[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Unmotivated Losers (discord edition)

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 9

File: UL.jpg (281KB, 589x708px) Image search: [Google]
UL.jpg
281KB, 589x708px
Unmotivated Losers has open spots!

Hey, we've moved to Discord!

http://unmotivatedlosers.deviantart.com/

We are an /ic/ based art dA group running since 2013 dedicated to the improvement of each member's artistic abilities through peer support, critiques, and friendly competition.
Basically the group's on Discord, but we use deviantart to keep track of everyone's posting.

Here's the link to How it works page: http://unmotivatedlosers.deviantart.com/journal/How-it-Works-v-3-400235229

Your current skill level doesn't matter.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.
>>
>>2631366
How many of you losers has make it within this 3 years?
>>
>>2631382
some
>>
>>2631366
>Discord
What is it? When I'm googling it, my little pony shit comes up.
>>
File: discord.png (60KB, 778x767px) Image search: [Google]
discord.png
60KB, 778x767px
>>2631482
It's like Skype, but better.

>When I'm googling it, my little pony shit comes up.
What are you doing nigger?
>>
>>2631366
I was a member for a time, then I stopped drawing. Do I just sent Loomis again or is it different for reapplicants?
>>
>>2631491

Same for everyone.
>>
File: discord.jpg (59KB, 640x440px) Image search: [Google]
discord.jpg
59KB, 640x440px
>>2631482

Discord is more lightweight than skype(which is natural since it was made for gamers). Has mobile app, pc program, or you can use it in your browser without installing anything.
>>
>>2631627

Why do I have the feeling microshit will buy out this company making skype irrelevant? They already stopped support for skype for their own hardware.
>>
Man, I think this is actually kinda interesting and cool idea, and I have half the mind to try and join, but my skills are so bad and almost all of the art I see posted on dA is leagues better than mine. I don't know.
>>
File: ps drawing.jpg (282KB, 1058x1500px) Image search: [Google]
ps drawing.jpg
282KB, 1058x1500px
>>2631653

We've had a bunch of newbies in the group, if they just put in the time they improve very quickly.

I myself joined the group as a complete newbie. Picrelated is from when I'd been drawing for half a year already.
>>
>>2631726
Yeah I'm thinking about joining too.

Wish I didn't have to make a deviantart account to join.

Are studies allowed if we're not doing personal work at the moment?
>>
>>2631726
In that case I might join. I'm really like awful because I just started and I've had no real time to draw with work, but I'll be off from that pretty soon anyways so I guess there's no reason not to start working for real on my art. Are the members good at helping newbies improve and giving advice on things to work on. Like if been told to draw a lot, but I really have no idea what to improve on.
>>
>>2631734

>Are studies allowed if we're not doing personal work at the moment?

Of course. I submitted a lot more studies than personal work.

>>2631764
>Are the members good at helping newbies improve and giving advice on things to work on

Yes, people in UL are friendly and helpful. We like to see other people improve.
>>
>>2631776
Well I sent a message!
>>
>tfw garbage and id get bullied
>>
>>2631840
>tfw garbage and id get bullied

As I said your current skill level doesn't matter. We value effort first and foremost.

-----------

Sent out invites to everyone who applied.
>>
>>2631776
Well that sounds pretty good. I need some help improving because it really is painful doing it all by myself. I'll apply when I get out of work. I'm really bad, but with people I can try my best to improve, even if I'm still garbage.
>>
>>2631956
Good, sent out the invites.

----------------

Just to be perfectly clear. If you don't post on DA you get kicked from both DA and Discord. That's how we weed out inactive members.
>>
>>2632380
if we warn beforehand because of an event, do we still get kicked ?
>>
>tfw you know you wont be motivated enough to keep up
>not gonna make it

Good job on making this though, lads.
>>
>>2631653
Yeah, I feel you. My art is too shit to be laughed at by /ic/.
>>
I love the idea of this; I work much better with artificial pressure for whatever reason.

My only question is, is there any requirement for critiques? Do we have to critique a certain amount of other people's shit per week? Or is critiquing in general from beginners like me even advised?
>>
>>2631776
Are master studies allowed?
>>
>>2632596
>>>Are studies allowed if we're not doing personal work at the moment?
>>Of course. I submitted a lot more studies than personal work.

