>perpendicular line could have any end point
>second line isn't even added at the midpoint of the first in the example

To be honest the only thing this will tell you is where to place your elbow on one of two (!) axes when your wrist, elbow and shoulder are all aligned on a flat plane (and it's not at the midpoint, it's closer to the wrist as the forearm is shorter than the upper arm). That seems like pretty useless information imho.
>>
I want to zoom in on photo shop using keyboard shortcuts, I don't like how I HAVE to hit the ctrl button then hit +. It just defeats the purpose of a keyboard short cut. I have to use my pen hand and my left hand to use this. Is there something I'm missing?
>>
>>2644133
Otherwise ill keep using krita, or am I just stunting myself by using an arguably lesser software. In the long run of course.
>>
>>2644121
>>2644101
thanks dudes!
>>
File: 1458539726729.jpg (53KB, 604x604px) Image search: [Google]
1458539726729.jpg
53KB, 604x604px
I just watched the proko video on overhand vs tripod grip and I'm kind of confused when to use which. I realize that overhand is for large, gestural strokes, but if I'm inking should I be using it too? And I'm not sure how small I should get before I switch to tripod.

This is really frustrating because I've been grinding my fundamentals and gotten decent at drawing from reference with tripod grip alone. I feel like I'm totally fucked and this is going to really set me back as I get used to using overhand grip.
>>
>>2643237
try extra torrents

that's what I've been using in the last few weeks

it doesn't have as much stuff as kat but it's still good
>>
File: 1465834264060.jpg (76KB, 633x738px) Image search: [Google]
1465834264060.jpg
76KB, 633x738px
Hey /ic/ has anyone here tried KRATOM before?
I just ordered 25 grams, don't know what to expect.

Also what do I tell my parents when they see the bag?
>>
File: 1379852391729.jpg (585KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
1379852391729.jpg
585KB, 1680x1050px
>>2644211
right thanks. the only torrents I find are by Sadeem. Are they trustworthy? I find them a bit strange
>>
>>2644266
dunno man, I only got like 5 torrents from this site, and I don't even check names, I just go for what it has the most seeders

that's my rule of thumb with torrents and it never failed me so far
>>
>>2644153
>tone
a big advantage of pencil, overhand grip is the only way to use it.
>fingers/wrist
the overhand grip limits your ability to use those, forcing you to use your elbow/shoulder, which is extremely important for a beginner to learn

That being said, you can disregard the overhand grip if you only draw digitally or with pen/fineliner/ink, but you'll still have to pay attention to your shoulder.

Karl Gnass drawing with tone using the overhand grip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjIy1fYdXlw
>>
>>2644035

Have you tried looking in a fucking mirror? Sometimes it's the best way to figure things out.
>>
>>2641806
Do you guys keep all of your drawings? Sketches, Studies, etc?

It feels like Im hording, but I enjoy looking at my improvements.
>>
>>2644327

Always.

I actually love looking at my bookshelf and seeing filled sketchbooks. It's a physical reminder of the journey.

Sometimes I do throw away scrap doodles or warm-up exercises though.
>>
>>2644327
Yes. Why the fuck would you not?

Keep EVERYTHING
>>
I'm about to get into perspective, should I follow pic related or drawabox?
>>
Might not be the place to ask but I've recently stopped holding my pencil like a retard and I'm now holding it correctly with the tripod grip, however I'm not really used to it yet and feel quite restricted in my movements.

I don't draw much but I'm gonna go through some of the books in the sticky soon, I'd like to get more comfortable holding and creating reliable lines and shapes beforehand. Should I just be grinding like 100 circles, 100 straight lines, 100 boxes in perspective?

Any specific exercises beyond that you'd recommend? Thanks
>>
File: img_8966.jpg (4MB, 3000x4000px) Image search: [Google]
img_8966.jpg
4MB, 3000x4000px
>>2645091

That book is good, then get How to Draw by Scott

>>2645261

Yes but don't just do that, draw for fun too, I hope you're doing the tripod grip correctly, check videos of famous artists drawing and take mental notes, basically just get used to it, It will get comfortable soon
>>
>>2645476

Is that Varg? Is he doing landscaping for a living now?
>>
>>2645486

He runs a YouTube channel now, thuleanperspective, check it out he has a lot of quality content
>>
>>2645261
Do lesson 1 of drawabox if you're going to be grinding out shapes anyway.
>>
Is their any online figure drawing or line art courses that have a lesson/assignment format like drawabox or schoolism?
>>
Is it wrong to be shit at face studies when you just want to do stylization for that part of the body?
>>
Why lips always look like shit no matter how I try?
>>
>>2645860
Don't draw the outline. Try just filling in lightly how the lips look.
>>
recognize the artist for me please?
>>
Is there a way to select a layer by clicking on it in the canvas in CSP?
>>
Real talk, why does Robertson say ignore the major axis? Its a major part of making Ellipses look right in space. Even Norling makes a point of telling you to think about it. I get saying don't get caught up in a real mechanical major (in that its actually slightly off center) but the 90 degree on the minor is hugely important.
>>
Why is the narrow line between light and shadow darker than the shadow?
Sometimes I see it being represented in drawings/paintings, sometimes it isn't. I need to understand why exactly it happens so I can understand when to place it.
>>
>>2646129
are you thinking of reflected light?
the shadow is lighter because light is reflected on it from other things.
see a picture of the earth: there is no reflected light in the shadow area, just pitch black darkness.
did i help?
>>
File: sub_story_watts7_03[1].jpg (88KB, 660x875px) Image search: [Google]
sub_story_watts7_03[1].jpg
88KB, 660x875px
>>2646140
I don't know if it has a name, that's what I need so I can study on it (if it has one).
Here's a pic, I should have posted an example in first place I'm sorry.
See the general light/shadow area is divided by an even darker line, which always seems to be very narrow.

It probably has to do with reflected light, but is it always narrow? Why isn't it there on the bottom of the cheek?

I generally understand that a nearby surface will bounce some light, but only for surfaces that are relatively close together / reflecting a ton of light, like the sky or a reflective floor.
I cannot understand why this darker line exists on the face of this drawing.

I've seen the same happen on legs, arms, stomach etc.
>>
>>2646158
What you're probably referring to is called the "core shadow". It sites near the terminator line, and is the darker than most of the shadow because it receives less bounce like due to its angle. It's not that obvious in your drawing though. Also sometimes in drawings it will look a bit strange or thin, and that's possibly because the artist drew a heavy line along the terminator to delineate the shadow shapes then later filled in the shadows with a flat even tone that is slightly lighter.
>>
>>2646164
>and is the darker than most of the shadow because it receives less bounce like due to its angle
Does it have to do with being the first surface not being hit by a direct stream of light behaving in some unique manner? This part is one I want to explore more in depth, I feel I need to know exactly how light bounces around this core shadow so I can represent it properly.

In any case, I got a name now, so that is enough to do research on my own. Thank you very much!
>>
>>2646183
>Does it have to do with being the first surface not being hit by a direct stream of light behaving in some unique manner?
No it behaves in the same manner. It just has to do with angles. Imagine a sphere being lit from above. The parts of the sphere that face upwards at all will be in direct light. All the parts that do not face upwards will be in shadow. Now if the ground were some pure black surface then there would be no light reflected off it, so the shadow areas on the sphere would be black as well since there is no bounce light. But if the ground were white there would be a lot of light reflecting off it that fills the shadows of the sphere. The parts of the sphere that are facing downwards to the ground the most will receive the most bounce light, and the parts that are not facing downwards quite as much receive less. So as you get areas of the sphere that are roughly perpendicular (in this case) to the ground they will receive neither full direct light from above nor much bounce light from below and thus be the darkest part of the shadow. You have a band of darkness called the core shadow that is "pinched" between the full direct light and the majority of the bounce light.
>>
I just started inking my work after pretty much only ever doing pencil sketches. Even though the finished inked drawings look more clean because there aren't shitloads of stray lines everywhere, they look way less natural and just look weird. Do I just have to practice inking way more? Or is this just how inked products are by nature? I prefer the look of the sketches much more, but they don't look like finished products so I dunno what to do
>>
>>2646310
You add roughness by texture, hatching and black filled areas for shadows.

