[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Self Expression

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: e.jpg (31KB, 535x708px) Image search: [Google]
e.jpg
31KB, 535x708px
What are your experiences when it comes to expressing yourself through art? Does it come easy do you? Do people "get" your art?
>>
Whatever you make is self expression. Some people are boring, some people are lazy, some people are retarded, you can see from their work.
>>
all i ever draw is boring portrait garbage
i feel like i have the skill to draw interesting images but its like my brain is completely empty
i dont seem to have much of a personality, so "getting" my art isnt that hard for people with eyes
>>
>>2608681
Usually people have a unique idea or aesthetic they wish to recreate
>>
>>2608678
When you're going through the motions with a piece but you're actually care about other things I don't think that's self expression. When you're catering tropes to be a crowd pleaser that's not self expression. When you're scared to actually speak your mind so you create vague art, that's not self expression.
>>
>>2608689
Nah, it is. Just like some people follow trends, are politically correct or have a pleb opinion. You can see a person's interest and personality from their art.
>>
>>2608689
This is true. Expression is only credible when it manifests in the complexity or volume of the piece. Expression represented with a symbol or word is a weaker, less credible self-expression.
>>
>>2608888
If I sent you a random sequence of characters you could not tell what my personality is like. I could also send you a message that deceives you about who I am. You're overestimating your abilities.
>>
>>2608915
What do you mean by symbols? You mean spoken/written language? I would argue it's our best tool for communicating reliably. Drawings and paintings are MUCH more ambiguous.
>>
>>2609003
Sure, words and symbols are great if you're making a sign or a marquee but in the context of painting, ambiguousness is more impactful because it can be reflected upon and interpreted. I had thought we were just discussing works of art, not communication altogether.
>>
>>2609006
I actually wonder if ambiguity is a desired outcome, because most of the time you get it for free. Create something random and people can interpret all sorts of things into it. It's strikes me as bolder to speak with clarity. I definitely make my work more vague and confusing when I lack confidence in what I'm trying to communicate, or when I fear repercussions.

I would argue that art gets its impact from being perceived as a more genuine look into a person's mind, especially when there's a lack of monetary incentive for the artist. When someone lovingly dedicates 20 hours to create a piece (also consider the lifetime of practice leading up to that) about a particular experience in their life, that gives it weight. You get to see what's important to another human being, you feel connected.

Of course ambiguity can be a good tool to challenge your audience. E.g. when you want them to think for themselves instead of parroting your own conclusions. However it seems to me the art community uses this as a crutch by and large and can be dishonest about it, endlessly throwing random shit in your face purportedly to challenge and inspire your imagination, when in the reality the artist's mind was empty.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.