[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A MESSAGE TO EVERY UNDERAGE ON THIS BOARD

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 9

File: Sketchbook02.jpg (126KB, 914x662px) Image search: [Google]
Sketchbook02.jpg
126KB, 914x662px
I'm 19 now, but I was an underage going through shitty High-school art classes up until last year.

I used to post on here back when I was 15 and was a victim of the LOOMIS meme spam. What's more important than Loomis is the practice of basic fundamentals.

Please don't decide to skip drawing from life.
I know people say it's important, but most of the time they never say why.

If you want to make something from your imagination, you have to make it out of basic shapes. I'm not talking about circles, squares, and triangles. I'm talking about cylinders, prisms, and spheres.

You have to think in 3D on paper.
If you don't know how to think in 3D (and I'm not talking, "Oh man I can make a cube! I'm set! I'm going to keep drawing from imagination and get better from practice!") you're hurting yourself tremendously. You learn how to think in 3D by de-constructing objects from life. It's not about simply copying what you see onto a piece of paper. You have to see through the form you're drawing. Pic related.

I have immense regret over not learning about this sooner. It was practically hidden on the /ic/ wiki when I was going through the resources.

I was left wondering "Why is everything I make so flat? What's so great about construction?"

Every time I tried to find an answer, I was redirected to garbage where men were created from flat 2D shapes, etc.

So please, DRAWING FROM LIFE IS THE SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT THING YOU CAN DO TO BECOME A BETTER ARTIST.
>>
Wtf..You were a fucking idiot then, i as..Oh no..

Its fucking basic knowledge that you need to know what Construction Lines etc..are.
>>
>>2609526
>What's more important than Loomis is the practice of basic fundamentals (...) drawing from life.
This clearly is on the sticky. And LOOMIS is short for read the sticky.
>You have to think in 3D on paper
Isn't this the first thing Loomis teaches you in FWAP? although not very explicitly.
>>
>>2609538
If you look at the beginner thread on here, it's obviously not.

As previously stated, I went through 4 years of "art" classes and never saw anything of the sort.
>>
>>2609540
>LOOMIS is short for read the sticky

Tell that 3 years ago to someone new to this board. It's not heavily spammed today as it was back then.

FWAP does show you to think in 3D, but anyone new to drawing in such a manner will do it incredibly poorly with a very limited understanding.
>>
>>2609538

>you have to make it out of basic shapes
>I'm talking about cylinders, prisms, and spheres.

That's like the first thing he talks about on FWAP. Either way beginners should start with KtD.
>>
File: 1468368652821.jpg (89KB, 684x513px) Image search: [Google]
1468368652821.jpg
89KB, 684x513px
>>2609526

You're right OP. I think this is starting to come out and most everyone calls out people who spam Loomis like that nowadays. But I still think there is something to be said for people coming to the realization that they need to go back and really study the fundamentals. When people start they think drawing boxes and simple objects from life is boring, but if they stick it out they realize how important it is and go back to it understanding what they need to get out of it.

To some extent I think everyone is going to feel like they can skip the fundamentals, but only by struggling with more difficult things will they realize how important they are.
>>
>>2609559
>>2609617

Yea fun with a pencil isn't the best place to start I think. Keys to Drawing is fantastic and what I recommend to everyone. It sort installs the drawing program you need then it's up to you to just draw from life and reference a lot.
>>
File: Blook Butt.jpg (229KB, 1451x571px) Image search: [Google]
Blook Butt.jpg
229KB, 1451x571px
>>2609526
>I used to post on here back when I was 15 and was a victim of the LOOMIS meme spam. What's more important than Loomis is the practice of basic fundamentals.

People use Loomis as short hand for the practice of basic fundamentals, because that's exactly what Loomis' books articulate.

>>2609540
>although not very explicityly

Literally one of the first pages

>>2609559
>FWAP does show you to think in 3D, but anyone new to drawing in such a manner will do it incredibly poorly with a very limited understanding.