If by "inking" you just mean going over the main contours of the major shapes, that's just shit tier and worthless inking.
>>
>>2646012
anyone?
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (54KB, 667x430px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.jpg
54KB, 667x430px
>>2646158
>>2646129
>narrow line
not necessarily
Its primarily caused by light interacting as a tangent to round objects (round i.e. change in plane), but is accentuated by reflected light. read 1. and 2.

Pic related, looking at the spheres represented by circles a,b and c
a. the change in plane is immediate
b. the change in plane is more gradual
c. the change in plane is slow and very gradual
respectively, they would have increasing thickness of core shadows
now if we had a sphere d. with a very big radius (so much that an arc would appear horizontal) it only follows that it would have a very thick core shadow; the approximate perpendicular area is much larger than the other spheres

Because of this, small spheres will have a sharper edge than bigger spheres. Basically, if a plane turns quickly (i.e spheres with small radii), it will have a sharp edge, and a thinner core shadow. If a plane turns slowly (i.e. spheres with large radii) it will have a soft edge, and thicker core shadow
>>
Does anyone have any good resources for drawing skulls and studying skull proportions? Most of the references on google are shit
>>
>>2646315
Kinda reminds me of durer.
>>
>>2646505

Ive been using this occasionally.
>>
>>2646505

If you're looking for animals, try this.

http://1kai.dokkyomed.ac.jp/mammal/en/index_eng.html

It's kinda a pain to navigate but it has a lot of images. Most of which have 4-5+ angles.
>>
What are the must haves for traditional drawing? Like for inking, color markers/pens, etc.
I've been drawing digitally pretty much since I've started art, but I recently found that my traditional stuff looks much better than anything I've drawn on a tablet
>>
is it normal to have fun while drawing ? i just learned how to use the LAB color mode and i've never been so happy, confident, and motivated
>>
>>2646649
you lucky bastard !
>>
what are some good charcoal brushes I can download for photoshop cs6?
>>
>>2646709
check out the one made my deharme on Deviantart
>>
>>2646712
thank you!
>>
>>2646718
you are welcome my friend !
>>
File: abstraction.jpg (116KB, 929x800px) Image search: [Google]
abstraction.jpg
116KB, 929x800px
I've been staring at a worksheet that is supposed to explain the Reilly method for over an hour and I don't understand how this is supposed to be effective.

It seems like half the "flows" arbitrarily switch depending on the pose and that there is no way to show the direction of the limbs.

Is this actually an effective way to do figure drawing from imagination or is this a really overly complicated way to do a gesture drawing?
>>
>>2646829
the whole idea with the head method is understanding the planes of the face so its easier to add tone. so im assuming the body method is the same thing... it just an intuitive way of remembering the placement of all the major and some major planes. also link?
>>
>>2646829
Drawabox talks about direction of limbs by using boxes or hexagonal prisms and using their planes to show direction.
>>
what's a good way to start learning how to draw porn
>>
>>2646837
Learning anatomy for one.
>>
>>2646839
yeah but what about the sex parts
>>
>>2646854
That's just like making a puzzle, anon. Just put anatomy and anatomy together. Use references and you know, learn composition for maximum effect.
>>
>>2646858
i find dicks very hard to draw, anon ;-;
>>
>>2646866
study them good ole red rockets just like you would with any other part of the human body anon
you can do it desu i believe in you uwu
>>
>>2646331
Thank you.
>>
When does one can stop studies and gestures and actually draw what he likes for his projects?
>>
>>2647031
you're wasting your time if you only study.

you should be primarily making creative work, and looking at reference material when you have questions along the way. As you work you'll naturally be finding things to work on that you can devote a FOCUSED study where you're setting out to study something specific.

If you're a total beginner then do a mix of studying fundamental with short creative pieces applying what you learn.
>>
If I'm understanding Proko correctly, a box with right angles is an impossible box, since to have right angles you would have to be looking directly at one side. If this is true, then why do box drawings in one point perspective have right angles? Isn't that wrong?
>>
So whenever I put down sketch lines they leave fissures on printer paper.
I used a 5-6H pencil today and barely touched the paper, I had to strain my eyes to even see the guidelines - come charcoal rubbing, white fucking lines cause the pencil left fissures.

This is frustrating.
Do hard pencils cut the paper more even though they seem to leave less visible marks than soft ones? Is it the paper? Am I retarded? What should I do?

It's driving me up the walls because I feel discouraged to sketch now cause it'll fuck the entire study up.
>>
>>2641806
I got a ugee draw pad. I opened up Photoshop, and the fucker only draws straight lines. Its Photoshop, cuz it worked on paint.net. Im stumped. I reset Photoshop, did all that. Still does it.
>>
>>2647625
They're trapezoidal prisms
>>
>>2647625
>box with right angles is an impossible box, since to have right angles you would have to be looking directly at one side.
This is true in real life, but the perspective everyone uses is like a projection on a plane, the kind you see in videogames. Obviously the farther you are from the center of the point of view the more distorted things gets, see the box on lower right. This is unavoidable and that's why videogames use fov less than 90.
If your image were the view/camera of a first person shooter and you turned left, there wouldn't be right angles anymore.
>>
File: tumblr_nrdmjit0q41qcsc7lo1_1280.jpg (252KB, 1280x724px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nrdmjit0q41qcsc7lo1_1280.jpg
252KB, 1280x724px
When it comes to environment and high detail level stuff in photoshop mainly, what resolution should you work at? So many of these concept artist seem to do stuff that looks like it was done in some ridiculous resolution and sized down but they can make substantial detail in a piece. (pics the most relevant thing I have on hand, apologies)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nImc75t8gWk
>>
>>2647632
its because youre using shit paper, printer paper is very thin and delicate with a super fine surface. Its not meant to hold any external pressure (i.e. sketching). Invest in cheap sketching pad from walmart.
>>
how do i find streamers who aren't bottom tier weeaboos
>>
>>2647724
>looks like it was done in some ridiculous resolution and sized down
Ridiculous as in a large canvas or a small canvas?

Barely skimmed the video, but based on his zoom percentages it looks like he started at a smaller size, then upscaled it later. Near the beginning 50% zoom is entirely visible on screen, whereas later 50% zoom is larger than the monitor resolution.

Starting small then later upscaling lets you lay in your large shapes easily with no computer lag. The larger size is generally large enough so that the size of an individual pixel doesn't limit your brush performance. The final that you see posted on the web is a smaller version of the original psd.

I like to keep my smallest dimension at least 3000px, but I'll often go larger than that. You have to just gauge it on what your computer can handle, and what level of detail you need. Finer detail means you need a larger working canvas. Basic brushes might work fine at small sizes, but a lot of custom brushes really do have a minimum size to get the intended look to the strokes.
>>
>>2647724
>>2647800
Forgot to mention the best rule of thumb IMO:

If you have to zoom in more than 100%, then your canvas was too small. If 100% zoom is fine for laying in your details, then whatever custom brushes you use will probably be behaving normally. Don't know how well that rule holds up for very large, low resolution monitors or very small, high resolution monitors, but you get the idea.
>>
>>2647632
Charcoal works best on paper that is heavier and has a fair amount of tooth. It's far from ideal to use printer paper, and I have no idea why you're carving guidelines into the page with a 6h pencil and expecting charcoal not to show them. 6H is a very hard grade. Stick with pencils only for smooth paper, and get some heavy rough paper for charcoal. If you have to lay down guidelines, use something like a B or 2B pencil and a light touch.