>Are master studies allowed?

What do you think?
>>
This sounds really interesting and just like something I feel I needed, Im really interested in joining just please let me send my application later tonight, I have to go to work now and I dont know if Ill be able to log in during the day
>>
File: ophelia.jpg (50KB, 436x600px) Image search: [Google]
ophelia.jpg
50KB, 436x600px
>>2632531
>if we warn beforehand because of an event, do we still get kicked ?

No. If you are unable to post in a week for personal reasons (illness, moving, exams, etc) then please send :iconmgcusr: a note about your circumstances with “(your username) excuse” in the title.

>>2632537
Not sure what you meant.

>>2632549
>Yeah, I feel you. My art is too shit to be laughed at by /ic/.

The worse you are, the faster you improve.

>>2632586
>My only question is, is there any requirement for critiques? Do we have to critique a certain amount of other people's shit per week? Or is critiquing in general from beginners like me even advised?

You do not have to critique anyone. We just create an environment where growth is encouraged and critique is a big part of it. If you can give critique - give critique. If you don't have anything to say, no one's forcing you to.
As for critique from beginners, I got awesome critique from a beginner before.

>>2632596
Yes.

>>2632636
Sure.
>>
Sent out the invites.
>>
>sift through wood-tier participants
Yeah, no

I really applause to what you do guys but I'll keep looking for places with more shit people like me, otherwise it's just too intimidating for me and waste of time for everyone else
>>
>>2635001
have you tried las?
>>
>>2635004
>las
What is that?
>>
>>2635004
Oh, nevermind, is that like Last Artist Standing? Isn't it for competent artists or something?
>>
>>2635008
Are you saying you aren't competent? Just post something you did for at least 30 minutes everyday day. That's it. If you want to show off to your peers join the community challenges.
>>
>>2635007
>>2635008

>>2634038
Essentially like Unmotivated Losers except LAS requires daily submission and UL requires weekly submissions, both accept absolute beginners.

UL has a level system which LAS doesn't, LAS has various community challenges and is in development to add more features to the site but that's been put on pause as the developer is an actual ill cripple who's been in recovery or something for the past few months.

There are a quite more nuances between the two but there's nothing wrong with trying both at the same time, they're not mutually exclusive.
>>
>>2635012
-to add, UL's parallel to LAS' "community challenges" are "quests" http://unmotivatedlosers.deviantart.com/journal/Quests-509713334
>>
>>2635011
>Are you saying you aren't competent?
Yeah I'm an "absolute beginner", I don't even need critique this much because I'm more or less aware of my issues, I'm just looking to get involved into something without getting anyone hurt to get the nescessary practice
>>
File: AnRRcUa.jpg (351KB, 1700x1065px) Image search: [Google]
AnRRcUa.jpg
351KB, 1700x1065px
>>2635001

>sift through wood-tier participants

Bunch of people that joined after this thread haven't submitted, so they're not in the standings yet.

>otherwise it's just too intimidating for me and waste of time for everyone else

UL was filled with newbies 3 years ago, I was one of them. The group is more about the mindset that you want to improve and walking the steps towards it. But yea, no one's forcing you to join.

>>2635016

We also do stuff like this: http://mattiaspilhede.tumblr.com/post/140355216974/devinhoyt-round-2-of-the-unmotivated-loser-i
>>
hmm
i think i`ll rather lurk
im not motivated enough atm and wouldn`t really contribute since im barely making progress
>>
>>2635188
I'm kinda the same, but I'm like a complete newb, and I have no idea what to do, and of course my brain is fucking awful so even asking for help is a challenge. I don't know what to do. I feel like joining might have been a mistake, because I'm no where near close to being a competent artist of any kind.
>>
File: keep-calm-and-ganbare.png (31KB, 600x700px) Image search: [Google]
keep-calm-and-ganbare.png
31KB, 600x700px
>>2637970

