[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: 20160523_110946 (2).jpg (735KB, 2399x2647px) Image search: [Google]
20160523_110946 (2).jpg
735KB, 2399x2647px
What does /ic/ think about art school? should i go full on into a Fine Arts degree or should I major in Art education? Or should I major in anything at all? I love this passion of mine but I have no idea what I want to do with it. Pic is somethin I drew a little while ago
>>
>>2636051
There's already at least one thread on this.
>>
>>2636052
anotha one
>>
>>2636051
Fuck Piper, Curie is the best.
>>
>>2636051
If your parents are rich and don't mind footing paying your way through college go for it. If not, then that's definitely not a good idea. Art school is ridiculously expensive. And its not necessary at all in getting a job in the art industry. Wether or not it will make you a better artist though is debatable...
Some people do greatly improve their skill if they attend top tier art schools, some don't.
>>
You don't need art school to git gud, but it can help, especially if you're young. Also being self taught can get lonely.

Do your research, avoid scam schools, don't go to some pretentious bullshit artschool.

Don't spend too much money and get into a lot of debt. Debt and being poor is not fun, trust me.

Art school won't actually make you good, it will only guide you. If you don't apply yourself you will still come out a failure no matter what your grades are.

Nobody will ever give a shit what school you went to.
>>
i wanna be an illustrator but non of my local state schools offer that degree. Do i even need a degree in illustration or can i just major in something safe like art education and work my career on the side? I don't have a lot of money so state schools is all i can really do
>>
>>2636058
And no fuck you Piper is best grill
>>
>>2636138

>Nobody will ever give a shit what school you went to.

and by extension nobody will every give a shit what degree you have. all that really matters is that you learn the fundamentals.
>>
>>2636058
>Not Cait
Not gonna make it.
>>
>>2636149
so if my arts good enough for the field i want to go into then it doesn't really matter? I just don't want to be sad the rest of my life because I fucked up my college experience or whatever. I'm sure this is a common problem tho for 18 year old nerds like me.
>>
>>2636162
Yeah dude, nobody is ever going to look at your degree. Go to school to learn or expand your horizons or whatever, but don't go there for a piece of paper.
>>
>>2636174
>>2636123
>>2636111
>>2636149
something i needed to hear guys thanks so much
>>
>>2636197
>I plan to work my ass off in the next few years

Then you'll make it as long as you don't forsake your social skills.
>>
>>2636051
Art is one of those skills you don't need school to develop. Having an art degree doesn't prove anything to anyone other than you survived a gauntlet of pretentious Marxists over-analyzing your entire life. If I were to do it all again I would have either not gone to college and immediately started working or have gotten a cheap degree in something stupid to help me shop for jobs.
>>
Make sure the places you're considering going actually have the art you want to do on the curriculum.

>Fancy doing Art/Illustration at university. Fuck employability, I just want to git gud. Somewhat limited to the one in my city.
>Look up information on art degrees, it's all very vague, no mention of fundamentals.
>Go to an open day, they're all photoshopping together stock photos, making abstract sculptures.
>One guy's good, turns out he's 30 and self-taught.
>Corner some faculty and ask them outright if they spend any time on the fundamentals of art.
>"We prefer to focus on raw creativity."
>Head of the department isn't aware of any life-drawing classes/clubs either on campus or in the area.
>The leaver's gallery is full of naive conceptual art. Lots of 2deep installations involving masks and piles of garbage.

>Too poor to humour the idea of going to one of the well known art schools for entertainment design.
And that's why I'm doing Electrical Engineering.
>>
File: 1470649646944.png (289KB, 600x750px) Image search: [Google]
1470649646944.png
289KB, 600x750px
I am 17 years old. Here is a quick one hour study. Do you think I can "make it"?
>>
>>2636370
>>2636197
Sorry man, but you have to be drawing that in your mothers womb, otherwise it's too late.
>>
just fall for the graphic design meme and work on becoming an illustrator on your own time famalam
>>
>>2636370

you're doing ok. But at 17 I would expect something a bit better than this. Your edges a really sloppy. Tbh this looks like 14 year old level work. So you're about 3 years behind which means your art "making it"-age is actually 20. Which puts you in a much worse position. As you only have 5 years instead of 8 to make it to mastery before brain plasticity death at 25. And considering where you are now, you have a long way to go. Personally I would be a little worried but there's no need to panic yet. As long as you can catch up you'll be ok. Good luck.
>>
>>2636401
I kekd so fucking hard, this board is such fucking shit
>>
>>2636370

You're already 17 years too old, just quit. Maybe you can become a janitor or something.

but seriously you're doing fine. Push your values / edges a tiny bit more and you'll be golden.
>>
>>2636370
reported
>>
>>2636051
Your not going to be hired on your Degree, you're going to be hired on your portfolio.
Art School is so expensive and you can learn everything by yourself online.
>>
>>2636150
Found the patrician

Cait > Curie > piper
>>
>>2637319
To me its been a way of justifying dedicating myself to art to my parents.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.