That's normal. Someone new to something will ALWAYS do that thing incredibly poorly with a very limited understanding.

>>2609617
This to be quite perfectly honest. Competent observational drawing is basically a prerequisite to any of Loomis' books, which are all quite "intermediate" in nature. The fact he doesn't teach that specifically is probably the single biggest weakness of his books.
>>
>>2609630
>Literally one of the first pages
Nice. I read it so long ago that I was not sure if it talked about it explicitly.
>>
I'm still a beginner myself and one of the things I've been wondering that I haven't been able to get an answer to is why you need to draw from life instead of photos. I'm not saying I refuse to draw from life, but rather I want to know why and how it's different, so I know what to look for when I'm drawing from life instead of guessing what to do.
>>
>>2609526
Absolutely. Drawing from imagination is basically drawing with chunks of reality you've stored, either by using references or drawing from life, on your memory.

I was wondering why was so fucking hard to draw from imagination until I found a great blog about it. It talked about passive and active memory, and building up a database of subjects you can refer to later.

Actually Loomis is more of an intermediate level. Absolute beginners are never going to progress. Imagine doing something too difficult without knowing it and wondering why you fail over and over again.

And basic shapes ain't "shapes". They're "forms".
>>
File: loomis.jpg (55KB, 692x468px) Image search: [Google]
loomis.jpg
55KB, 692x468px
>>2609627

I'm finishing FWAP and I'm frustrated with that book.
Keys to Drawing is very clear and organized, and each chapter has a last page reminding you of anything you've just read.
In comparison, FWAP just throws important info at my face and isn't really structured (why is "drawing from life" after the Last Words?).

Take perspective: it begins with 2 points perspective, explained in only 1 page, no explanation is given on how Loomis placed the Measuring Points (M.P.).
It took me hours to get that picture and I'm still unsure if I got it right or if I'm just bullshiting myself.
> pic related is what I think he meant, and my choice for the station point may be wrong
> he didn't talk about the station point so he may use another way to get those damn M.P.

I'll read Perspective Made Easy next so it doesn't bother me too much if I failed to understand Loomis stuff on perspective (I'll just read it again after I'm done with PmE), but for a beginner's book I found it challenging.

Well it doesn't matter, I'm a filthy beginner so I wasn't expecting to get everything right after the first try. It will take the time it will take.
>>
>>2610165
Depth perception.

That being said, you're not missing out on that much by drawing from photos, but find a life drawing class/meetup If you can.
>>
>>2609526
can you post some of your work? Surely you understand that this is the only way anyone will ever bother taking advice from a random anon on 4chan.
>>
>>2610221
Its good advice irregardless but I'd love to see the skill level of a d/ic/k that just turned 19.
>>
File: mfwwhen.jpg (24KB, 381x396px) Image search: [Google]
mfwwhen.jpg
24KB, 381x396px
>>2610221
Yeah surely saying that you should study from life is bad advice until proven otherwise

Retard
>>
>>2610226
No, drawing from life is great. Saying Loomis is a meme however IS bad advice and it's the sign of a frustrated shit tier artist whose advice should not be taken seriously. Drawing from life is what you should do in addition to proper theoretical studies of the fundamentals of art. If all you do is draw from life, you will not go anywhere because you don't understand what it is you are supposed to be conscious of.
>>
>>2610238
Loomis is overrated as fuck

>m-muh construction
>>
>>2610167
Got the name of that blog senpai?
>>
>>2609526
>I am 19 but would like to preach my wisdom and experience
Holy shit, you are the textbook definition of Dunning Kruger
>>
>>2610241
And it's fine for you to have a baseless opinion like that. But the moment you want other people, especially beginners, to take your own opinion as serious advice, you should provide your work so they can judge if you are worthy of taking advice from, considering your opinion is usually associated with that of very bad artists. I personally have never seen a good artist talk shit about Loomis and the moment they write "Loomis is a meme" I already assume they are just shitposters who don't even draw themselves.
>>
>>2610249
Is drawing from life a bad idea?

