[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pencil or pen for perspective learning

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: how-to-draw-scott-robertson-1.jpg (50KB, 500x332px) Image search: [Google]
how-to-draw-scott-robertson-1.jpg
50KB, 500x332px
If anyone here is using Scott Robertson's book to learn perspetive, do you use pen or pencil?
>>
both
>>
>>2626160
whatever you like later on, but it's recommended in the beginning exercises that you get comfortable with a pen first
>>
>>2626160
this book is a nightmare!!

stuck on chapter two. dont know what the hell he is talking about
>>
>>2626160
I started out using a Pilot ballpoint that I tried and I liked in a local store. I didn't like using gel pens (Pilot Hi-Tec) because you can't make faint lines as easily.
I use mechanical pencils too, it doesn't really matter as long as you are capable of making faint lines.
>>
>>2626186
What's your problem with Chapter two? I can help you out.
>>
>>2626310
>>2626186
Okay here's a breakdown, hope it helps. Sorry for the dumb terminology but it's for clarity's sake:

The STATION POINT represents where your physical eye is.

Draw a line straight ahead from your eyeballs to the horizon and you get the CENTER OF VISION.

Now imagine a 3D cone radiating from your eyeballs, like an ice cream cone poking you in the eye. That's your CONE OF VISION, and it represents your field of view / your "camera lens".

Generally you wanna keep the width of that cone at about 60° to make things look plausible to a human viewer. When you draw outside of that cone, stuff will start to look weird. If you were a deer or another animal with eyes on the sides of its head, that cone would be much wider and so on.

On the horizon lines there are VANISHING POINTS which are explained in the book.

Those vanishing points connected with your station point will ALWAYS form a 90° angle. You can literally point the corner of a square on the station point and pivot the shape around that point to create new couples of vanishing points that are perfectly usable.
>>
With all of that in mind, the PICTURE PLANE is basically the flattened version of the real world that you eventally put on paper. Try to disregard this first and understand first what the setup of real-life vision and vanishing points, station point etc. mean in your everyday life. After that, the picture plane becomes really obvious.

3-point perspective basically adds a 3rd vanishing point where vertical lines converge. You can realistically choose this point as an arbitrary point that is far high up on the canvas.

What I do (traditionally) is is place a little bit of masking tape way up outside the canvas, where I want the third vanishing point to be.

When using 3-point perspective, choose to stay either above or below the horizon, otherwise you'll have to start curving your vertical lines.

You can disregard curvilinear perspective, you're gonna have to use a computer for that anyway.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.