[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MAINSTREAM COMICS

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

File: 1428778853014.jpg (242KB, 620x913px) Image search: [Google]
1428778853014.jpg
242KB, 620x913px
There's always talk and thread about comics but they're usually just about webcomics or self-published material.

Is anyone here trying to break into the mainstream industry instead? Or even working in it?
I just wrapped up an Image pitch with an established writer and am currently doing a short story for a Kickstarter anthology. What bout you guys?

Pic is Neal Adams drawing Deadman
>>
>>2610574
I dig comics and I've considered working in the industry but I've heard that the pay is atrocious, like barely livable at all. And add on all the stress and overtime you're gonna have to put in just to draw someone else's story. Doesn't really appeal to me. I'm still thinking about either self publishing or somehow getting my own ip published by image, but that's a long ways off.

How'd you get to do a pitch? Also post work if you're comfortable.
>>
>>2610574
Please please please can all of the weebs on this board head over to /co/ and all of the comic entheusiasts take their place? They can keep the cartoons and that steven universe garbage
>>
File: 1344474161223.gif (382KB, 392x500px) Image search: [Google]
1344474161223.gif
382KB, 392x500px
>>2610758

Why the fuck are you even on a place like 4chan that was founded upon the idea of discussing anime and weeb shit? A place made by a weeb for weebs.

I seriously don't understand people like you.
It's like going Africa and complaining that there are niggers everywhere.
>>
File: 1459820515953.jpg (185KB, 921x843px) Image search: [Google]
1459820515953.jpg
185KB, 921x843px
For most /co/m/ic/ckers mainstream comics are too demanding and too low paying for said effort.
Plus landing a job on a real comic publisher is all about networking while most Anons are friendless assholes.

its a dream too high
>>
>>2610878
how much is the pay?
>>
>>2612234
tree fiddy
>>
>>2610758
Can you drink bleach? That would be good as well.
>>
>>2612234
small publishers like boom won't go beyond 200$ per page if you're lucky, large publishers have an avrange of 300~500$
>>
File: 1430367899839.gif (424KB, 259x169px) Image search: [Google]
1430367899839.gif
424KB, 259x169px
>>2610758
>can all of the weebs on this board head over to /co/ and all of the comic entheusiasts take their place?

That's not how weebs work, you're supposed to say /a/.
>>
>>2610753
Ehh it depends on what you consider atrocious. You're not gonna start off on great money but can earn upwards of $400+ per page and even more per cover.
But yeah it is a pretty stressful career alright.

I met a writer at a signing (with two BOOM books under his belt) and said I'd love to collab sometime if he was ever interested.
I'm also starting work on another Image pitch with an even more established creator, see how that goes

>>2610758
Wat?

>>2610878
>Plus landing a job on a real comic publisher is all about networking while most Anons are friendless assholes.
That's... a fair point, desu.

>>2612561
You should prolly mention that some publishers will pay as low as $50 if you're only starting. I was approached to do something at BOOM (didn't get approved) and was offered a $75 rate, which is still pennies really
>>
I had aspirations to go mainstream, but now self publishing is looking better and better each time a new comic comes out.
>>
>>2610574
As much as I hate western style superhero comics, this page is pretty fucking neat. Also no, mainstream industry of any kind i kind of repulsive
>>
>>2610764
>>>>>/a/
>>
>>2610574
Mainstream comics is an oxymoron. The comic industry is a dying niche.
>>
>>2617440
Are you gonna post anything worthwhile?
>>
File: vh2T93T.png (226KB, 498x368px) Image search: [Google]
vh2T93T.png
226KB, 498x368px
>>2610574
I always wanted to delve deep into the mainstream network, until I found out I wouldn't be drawing my own story and minimal pay turns me off. I guess web comics are the way to go nowadays.
>>
Woah, I just noticed Deadman's face. Too bad Adams isn't much of a writer. Coming of the Supermen and Batman: Odyssey are testaments to that.

Anyway, I think everybody dreams of working for DC/Marvel/etc, but anybody that doesn't have their head in the clouds knows that consistent gigs you're able to live off of are either years down the line or pointless altogether given the ability the self-publish. Indie publishing is a crap shoot in itself, given the diminished focus on anything that isn't a mini/maxiseries and doesn't have established talent associated to it

Also:
http://sktchd.com/longform/whats-the-life-of-a-comic-artist-like/
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.