>le merc me
>>
>>2610250
Are you stupid or unable to read?
Just the post before where you replied with "Loomis is overrated as fuck" I began by stating "drawing from life is great"
>>
>>2609526
pretty sure nobody on /ic/ is underage since it goes against the rules.
>>
>drawing from life is good
>post your art or I won't believe you

thanks /ic/
>>
op the problem isn't what you were told or how clearly it was told to you, the problem is that knowledge is a very tricky thing to pass on. You think you've discovered a major key today but you will keep finding those again and again as you progress, and every time it happens you will wish you had understood it earlier. The truth is the only way to understand a lesson, to truly understand it, you have to draw consistently, always push your limits and always challenge yourself. This will make you confront artistic problems and from those problems you can find answers in the unlimited amount of works and resources you can find online
>>
im kind of confused, because constructing images into 3D shapes/objects is the whole point of FWAP?
>>
loomis is an introduction to fundamentals (constructive drawing)
>>
which loomis book is best to start with for a shit tier artfag like myself?
>>
>>2609526
can you give more tips like youtube videos or some book that talks about what are you saying, please?
>>
>>2610502
fwap
>>
>>2610173

Perspective made easy is also great.

Tbh I'd probably steer people away from fun with a pencil just because you can get it better elsewhere, but Drawing the Heads and Hands is the gold standard of head drawing.
>>
>>2610293

I just want the keys so I can keep myself from wandering down all these wrong paths and just do it right and know exactly what to do the first time. So far the art journey has been pretty meandering. I wish there were a better way
>>
File: 1444436883080.png (123KB, 456x434px) Image search: [Google]
1444436883080.png
123KB, 456x434px
>>2609526
Thanks!
>>
>>2610248
You may say that if he's trying to lecture art pros instead of beginners or if he's wrong in any sense.

>Fact
>Something I don't like.

Argument solid as diarrhea.
>>
File: 1464586465190.jpg (864KB, 1228x1228px) Image search: [Google]
1464586465190.jpg
864KB, 1228x1228px
>>2609526
thanks for keeping a eye out for the little man op
>>
>>2609526

>What's more important than Loomis
Stopped reading there
Nothing is more important than Loomis
>>
>>2610673
>Nothing is more important than Loomis
stopped reading there
>>
>>2610800
>Nothi
stoppe
>>
>>2610652
I see you are unfamiliar with the idea that you shouldn't try to teach something unless you know it and know it well. Whatever, keep offering advice to people slightly lower than your low rung of the ladder to feel good about yourself and calling it """teaching""", faggot
>>
File: king.png (283KB, 623x469px) Image search: [Google]
king.png
283KB, 623x469px
>>2610817
So the advice of drawing from life is good or bad depending on who says it?

Talking about dunning-kruger
>>
>>2610802
>>
>>2610817
Are you telling me that I shouldn't listen to any advice coming from /ic/ because they're a bunch of wannabe artists on a chinese cartoon image board?

Why fucking post for critique then? Why being here at all?

Honestly if you can't tell the difference between sharing your experiences based on your mistakes and teaching others, you are too high on chromosomes.
>>
File: 1461159236540.jpg (107KB, 896x377px) Image search: [Google]
1461159236540.jpg
107KB, 896x377px
>>2609526
A MESSAGE TO EVERY UNDERAGE ON THIS BOARD

GET OFF THIS BOARD AND DO SOMETHING IMPORTANT LIKE MAKING FRIENDS BEFORE ITS TOO LATE!

but seriously if people cant decide for themselves *how to learn* aka knowing good and bad advice then they AGMI

AINT

GONNA

M A K E

IT!
>>
>>2610673
>Nothing is more important than Loomis

> Nature is the best instructor - Paul Cezanne
> When all is said and done, nature is your best instructor - Loomis

I like Loomis but he's like a guide on our journey, we're the one who are travelling.
>>
Drawing from life is literally THE best advice about learning how to draw

I'm wondering why it isn't in the sticky with a dancing dinosaur
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.