[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Too late to get good at drawing?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 120
Thread images: 10

File: Raffaele.jpg (105KB, 768x508px) Image search: [Google]
Raffaele.jpg
105KB, 768x508px
I'm 23 and I've never drawn before, is it impossible for me to get good if I try? Or am I just wasting my time?
>>
You're fucked, mate.
16 is the cut-off age.

Find another hobby.
>>
File: ROCKS.jpg (304KB, 1143x857px) Image search: [Google]
ROCKS.jpg
304KB, 1143x857px
>>2630253
this question is a idiotic, let me explain why.

If you really want to draw, you'll want to draw even if you're 65 and never did any drawing. It doesn't matter how old you are, if you really want to draw, that won't go away, so you have absolutely nothing to lose.

source: I'm 31 and have always wanted to draw and finally got started this year. it won't go away and you have nothing to lose. and you'll get better at any age. let the age-meme die.
>>
>>2630261
>age-meme
>implying it's a meme

Come back when you can actually draw, grandpa.
protip: you're never make it
>>
>>2630267
I can't do anything but chuckle at this. btw, "making it" is also meme. I hope your baiting, in which case, nice bait.
>>
>>2630257
It's hard to tell if this is sarcasm or brutal honesty, this is /ic/ after all
>>
It's not about when you start, it's about how much deliberate practice you put in.

This is not sports, that's the beauty of art. If you start a little "later", you will simply be skilled some years later down the line, but then you can do this until you literally fall over and die.
>>
>>2630253
Waaay too late, you're never gonna make it starting that late

You fucked up
>>
If you hurry and grind hard you can make some progress before your neuroplasticity is gone (runs out at 25). Don't miss your chance
>>
It's not too late. You don't need permission.
>>
>>2630253
There are kids starting decades younger than you, you're wasting your time starting so late, give up.
>>
>>2630267
>16 to 21 weeb kids and NEETs wanting to work at blizzard or draw like KJG are better than mature, hard working, disciplined adult men.

Nice defense mechanism.

>>2630253
Don't worry about your age. Drawing is all about practice and little more. Unless you turn 25 and your arms fall off, you can always learn to draw with the feet.
>>
>>2630253
n
g
m
i
>>
>>2630253
forget it. turn on the tv and spend the rest of your life doing nothing, cause it's waaaay too late for you to be anyone at this point. give up now, and spend the next 70 years *not* drawing, cause that's better. whatever you do, DON'T DRAW. your actually wasting time reading this, cause you could be watching tv right now, lol.
>>
File: Logans-Run.jpg (70KB, 700x350px) Image search: [Google]
Logans-Run.jpg
70KB, 700x350px
>>2630253
Welcome to /ic/
>>
>>2630253
If you weren't painting masterpieces right out of the womb you might as well just kill yourself and get a chance at a reroll.
>>
File: eLw7m.gif (3MB, 500x482px) Image search: [Google]
eLw7m.gif
3MB, 500x482px
>>2630253
the question is: you want to draw because you want? or you want to draw because you want some attention.
>>
>>2630253
The real question is, what's you inspiration to draw? Assuming that you just got out of college or are still in college, you shouldn't be picking up hobbies that will take up a lot of your time, ie. Drawing. But if you truly want to get into something so dedicated, you gotta ask why
>>
File: smartarm 016.jpg (390KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
smartarm 016.jpg
390KB, 1600x1200px
>>2630253
Read the sticky faggot, the age range is between 9 and 97.
>>
>>2630253
You got 2.5 years before the small amounts of neuroplasticity begins to rapidly decrease in your brain. Start now.
>>
>>2630253
i started at 24. Do you enjoy it? yeah? then get to drawing faggot.
>>
>>2630253

It depends of what you want to accomplish.

23 isn't even that old, there are people your age who are learning all kind of really hard stuff.