Get some fixative spray for your charcoal drawings too, especially if you're using a sketchbook.

>>2646592
"Traditional Drawing" covers a huge variety of tools. You can draw anything as long as you have access to sticks, fire, and a relatively flat surface. Use whatever makes the marks you want to make and is accessible and comfortable for you.
>>
I'd like to get into art. I currently, of course, am absolute shit. Even my stick figures look autistic. I've read both of the stickies. But haven't tried anything yet, as I'd like to know what materials would be best for a beginner, and what order & schedule I should learn / study the fundamentals with. My current free time is from 6:00pm-9:00pm and then 11:00pm-3:00am. During these times I'll be mostly uninterrupted, and would usually just be wasting my life playing vidya. Thanks in advance for advice.
>>
File: 1471036265949.jpg (67KB, 452x452px) Image search: [Google]
1471036265949.jpg
67KB, 452x452px
> tfw noone answers your questions
Feelsbadman
>>
>>2647825
If you're the kind of guy that uses tfw then I'm glad that nobody did.
>>
which oil paints are safe to use in a relatively small room with no real ventilation? besides geneva
>>
>>2647817
If you have a pencil and paper, you have all the materials you need to start.
Optional upgrades: a "normal" pencil (i.e. not mechanical), a sketchbook or any other non-lined paper

I recommend starting with drawabox to get the basics down and to get your muscle memory started the right way. After that, it depends on what you want to draw.

(ps sucking is completely normal and expected)
>>
>>2647817
Soft drawing pencils and ballpoint pens are probably a good place to start.

For pencils, HB, 2B and 4B drawing pencils provide a nice range, but some cheap HB writing pencils and a softer pencil with a fat core (like Prismacolor Ebony or General's 555) are sufficient for most things. You'll want to get a knife with replaceable blades like a snap-off utility knife and a sandpaper paddle to sharpen your pencils, as well as an ordinary electric/manual sharpener for when you just want a sharp point quickly. You can also consider a 2mm lead holder (with a rotary sharpener) instead of woodcase pencils. Good 2mm leads cost 50 cents to a dollar, which is comparable to good drawing pencils.

Ballpoint pens are usually very similar. Cheap medium (1.0mm) Bic Cristal Sticks are just fine. I like fine (0.7mm) Zebra ballpoints. Not much to say about these. They can do almost everything a pencil can and force you to think ahead because you're working with ink.

You'll want a lot of cheap paper, like printer paper, for warmups and throwaway stuff, and something a little heavier with some texture for longer drawings. A sketchbook or sketchpad+clipboard is fine. If you intend to do graphite drawings in your sketchbook, you'll need to get some fixative spray.
>>
>>2647817
(cont.)
A copypasta that gets posted sometimes (that I'm working through) is:

"1: Read Perspective Made Easy and do all the exercises.
2: Read How to Draw by Scott Robertson and do all the exercises and watch the videos.
3: Read Figure Drawing by Andrew Loomis and/or Michael Hampton and do all the exercises.
4: Read Drawing the Head and Hands by Loomis and do all the exercises.
5: Read Force by Michael Mattesi.
6: Read How to Render by Scott Robertson and do all the exercises.
7: Read Color and Light by James Gurney and do all the exercises.

There you go, with 4 hours of focused practice a day (don't check your smartphone every 30 seconds) this training will last a whole year or a bit more. Also you need money to buy the books and a cintiq or intuos pro and ellipse templates etc.

After you complete that just do what you want for a while, explore styles, what you like to paint and such. THEN make a list of the things you are not good at and you want to learn and get to it."

I'd add some kind of observational drawing book like Keys to Drawing or Drawing on the Right side of the brain in the beginning.

Drawabox.com has almost an entire course for learning to draw with a pen, and if you choose to work through that you'll need some fiber-tipped pens. There's very little difference in quality with these; an 08 Micron is the same as a 0.5mm Staedtler or most other pens like that. A few years ago Sharpie introduced their own technical pens that are less than half the price of the above pens, although they have grayer ink. The Fine and Medium Sharpie Pens (not markers) correspond to 0.3mm and 0.5mm technical pen sizes.
>>
>>2647817

Others have given good advice, but I'll just give you one nugget too in regards to supplies.

Don't get a nice sketchbook - get a dirt cheap one, or just use printing paper. Having a nice sketchbook can be paralyzing, you don't want to fuck it up with a bad drawing, and you're going to have a lot of bad drawings to get out of your system. If you keep a sketchbook, don't treat it like a work of art in and of itself, the videos you see where artists flip through a sketchbook and every piece is great are usually made as a piece of art in and of themselves by artists who've been drawing a long time.

I think having clip binders with hole punched paper is a great solution to this. If you want a nice collection of the art you like you've got it, but you can still remove stuff you didn't like.
>>
>>2647895
How far are you into it?
>>
>>2647901
Not very far. I'm trying to get serious again after a long break and trying to get my pen coordination back with drawabox exercises.
>>
>>2647817
Honestly anon (and any other newbies/beginners on this board), if you're brand new to art dont even worry about the sticky or 'doing it right' yet.

Start drawing as much as you can during the time you have, have fun. Doodle, just get your pencil on the paper and find a love for art. Dont worry about making something nice.

Once you're in the habit of doing art and find something you enjoy about it, then you can worry about studying. If you want you can practice drawing things from life or photos but don't think of them as studies.
The point is to have fun.

Once you draw whatever you want consistently for at least 2 weeks/a month you can start incorporating the more rigorous study aspect.

After that start with basic books in the sticky. Draw everything around you as much as you can. Always be analyzing and observing even if you don't have a pencil in your hand at the time.
Learn the sight-size method to make still life and studies easier. Do a lot of gesture drawing, watch vilppu or download his manual at least.
Focus on forms rather than anatomy. Study anatomy indepth only once youre fully past the symbol drawing phase.

Draw what you want, don't wait until you're 'good enough' to draw it. If it sucks then figure out what sucks and study it. If you can draw something because you don't know what it looks like, then google it and study it.
You can always redraw it again.

/ic/ had a rather toxic mentality of making art all work or to jump in to ridiculous work loads, or to only focus on studies and not actually attempt to make real art. Don't do that. Have fun first, make sure this is something you enjoy and want to dedicate time in. Start drawing what you want to draw now, dont just do studies. You improve what you work on. If you just do studies you will only be good at studies.

As for supplies, get a bunch of printer paper and a variety of pencils and pens. Nothing fancy. A sharpener and an eraser too.
>>
What is rendering and how do I do studies and practices of it to get better at it?
>>
File: takameechee.jpg (421KB, 1458x2000px) Image search: [Google]
takameechee.jpg
421KB, 1458x2000px
Recommendations on brushes/software to achieve this painterly look? What type of painting methods should I study?
>>
I want to draw women and I like what "Creating Characters with Personality" has to offer. Are there any books touching this subject or books as a whole that I should checkout?
>>
How do you do two point perspective if one or both vanishing points are located so far outside the frame that you can't even mark them on the canvas? Or do you just never use a perspective like that?
>>
>>2648183
That means the straight lines of the picture are near to horizontal. You should be good with only judging with your eyes.
>>
File: a box.png (39KB, 500x428px) Image search: [Google]
a box.png
39KB, 500x428px
>>2648188
Forgive the crude example but are the lines here 'nearly horizontal' to you? There has to be something stupidbly obvious that I'm not getting.
>>
>>2648191
Sometimes you just have to visualize. Focus on a point and keep it in your peripheral vision then make those lines. Once you've got two or more lines going toward a vanishing point you can always follow those lines to find the point again. It is going to take some practice, but you'll be better for it.
>>
>>2648195
It's more or less what I've been doing so far. Thanks anyway.
>>
Can anyone recommend some good drawing exercises/tutorials/books on hands? That's my biggest struggle right now.
>>
File: tumblr_lt4ym7ZSfC1qfs78no2_500.png (359KB, 478x750px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lt4ym7ZSfC1qfs78no2_500.png
359KB, 478x750px
>>2648183
maybe this answers your question
http://e1n.tumblr.com/post/11504826788/alternate-link-in-case-the-pictures-wont#permalink-notes
>>
File: 1465488864704.png (681KB, 593x746px) Image search: [Google]
1465488864704.png
681KB, 593x746px
>>2647036

