[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Viability of 3D models for human references

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

Does anybody know about using 3D software and free 3D models to learn about the forms of the human body?

I don't really like to use pictures for references. They're too flat, and I could learn 10x more from a single study by drawing from life.

I'm planning on loading up blender soon and using make humans to do studies from. I have no access to a full mirror, and I don't want to draw myself because it's very difficult to do so in comparison to drawing normally. (I have to remain completely still)

Once I turn on the wire frame, I should be able to see what forms/shapes are present in the human body.

Are pictures better for this? Does anybody else have experience doing this? Did it help a lot?

I have agoraphobia, so I can't go out into a public place and draw.
>>
>>2620793
Would I be better off buying an art mannequin?
>>
Try designdoll.
>>
>>2620793
just read an anatomy book and learn construction m9
>>
>>2621114
Do you have any good anatomy books?
>>
Most 3D models are pretty bad for anatomy because they don't change when they move. Muscles don't tense up under load, fat bits don't shift properly in gravity, skin doesn't wrinkle and stretch when the underlying joints and flesh shift.

They are good for composition, figuring out perspective and sometimes shadows, but not for anatomy or clothing references because the physics aren't good enough yet.
>>
File: 13 JUN 14.png (126KB, 1356x897px) Image search: [Google]
13 JUN 14.png
126KB, 1356x897px
SOMETIMES I use DAZ studio when I need a pose that I can't do from imagination or can't reference.
Its really good but also a lot of work to pose properly.
>>
This isn't going to work for the purposes you want to use it for.

Comics and Manga artist will sometimes use models to place characters in an environment or to figure out a difficult perspective, but they still know how to draw anatomy over the pose.

3-d models will not work for learning accurate anatomy, at least not the ones available to the public. You'll never see how muscles flex and bend when a figure moves.
>>
File: HowToBridgman.jpg (324KB, 757x1440px) Image search: [Google]
HowToBridgman.jpg
324KB, 757x1440px
>>2621115
Anatomy for sculptors ofc. Then there's Hampton and Bridgman (advanced, pic related needs to be kept in mind).
>>
File: tumblr_o181yyvWoF1sl4tq4o1_1280.jpg (239KB, 1280x677px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o181yyvWoF1sl4tq4o1_1280.jpg
239KB, 1280x677px
>>2620793
i just want a CG posable armature 9 because this >>2621132
>>
>>2620793
You can either use DesignDoll or Daz Studio if you want to take things further. They're probably the best options in the market. There's also Poser, but I never used it

Both is pretty simple to use, but DesignDoll is much more easier and intuitive to use.
But Daz Studio will provide higher anatomical accuracy, but the difficulty curve is a bit steeper
>>
>>2620793
As a 3D artist, all I can say is that you'd have better luck with 3D scans of humans or ecorche sculpts.

Animation quality deformable models are hard to come by for those who don't do 3D. For example, you're not going to get your hands on Rhythm & Hues' Hulk model, with pretty realistic muscles and veins, which in the end you won't see on your screen anyways unless you take 10-50 minutes rendering a still of the angle you're looking at to see the full anatomical features of it. And even then, the muscles aren't 100% accurate and are really approximation.

Simple models aren't correct and they just straight up don't deform well. The muscle system in 3D software is pretty heavy and it's hard to execute it well in the first place.

Best bet however, just get MARA 3D Reference on your phone. Or emulate android on your PC and get it. It should be what you're looking for, but it's still not 100% accurate, so be mindful of that.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.