If had to argue about it:
> Neuroscience says the brain is totally finished at 25 so forget about "neuroplasticity" stories
> Art schools in my country accept students aged 18 to 25 so you ain't an anomaly
> If you begin now, even if it takes you ten years, you'll be golden in your 30's and be able to draw for 3 or 4 decades

Be warned that >>2630261 is right, if you really want to draw and "give up", it will come to haunt you.
>>
the 25 cut off age is true
>>
File: 1458152305000.png (154KB, 460x385px) Image search: [Google]
1458152305000.png
154KB, 460x385px
>Be 25, decide to pick up drawing
>Sit down with Loomis
>Draw a square when told to draw a circle no matter how much i try
>sit there slamming my hands onto the table howling like a fucking animal in frustration
>my fossilized brain simply cannot comprehend these mysterious and arcane instructions

Don't be like me OP, start early while you still have hope.
>>
>>2630436
by all means elaborate
>>
I draw better now than I did when I was 25.
>>
No way
Spark gone by 25
Neuroplasticity fade by 25
Bet you don't even have ligameme
Therefore impossible to art
>>
>>2630253
It's never too late to git gud. Just keep in mind that by the time you're good enough to actually make a career out of it, you'll be 30 at the very least and many of your peers in the junior artist positions will be younger than you. Might be awkward. Even then, if you're starting completely from scratch now then you'll have to work insanely hard at it to get anywhere.

It's totally possible though. Anyone who says otherwise is an idiot.
>>
>>2630453
> ligashit

Give it a rest you autist. it's not a meme when you're the only one posting it. That's called spamming, nosetard.
>>
what if i'm 24 and drew/painted in small stints since 16, can i seriously pick up drawing or painting now?
>>
>>2630511

yes but do it now
>>
>>2630511
Yes of course you can, as long as you are willing to actually commit a lot of time and effort into it, as in multiple hours every day.
>>
>>2630511
I say it's too late. you're better off never thinking about or even looking at a drawing again. pick up the tv-remote and rest your neuro-rigid brain the 70+ years you got left. just don't draw. it's a waste of time and your neurons will ache possibly do some permanent damage.
>>
>>2630257
>>2630267
>>2630368

When you have no reasons to be proud of...
>I-I may be a failure, but I'm younger than you.

Srsly, if anyone thinks like that unironically, this board may be much more pathetic than /r9k/.

Just focus on drawing instead of memeing. Memes are killing /ic/.
>>
>>2630511
No, it's LITERALLY IMPOSSIBLE because you are past an arbitrary age threshold.
>>
>>2630253
It will be very hard, but no its not too late.
>>
Put in 12 hours a day for 2 years and you'll be beetrr than 99% of ic
>>
I started at 23. It's been a year and I'm a lot better. Still not great, but I'll probably be decent in another year or so. It's never too late, but you shouldn't take it lightly, don't putt around practicing for a half an hour here and there because 10 years will go by and you still won't be good. Work hard every day to get where you want to be and practice efficiently.
>>
>>2630442

Your problem is you fell for the Loomis meme. Loomis is great but you have to have a solid foundation in life drawing and understanding of 3D to really get something out of it.
>>
>>2630253

at age 25 you literally cannot learn any new skills. You might argue that old people do learn new things but actually they are just retooling previously held abilities to new contexts. With drawing its a whole new thought process as it requires you to think visually. If you haven't learnt to think visually before age 25 then your ability to learn it forever is gone. I'm sorry OP. You've got two years to grind as hard as you possibly can. But it may actually be too late for you. On your 25th Birthday, if you haven't become at least semi kjg level then you'll pretty much never improve. So unless you're willing to do nothing but draw for the next 2 years without a break you should probably just give up and do spreadsheets or work in cafe. You can't argue with science after all.
>>
>>2630794
Bait: the post
>>
>>2630794

What if you start before 25 but haven't gotten good by 25? I started a few months before turning 25 and am about to turn 26. I've gotten a lot better but I'm far from employable or turning out professional quality work for my own projects.
>>
Sorry OP no chance i would say 17 is the absolute limit.
>>
>>2630814
>actually falling for it
>>
File: 1469862766122.jpg (60KB, 596x360px) Image search: [Google]
1469862766122.jpg
60KB, 596x360px
>>2630814
b8'd
>>
>>2630253
if you had to git gud from age 1 to 23... then why cant you do it from age 23 to 43?
>>
>>2630950
shhhh
>>
>>2630814
You just said you've gotten a lot better, you've seen this with your own eyes but a shit post has been able to convince you otherwise. This is strong shit posting here.
>>
>>2630253
uhh.. neuroplasticity and stuff, you're not going to make it m8.
>>
neuroplasticity is stupid, we're constantly generating new neurons
>>
Do one life drawing every day, spend at least an hour on it.