I disagree, in my opinion you should treat studying like you're in school and cranking through homework and personal projects. When you're the student you don't have time to be making finished pieces that lacks certain areas for showcasing to normies for a few likes on your blog. Creative work will come when you know all the ingredients to a perfect dish. Applying what you learned to what you want to get into is important but nothing polished meant for a portfolio, not until you're actually ready for a portfolio.
>>
Hello, I am long term borrowing a tablet from a friend and am wondering what software I should use to draw into. Drawing in photoshop or clip studio paint would be nice but I am a poor student and basically live week to week with the money I DO have. Is GIMP an okay alternative? or does anyone else have any suggestions?
>>
>>2648284
And when are you actually ready for a portfolio?
>>
File: Asul.(Chaos.Drive).full.1848907.jpg (2MB, 1000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
Asul.(Chaos.Drive).full.1848907.jpg
2MB, 1000x1333px
>>2648291
When you can take a finished piece you did and compare it to the quality of work submitted to a company you'd like to work for and say "yeah, my shit is right on the money."
>>
>>2648191
Seriously man, the vanishing points in this picture are really close to edge of the paper. You asked what to do in case it's really far. So the pic is not related to your problem at all. Just go practice and try putting the VPs really far and really close, see how it frames and distorts the box. Figure it out visually.
>>
>>2648288
Krita and Medi Bang Paint.
>>
>>2648310
Thank you, really appreciate it.
>>
Is using the stabilizer tool in SAI a bad habit?
I can't draw lines perfectly straight unless i have it set on 10.
>>
>>2648315
Yeah, you can do straight lines with shift.
>>
This is a question related to making comics.I have grasp the fundies pretty good , they are not perfect but let's say they are above average. I have some problems with paneling and the story flow. Some people suggested to copy and study other comics as practice for a while so i can understand the process of creation and get a hand of it. I've seens alot of mangaka assistents are doing this and most of them started out like this. I have some books related to graphic novel/comic creation. So should i :

>first : study the books
>second: start studying comics and copying
>third: start sketching and creating your story

Ofcourse , meanwhile i will make some short stories and work on the fundamentals Sorry for my grammar mistakes.

>pic not related , just dumping some art along with my question
>>
>>2647642
Someone please. I can't draw until its fixed
>>
File: poor_fairy_hunter_2_by_karbo.jpg (119KB, 651x663px) Image search: [Google]
poor_fairy_hunter_2_by_karbo.jpg
119KB, 651x663px
Please give me tips on painting slimy/wet surfaces and textures, I'm planning to draw a very detailed open mouth, but realistic, you know the drill. What should I have in mind before I proceed? Not a vorefag or anything btw, but circumstances require this painting.
>>
>>2648345
try drawing ur first comic first and then compare it to comics you like. Try pinpointing what are you doing wrong and what the other guy did instead
>>
How do I gitgud at armour
Rather, how do you draw it so it doesn't look like a slab of rock fixed to their arms and legs?
What's the trick here, any good resources for this kinda thing?
>>
File: tumblr_nszlcmiCdT1ryv6tlo1_1280.jpg (281KB, 1280x636px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nszlcmiCdT1ryv6tlo1_1280.jpg
281KB, 1280x636px
Does anyone know any good resources for rendering in pen and markers and spotting blacks?
>>
File: tumblr_n1gbuveyEZ1rnclquo2_1280.jpg (206KB, 500x843px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n1gbuveyEZ1rnclquo2_1280.jpg
206KB, 500x843px
>>2648426
The secret stays in understanding the form of the object but also the armour itself. What i mean by that is , you need to have the fundies okey but to also understand the components of armour.
>>
File: tumblr_n1gbuveyEZ1rnclquo5_1280.jpg (248KB, 500x843px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n1gbuveyEZ1rnclquo5_1280.jpg
248KB, 500x843px
>>2648435
>>
File: tumblr_n1gbuveyEZ1rnclquo6_1280.jpg (230KB, 500x843px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n1gbuveyEZ1rnclquo6_1280.jpg
230KB, 500x843px
>>2648437
>>
File: tumblr_n1gbuveyEZ1rnclquo3_1280.jpg (223KB, 500x843px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n1gbuveyEZ1rnclquo3_1280.jpg
223KB, 500x843px
>>2648438
>>
File: tumblr_n1gbuveyEZ1rnclquo4_1280.jpg (203KB, 500x843px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n1gbuveyEZ1rnclquo4_1280.jpg
203KB, 500x843px
>>2648441
>>
File: tumblr_n1gbuveyEZ1rnclquo7_1280.jpg (280KB, 500x843px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n1gbuveyEZ1rnclquo7_1280.jpg
280KB, 500x843px
>>2648443
I hope this helped.
>>
>>2648400
can give me some arguments on why I should do what you said ? I'm not sarcastic or anything , i'm just trying to be as productive as possible and wise in the choices i make
>>
File: sycra_simplified_anatomy.png (2MB, 2550x3300px) Image search: [Google]
sycra_simplified_anatomy.png
2MB, 2550x3300px
Would you say Sycra's simplified anatomy thing would be enough to learn from or do I still need to study from other anatomy sources?

How is his skeleton? Is it in anyway better than Loomis?
>>
>>2648456
It's way too stylized. No it's not good. To be able to draw the body in your own style you need to understand how the muscles work the proportions , then you exaggerate what you like and make it stylized.
Just read the sticky. It's literally the first thing you see on this god damn image board. Draw realistic then go stylized.
>>
>>2648456
It's stylised to the point of being broken. Ignore that thing and learn anatomy from actual anatomy. At the very least go watch Hampton's CGMA class.
>>
File: sub-1714-01.jpg (35KB, 507x500px) Image search: [Google]
sub-1714-01.jpg
35KB, 507x500px
Do you guys like to work on flat surfaces or angled surfaces?
I find that drawing is good for angled, but painting is fucking impossible with everything sliding off, water on my palette moving around, brushes falling off the table.
I have a table easel, but that doesn't help with everything else.
>>
>>2648489
It really depends on the chair I'm in. Flat surfaces are ass with a bad chair, but with a good chair, anything can go.
>>
>>2648468
>>2648474
It being simplified is attractive though. I'm pretty sure I know what you'll say when I say this, but Sycra said you don't really need to learn that much because you're going to forget a lot of it anyway.
>>
>>>2648443
>I hope this helped.

Mate. I will suck your dick as thanks
This is fucking PERFECT
>>
>>2648494
>Sycra said you don't really need to learn that much because you're going to forget a lot of it anyway.
???
Maybe if you're Sycra.
>>
>>2648494
>sycra said...

I'm not even going to bother with this shart
>>
>>2648496
glad i helped
>>
>>2648494
So look for a simplified model that's anatomically correct, not something that looks like a cartoon alien. Watts has models in the planes of the body and Reilly rhythms. No, you don't need to memorize every muscle insertion or plane change, no will tell that you need to, but how will learning from something that's factually wrong help you in the first place?
>>
>>2648528
Can't argue with that! Thank you.
>>
What does everyone on /ic/ mean by "construction"?
People always seem to mention it and it almost feels like a meme.
>>
File: 1423804912547.jpg (58KB, 720x698px) Image search: [Google]
1423804912547.jpg
58KB, 720x698px
>>2648543

It's not a meme!