The only one who can stop you from getting better is yourself, cut yourself some slack.
Every journey starts with 1 step.
>>
>>2638443
We'll the cut off for submitting something is today and I haven't done anything worth a fuck, so I guess I'll go fuck myself.
>>
If you want to draw, but can't draw it is probably because you have psychological issues, anxiety and/or depression.
Google "Cognitive Behavioral Therapy" read up on it. Or simply google "CBT for procrastination".
Here's a decent start: http://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/resources/infopax.cfm?Info_ID=50
>>
>>2638539
Do something then.
>>
>>2631366
Does this mean skype is dead
>>
>>2638650
pretty much yea
>>
>>2638686
Fuck, that's so sad. I don't want skype to die.
>>
>>2631366
Unmotivated Losers is just like any other group. Personally, I didn't have that great of an experience with them. It's not gonna change how you work fundamentally. I find it funny how they have "open spots" like they're something elite or special. Make your own group or join something that's not so elitist if you want a nice community (that also doesn't require retarded deadlines for you having to do something you may not necessarily want to work on). What's going to get you to draw more than anything is a proper mindset, a proper schedule (https://www.behance.net/gallery/37722243/Time-Management-Stuff), good resources (Proko, CTRLPaint, stuff from Schoolism etc. which can be found on CGPeers), practicing fundamentals and those resources and putting in the time (which the schedule helps you adhere to). Stop trying to find some magic group, motivation from others is nice but ultimately it's up to you to work hard.
>>
>>2638698
I'm not a member of UL but what's so bad about finding motivation in joining a group, and deadlines are part of motivation too.
Proper mindset is great but you're saying like it is something easy to aquire.
>>
>>2638698
In my experience the group has been different from other groups.
UL weeds out people who are not serious with submitting drawings weekly, whereas other groups I've been in have basically become half art and half videogames, or people have stopped drawing but started to hang around and drag others down with them.

There's nothing elitist about the group and I don't get what you're getting that from. There's a limit to members, and that limit is frequently broken, and I think has been broken every time it's people from /ic/.

A mindset, schedule, resources, fundamentals, putting in time is all necessary...
And nowhere does it say the group is a replacement for that. This group is for critique, questions, and support from others doing the exact same things. For someone talking about schedules, and dedication, you sound like you are against people doing the exact same thing you're proposing.
>>
>>2638746
>>2638748
I'm just pointing out UL isn't gonna be a solution to anybody's problems. Them giving you a to-do list can be easily done by yourself and it can be more effective because -you- usually have a better idea of what you wanna work on.
>>
>>2638751
There is no to-do list in the group, there is a list of suggestions, and you get points from doing suggestions and learning fundamentals.
>>
>>2638758
You have to pick from a list and rely on that. Regardless, it's something you can do on your own.
>>
>>2638751
Honestly I can give myself a to-do but it's always easier to follow up if you have to "report" to someone
It's kind of a crutch but hey, what can I do otherwise
>>
>>2638760
It's learning fundamentals, which you will be doing anyway, and then getting points for that.
I honestly don't see the problem.
You get support, help, and I don't think the list is set in stone. Just suggest more things added if you're super keen on points.

That said, you don't have to do anything, you can literally submit anything as long as it took you the time.
>>
>>2638751

>Them giving you a to-do list can be easily done by

I can confirm, there's no to-do list.
You can submit whatever you want.
"Quests" are simply a list of fun activities from which you can choose something when you don't know what to draw.
>>
>>2638642
I did. I kinda feel better that I did now. Think I'm gonna do more this next week.
>>
Are spots still open? Thinking about joining this week. I'm a complete shitter and just got a tablet, so I'll be starting from zero.
>>
>>2639317

>Are spots still open?

Yes.
>>
>>2631366
I've seen this thread before and I'm tempted to join. I began this year but haven't drawn for 3 months because of illness. I really like the concept of this.
>>
>>2639905
one more thing, can I post the stuff I've done since I started this year until now?
>>
>>2639910

>can I post the stuff I've done since I started this year until now?

No. You only post stuff that you drew current week.
>>
How accepted is anime shit?

Would this group be able to help me with that?
>>
>>2642021

>How accepted is anime shit?
Anime's fine.

>Would this group be able to help me with that?
Do you think that being good at animu is somehow different from being good at drawing.
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.