In one year you will see pretty excellent improvement
>>
started at 26 and i'm 31 now, i'm better than most of /ic/; i'm not tooting my own horn, just giving you hope
>>
there's a lot of bait and shitposting in this thread OP, it's been on the rise recently on /ic/. Just do it, you're never too late.
>>
>>2631067
What is a 31 year old doing on a website for children?
>>
>>2631123
You know with /ic/ it's either you're too young or too old to be here, you can't please anyone.
>>
>>2631067
Post your work, mr better-than-most-of-/ic/.
>>
>>2631144
,,l,,
>>
>>2630794

really? with your logic after 30's it will be impossible for people learn more stuff and get the P.h degree or achieve new skills.

don't be an idiot, anon, be more straightforward and say: "I don't want other people learn art, because I can handle competition"
>>
>>2631155

>I can't handle
>>
>>2631155
Exactly, that was literally one of the most stupidest posts I've read on all of /ic/
>>
>>2630253
No. Shut the fuck up and start drawing
>>
>>2630267
quality kekkles
>>
How hard are you willing to try?

That's all you have to ask yourself.

My grandpa and grandma worked as architects for most of their life, and when they retired at like fifty something they decided to start just drawing for fun.

Grandpa went the easier route and started doing landscape paintings or sketches. He understood shapes and forms and what actual weight was, so even if he was just making up shit in his mind it still looked "real".

Grandma went for the harder route and tried drawing cartoons. They looked like shit when she started because she was so used to working with objects that shouldn't move. Even tin can robots or trash cans with eye lids didn't look good. But she kept at it and by the time she was sixty you could see the vast improvement.

And you wanna' know the best thing about all this? They never forgot how to draw buildings or those big ass skyscrapers. The thing they told me and my cousins the most was that it wasn't about the brain, it was about the muscles in the hand. You can visualize shit all you want but until you train your hand to put that shit on paper than you can't do much.

So again, how hard are you willing to try?
>>
>come to an art board
>instead of using it for its intended purpose, people shitpost blatantly and intentionally for attention

there's about 20 other boards that are better suited to this pathetic behavior

why are so many people stupid?
>>
>>2631246
Like someone posted earlier, people are probably just afraid of competition
>>
>>2630253
you can fucking do it op. you just have to do the work. now get to it....
>>
I don't get why these threads keep getting made. As long as you're not about to drop dead or missing some necessary fundamental physical or mental body functionality you can learn almost any skill you want whenever you want. You probably won't make a carrier of it at 50 or whatever but that doesn't mean you can't learn the skill in question.

Stop asking if you can do it and just try and fuck up at it every day for a year.
>>
>>2631257
these threads keep getting made because people on /ic/ have nothing better to do than rehash the age meme along with the ligameme.
>>
>>2631246
>>2631252
its a joke autistic newfriends
>>
if you are not a fetus with multiple ligaments you should just give up
>>
You can tell how many newfags there are in /ic/ by seeing how many people get preturbed by the silly simple memeing.

>wow, mom, why is 4chan so mean :O ?? i dont get it?!
>>
we're obviously joking OP, you're never too old
>>
>>2630253
It's putting a pencil on a piece of paper and moving it. How good you get is down to time, talent, discipline. But if you end up drawing what you like even if it's not some godly level, whatever that standard means here, then it's no time lost.
>>
Yes, you're wasting your time. You're way too old to learn anything at this point. I'd suggest just find a good retirement home and live the rest of your days peacefully drinking tea and playing Bingo with other grandpas like yourself.
>>
by 33 you'd have 10 years experience, and that's still relatively young, go for it man
>>
OP has probably given up by now, good job /ic/

/ic/ - 1
old people - 0
>>
>>2630950
neuroplasticity. it's hard science.
>>
what fucking bullshit is this 25 cutoff age
I am 25 now and I can see myself getting better
I get better faster now than I did when I was trying to learn loomis at age 16
>>
>>2631934
dude link us some proof instead of just talking out your ass, where's the evidence?
>>
>>2630453
>>2630442
>>2630431
>>2630427
>>2630436