To draw from the imagination, a head for example, you need to be able to draw a sphere, a blocky jaw, then planes of the head, all in perspective, like building an imaginary 3d object on a 2d surface. And THEN you use it as a base for your final pretty drawing of animu girl.

When you're really really good, you can do the construction in your head and draw the finished result directly on paper! Always having in mind the basic blocks in your head, you understand?
>>
>>2648549
So, construction should always be drawn for everything until you can internalize it?
>>
>>2648557
You fucking bet. It's something you practice until you can commit it to memory, you'll see that just after a few weeks of practice basic stuff will come to you naturally. But you can't get to that stuff if you don't bother to learn it first, and the best way to do so is to actually draw it out.
>>
Maybe I'm overthinking the severity of the game plan I'm trying to layout, but I have a SFW and NSFW art site that have quite a lot of followers on them. I stopped being active on them last February though due to me just focusing on finishing up my last semester at college and finding a job.
Now that everything has settled down i want to get back into it, but i feel kinda bad about just abandoning those sites for so long. Plus I always disliked that I had to seperate my art between two sites.

I was thinking of creating 1 new site for both my SFW and NSFW sites under a new custom domain to get rid of the .tumblr in the url, then creating a post on my old sites redirecting followers and visitors to my new site.
Do you think this would piss followers off? I could see how people would think it's unnecessary, but i think it'd be nice to just have one site. Plus I hate seeing that gap in activity in my archive.
I imagine it would piss off people who only want to see SFW art too.

I already feel kind of ashamed, when i logged onto my sites i had messages from followers asking where I went.
>>
>>2641806
I'm interested in start using grease pencils. can someone give me tips of how to use them, what kind of paper/surface to use and show me some drawings done using it?
>>
>>2648645
They're nice for figure drawing on toned paper or newsprint, grab a black and a white for highlights. Although I would suggest an oil-based pencil that's actually meant for drawing instead, like a Pitt Oil Base, Cretacolor Nero or Koh-i-Noor Negro.
>>
Damn it who got 666?
>>
>>2648670

>>2648666
>>
>>2648068
PS basic round brush and apply gaussian blur
>>
>>2647912
>Focus on forms rather than anatomy. Study anatomy indepth only once youre fully past the symbol drawing phase.
Can you explain further on this?
>>
>>2648669
thank you for the tips man, I'll surely take a look at the other pencils you recommended.
>>
File: 41csxXHXt3L._SX355_.jpg (15KB, 355x305px) Image search: [Google]
41csxXHXt3L._SX355_.jpg
15KB, 355x305px
So... I recently bought pic related.

I was wondering

1. Which would be the best canvas size to use it?
2. where can I learn to use it?

>inb4 it's shit
Yeah... it's small... maybe too fucking small... but it was the only one I could get.
>>
File: 1465322576643.jpg (42KB, 680x455px) Image search: [Google]
1465322576643.jpg
42KB, 680x455px
>>2648428
somebody pls
>>
>>2648951
canvas size really is up to personal preference, just make sure your screen ratio is the same as the surface you're drawing in, and is not gonna be easy as you think to get used to draw on tablet (I guess you're new to it, I could be wrong)
Is actually an ok tablet, I have a bamboo fun for 4 years or so now and is even smaller than that, you only need to get used to it

>>2649020
>rendering in pen/markers
anything by scott robertson, either how to render or how to draw.
>spotting blacks
this has to do with rendering but I think what really will help you with this is one of the basic premium tutorials of ctrl paint, download it from cgpersia or if you don't have an account I could upload the videos for you, no idea if you're interested.
>>
>>2649030
Thanks man, you don't need to go to the trouble. I really appreciate the advice.
>>
>>2648951
>1. Which would be the best canvas size to use it?
Canvas size is irrelevant to what tablet you use. Typically you want to paint on a canvas at least a few thousand pixels on each side if it is anything more than a sketch. A finished illustration might be painted around 5000 pixels tall or so, though some people go much larger than that.
>>
>>2649030
>you only need to get used to it

Your motor skills can only get so refined. If you use a tablet like that you are severely crippling yourself.
>>
Can you guys recommend me good place where i can learn manga drawing skills or where should i start
>>
What's the difference between Adobe's 10 dollar photoshop 'photography' plan and their 20 dollar one? Is the 10 dollar one gimped or something?
>>
File: 1459018827544.jpg (104KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1459018827544.jpg
104KB, 640x480px
Retard question but how do you rotate things while still preserving the perspective? Drawing lines from a vanishing point is easy, but what if your cube is tilted so the sides don't line up with the vanishing point? How do you make sure it's accurate?
>>
File: ukeplordofsmug.jpg (30KB, 460x287px) Image search: [Google]
ukeplordofsmug.jpg
30KB, 460x287px
>>2649039
yeah I think what I wanted to say is that it is possible, although not optimal.

>>2649035
too late already uploading it
>>
>>2649039
>Your motor skills can only get so refined. If you use a tablet like that you are severely crippling yourself.
I have it and it's not a problem at all. No idea how you could be crippling yourself unless you've never used one before.
>>
Any recommendations for a laptop or convertible to use for drawing? Does the surface pro 3/4 or ipad pro worth purchasing or is it just hype for their pen capabilities?
>>
I'm not interested in anything the industry is doing and I'd rather make a living on my own stuff. Am I missing out on anything major if I don't work at x company for several years or freelance clients?
>>
>>2649223
A stable job. More money.
>>
>>2649046
You have to draw separate vanishing points for objects that are not aligned? Seems kinda obvious.
>>
>>2649064
I've used the ipad pro, think of it like a digital sketchbook, but don't expect to create art with heavy rendering on there.
>>
File: portrait-4.jpg (68KB, 510x750px) Image search: [Google]
portrait-4.jpg
68KB, 510x750px
are there any crashcourses in rendering? especially matte painting?
>>
I woke up today feeling very off.
Not sure why but I think because the art school semester is right around the corner, I feel like I've wasted a lot of time. I have two weeks left and I'm trying to figure out how to best use this time to prepare me for my junior year.
Perhaps I should do some master composition studies, and some compositions of my own. Probably paint some more.
Any advice to take advantage of these two weeks?
>>
Does anyone have experience with this water soluble graphite/carbon stuff? I'm thinking about trying it out, but I'd like a second opinion on it first
>>
>>2649465
ctrl paint, scott robertson etc
also sauce pls
>>
File: portrait-2.jpg (128KB, 510x750px) Image search: [Google]
portrait-2.jpg
128KB, 510x750px
>>2649480
thanks, she's emma sinclaire
>>
>>2647753
>>2647811
Unfortunately I am not american so finding good drawing paper that doesn't cost $50 per sketchbook is a struggle, for the suggested american brands anyway.

Could I get statistics on the paper thickness/tooth for charcoal so I could maybe look for some valid alternatives?

Also, a second question: smudging is completely different than what I see on videos. Is it the same issue? It doesn't seem to matter how much charcoal I pour, it doesn't even out a surface and barely spreads.

