[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Brush pen thread

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: brush-pen-comparison-01.jpg (106KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
brush-pen-comparison-01.jpg
106KB, 500x334px
What tips do you prefer?
What ink flow do you prefer?
What are the results you get?
Etc.
>>
>>2626189
doesnt matter what tip as long as its just the tip.
>>
>>2626189
The Pentel pocket brush is absolutely fantastic when you get one with good flow, I love how fine you can get but still lay a good wet line when needed.
As a cheap alternative, a waterbrush filled with Ecoline or fountain pen ink is nice.

I haven't tried any of the Kuretakes yet, wtb the #40 sable whenever I need anything else from Japan.
>>
The pocket brush is my favorite. You can get an incredible range of different strokes from it. You can go really fucking thicc and really really thin, you can get nice wet strokes but also a dry stroke if you go fast to get a cool textured look. The downsides are that it's hard as balls to control and the cartridges are non-standard so if you want new ones you need to buy from pentel(I refill mine with a syringe though, works fine, fight the power). Once you get used to it though, it's fucking amazing.

There are also the pentel color brushes which have a little bit thicker tips that makes them a bit easier to handle and have a larger ink cartridge that you can refill with a syringe(I got like 6 different colors and after I used them up I filled each with a different ratio of water and black ink and now I have great brushes for washes). They are great but I prefer the pocket brush for line work since it gives me better lines, they also don't look as nice as the pocket brush.

I'm not sure I would call the copic style tip a brush tip. It's more like a bendy felt tip, there are no bristles. It's pretty nice though and easy to use but not as much variation in lines It feels much more like a marker than a brush really. So it's a great tip for markers, not so much for inking.
>>
File: image.jpg (485KB, 1280x1625px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
485KB, 1280x1625px
>>2626293
Does your brush pen ever just blow up on you and start releasing too much ink? Mine recently started doing that, and it makes me wonder if I either got a faulty pen, or maybe it's time I replaced it. I've been thinking about dipping it into inkwells and using it like a normal brush since it can no longer flow like it used to.
>>
>>2626323
so nice
>>
>>2626323
That usually happens with waterbrushes when the ink gets low, but it shouldn't be happening with a cartridge filled pen. It's normally caused by the extra air inside it heating up and expanding, which pushes the ink out. It might be your cartridge has a leak, or isn't forming a complete seal for whatever reason.

Instead of dipping, if you're using ink that won't dry up your brush you can fill the barrel with it. Put some silicone grease in the threads to prevent it from leaking, and as long as you don't let it get too low you shouldn't have flow issues.
>>
>>2626347
Hm I'll keep that in mind. I've been refilling it with carbon pigment ink for fountain pens, but it would have never occurred to me the air inside the cartridge doing something to the ink flow. Thanks anon.
>>
>>2626321
what ink do you use to refill the pocket brush ?
>>
>>2626386
If you're reusing the same cartridge over and over it might be that it's getting looser and weakening the seal. I could be wrong, but I think it's worth trying a different cartridge.

How do you like the Carbon ink vs the Pentel cartridges? I have a bottle of it but was afraid it might clog brush pens if left alone for too long.
>>
>>2626401
That may also be a benefactor.

I like it a lot! It's pigmented ink so it dries as a single black shade, rather than India ink where one must continue to layer on the ink to get that rich black. Not sure if that makes sense.

And I am constantly using my pen, so I have no fear of it clogging up. But i hear it can always be cleaned up if ink ever clogs it.
http://www.jetpens.com/blog/how-to-clean-a-fountain-pen/pt/259
>>
>>2626386
Here is the bottle of ink I was referring to in case anyone else is interested in purchasing it. It may seem expensive, but I've had this bottle for more than a year, and I'm barely halfway done with it.
http://www.jetpens.com/Platinum-Carbon-Ink-Black-60-ml-Bottle/pd/3461
>>
>>2626388
If you can use it in fountain pens, you can use it in this. Especially with drawing inks you have to check if it's suitable for pens because those that aren't can clog it (fixable so don't be too scared I fixed mine by just soaking it in warm soap water for half an hour). I use some random no-name brand technical ink they sell in the nearby art store. I really want to try some W&N inks when I go back to school and get access to better art stores in the big city.
>>
>>2626440
thanks, i have some winsor and newton in so i'll try that out when i'm out of refills.
>>
>>2626442
I did some googling and it seems all winsor and newton inks are using shellac(i thought i saw one for fountain pens somewhere but I guess i saw wrong) which will definitely clog it so i'd suggest against that brand.
>>
>>2626293
thanks for advice i'm gonna buy a new one
>>
>>2626410
Thanks, I think I'll give it a try in a waterbrush and see how it goes. I've been limiting it to my #3776 and alternating with a more lubricating ink occasionally, I know I can still clean it if clogs but flushing it is such a hassle.

>>2626442
>>2626449
The drawing inks are dye-based but all have shellac in them. Some of the calligraphy inks are supposed to be safe but I still wouldn't risk it, they're not very interesting inks in the first place.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.