[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Going All Out - Freelance or Studio?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: medieval helmet.jpg (277KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
medieval helmet.jpg
277KB, 600x900px
I live in Canada, I'm 25, and money isn't an issue. I'm late to this career but I am willing to put in the work and time, I just want to know what my best course of action is here.

If I go the studio route, I'm enrolling in Sheridan College here and going into either the Animation or Illustration program. That way, I can get a work visa much faster and take advantage of the huge industry in the US.

If I go freelance, it won't really matter where I live, and I'll be up $45,000 but it will be harder to get work and I'll need to be more resourceful and business savvy.

What would you do?
>>
>>2604413
freelance
>>
>>2604413
Live as cheap as possible while devoting yourself to developing a quality portfolio. Once you have that, freelance. If you're good, companies in the USA can put in a request for a visa on your behalf citing your indispensable skills or something I think. That's how Marko Djurdjevic was brought over here apparently. Not sure how hard it is to convince them that your skills are needed enough though. Canada has some studios anyway.
>>
>>2604440

I'm told you're eligible if you have 4 years of college or 12 years of work experience, or a combination of both (e.g. 2 years of college + 6 years of work)

I have never heard of a person who didn't meet these requirements being given an H1-B work visa to live in the US permanently

Not interested in the slightest in temporary visas where you can work there for 3-4 years then need to go back. Fuck that, moving to the US is a career move.
>>
Don't leave Canada. They're making Klaus there for goodness sake
>>
>>2604413
Even most "big" successful freelancers teach (or have some other gig -- teaching is what I see the most) to supplement income, keep that in mind. There's a lot less money out there than you think. It depends what you want out of it -- if income is important, I'd think about going the studio route. If the freedom is more valuable, freelance. Not sure about the state of Canada freelance exactly -- I'm speaking from US experience only.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.