Thank you regardless!
>>
File: right.jpg (171KB, 1200x831px) Image search: [Google]
right.jpg
171KB, 1200x831px
is there a way to map right-click in photoshop with a different panel? whenever I right-click, brush presets open up. but I'd like to open up the colors with it. where can I map this, because I have seen others doing it.
>>
>>2649565
Don't spend money on expensive paper for your charcoal drawings unless you want something archival. A pad of newsprint will work best, and it's dirt cheap.
>>
Can anyone tell me where to start for anatomy studies ? been looking for numeral books and sources online but it hard to know which one is fine and which one is not
>>
>>2649663
The sticky has the resources you need. Just go with it. You can't learn anatomy wrong anyways, it's a self-correcting process.
>>
Isn't anything you draw from imagination symbol drawing...?
>>
With watercolour reflections in water, should I do the water base then the reflection on top or the reflection then the water details?
>>
File: image.jpg (457KB, 1600x1064px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
457KB, 1600x1064px
Is the golden ratio ever not used in art?
Can a piece be effective without it?
Was it rightfully so valued by logicians and artists of yesteryear?
Also what is it?
>>
>>2649872
>Also what is it?

a recursive proportioning schema for designing things. Don't over think it.
>>
>>2649872
the golden ratio is pretty much useless http://www.fastcodesign.com/3044877/the-golden-ratio-designs-biggest-myth
>>
>>2649583
Are you sure that's what you want? i mean, right click for brush settings is pretty damn good, and you can choose colours with the C key...
>>
>>2649878
here's some more on the subject gurneyjourney(dot)blogspotdot)codot)uk/2013/01/mythbusting-golden-mean-part-1.html
sorry about the address, 4chan is being a nigger and wont let me post
>>
>>2649878
Do you have any examples of art without it?
>>
File: rubens_onschuldigen_grt.jpg (242KB, 1000x780px) Image search: [Google]
rubens_onschuldigen_grt.jpg
242KB, 1000x780px
>>2649903
wut? virtually anything, pic any random piece of art and there is a 90% chance the artist didn't think about the golden ratio at all. You can probably find it in any picture if you look hard enough but the same could be said of any random ratio, start looking for 2.976 and you will start finding it in various places. Here have a Rubens, as far as I know no golden ratio's.
>>
>>2649907
Damn Anon. I never knew.
>>
File: IMG_20160823_57931.jpg (27KB, 450x800px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160823_57931.jpg
27KB, 450x800px
when going through a book. is it better to keep doing one page a few times or do you guys one and done. i feel like a few times is still not enough for me but i may be over thinking it. im doing loomis books at the moment.
>>
File: MAGA asuka.jpg (2MB, 2324x3291px) Image search: [Google]
MAGA asuka.jpg
2MB, 2324x3291px
>>2641806
This was the OP for /trump general/ on /pol/.

Who drew this?
>>
File: vlcsnap-2016-05-24-03h17m24s279.png (550KB, 720x576px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2016-05-24-03h17m24s279.png
550KB, 720x576px
I was taking some screen caps from movies to do colour studies of, I took a bunch from the ring and it has some sort of scan lines running through it like pic related. Does anyone know what this is called and what causes it, I think it looks kind of neat.
>>
>>2650193
http://jdarnell.deviantart.com/gallery/

This one's for free, but next time learn how to reverse image search. In chrome you can do it by right clicking
>>
>>2650256

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interlaced_video

am I the only one who knows how to use google around here?
>>
>>2650267
thanks
>>
What's the downside of drawing with the arm instead of the wrist? Does it fuck up your shoulder instead?
>>
Are there any guidelines on how to become a decent at drawing/painting environments? Most of the material i can find (ie 99%) is about drawing characters or specific objects.
>>
File: foggy-horse-100mm.jpg (55KB, 1080x720px) Image search: [Google]
foggy-horse-100mm.jpg
55KB, 1080x720px
>>2641806
Need advice:
My grasp of contrast for saturation is completely out of whack.

Been practicing weekly trying to improve my grasp of lighting and such. What I've noticed is my .... contrast? The overall saturation levels in my work. I end up working in a really narrow window, such that I open up what I was doing the next day and realize it looks like it went through a grey filter or was painted from a reference shrouded in fog. It's an easy "fix" (not really) to just tweak the contrast in post editing, but if I had painted it at that "fixed" contrast in the first place I would have decided it didn't look right in the process of painting it. Yet what looks right in the process of painting it turns out to be too low of contrast when I view it the next day.

Like if I tried to paint pic related without fog, it would end up looking like this grey low contrast when viewing it later, yet while painting it I would have thought it looked fine.

Does my vision calibrate itself while I work on the painting or something? What's throwing me off?
>>
>>2650778

There is none, it's the most ergonomically sound way to draw. ANY repetitive motion can be damaging. Stretching, moving and strength training are your preventive measures.
>>
>>2650979
I have the same fucking problem.
>>
File: 81Ubp8BscEL._SL1451_.jpg (429KB, 1451x1431px) Image search: [Google]
81Ubp8BscEL._SL1451_.jpg
429KB, 1451x1431px
I have a question, I don't know if I can post here, it's the first time I come over this board.

How is this type of " drawing " ( ? ) called ?
>>
>>2650996

it's graphic design
you may also want to read on visual communication and applied arts, if you find this kind of art interesting
>>
>>2651004
when I type " graphic design " , I find only terrible pictures. This kind of, i don't know, 80's feeling ( ? again, i'm a total newbie in art ) , does it have a name ? or maybe artists that use it ?
>>
how to turn off opacity in krita? just want flats.
>>
>>2651016

your image doesn't channel one specific style AFAIK. art gets described as "graphic" when it has big uniform blocks of color, like your image. You can try searching comic book art, or 'pop art', for things like that. You also find these uniform blocks of color, and a minimalist style sorta like your image, in japanese printmaking - try searching "ukiyo-e". Finally, the "80's feeling" you describe... the little shapes and swirls in your image remind me of the "memphis group" or "memphis movement".
>>
File: 1422756605078.jpg (20KB, 505x441px) Image search: [Google]
1422756605078.jpg
20KB, 505x441px
>>2650991
>Re open thread to check for replies
>Fuck yes somebody knows how to work around this

>I have the same fucking problem.

fug
>>
>>2650996
That's a great album
>>
>>2651016

oh, ok, I thought you were asking a more general question

it's just "graphicized" realism, I don't think there is a special name for it, I didn't find anything about it after googling "hideto/eijin suzuki illustration"
>>
>>2651054
No wonder, there's a lot of japanese albums from the 80's that have this style, that's why I ask.

I'd love to have some wallpapers with this style, actually.

>>2651082

I know, right ? amazing performances

>>2651085

Okay, thanks for answering my question, i'll try searching a bit on my own for this kind of pictures!
>>
>>2651091

turns out I actually found something more specific, try googling "city pop"
>>
>>2651097

thanks, i just found out about it too. If you're any more interested, I also found the name of Hiroshi Nagai
>>
File: 5290175436_2667800071_o.jpg (87KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
5290175436_2667800071_o.jpg
87KB, 500x333px
total noob here:

are there any websites where i can find photos of simple poses to reference?

looking up shit like "reclining figure foreshortened" on google just gives me a bunch of other peoples' drawings
>>
>>2651125
check out these

http://www.posespace.com/posetool/default.aspx

http://www.posemaniacs.com/
>>
>>2650979

If you're doing it in color, how often do you check your values?
I regularly desaturate my drawing for this purpose, it's basically the color equivalent of flipping your canvas, because it's easy to get tunnel vision while you work.
>>
>>2651150
>how often do you check your values?

... how do you suggest I do so? Against a reference for an absolute value?

>I regularly desaturate my drawing for this purpose, it's basically the color equivalent of flipping your canvas, because it's easy to get tunnel vision while you work.

So you suggest this is something like color blindness from color fatigue?
>>
Is inking on an easel just a stupid idea or another skill I need to work on? I just got a desk easel for drawing and when I had finished a quick sketch and tried inking the results were horrible.
>>
>>2651125
quickposes.com is what i use
>>
File: value-scale.jpg (7KB, 600x156px) Image search: [Google]
value-scale.jpg
7KB, 600x156px
>>2651152

>... how do you suggest I do so?

