[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Simon Stalenhag

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7

File: image.jpg (465KB, 1800x1013px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
465KB, 1800x1013px
What do you d/ic/kholes think of Simon Stalenhag, skill wise. I quite enjoy his pieces myself.
>>
>>2617983
First, I don't think of him at all.

But that picture is shit. Like gee, I wonder which aspects had photo reference or... fuck, even painted over.
>>
>>2617988
> I wonder which aspects had photo reference or... fuck, even painted over
Who cares as long as the piece looks consistent. Not using photo reference as a personal rule is dumb as fuck.
>>
>>2617988
You mean to tell me you wouldn't grab references to create period police cars? It' not difficult to paint cars and homes without painting over an existing image. In fact, the most impressive part of this work is the lighting on the robot which couldn't have been made from reference. What the hells is wrong with using a reference anyways?
>>
>>2617983

His storytelling skills are almost unparalleled among digital painters in my opinion. His compositions are often great. He is very good at subtle value arrangements His brushwork shows a lot of thought and restraint. Edge control is very good. His drawing is okay. It's not bad, it's not great, but okay. He is so-so with figures.
His designs are very hit and miss ranging from phenomenal to meh.
>>
>>2617983
Shitty tracer and photobasher.
>>
>>2618002

bait
>>
>>2617992
Don't call yourself an artist if you can't even draw a fucking car from imagination.
>>
>>2618007

also bait
>>
>>2618007
flash your work
>>
>>2618003
All "What do you d/ic/kholes think of _____" threads are shit bait.
Simon Stalenhag is shitty artist
>>
File: lmao.jpg (13KB, 240x251px) Image search: [Google]
lmao.jpg
13KB, 240x251px
>>2618007
>he thinks you need to be autistic in order to be an artist
>>
>>2618007

8/8 m8; b8 = gr8
>>
File: image.jpg (48KB, 512x288px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48KB, 512x288px
Wasn't even going for a bait thread, just wanted to see what other people besides myself thought of this dude, but this is hilarious.
>>
>>2617983
>>2618023
The artist is pretty good. His stuff stands out
>>
>>2618023
Yeesh that's a bad example. His interiors need work but his landscapes are nice
>>
>>2618071

what's wrong with it?
>>
>>2617988
The fuck are you even talking about dude. Youre SUPPOSED to be using reference all the time.
>>
I like him, but a lot of his stuff has a similar composition of normal thing in front big generic robot in the background, kind of tiresome after a while
>>
>>2618590
he thinks tracing or cut and past is reference.
>>
>>2618594
No, he clearly differentiated between using reference and painting over, which indicates that he thinks painting using reference is a bad thing, as if you were supposed to paint a fucking police car or whatever from your imagination for some reason.

Guys probably just a troll memeing, but still it annoys me to think that there actually are people that want to make it in art world and they are being told not to use reference, and gee, their stuff looks like shit, who couldve guessed.
>>
most of his compositions & ideas are pretty similar, but he's not as bad as genzo in that regard. not much of a fan, but i have no problem with the guy. no one else is really doing stuff that looks like him
>>
He's phenomenal. Look at how well he communicates complex forms with very simple, restrained brushstrokes. Just fantastic.

I just wish he'd do some more paintings of subjects other than people in cars or standing beside cars looking up at big robots.
>>
File: by_procession_1920.jpg (2MB, 1920x1920px) Image search: [Google]
by_procession_1920.jpg
2MB, 1920x1920px
>>2618592
That does seem to be a lot of his schtick but I'm liking his new stuff.
>>
>>2620364
Now that is pretty badass.
>>
>>2617983
I like his music.
>>
File: by_gathering2_2560.jpg (2MB, 2560x1280px) Image search: [Google]
by_gathering2_2560.jpg
2MB, 2560x1280px
>>2620370
Do not fight it, join the congregation.
>>
>>2617983
Who trained those guys to shoot? Stormtroopers?
>>
This thread is whats wrong with todays art world. Full of no skill wannabe artists that think they know anything about art. Thats why this fucking furry shit has taken over the market. Jesus christ i need to develop a virus that targets your cancerous ass.
>>
>>2620472
wait... what? do you like stalenhag or not? i cant tell
>>
>>2620482
I think he's mad at furries, idk.
>>
>>2617983
I don't know why exactly but his work is really boring.
>>
He's great. Whether you like his subject matter or not you can't deny his talent.

If you do deny his talent then I assume you're either bitter or delusional about your own skills.
>>
>>2620810

I suspect a lot of people here especially the younger crowd are not a fan of the dry brushed goauche-ish look. I think they are under the impression that it's "too simple" or something.
>>
>>2620820

What does everything have to look like it's sweating or been dipped in oil to look good?!
>>
>>2621155
his paintings look rather painted and i like it.
>>
>>2617983
love his stuff , major inspiration source.
>>
>>2621155

A highly rendered sweating loli dipped in baby oil with boxes drawn in curvilinear perspective around her with mutiple angles would be the ultimate /ic/ masterpiece
>>
File: 1469668114372.jpg (55KB, 423x600px) Image search: [Google]
1469668114372.jpg
55KB, 423x600px
>>2621313
>>
File: 1460158206522.jpg (9KB, 200x210px) Image search: [Google]
1460158206522.jpg
9KB, 200x210px
>>2617988
This is a perfect example of a salty kid who has been insulted himself, and came to the abysmal understanding that you have to insult it to have a standing opinion...

BRAVO! Yaaaaaay! Burn America
>>
His art is real high art.
Not like your shitty lolis and space marines.
This is mature art
>>
>>2617983
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jybf8bU0zU
>>
>>2622019

thats not stalenhag though. similar artist. but still
>>
I wish he stopped doing all the same shit all over again. It was interesting and fresh first few times but you can enjoy random robot/spaceship/monster in background with realistic cars in foreground only for so long. If it's his thing then he is only fetishist with painting skills and not artist interested in creating new things. But then again most "artist" you people idolize falls into the first category
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.