What is neuroplasticity and what does it have to do with art?
>>
>>2631969

it's the new dumb meme, like the other one that you need to be a mechanical engineer to work and draw.
>>
>>2631969
It is no secret that children learn much faster than adults, that because their nerve system is immature and while they learning they are making new nerve connection along the way. When you are adult the map of your nerve connection pretty established and it takes time to make new and change existing ones, maybe you heard "you can't teach the old dog new tricks". All above is a perfect mix for a self-pity and procrastination because if you are not number 1 prodigy why learn art at all. Not only that, but the attempt of trying learn anything at all is a pipe dream because nobody ever learned anything new after their twenties. In fact, if you are past age 25 you live the same day over and over without ever learning new facts because your brain is simply set in stone and unable to process and remember new information.
>>
>>2631472
How is 31 old?
>>
>>2631981
I guess when you that old you just can't accept the fact.
>>
>>2631979
wew lad hope you never have to get a new job
>>
>>2631969

Neuroplasticity is an idea supported by current neuroscience that the human brain isn't "static" like it was thought 50 years earlier but is actually "plastic", able to change throughout all your life.
For some reason, some people on /ic/ interprets it as the exact opposite of that and claim that once you reach 25, you can't learn how to drive a car because your brain is frozen.

Some people are just full of excuses. "I'm too old to learn this", so lame.

Some brain-injured adults have been able to learn to walk again or to learn a second time their native language (which was stored in a part of brain which was rekt), why would learning to draw be harder?

It doesn't even matter that you have less neurons now than when you were 15, you still have 16% more neurons than the average woman.
>>
>>2631986
>Nobody changing jobs at adulthood
Stellar example.
>>
>>2631998
so instead of saying years of experience, familiarity, and developed skill are the cause, you point to "the decline of neuroplasticity"........

>>2631993
language is actually a great example. the plastic brain of a toddler will soak up language "like a sponge" and learning as an adult is harder, but the key word is, "harder", not "impossible". the brain is never fully "frozen" this is a ridiculous notion and defies the nature of the brain itself. it is constantly reorganizing and morphing to better suit the task/situation at hand
>>
>87 replies
>49 unique IP addresses
Somebody probably has too much time on their hands
>>
>>2632042
1.775510 posts per person is nothing
>>
>>2632070
More likely a couple of people posting more than that
>>
>>2632119
my whole family is on their laptops and PCs pissed off at this thread because of the age meme, I'm surrounded by 90 year old wannabe artists
>>
>>2632203
>whole family on /ic/
Disgusting
>>
Post scientific peer reviewed articles about neuroplasticity running out or stfu memers
>>
File: 20160809_011412.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20160809_011412.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>2630253
I started at 22. I'm 26 now. I'm not a master or anything even close to it, but I have improved a lot since I started.

I'm horribly lacking in discipline and work at it very irregularly. When I do, rarely do I sink more than 2 hours at a time into it. Even despite all that, there is still notable improvement.

So go for it.
>>
>>2632242
Also, I'm well-aware that I still suck. Working on it. Slowly.
>>
>>2632232
protip neuroplasticity declines but learning =/= neuroplasticity
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3374641/
"Excess plasticity can be equally deleterious as insufficient plasticity"
>>
>>2632242
I think your post will have the opposite of the desired effect. That progress in utterly absymal.
>>
File: 1457584639216.jpg (51KB, 492x557px) Image search: [Google]
1457584639216.jpg
51KB, 492x557px
It's not how old you are when you start, it's how much time you take to get at a pro level.

After a year, you should at least be better than 90% of /ic/ and Deviantart. You should start opening up your own Tumblr and start doing small time commissions and general freelance work.

After two years, you should be actually good and approaching pro level, and better than 99% of /ic/, have a decent following on Tumblr/other sites, and start making at least 10k+ year off freelancing.

