[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Drawing courses?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: Tiger-Skull-and-head-800x640.jpg (182KB, 800x640px) Image search: [Google]
Tiger-Skull-and-head-800x640.jpg
182KB, 800x640px
I want to be a comic book artist. I'm influenced a lot by French comics and Disney, I work on paper, I'm somewhere around intermediate and I need to learn better rendering in watercolor. My #1 reason to start a course is I'm damn tired of working completely alone and I need a competent person guiding me. I'm plateauing and I find myself drawing less and less because I don't have a project that drives me ATM.

I have looked up a bunch of cheaper online courses and they're either

1) working sight-size with a very academical approach which is pointless to me, I need a constructive approach
2) taught by a million different artists with very different working methods, no matter how great they are I'd rather have one person teach me in a coherent way
3) taught by amazing artists who are horrible at teaching

I've taken a look at Aaron Blaise's course and it looks like it's checking all my boxes, even if it's oriented towards animation. There's a sale to get all the content on the website for one year and I'm thinking of picking it up. I'm poor as fuck so it's going to be a huge investment, I only get to buy one course and it needs to be worth it.

If anyone has experiences to share, please give me advice.
>>
>>2618839

I've tried some of Aaron's stuff before and I definitely prefer his teaching style over most others. I think he does a good job of explaining why we construct things the way we do, so I do recommend learning from him.

Here's a torrent of his anatomy course, if you're against pirating just download it as a test to help you decide whether it's worth an investment or not. I just downloaded some of the files to make sure it's working and clean.

https://isohunt.to/torrent_details/16284093/The-Art-of-Aaron-Blaise-Drawing-Human-Anatomy
>>
>>2619020
Thanks, eventually I got the yearly subscription and I'm looking at his stuff on character design. I would have liked more advanced lessons on average but seeing him work made me fix a few things already.
Also he draws animals a lot and I was looking for that as well.
>>
>>2618839
Ooh, I bet you like the Blacksad series! Superb character and scene drawings, compelling stories...how the hell can two Europeans evoke the character of 1950s America so well?
>>
>>2618839
What's the difference between an academical approach and a constructive approach?
>>
>>2619102
Not sure if I worded that properly but I meant copying directly what you see (either sight size or with comparative measurements) as opposed to the approach of Bridgman or Vilppu who break down the figure in 3d blocks
>>
>>2619093
Yeah Guarnido makes amazing environments.

I'm trying to study these two things for comics, animation and character work to actually pull off the acting, and environment design for background work.

The only thing for which I can't find a valuable resource is writing, which is giving me a lot of headaches
>>
Aaron Blaise is a good step into learning anatomy. He doesn't go too much into depth, but reference via online or from books tend to help.

Most anatomy books will just assume you know features and jump straight into the construction, while Aaron actually teaches you the features. He's a good guy.
>>
I'm in the same boat. Aaron Blaise like everyone here is saying, is good. How old are you anyway?
>>
>>2622661
I eventually backed off Aaron Blaise's course in favor of New Masters Academy. I LOVE how Aaron draws, with all my heart, but I found the course too digital and too basic even if it was really well done.

For someone who works digitally and needs to learn human anatomy and such, it's absolutely fantastic and I love the practical approach he has. Also he's absolutely the best I've ever seen at drawing animals.

I'm a traditional artist, so NMA is more in line with what I was looking for. I'm really liking the old masters analysis on composition by Vilppu and the lectures on color, too bad it's mostly oils.

It's been a real eye opener so far. It's a shame there's so little material on gouache / watercolor but it's great nonetheless. For now I'm doing one month and I really recommend it if you're a traditional artist, especially oil. There's a fuckton of material on oil painting and the teacher is really good.

If you're a digital painter who's starting out or still somewhat fresh, Aaron Blaise is better.
>>
>>2618839

>poor as fuck
>wants to spend the little money he has on something he can download in 5 minutes for free

kek anon why are you this retarded? your competition doesn't care about muh morals and neither should you.
>>
>>2622747

Not him, but you tend to focus on getting the full content's worth if you purchased it with your own money.
>>
>>2622747
If I were this practical I wouldn't try to be an artist, of all things. And I dunno, what goes around comes around.
>>
>>2622661
I get ya. Im doing his course because my anatomy needs a lot of work.

Anyone got a download for his animal drawing course ? I had to pirate the anatomy one.
>>
Drawabox
>>
>>2622694
Aaron stuff works even for traditional artists. What the hell are you even talking about? Just because he's drawing on a digital pad, doesn't imply that his teachings ONLY work on digital.
>>
>>2625910
No need to feel threatened, I'm not dissing on digital art. But I'd rather have someone teach me in the same medium I use (watercolor) because certain problems need to be faced in a certain way depending on the medium. A digital artist's work flow might be completely useless to me because apart from the general ideas I simply can't use blending modes or cloning or layers, but I can pick up an oil painter's techniques.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.