Well like I said, what I do is fully desaturate my drawing. IE to full greyscale. Usually if something looks 'foggy' it isn't because your colors are off as much as your values are all too similar. Going based on what you described I'm willing to bet if you desaturated your problem drawing the value range would be between 3 and 6, and you just need to include some darker darks and lighter lights to make it pop.

If you desaturate fully and still can't regonize values intuitively you just need to do some practice exercises, IE manually creating value scales like pic related, or trying to identify where a color would fall on a value scale without using a color picker. Once you've got the hang of black and white try the same process in color.
>>
File: colourvalueboard.jpg (173KB, 1020x695px) Image search: [Google]
colourvalueboard.jpg
173KB, 1020x695px
>>2651170

Also in regards to color this might help as well.
>>
>>2651170
Values then are the issue? I'll be damned!

I desaturated it, then sampled the grescales. On a scale of 0-100 it ranged from ~25 to ~60. The "fixed" higher contrast had a larger range of values.

Sure enough!
Thanks for the help

So this makes me wonder then? Because I see photos of real objects under real lighting, and across the object itself won't use the full 0-10 value scale. It might only be 3-6, for example. But then when I paint the object it's own, floating on the canvas, even if the real thing has a limited band of values it still looks "foggy".
Then is this caused by a lack of full-value-range within the frame?

... should I be painting on anything other than a pure-white canvas? Because I'd taken up the habit of painting on a neutral-ish background. I wonder if that was affecting my sense of contrast.

>>2651185
Thanks, but how do I use this? Realistic value ranges for colors?
>>
>>2651204

>
So this makes me wonder then? Because I see photos of real objects under real lighting, and across the object itself won't use the full 0-10 value scale. It might only be 3-6, for example.

Not all drawings need a full range of values, lots of people suggest not using 0 and 10 at all except perhaps for a focal point. It's just that if something looks muddy usually values are the problem. Edges can be a thing too though, a sharp edge between a 3 and a 6 still looks like an edge and it can still look clean.

>should I be painting on anything other than a pure-white canvas?

There's nothing wrong with painting on a mid-tone canvas, it can actually be better because you can have, say, an 8 be your brightest value instead and look bright compared to your canvas (say it's a 5). Whereas if your canvas is pure white, nothing will look brighter than your background.

>Thanks, but how do I use this? Realistic value ranges for colors?

Basically. It's just a handy tool to show what values certain colors usually are, because it can be hard intuit at a glance.
>>
I just bought a ugee drawpad. I love it. Except in Photoshop, it only draws straight lines. It doesn't do this is paint.net. I tried restarting my PC, restarting Photoshop, resetting the settings, everything. Nothing fixes it. Any ideas?
>>
File: Bill_Wilson-0.jpg (79KB, 716x768px) Image search: [Google]
Bill_Wilson-0.jpg
79KB, 716x768px
>>2651082
>>
>>2651155
somebody pls
>>
So, how do I practice concepts like composition?
Would value master studies be good enough? Im not sure how to -start- composition.
I know the rule of thirds, the golden ratio, and other ways to break up the frame...but it's not like anatomy where I can practice specifically on the bicep, etc.
>>
I want to break 1000 notes on something: what do I make and post tonight?
>>
>>2651827
trap overwatch fanart
>>
>>2651827
Pls, don't be a backpatting whore
>>
Contributing knowledge for good karma
>>2651777
Master studies, or pause a well composed movie and do a study of it aswell. Movies almost have proper framing so its a good standard to try and make most of your work feel cinematic

>>2650784
first step is perspective. Like it or not, once you have it and composition down, environments become a lot easier. On top of that, do daily paintings of the type of environment you want to learn (for me, it was forests) do this until you get sick of it and do it some more. Eventually you will get a knack for it. As for specific help, James Gurney all the way

>>2649583
I would just set up my windows better so everything I need was just there, not try to re-map it. Give it a shot and you will see what your asking is kinda foolish

>>2648398
draw your surface, up the saturation then add as much refractory light as you see fit.

hope I helped any of you
>>
>>2651841
I've had it though. I'm sick of crunching down, studying and creating work for it to slide by unnoticed outside a handful of followers who feel obligated to like it. I just want to feel the glory of being nodiced for one post before I go back

>>2651832
Nah, has to be sfw, my family looks at my blog. So overwatch is out because any sfw is owned by a select few of drawfags
>>
How do you draw boobs, /ic/? Any helpful tutorials?
>>
>>2651877
Tons, look on DA.
>>
Where can I learn about the Reilly method? I've been searching for ages, am I just a retard at googlinf
>>
File: 1466028349913.png (174KB, 580x642px) Image search: [Google]
1466028349913.png
174KB, 580x642px
After deciding I want to draw for a living how do I get into the specifics of it? Which area, where to start, what to lurk on about and where to find more people with like minded goals

I feel like I'd be a thousand times more productive if I lifted that haze off my mind
>>
>>2641865
Cause water is this transparent looking blob that form irregular patterns, lines and droplets that spills everywhere on subjects. Being able to draw the subject covered in water is pretty hard, especially for hyper realism.
>>
>>2652036
>Draw for a living

How about.. don't? Do you understand how impossible it would be for you to make a viable living that way?

Stick to drawing as a hobby, perhaps someday you'll make some cash on the side.
>>
>>2652100
I'd love if you stuck to the question and kept your lack of spine to yourself

People like you piss me off
>>
>>2652021
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RmHOvmPJjE
This guy has a few videos.
>>
>>2649995
You don't necessarily have to copy his wacky cartoon faces. However it is an oversimplified way of introducing you to his Head construction method. I'd say you should be going over the pages as much as possible. You should be practising this shit weekly for at least a month. Really stick the foundations into your mind. Once you are really confident with building your heads just apply how you practised onwards.

The thing is, you're going to find yourself looking back in these books even after you finish. Always seek to fine tune your foundations and skills.
>>
>>2652110
danks
>>
>>2652104
>Lack of spine

Are you telling me that YOU out of every decent artist in the world, is going to make a living from drawing?

Wake up, you can't live with mommy and daddy forever. How on earth are you going to make the cash to pay bills? You don't even know the first step to accomplishing that feat, you haven't been out there and tried.

Are you fucken 13? here's a tip: don't study art as a degree.

A life of living like a loser is await you.
>>
Is gesture supposed to be an accurate 3D object and used for the construction of the figure afterwards or it's just some vague concept? Should I be worried about getting good at gesture drawing before starting to learn about figure drawing? Proko doesn't explain shit
>>
>>2647912
>Have fun first, make sure this is something you enjoy and want to dedicate time in.
I wish I knew how to unfuck myself, I went in with the mentality "learn to do something before actually doing it", and now drawing is some kind of shameful fun.
>>
All I need is printer paper and pencils as a complete beginner right? If so what type and brands you guys would recommend? I'm going to the store in a hour and would like to know what to look for. Should I also hold off on using a pen until I'm confident with the fundamentals?
>>
>>2652288
Gesture is really a thing you have to FEEL to understand because that's what it is. It's the flow of a figure. If you can feel the curve of a figure, that's the gesture. It's more obvious if you look at your favorite art pieces and see why it's pleasing.
>>
>>2652453
>what type and brands you guys would recommend?
It literally doesn't matter

>Should I also hold off on using a pen until I'm confident with the fundamentals?
Again, doesn't matter much. Just use a pen from the start if you want.
>>
>>2652453
Do drawabox and get those pens or just be a poorfag and use whatever you can scavenge because it doesn't matter since a #2 pencil and A4 paper is good enough. You can learn all the fundamentals with just that.
>>
>>2652288
Gesture = Long, curve lines that run around the figure.