After 3 years, your training you should be almost done, and all that's left is refinement. You should be firmly at a pro level and able to compete with most pro artists on the market. At this point, the important thing is your business acumen.
>>
>>2632253
Aw well. I've noticed improvement and that's good enough for me.
>>
File: 635999664630368496-1934-farmer.jpg (61KB, 540x405px) Image search: [Google]
635999664630368496-1934-farmer.jpg
61KB, 540x405px
>>2630253
What you want people to tell you is that no age is too late to learn, right? But in reality you probably will wind up giving up on it any way before you truly even get your feet wet. Ive seen it too many times. People like you who are getting into drawing around their late 20's hoping to be the next Jim Gi or something, only to get frustrated and abandon it all less than year into it. Save yourself the headache and just don't bother. Im tired of telling people the same old speech.
>you can do it, just work hard
>nah, it doesn't matter if you haven't been doing it since you were a kid you can still make it

They all wind up giving up on it and just not committing to it because they just simply don't get the same satisfaction from it like the rest of us do. Ive been drawing since I was in grade school, and while im not that good, Ill never give up art. Because I just enjoy it too much. People like you, your brains are wired different. You won't like doing it when you aren't getting the results you want. You won't want to put in the work to improve. You aren't patient enough. Every single time. My advice, if you haven't had this interest since you were a kid don't even waste your time. Learn how to play the piano or something. It's easier by comparison and will give you more satisfaction.
>>
>>2635827
Maybe it's because people have higher standards for themselves when there's the photoreal to always compare your practice to, dumbass.

Go see a shrink for that special snowflake syndrome.
>>
It's the same thing with music

The older you are the easier it is to get disciplined, and the more motivated you are

When you're younger it's easier to absorb knowledge like a sponge but it's very rare to stick to anything
>>
>>2630253
Are you all joking or are some of you actually deluded enough to think there is an age limit?

Sure, if you were a child prodigy, or studied in your formative years, you'll have a head-start, but other than that, there isn't an age limit.

Do you all think artists just, what, stop improving after teenage-hood?
>>
>>2635837
it has less to do with standards and more with this is a hobby not meant for everyone. Next time don't get your tampon in such a knot lady.
>>
You can do it as a hobby (though I suspect you'll give up in less than a month) but don't expect to make a career in art.

"Age limit" is a real thing in the industry.

Most art schools don't accept a student older than 25. Studios also don't want an old artist for their entry level positions.
If you're older than 30 and you have no experience as a professional artist, you're pretty much fucked.
>>
>>2635894
>most art schools don't accept students over 25

In my country we have allocated spaces designed for mature students, every single course has a certain amount of spaces for people who are in their mid to late 20's and above. When I was in art college there was about 4 people out of a class of 20ish who were either almost 30 or past their 30's. Is it not like this everywhere?
I was studying animation btw.
>>
>>2630253
To quote Robert Watts (Jeff's dad)
"right now you're the youngest you'll ever be, so there is no better time to start doing what you want to do"
>>
>>2630253
10 years too late senpai.

13yo is the latest you can start drawing. Starting at 5yo is ideal.
>>
>>2635903
That guy is talking out of his ass to scare people. The reality is that if you're a fucking god at your craft no one is going to shut their door at you.
>>
>>2636057
If you are a God at your craft you wouldn't need school in the first place. Just accept reality already.
>>
>>2630253
It's never too late.
>>
>>2636057
People who are god at their crafts love their crafts.
If OP really loves drawing, he would just draw and he wouldn't make this stupid asking if he can get good.

Art is easy to start. Just sit down and fucking draw. What's stopping him from doing so?
>>
>>2630261
Are you the anon who was drawing trees?
>>
>>2635837
everything he said was completely correct, are you fucking stupid?

>Maybe it's because people have higher standards

so you are fucking stupid. why compare your work to photoreal? why? that means you haven't done your own research on the technical aspect of art itself. do you think you start out learning anything by comparing it to professional standards? shit post, dude.
>>
Started at 32, turning 33 soon. Easily on par with where I think I should be. Did figure drawing classes and now self teach. Easily above average, compared to others in real life, don't use /ic/ for anything more than quick checks for many a good website link or something. I'm enjoying it, probably a hobby and skill I wouldn't have stuck with in my 20s.
>>
>>2636772
yeah, I did!
>>2637505
>probably a hobby and skill I wouldn't have stuck with in my 20s.
I started at 31 myself and it's the perfect time for pursuing a hobby/skill
>>
>>2630261

I love you
>>
>>2637706
I loved him first.
>>
>>2632247
delivered, but nobody cares... fucking cunts
Thread posts: 120
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.