Source: FIGURE DRAWING FOR ARTISTS.
Making Every Mark Count.
— STEVE HUSTON
>>
>>2652465
>Gesture = Long, curve lines that run around the figure.
Most straightforward meaning and yet the vaguest.
>>
Really fucking retarded question, but has anyone compiled a ranked list of like the top 1000 digital artists with example pics...that gets updated? Like I know they have a top 50/100 x artist ranking in some magazines or art books now and then. But is there a compiled definitive list? Is this anywhere? Concept, polished, western, or animu can all play, or maybe a different ranking for each but there would be horrific crossover.

For reasons of autism. Imagine knowing you're rank #xyz. It would be just like my shitty tournament fighting cartoons.
>>
>>2652535
Pixiv has that daily, weekly, monthly, etc.
>>
>>2652453
Any pencil

You might want to buy 1-2 ~0.5mm felt tip pens (they're also called fine liners or just ask for very thin markers) for draw a box but they're like $1 each
Pens leave a permanent mark so yeah, you probably might want to avoid using them in work until you're confident
>>
>>2652535
It's really stupid because rank is not tied to skill
>>
>>2652535
Who would decide the ranks? What criteria would they use? It's basically impossible to do fairly, and literally everyone would disagree with some of the choices. Once artists pass a certain threshold whether one is better than another is purely taste.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (16KB, 444x316px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
16KB, 444x316px
Okay, two questions.
First one is how do i make it so that that alt symbol stops showing up whenever i press alt?
And the second is; So i just upgraded to a new computer and along with it came windows 10. And when i started using my cintiq i quickly noticed that the pen wasnt responding when i was hovering it above the screen, but i had to hold my pen literally 1cm above the screen for it to register. And im used to holding it like 2-3cm above the screen otherwise, makes it feel like it's extremely laggy even if it isnt.
There arent any settings in the wacom tablet app that affects my issue so im more or less clueless.
>>
Are Manga Studio and Clip Studio Paint really completely the same? Why are they sold separately?
>>
>>2652640
Clip Studio is the newer version of Manga Studio
>>
>>2652535
1. Jaime Jones
2. Craig Mullins
3. Ruan Jia
Everyone else is literally worse than Hitler.
>>
>>2652551
>>2652462
>>2652461
Thanks anons
>>
>>2652588
To make the alt shit disappear:
Disable windows ink (deep in the wacom settings, there's a checkbox).

This disables pressure sensitivity in photoshop though, so you'll need to tell photoshop to use WinTab instead of Windows Ink:

1. create a notepad and type in:
# Use WinTab
UseSystemStylus 0
save it as a plain text file named PSUserConfig.txt
2. Open run command and type appdata and hit enter key
3. Go to location:
Roaming - Adobe - Adobe Photoshop CC2015 - Adobe Photoshop CC2015 Settings
4. Move the PSUserConfig.txt file to Adobe Photoshop CC 2015 Settings folder
>>
File: 31d.gif (156KB, 260x187px) Image search: [Google]
31d.gif
156KB, 260x187px
>>2652666
>Andree Wallin is worse than Hitler.

Well, to not make this an argument... He's really along based Crab Mullins.

Worth checking, too.
>>
What's the best way to start learning about light and how it works? Any books/specific resources?
>>
Asked this last thread but no one responded, how do I imitate glazing in digital?
>>
File: IMG_20160825_173226.jpg (379KB, 750x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160825_173226.jpg
379KB, 750x1000px
is trying to do accurate portraits (and generally still lifes) good beginner practice?

i find trying to be painstaking is kind of lame (and time consuming as hell bc i haven't got to anatomy or any tricks yet) vs. doing fun quick sketches by eye, but iirc proko said that both are important and beginners should especially strive for accurate representation - can anyone attest to this?

didn't get any feedback in beginner thread ;-;
>>
What's the best way to set aside time to draw and actually force yourself to?

I have trouble focusing on studies when I don't sit down and force myself to actually do them, so I want to schedule time to work on it, but my work schedule is incredibly volatile and I might work a night or a day shift or whatever and it tends to really fuck with my sleep schedule and motivation.

I'm thinking the answer is just to slap myself in the face, get over it, and just take time out of my free time to draw, but I want to know how other anons find time to focus and get better.
I desperately need to work on studies or something because I've drawn long enough without much improvement, since it's been about a year and a half since I did any actual work towards learning anatomy.
>>
File: Hyouka.full.1672050.jpg (400KB, 800x900px) Image search: [Google]
Hyouka.full.1672050.jpg
400KB, 800x900px
How should I go about picking a color between two colors? Like in pic related there's two distinct colors and I want to try to find a good balance between the two.
>>
>>2653395
Drawing details requires measuring skills, placement and proportion, unlearning symbol drawing; still life also involves use of 3D shapes and perspective.

I don't know, you probably can practice those other way. If by quick sketches you mean skimping on details then I guess they can be ok as long as they're on model, just do more of those then. Don't stick to just portraits and still life if they're unfun, you'll lose motivation.
>>
Does anyone know the name of an artist from deviantart who used to draw anime in the style of japanese prints? I think is was apple-something. It usually had multiple girls in the picture and lots of patterns.
>>
>>2653471
Color Theory.
>>
I'd like to buy a stylus for my tablet to draw with but I'm not sure which one to buy. It looks like wacom made a couple that are for any type of tablet to use but is there something in particular that stands out?

It's not an apple product so ipencil doesn't count.
>>
Anyone know what sort of brush settings I can use to get a vine-charcoal like brush? I get the feeling I can just use some combination of opacity/flow/sensitivity, but can't manage to get anything that looks or feels right.
>>
Is there ANY COLORING EXERCISES I can do to know more about color?

I'm fucking colorblind. I know all about the compliments, the wheel and the whole "color only exists in relation to other things and light" shtick. Any coloring/painting exercises? Practices that I can do to know about making actually good color schemes? any tips or books about how to use grays as well?
>>
how did they draw clean looking stuff digitally back in the late 90's/early 2000's? I couldn't do this shit with just mspaint
>>
File: lolhow.png (19KB, 528x236px) Image search: [Google]
lolhow.png
19KB, 528x236px
>>2655197
forgot file
>>
File: Medicago_sativa_(5183006168).jpg (3MB, 4320x3240px) Image search: [Google]
Medicago_sativa_(5183006168).jpg
3MB, 4320x3240px
How do approach flowers? This one for example just blows my mind, where do I start? I've tried to use real ones and not photos, but it's no easier.
>>
How would you categorize both 3D art and general graphics (Logos, Icons, Corporate Design etc.) into one name. CG Art?
>>
File: 1471740390652.jpg (235KB, 640x869px) Image search: [Google]
1471740390652.jpg
235KB, 640x869px
How do you paint things with an airbrush? I recently was given one for my birthday and I really enjoy the way it works, but I have no idea how to actually paint my sketches. I know how the machine itself works, but do any of you have a guide of some sort?
>>
File: 1433758565789.jpg (386KB, 1152x648px) Image search: [Google]
1433758565789.jpg
386KB, 1152x648px
does anyone know who painted pic related?
thanks
>>
Somewhat non-trivial question guys

I'm a beginner but I'm having trouble with getting my head around 3D shapes, especially when it comes to spheres and cylinders
I understand what cylinder is, I understand how perspective works, but if someone would ask me to draw one cylinder leaning on another freehand or draw an intersection of a sphere with a pyramid I'll most likely mess it up
I also have general trouble positioning multiple objects in same space
This ultimately stops me from getting into figure drawing
Would picking up and grinding a book on perspective help? Or it's some kind of different topic?
>>
>>2655624
Canny Glasgow by John Atkinson Grimshaw

would it have killed you to search yourself? took 5 mins to google
>>
Are there any good books for gouache painting techniques?
Thread posts: 321
Thread images: 73

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.